[WotD] Chapter Two OOC

498 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Damage

I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 7, 3 = 10.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 1 = 1.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

The flying sword is now bloodied.

A bunch of people who used to participate in this fight would go, but they're all either dead or unconscious.

Darusthanav produces his odd wand and fires a single magic missile at the sword.

Damage
I rolled 1d4+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Back around to Charn. That's our fastest combat round yet this encounter.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Admittedly, it's been months, but I don't THINK Charn has used his action surge this encounter. So, he'll do that if the first go doesn't drop the sword.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 14, 5 = 19.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 19, 5 = 24.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

The sword collapses.

Victory is yours.

Some of you are even awake to witness it.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Some general thoughts on the combat -

1) Caleb was effectively CC'd for the entire ordeal. Given the number of times he had to spend his action casting Spare the Dying, he was able to contribute very little to reducing the enemy damage output. A few well placed cantrips or flanks would have contributed to ending the encounter.

2) The beginning of the combat was anomalously deadly. Your front line characters took a lot of damage early, likely as a result of flanks that weren't countered. Consequently, some of the middle to late game combat rounds didn't have effective flanking. Brianna is obviously a big fan of charging into the enemy backline, which is a very risky strategy. If your backline uses her to flank effectively, then you'll gain a lot more than you lose. If not, you can expect her to drop every combat.

3) The door to the lazaretto gave you the option to decide where you wanted to fight the combat. One option would be to set up a front line at the door and have a defensive slug fest as you limited the amount of melee and flanking. Another option would be to put the melee characters on the other side of the door and use the walls to prevent the ranged characters from being engaged. The last option would be to commit fully and send everyone into the room. I think this acted against the PCs - there was a general lack of cohesiveness to the way characters engaged. Something to consider for the future.

4) The fight was obviously a deadly encounter, but nobody died. You've blown through a ton of resources (as expected for a deadly encounter), and can consider whether a short or a long rest is appropriate here.

Happy to discuss the fight with folks if they have comments, questions, or concerns.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Caleb is pretty happy with the way things turned out. He emerged unscathed, nobody died and most of his friends are still on their feet.

But he thinks a long rest after chatting with this monk is in order. It's also probably finally time for him to take full inventory of the scrolls the party has collected thus far. It occurred to me three or four rounds ago that some of those might have come in handy here, except he would never know because he didn't bother to read them before now.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Since it is going to come up in the nearish future.

I, I, I, I, H
I rolled 1d100, the result is 94 = 94.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 22 = 22.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 59 = 59.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 25 = 25.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 66 = 66.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Follow up

I, I, I, I, "art", Table B, Table C
I rolled 3d6, the result is 4, 4, 6 = 14.
I rolled 3d6, the result is 3, 1, 4 = 8.
I rolled 3d6, the result is 6, 3, 4 = 13.
I rolled 3d6, the result is 6, 1, 6 = 13.
I rolled 2d4, the result is 1, 2 = 3.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 4 = 4.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

The good stuff

B, C, C, C, C
I rolled 1d100, the result is 37 = 37.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 58 = 58.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 62 = 62.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 84 = 84.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 71 = 71.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

We'll skip the search rolls since you guys are likely going to pass those easily and there are 10 of you. The room is well appointed with loot.

Potion of Animal Friendship
Potion of Invulnerability x2
Quaal's Feather Token
Scroll of Planar Binding
Circlet of Blasting x2
Bracers of Archery x2
Cloak of Protection x2
Decanter of Endless Water x2
Deck of Illusions x2
348 gp
127 sp
1,457 cp

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Mundane Items:

6 Longswords, no longer animated
2 Suits of Full Plate, no longer animated
1 Rug, terrible condition
90 arrows, never animated
2 Crossbows, no joke here
2 L shaped devices that look quite odd
2 bags of an odd powder that looks kinda like finely cracked black pepper but smells all wrong

Trigger
Trigger's picture

I've got three scrolls accounted for on my sheet. One was Revivify, one was Silent Image, and the third I couldn't remember. I was only tracking them, since I figured someone else had actually taken them. I know there were other's. At some point, we had picked up a Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion scroll I think.

Are there any other bow users besides Cor'val and Eryndir, or can we assume that they take the Bracers of Archery?

I'll do some arithmetic and figure out how to divide the coinage.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Can Caleb cast a spell from a scroll he isn't high enough level to cast otherwise? Like is there a mechanic that lets me try but I have to make a roll or I have some kind of mishap?

I think it would be pretty funny to try to bring someone back to life but accidentally animate their corpse as a zombie instead.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

From the SRD:


If the spell is on your class’s spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your Spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other effect.

Not quite as humorous as hoped.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

A rough recounting of loot so far:

The scrolls received in payment from Hatepshon:
Animal Friendship
Comprehend Languages
Invisibility
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion
Revivify
Tenser's Floating Disk
Unseen Servant

Of these, the Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion scroll struck some of you as unusual - it was worth far more than the expected rewards.

Reward from Simon Kendarr in apology for asking you to act as border guards at the Outpost:
2 potions of healing
1 scroll of Revivify
1 scroll of Silent Image
4 canteens containing an unpalatable but strong liquor
1 tambourine
1 pan flute

Discovered when Able stepped on it:
Unbelievably sharp crystal dagger
6 pieces of gold,
a small book entitled The Upcoming Revolution,
an iron medallion with the same stylized "C" known to represent the Thousandfold Men of Industry.

Recovered from the Thousandfold Men of Industry attempting to sacrifice Hatepshon:
The bodies contain a total of 2200 cp, 80 sp, and 7 gp. There are three gems, one is green, one is red, and one is mostly clear but has veins of yellow/brown minerals dancing through it. It might be blemished or it might be crazy valuable. Hard to say.

There are four scimitars and four sets of leather armor. There are some personal effects, including letters from loved ones and communist pamphlets. There are three canteens which appear uninteresting but one other canteen which is obviously magical.

Marx must have also left his pack in the confusion, and Eryndir can easily find it while looting. It has 50 gp, a small bag of various spices, a golden holy symbol in the form of a sylized C, a spell scroll, and two potions.

Found on the corpse of a Halfling making a delivery to a Watchtower:
1 gallon of garum, two servings of hardtack, one Everburning Torch, a small golden pendant around the neck representing a devotion to The Feudal Order, and some thoroughly bloodstained clothing.

Found in the Lazeretto of the unground ship
Potion of Animal Friendship
Potion of Invulnerability x2
Quaal's Feather Token
Scroll of Planar Binding
Circlet of Blasting x2
Bracers of Archery x2
Cloak of Protection x2
Decanter of Endless Water x2
Deck of Illusions x2
348 gp
127 sp
1,457 cp
6 Longswords, no longer animated
2 Suits of Full Plate, no longer animated
1 Rug, terrible condition
90 arrows, never animated
2 Crossbows, no joke here
2 L shaped devices that look quite odd
2 bags of an odd powder that looks kinda like finely cracked black pepper but smells all wrong

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I think it makes sense for Caleb to hold onto the two scrolls of revivify. I will defer to the judgment of the two assembled parties here in the ship to determine if they think I should also keep the scroll of planar binding in my pack until we return to civilization. I'm not claiming it as loot, but I know for a fact that it's on Caleb's list and it may not be on anyone else's.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

There is a ton of loot to distribute here. Some of these items are magic items that require attunement. In 5e, the "slots" system from previous editions has gone away. Instead, you can be attuned to 3 magic items that require attunement (barring something that gives you an exception to that).

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Magic%20Items#content

From the list above, the following items require attunement:

Circlet of Blasting x2
Bracers of Archery x2
Cloak of Protection x2

Assuming the Bracers go to the Wood Elves, you'll still want to figure out who takes the Cloaks and the Circlets.

With regard to the scrolls, the following folks can cast the following scrolls:
Animal Friendship - Cor'val
Comprehend Languages - Able, Kairon
Invisibility - Able, Kairon
Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion - Kairon
Revivify - Prythurkan, Caleb
Tenser's Floating Disk - Kairon
Unseen Servant - Able, Kairon
Silent Image - Kairon
Planar Binding - Caleb

After you decide who gets what scrolls, there are still the Potions and Wonderous Items:

Potion of Animal Friendship
Potion of Invulnerability x2
Quaal's Feather Token
Decanter of Endless Water x2
Deck of Illusions x2

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Assuming the party takes a long rest, the rules for which can be found here, hit points are restored to full, half of spent HD come back (which happens to be zero here), spells come back, and eight hours pass.

There is no disturbance to the rest, which transpires peacefully. Everyone who was knocked out is now up and at 'em.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Is the monk still meditating?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Yup. He doesn't really move except for breathing.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Are we holding to the idea that a quiver holds 20 arrows? If so, Cor'val will refill his quiver up to 20. If it's an option, he'll take one of the bracers of archery too, and strap them on his arms with a huge grin on his face.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Yes, quivers hold 20 arrows.

Anyone else taking any loot?

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

If nobody is trying to kill anyone over taking things, Able is interested in a cloak.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Caleb will take the scrolls he can use and one of the circlets of blasting, if both of them don't end up being claimed by other characters when everyone wakes up.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir grabbed one of the sets of Bracers of Archery and cuddled with it during the long rest to attune it. He's wearing it now. He also refills his quiver with arrows and throws a second quiver into his pack. (Assuming that's about a third of the arrows that were found.)

He's not affirmatively grabbing anything else, but if no one else does, there are certainly things he's not leaving behind. (For instance, if only one of the Cloaks of Protection is spoken for, he'll take the other. But having grabbed a set of Bracers, he's not going to do that unless it seems like one of the Cloaks is otherwise getting left behind. Same with a Potion of Anminal Friendship and Invulnerability. Those are likely more useful to others, so he's not making an effort to take them. But he'll take them if they're otherwise unclaimed.)

He'd also take one of the bags of black powder and an L-shaped device to examine later, unless two other people think they'd rather have them.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

As a note, there have been a few times where I've put loot in my inventory not because Eryndir was trying to hoard stuff or be greedy, but only because no one else has mentioned taking it and I didn't want it to get lost. I.e., the three gems found on the communists, the magical canteen, the potions of healing.

Now that we're taking another look, if anyone wants those items, feel free to claim them.

Others that were less obvious, I assumed they were split evenly. I.e., the four sets of leather armor and four scimitars from the communists. Those I assumed were divided evenly and Eryndir sold his at the tower.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Cor'val will take the scroll of Animal Friendship, too, since he's the only one who could use it. If no one wants one of the decanters of endless water, Cor'val does want one of those; he'd be fascinated by how it works.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Because Caleb is dedicated not to civilization in general but really more the government in particular, he finds the idea of performing his morning prayers to Muh Roads while inside a ruined dungeon at least distasteful, if not blasphemous. If Charn is willing and they think it is safe to do so, he requests the dragonborn accompany him back through the corridors they took to get here and up to the surface to pray outside instead. He must have removed his armor to sleep the night before so if that makes the prospect of climbing back up the rope or whatever a little less risky, so much the better.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Clerics in 5e don't have to worry about praying at a set time each day to get spells back. They can get spells back when they finish a long rest.

That said, it makes a lot of sense to pray on a schedule, so this works.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

I believe Eryndir and Cor'val took the Bracers before settling in for this long rest. It may sound strange, but I recommend we do another long rest immediately so that the other folks grabbing magic items can attune them before we move on.

...unless our DM is willing to say that this division of loot happened before we rested, so that they're already attuned. Eryndir could've placed the Cloaks over the dragonborn as they slept...

Cronono
Cronono's picture

It happened before you rested.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The pistols are also magical, but their enchantment likely doesn't make too much sense to the gun-toting Wood Elves. These Renaissance pistols are enchanted to convert the explosion from black powder into force, rather than fire. There is no mechanical difference for your purposes, but the pistols are usable in the Phlogiston without causing the user to instantly be engulfed in a fireball.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Alrighty - any questions on loot or what the hell is going on on this space boat?

Trigger
Trigger's picture

The magic items and the potions should all be accounted for, correct? I know I've got the Bracers on my sheet and attuned. The scrolls should have been divided up to the magic users, as well.

Other than that, it's all going into someone's pack to be divided later, I think. Should be good to go.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Can I make a roll to see whether Eryndir can determine the power source that's causing all the arcing electricity? I.e., figure out what is needed to shut it down?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Sure can. Pick a skill, tell me what you're doing with it, roll, and I'll tell you results.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Okay, I still tend to find myself confused between places where Perception would be useful versus places where Investigation is more appropriate. I don't have my PHB on hand, so Google offered me a description of Perception that I liked (because I have a better mod).

"Or you might try to spot things that are obscured or easy to miss, whether they are orcs lying in ambush on a road, thugs hiding in the shadows of an alley, or candlelight under a closed secret door."

I'm hoping that I can spot something that's easy to miss. Namely,

1) some indication of the source of the electricity,
2)a switch or level that might turn it off, and
3) possible unintended consequences of doing so, like disabling containment for more fungus/dust/infections bad stuff.

I know that's a lot for one roll, so if you want me to break it out, let me know. But that's what Eryndir would like to assess while looking at the room, if possible.

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 1, 6 = 7.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

"Hey, where'd my belly button go?" - Eryndir, probably.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Eryndir is pretty sure that there are, in fact, mushrooms in the room. All this talk of electric mushrooms is merely buffoonery.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

If we're using Perception rolls, Cor'val would like to make one. While he might not specifically look for levers or switches, anything that doesn't look like just more of the same in the room might stand out to him.

Also, would Survival apply to identify some of the mushrooms? I'll roll it just in case it does.

Perception, Survival
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 9, 5 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 3, 5 = 8.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cor'val's perception leads him to believe that the fungii are connected - you're dealing with maybe one or two mushrooms with several caps rather than a field of proximal mushrooms.

Cor'val's survival tells him that these mushrooms are definitely not from around here - he has never seen their like.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Any other rolls and/or questions and/or tomfoolery?

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Does Charn perceive anything?

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 12, 2 = 14.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Charn gets similar results to Cor'val. The mushrooms are all interconnected toward their base. The carpet of fungus transmits electricity back and forth. If you burn this all down, that will likely deal with the electric toadstools. If you want a more delicate solution, you'll have to figure out how to best navigate the mushroom currents.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Well, folks, who wants to light this up? Or try something else?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Apologies everyone for my delay in responding. My move was unexpectedly long.

If you would like to further investigate the network of mushrooms and this odd room, there are lots of applicable skills you can apply. If you'd like to do something else, that works too. Let me know what interests you.

Pages