[WotD] Chapter Two OOC

532 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Did any of us see a safe passage through the lightning, then?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

There is one exit from the room - the double doors across from where you came in. You could walk over to it and try to open it up, but you have yet to find a safe way through the room without risking the wrath of the toadstools. You might be able to keep rolling at this, though. Maybe.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir's last roll was a botch, so he's been staring at his navel unhelpfully. That said, it also means that he's pretty game to try any idea that anyone else has.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Darusthanav saves.

Dex Saves
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 16, 5 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 19, 5 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 10, 5 = 15.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 14, 5 = 19.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

In anticipation of bad things happening, Charn will defend the kobold.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

No bad thing appears to immediately happen.

Does anyone want to do anything else in this room?

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Not I.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir would like to examine the sarcophagi. It's interesting to him that they were providing power to the toadstools.

Would investigation work?

Investigation
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 12, 3 = 15.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Investigation works.

Eryndir's observation is no longer hindered by the flying sparks from the electrified mushrooms. As a result, he's able to safely investigate the glass. The sarcophagus has a seam that is hard to spot but notable up close. Opening that seam would expose the front of the sarcophagus so that a body could be lain to rest, admittedly vertically. Eryndir's eyes follow that seam to the base where he gently pushes aside some of the toadstools to see what happens when the sarcophagus seam transitions from the side to the base. He is surprised to discover tracks underneath the bed of mushrooms - there is evidence that humanoids were coming and going to the sarcophagus with somewhat dirty shoes on. Further examination reveals that the humanoids were coming and going into the sarcophagus.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

I'ma roll perception for Cor'val, just in case he spots something Eryndir missed. If it isn't needed, just ignore this die roll.

Perception
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 15, 5 = 20.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

All of a sudden you guys start rolling well. Shenanigans.

Cor'val looks over Eryndir's shoulder, watching his wood elf comrade inspect the sarcophagus. Where Eryndir looks down, Cor'val looks up. He sees the faintest outline of a handprint on the inside of the sarcophagus. There is something off about the hand - there is an extra finger and three of them are far too long.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

1 = head.
2 = tails.

I rolled 1d2, the result is 2 = 2.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Investigation

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Heh.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Don't think that you're unable to proceed because you didn't roll well here. You can use all the stats on your sheet.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Caleb thinks it could be a bite, although whatever has fangs that size is horrifying.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

He will resist the urge to recommend that one of the elves climb inside the sarcophagus so we can figure out where the body came from. He is desperately curious to find out, but knows it is reckless and stupid.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir knows that things which bite often have a venom of some sort. He's not great with Medicine, but knows some basic first aid. He'd like to see whether he can determine whether venom played a role in the Halfling's death.

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 9, 2 = 11.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

It's possible, but Eryndir isn't really sure. The body is basically going to crumble to dust wherever he touches and that makes forensics pretty damn difficult.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Since Eryndir botched an investigation roll, he'll have to examine the casket the hard way. He'll climb in and see if he can find a hidden door.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

No hidden door. Once he's fully in, however, he feels a thrumming of magic, like the entire sarcophagus is just chock full of spell energy. Something can activate it, Eryndir's sure. What, he's not so sure.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Guess we're down for whatever fuckery awaits us on the other side of this portal, then.

Assuming nothing untoward has happened since the kobold solved the lightning fungus puzzle, this room is probably pretty safe for him. I guess he can post up at the stone pedestal and be the trigger-man for each of us to take turns teleporting into the other room.

I figure either Pryth or Charn should go first, then Caleb, then whichever dragonborn didn't go first. After that, it doesn't really matter to me who goes in what order; but we obviously have to go only one at a time, right? This sequence of the first three characters at least ensures we have plenty of muscle and a dedicated healer going through the portal at the beginning of combat, so (hopefully) we can establish a beachhead and all still be alive by the time the rest of the party makes the trip.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

We should discuss more IC. The confusion is my mistake; apologies for that. Eryndir wasn't intending for folks to go down. He'll explain on the IC side that there are swarms and swarms of bad things, and vast numbers of passengers(?) trapped. He'll argue that the solution likely lies in this room.

I'll say more on the IC side.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

OH, that's way better. Going wherever Eryndir went sounded dumb as hell but Caleb felt like he was going to lose that argument before it started so he had to come up with a plan fast.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Sorry for the delay. Beach week had very little internet. Does Charn know any historical events about such devices as the altar?

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 15, 1 = 16.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Not a clue. It's clearly some sort of magic item but it doesn't have any familiarity to poor Charn.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

What roll do you believe would be appropriate for the type of snooping Eryndir is doing, Mr. DM, sir?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Perception

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir's good at that!

Perception
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 10, 6 = 16.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I'm having a little bit of trouble visualizing this section of the ship. I think, based on your description, there is a room very, very far across as well as far from this door to the one at the other end of the chamber. And in the middle of this very large space, we see three separate doors spaced evenly across a sort of interior wall. At least I think this is the case, because we can presently see all three doors without opening any of them. So they must be all arranged side-by-side in front of us and not a long series of rooms that stretches away from us length-wise. If that were the case, we could probably only see the first door, right?

But if my first interpretation is correct - that the series of rooms stretch out from left to right in front of us - how do we know that the three doors don't all open up into the same interior space, except for the clue that they appear to be labeled very differently? Are there windows through which we can peer into each room? Or is it just an educated guess that it's three separate rooms? Or is the real clue that they aren't physically connected to each other and there is actually space between each room that we can walk through and around?

I guess what I'm asking for is a map.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

My description was clear as mud.

This room is very large. It's the entire deck. It is very long, maybe 200 feet or so, and fairly wide, maybe 60 feet or so. Inside this massive room are three smaller rooms, about 30 feet by 30 feet. They're placed right down the center of the deck. Each of the rooms has one door, and that door faces the room you just came from. You can't see them all at the same time.

As Eryndir is snooping, he finds a fair amount of a black powder that smells vaguely like charcoal. It reminds him of the L-shaped device that he now bears. He can't find any evidence of weird-ass electric mushrooms or goofy spider-eels.

Pages