[WotD] Chapter Two OOC

532 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cronono
Cronono's picture

A rather disappointing damage roll on the armor is still enough to smash it to bits. The animated armor is destroyed.

Darusthanav, in an uncharacteristic display of bravery for the kobold, moves to D6. He produces a curious wand and holds it in the direction of the rug. It shoots a single magic missile, something which any interested party can scrutinize with an Arcana check.

Pew pew
I rolled 1d4+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

That sort of damage roll may explain why Darusthanav spends more time hiding than attacking.

It is now Charn's turn.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Is there a point beyond which I can't really keep casting the cantrip to stabilize Brianna? She's really getting her teeth kicked in now. Does the spell just stabilize her every time, no matter how many death saves she fails?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

According to the section on death saving throws:

On your third success, you become stable (see below). On your third failure, you die. The successes and failures don’t need to be consecutive; keep track of both until you collect three of a kind. The number of both is reset to zero when you regain any Hit Points or become stable.

Continuing to use your cantrip is helpful, as she doesn't die. It also is hurtful, as you might be able to help other PCs kill the monsters. One middle of the road option is to set up a flank while keeping her alive. You have a few other options available to you as well - other folks should look at what they've got and consider whether or not other options are directly applicable to this situation.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Able will enter combat to remove Brianna; hopefully after Caleb has stabilized her.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cool. Able can go back on the init on 3, which means it'll go Charn, Enemy 0, Enemy 6, then Able.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

If Charn wants to stay where he is, on Caleb's turn he will cast spare the dying on Brianna again then move around the dancing sword to H9 to flank it with him. If I remember correctly, I can do so without provoking because I never left the sword's threatened space.

I don't know what the best thing for him to do in that situation would be, though. I guess the Ready action? If he readies an action to attack after I flank with him, he will gain advantage. I'm open to suggestions; I don't want Brianna to die, and she will if she gets hit one more time or fails another death save. But if just standing in a different square for a round helps someone else, I definitely want to do that.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Your understanding is correct - Caleb would not provoke with that move for the reasons you've described. I'll let you guys decide what to do tactically.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Also, I'm totally comfortable with players discussing tactics in the OOC thread. As far as I'm concerned, you're all more familiar with combat in the world than you are as players in 5e. Feel free to discuss the options you have with the other players and come to a decision using your collective thoughts.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

I'll delay for Caleb so I can flank. If that's a go, here are my attack rolls on the nearest nasty.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 10, 5 = 15.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 9, 5 = 14.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Flying Sword 6 emerges from the darkness and attacks Prythurkan.

Attack, Damage
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 19, 3 = 22.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

8 damage to Prythurkan from M9 drops Prythurkan. He is now bleeding out.

It is now Cor'val's turn at the top of Round 4. I'll post a map in a minute. After Cor'val will be Caleb, which will trigger Charn's ready. There is no "delay" action in 5e.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I'm wrong, it is now Able's turn. I'll post an updated map in a minute.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

For @deadDMwalking's convenience:

One error, the number of rounds of Bless remaining on Charn, Brianna, and Prythurkan are off. Charn hates rolling Bless, so I'm not sure it matters much.

After Able, it will be Cor'val's turn.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I was going to drag Brianna from the fight.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Sure, but what route are you taking? If you want to get to her this round, you're going to have to provoke as you'll need to take a move and a dash action. You could disengage and move, but that won't get you all the way there.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Some thoughts on mechanics here. The fastest route for Able to move to Brianna would cause Able to provoke when he moves from F6 to G7. He might be willing to risk that. However, he would then end up flanked by two animated swords when he gets to Brianna - standing in I9 to grab Brianna could be a death sentence.

Able could disengage first, then move to Brianna. He wouldn't provoke from Sword 2, but he would still end up flanked.

Able could provoke from Sword 2, move to I9, then dodge. The swords on either side of him would have advantage from flanking but disadvantage from the dodge. Able wouldn't be moving Brianna at this point (effectively, an uncontested grapple), but he also would be less likely to take a ton of damage.

The good news about Attacks of Opportunity in 5e is that they only trigger on voluntary movement. Moving Brianna while she is unconscious means that AoOs wouldn't trigger on her. Only the grappler would provoke.

All of this ignores the fact that Prythurkan is also now bleeding out, in case that changes anything.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I feel lucky. The goal is to move her out as fast as possible; I'm willing to provoke up to 3 attacks if possible. If that won't get me out, though, how about I move up (disengaging from 2 as I pass) and then move next round (disengaging from one of the animated swords next round).

I'll just say that I didn't want to fight these guys, anyway.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Got it. Able moves to I9, which is the most direct route. He provokes from Sword 2.

Attack, Damage
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 16, 3 = 19.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Able is struck, but only for 2 points of damage. He is currently flanked by Swords 1 and 3, but has his hands around Brianna. He is positioned to get her out within a round unless circumstances change.

Cor'val's turn.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Cor'val will move to E7 and fire on sword 1 in I8.

13 arrows.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 14, 7 = 21.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cor'val "bloodies" Sword 1.

Caleb's turn.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I think we'll still proceed with the earlier plan unless some part of it exposes me to extreme risk and might cause me to flub the spell. If not, Caleb moves to H9 to flank with Charn, which I assume triggers his readied action. After that's all hashed out, he will go ahead and cast the cantrip on Brianna again to stabilize her.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

To confirm, Caleb casts Spare the Dying before moving, stabilizing Brianna, move to H9, trigger Charn's readied action, and have 4 squares of movement left to do something like move to I11 and flank with Able or J11 and flank with a ranged character like Eryndir or Cor'val.

Is that right? If so, where does he end up?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I guess that depends on whether Charn destroys the enemy we're flanking. If not, I think I'll stick around. If he does, J11 sounds good (Able isn't interested in combat so flanking with him probably wouldn't help much).

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Understood. I'll go ahead and roll Bless for Charn since he hates it when you buff him.

Bless 1, Bless 2
I rolled 1d4, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 1 = 1.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Sorry, I thought I had finished responding to this. Charn hits because of the Bless, but he doesn't quite destroy it. Caleb still has 4 squares of movement, a standard action, and a bonus action (if any) available to him as he stands in H9.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Casting the spell doesn't take my standard action?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

When I confirmed that he cast spare the dying, I didn't actually note it down on the map. He has movement left, and a bonus (if any). Brianna is now stabilized.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I don't think I have any bonus actions. Caleb will stay where he is and continue flanking.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Bird disengages and moves SE, SE, SE, E, E, E. He ends his movement in N8.

Animated Armor 4 moves West to E4. It multiattacks Eryndir.

Attack, 2nd, Damage, 2nd.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 16, 4 = 20.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 1, 2 = 3.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 5, 2 = 7.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

One hit for 3 damage to Eryndir. The wood elf still isn't bloodied.

Flying Sword 1, flanking with Flying Sword 3, attacks Able with advantage.

Attack, Adv, Damage
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 8, 3 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Able is able to evade the sword.

Flying Sword 2 moves one square south, flanking Eryndir with Armor 4, and attacks with advantage.

Attack, Adv, Damage
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 16, 3 = 19.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Eryndir is hit for 8 damage, bloodying him.

Flying Sword 3, flanking with Flying Sword 1, attacks Able.

Attack, Advantage, Damage
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 20, 3 = 23.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 8, 1 = 9.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Able is thoroughly skewered by a flying sword. He is now bloodied.

Kairon moves E, SE, E. She is now flanked by Sword 2 and Sword 1. She flanks Sword 2 with Eryndir. She casts the Sword Burst cantrip. Swords 2 and 1 must make Dexterity saves.

Sword 1, Sword 2.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 17, 2 = 19.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Sword 1 is damaged by Kairon's swords.

Damage
I rolled 1d6, the result is 2 = 2.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Sword 2 is dead. Eryndir's turn. I'll post a map shortly.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

For convenience.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir will use his Cunning Action first, to Disengage from the Animated Armor. He will then use all 35 of his Fleet-Footed Movement to go through G4, H4, I4, J4, K4, L3, to end up in M2.

He will then use his Standard Action to pull a Potion of Greater Healing from his pack and chug it.

HP Back from Potion of Greater Healing.
I rolled 4d4+4, the result is 2, 4, 4, 3, 4 = 17.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

*I forgot to mention it, but Eryndir will also drop his torch as a Free Action as he goes, hoping to be at least somewhat in the dark while away from the main body of fighting, relying on his Darkvision if necessary. (Though it looks like his future targets will be illuminated.)

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I've left the torch in J3, let me know if it should be somewhere else.

Brianna is stable. She mumbles but she doesn't bleed.

Prythurkan is not stable. He bleeds.

Death Saving Throw
I rolled 1d20, the result is 2 = 2.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Prythurkan fails his death saving throw.

It is now Charn's turn.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Tentatively, I think Caleb's next action will be to move to J9 (which means he remains inside the threatened areas from both dancing swords, so he shouldn't provoke an opportunity attack) and flank with Kairon. Then he will attack Sword 1 with his mace.

I won't roll quite yet because a lot of bad guys get to go between now and then and what he wants to do might change. Just thinking out loud.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

I wasn't quite sure how many HP I would get back from that potion, and I was very nearly down. So, my initial plan was to get away from the close fight and to use Ranged Flanking rules to rain arrows down on the bad guys with Advantage.

My potion roll was pretty good, so if things start to go south, I can re-engage. But these guys seem like they can drop a glass cannon rogue relatively quickly, especially when not all the PC's are fully engaged in the fight.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Able doesn't like to bite off more than he can chew. He's old-skool and believes that there is such a thing as an unwinnable fight. This might not be one, but it's good to have a plan.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn attacks the suit of armor!

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 19, 5 = 24.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Sorry. Rug. Kill the rug!

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Charn strikes the rug, but it seems as though the thing is extraordinarily tough.

Flying Sword 6 disengages, moving to I8.

It is now Cor'val's turn. At the top of Round 5, the battlefield looks like this:

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Cor'val will fire on the armor in e4, then move to f9.

12 arrows.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 19, 7 = 26.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cor'val's arrow forges a brand new chink in the armor. He moves without further incident.

The rug, flanking Charn, attempts to wrap him up and smother him.

Attack, Adv., Damage
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 1, 5 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 2, 5 = 7.
I rolled 2d6+3, the result is 1, 1, 3 = 5.

Pages