[WotD] Chapter Two OOC

532 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cronono
Cronono's picture

I used the wrong damage dice for Prythurkan, but his roll was well above average so we'll keep it. Brianna, however, does a boatload of damage as well.

It is now Able's turn. I'll post a picture shortly, but unless he's hitting someone besides the "bloodied" tree, it won't be necessary.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

For easy reference.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Tree works.

Boom!
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 6, 5 = 11.
I rolled 1d10+3, the result is 7, 3 = 10.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Sadly, the bark of the tree is too tough for Able's glancing shot.

Eryndir's turn.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir didn't like that last close call, and now that the close combat experts are flanking, he'll start by using his Cunning Action to Disengage.

He doesn't like the unknown and doesn't want to be taken by surprise, so he'll use 20 feet of Movement to go to what looks like it would be N9.

If he sees something there, he may Attack ot Dodge. If nothing else seems to require his attention, he'll turn and fire an arrow at the tree, as he'll still be flanking with Brianna from there.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

It looks like there is a solid wooden wall running along the bottom of row 7 - Eryndir's excursion can't go beyond that point. He does know that a Blight ran off into the ship somewhere, but he sees no sign of it.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Okay, seeing no other threats (that he can perceive), he'll fire an arrow at the Tree, flanking with those to its north.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 16, 5 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Damage

I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 1 = 1.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Let's find out if Cor'val can finish it off.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Let's, indeed. Shot with Hunter's Mark.

Attack, dmg, Mark dmg.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 2, 7 = 9.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 1 = 1.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Negatron.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Bird fumbles with something in his pack.

Can Charn end this insanity?

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn tries!

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 9, 5 = 14.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Charn has advantage, so he can roll twice rather than just once.

However, he doesn't need to do so. The monster is no more.

We are now exiting rounds.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Anyone who fancies themselves a scout of some type may roll some sort of scouting skill. Darusthanav will roll his Perception.

Perception
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 3, 6 = 9.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Perception.

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 10, 6 = 16.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Perception

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 4, 5 = 9.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Is there an appropriate roll available to try and determine if this is a trap? Is it possible for me to try and DEX/Thieve's Tool to disarm without having already confirmed it's a trap?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Perception would be the correct roll to look for a trap. Your previous perception roll found the hidden plank, as Cor'val and Darusthanav somehow both managed to roll a 9. Some scouts they are.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Perception to determine whether this is a trap.

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 15, 6 = 21.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

You see no evidence of a trap - no trip wire, no subtle magical aura, no pressure plate, etc.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The journals appear to be the recollections of a sailor named SFC Horatio Barnabus. You're not entirely sure what SFC stands for, and roughly half of the language isn't in common. What is in common suggests that SFC Horatio Barnabus spent at least a year "at phlogeston," whatever that means. During his journeys he recounts in great detail truly fantastical combats with all sorts of inscrutable threats, including barbarous pirates, monstrous horrors, and customs officers at various ports of call. You don't have enough time to read all of the books right now, but they are conveniently numbered. The last few entries describe a "Journey to Hadar," which drives certain members of the crew quite mad. The crew manages to recover "a great treasure from operatives of the crown half a day from Hadar," which is evidently stored somewhere below decks. However, they came under attack from "those damnable spiders," and were forced to retreat. The journal's very last entry indicates that SFC Horatio Barnabus is stashing his gold, his rum, and his charts here until he can get back.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

There's no Spelljamming knowledge in our world?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Nope.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Alphabetical tomfoolery.

I rolled 1d20, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 14 = 14.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 18 = 18.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 7 = 7.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

We received a Bag of Holding from Hatephson, correct? I can't find the post on quick glance, but want to make sure if I'm putting stuff into a Bag of Holding, we actually have one...

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Fourth post in this thread. It includes the fact that one of the scrolls you got was quite unlike the others.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Just a note for the group -- on one or two occasions, I've mentioned division of loot and didn't receive a response. I wasn't sure if that meant that the PC's were interested in pooling loot, or that folks were cool with Ernydir's proposed divisions, etc. I'm cool with either.

Based on that, I've been assuming that he's kind of holding the stuff on behalf of the party. (Except for the scrolls, since they're useless to him.) If anyone has a different thought, please let me know. Happy to chat about it IC'ly or OOC'ly.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

In general, I support letting the person that benefits the most use an item, and I don't care much about wealth by level. For cash, it should be divided up evenly. If a carried item is used for personal use (or later sold), the party should be compensated, but if it is used for everyone's benefit, no payment is needed. I'm pretty generous with 'everyone's benefit'. Raising someone from the dead qualifies; holding the rum and only drinking it yourself does not (ie, it would be fair that Able receive a reduced share of loot to compensate the party for the rum he has consumed - unless everyone else takes a swig in which case he's off the hook).

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

How much loot are we talking about having acquired thus far? We can settle that then establish some firm rules about how to proceed in the future.

Caleb would rather everyone get equal shares of the total value of a treasure haul. If an item would put someone over their share, they would need to compensate the others to claim it. He isn't opposed to an extra share being set aside to cover universally useful items or group expenses.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Is there a roll to see if Eryndir knows what that means, or is it so foreign that no roll would work?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

If you're something of a sailor or a naval guy, you probably know what it means. I already rolled to see if anybody could figure out the word based on life experiences. I'm more than comfortable with folks self adjudicating whether or not their PC is familiar with either one of these words:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazaretto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarette

Whatever is beyond the door is probably one of those two things.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Not I, sir.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Caleb just hopes that by "processing sailors," Charn doesn't mean this room was where they were turned into sausage.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Able knows nothing about nautical terms. This is probably his favorite ship that he's been on based solely on the fact that it is not floating.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Interested parties can roll any knowledge, perception, investigation, or any other relevant skill to their interest. Please only roll one skill at this time. We aren't currently in initiative, but who knows with you crazy kids.

Also, being illuminated from the floor is never bad and always good when you are on a space ship. Just ask Sam Neil.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is: infinite.

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 20, 6 = 26.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

I don't think Blake ever got to roll a 20.

Erynidr notices the following:
There is no golden mist in this room and it does not appear to be entering the room.

The floating man is moving his lips but you can't hear what, if anything, is being said.

Whatever is stacked in this room was neatly organized, but it appears as though parts of the room have been knocked over or otherwise upended.

If there was more light in the room, you may have more details.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Investigation. Is that Wis based in this instance? +2. I am proficient in the skill. That's a +2 at this level, right?

Sherlock Holmes I ain't.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

DDMW, that is all exactly right.

Eryndir's torch illuminates the room fairly clearly. There are a number of caskets scattered throughout the room. Each casket is constructed out of steel and bears a name and some sort of number. Without more context, it is impossible to determine what the number means.

Rolls are still possible from those who haven't rolled, and anyone but Cor'val can additionally roll WIS should they be so inclined.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Wisdom

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 1, 2 = 3.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Eryndir is still tripping balls.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

A 20 on my Perception and a 1 on my Wisdom. I can see it all, I just have no idea what any of it means.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I think I will roll History to see if I can make an educated guess about how old this ship is.

History, Wisdom
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 11, 2 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Perception check.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 5, 5 = 10.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

History has the following entry in the SRD:

History
Your Intelligence (History) check measures your ability to recall lore about historical events, legendary people, ancient kingdoms, past disputes, recent wars, and lost civilizations.

That's not quite what you're going for, but I'll allow it. With a 13, Caleb cannot think of any naval vessels matching the description of this ship, which he estimates is more than 30 years old - making it predate Sareen's Folly.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The information Cor'val gets is wholly contained within the information Eryndir received. He's a tad out of his element here.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Rolling for Eryndir's entrance into the room.

Mist!
I rolled 1d20, the result is 1 = 1.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Well, that's not very auspicious, is it?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Let's go ahead and get perception rolls and initiative rolls from everyone.

Pages