[WotD] Chapter One - A Rock and a Hard Place

354 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Hollinger lets out a yelp under Caleb's less than tender ministrations. "I'm glad Garesh told you that we're satraps, cleric. For what its worth, I'm sorry I put you and your friends in this situation."

He leans toward the edge of the balcony and looks down at Able. "The money was in the cart. Philomina took it with her when she left for The Outpost to ask for help. She didn't take the cart so she could move faster."

To Charn, the salesman says "I've never seen more than one at a time, but I've heard more. When they shook Philomina down, she said there were at least four."

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

The dragonkin nods once. "If they have torches, this will not be a safe place to hide." He hefts his light crossbow, in which he readies an arrow. To his fellows, he says, "What say you? Shall we bleed us a few commies?"

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Able rubs his goatee, "I don't know." He hastens to add, "I don't approve of anything they've done, but I don't know that we've reached the point where we can just kill them all in cold blood. Perhaps if we explain that the money they stole was first stolen from us, they'll give it back. And if they get violent, well, then you can bleed them without worry." Able continues, "And you have to be careful - we have nothing but the word of the stonemason to go on. I can promise you that a group of mercenaries wouldn't take my unsupported word as an excuse for violence on anyone other than me. So maybe we can least get an answer to how this whole problem got started."

Addressing the stone merchant directly, Able asks, "Why did you accept payment for stones that you had not yet provided. Why not just leave the money IN THE FORTRESS until you had a chance to make things right. With hindsight, the murder of an innocent tax collector, the orphaning of her children, and the danger that strangers are in all could have been prevented if you had waited to be paid until you had performed your contracted service. As a dwarf and a merchant in stone I would have expected you to know these rocks were unsuitable for their intended purpose." Able is incredulous, wondering if he is the only one in this whole situation that hasn't gone stark raving mad.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Kiddos, you might find it wise to run off and hide in the woods. No telling what's going to happen here, but I can promise you that it will be dangerous." After Caleb and Charn make it clear that they're going to stand outside, Able moves to join them. "Banging their drums gives us plenty of warning to clear out, so I imagine they don't want to kill us." Or at least, they want us to know who they are, first."

Cronono
Cronono's picture

As the travelers make their way to the exterior of the barn, Hollinger makes himself vaguely useful by pointing his crossbow out of a crack in the wooden walls. His efficacy with the crossbow remains to be seen, but it is the thought of the thieving merchant that counts. Maybe.

A wagon rumbles up the exact same path leading from the road. Hanging on the back of the wagon are two gibbets, both occupied. Both gibbets appear to contain elves. Walking alongside the wagon are five individuals. While their garments are a motley of colors and fabric, each wears a conspicuously large and familiar looking "C" sewn into their breast.

"Oy!" yells the woman sitting in the driver's seat of the wagon. While the phrase can hardly be considered a greeting, it does initiate the conversation. "If you bootlickers want the stone, you're gonna have to bleed for it. Give us what we came for or die." There are assorted smiles from the motley fellows walking alongside the wagon. Perhaps they've heard this phrase before.

One of the motley fellows, an elf wearing smudged linens, reaches into a gibbet and grabs the high elf inside by the hair. He holds a blade to the high elf's throat. The high elf is in such poor condition that he does not resist. "The kids ain't got no momma, and if you fuck with us, they ain't gonna have no poppa none neither!" Garesh and Orien wimper.

"Fuck you, Narad, you damned heretic!" The voice of Hollinger does very little to de-escalate the situation. "They're your blood, you heretic!"

Narad smiles. "Were, Hollinger! They were my blood, before Philomina started sucking bougie cock!" Narad's insults draw laughter from the rest of the motley. The woman driving the cart doesn't smile as she tries to project a steely resolve.

She does, however, interject. "Its your call, bootlickers. Give us what we want, or we'll give you blood."

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Caleb raises a hand and calls out, "I can see you're serious. We saw what you did to his wife on the road, as well. What we don't know is if you can treat with us in good faith."

He nods toward the captive elf with the knife to his throat. "If you release one of your prisoners, we will not stop you from taking what you came for. Then you can surrender the other one into our care and be on your way. Are my terms agreeable?"

Persuasion
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 10, 4 = 14.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The woman in the wagon shakes her head. "Narad, this one here," she points at Caleb, "thinks this is a negotiation. Let him know it isn't."

Narad buries his dagger to the hilt in the high elf hostage's neck. Hollinger yells out "You god damn heretic!"

The woman smiles. "Been called worse, thief. Now do what we tell you to do, or you'll see worse."

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn grimaces, but hisses to Able, "May we shoot the commies /now/?"

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"I'm not stopping you."

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Round One

Status

Squares with grain are difficult terrain and provide partial cover.

The wagon itself is a five foot elevation and provides full cover.

The unoccupied gibbet provides partial cover.

The barn is to the north. It contains a large number of sheep, Orien, Garesh, and Hollinger. Hollinger is on the second floor, placing him above all the cover on the map.

It is now Eryndir's turn.

Initiative

Eryndir - 22
Charn - 20
Raven - 20
Driver - 17
Caleb - 15
Hollinger - 15
Narad - 13
Fat Two - 13
Orien and Garesh - 12
Able - 7
Fat One - 7
Skinny One - 6
Big Hat - 4

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Round One

The remaining gibbet on the back of the wagon silently opens. The prisoner inside, unwilling to meet the same fate as the now deceased elf, pulls the dagger from the elfs neck and slams it into the murderous communist Narad. As he does so, the silver dragonborn Charn lets out a mighty bellow and shoots a crossbow bolt at one of the minions. While Charn's bellow was impressive, his marksmanship was not.

The leader of the communists exhorts her fellows to bring down the travelers. One of her minions appears quite ready to execute on her orders. Caleb, fully aware of the benefits of augmented companions, casts the Bless spell on his own companions Able, Charn, and Raven.

From inside the barn, Hollinger shoots at the wounded Narad. His marksmanship is as effective as Charn's. Narad, now bloodied by his prisoner's assault, grabs Eryndir by the throat and grapples the would-be-escapee. As he does so, one of the minions moves toward the travelers to engage them in melee.

Status

Squares with grain are difficult terrain and provide partial cover.

The wagon itself is a five foot elevation and provides full cover.

The unoccupied gibbet provides partial cover.

The barn is to the north. It contains a large number of sheep, Orien, Garesh, and Hollinger. Hollinger is on the second floor, placing him above all the cover on the map.

It is now Able's turn.

Charn, Raven, and Able are under the effects of the bless spell. This is denoted by the heart with a chain around it on their tokens. This spell lasts one minute, or 10 rounds. After each round the numeral will decriment by 1. The last round of the spell will have no numeral.

Narad is bloodied, as denoted by the red dot on his token. This is a rule lifted from 4e, where all characters know if any other characters are above or below 50% health without needing a "medicine" roll.

Eryndir is grappled. This is denoted by the icon on the top right corner of his icon.

Fat One is under the benefits of Bardic Inspiration. This is denoted by the symbol on his icon.

Initiative

Eryndir - 22
Charn - 20
Raven - 20
Driver - 17
Caleb - 15
Hollinger - 15
Narad - 13
Fat Two - 13
Orien and Garesh - 12
Able - 7 - It is now Able's turn
Fat One - 7
Skinny One - 6
Big Hat - 4

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Round Two

Able lifts his spear in one hand and his eyes seem to flash with an inner fire. His voice booms forth with practiced ease. "You fools. We are not simple farmers that you may hope to waylay. Witness my power and take warning!"

He releases a blast of eldritch energy toward the fat communist closer to the cart. While the blast strikes home, the communist's fervor brings him closer to the bellowing dragonborn Charn. With a series of mighty strikes, Charn falls. Both Raven and the skinny communist rush into the fray, but Raven manages to bring Charn back to consciousness at the feet of the whooping fat communist.

The Communist with the Big Hat, disturbed at Raven's use of healing magic, appears to point a peculiar staff at her. The staff is made of some sort of gnarled branch. Flames erupt out of the edge of the staff, but the weapon is poorly aimed and instead sprays over the communist leader and onto the edge of the wheat fields. The driver of the wagon begins to scream. Eryndir, throat grabbed by Narad, slams the dagger through Narad's exposed ribs. As Narad's breath bubbles from his side, Eryndir circles the crops and prepares to flank the line of melee communists.

Status

Squares with grain are difficult terrain and provide partial cover. Several squares are on fire and could cause burning.

The wagon itself is a five foot elevation and provides full cover.

The unoccupied gibbets provides partial cover.

The barn is to the north. It contains a large number of sheep, Orien, Garesh, and Hollinger. Hollinger is on the second floor, placing him above all the cover on the map.

Charn, Raven, and Able are under the effects of the bless spell. This is denoted by the heart with a chain around it on their tokens. This spell lasts one minute, or 10 rounds. After each round the numeral will decriment by 1. The last round of the spell will have no numeral.

Narad is dead and his token is removed.

Driver is bloodied, as denoted by the red dot on her token.

Charn is bloodied, as denoted by the red dot on his token.

Initiative

Eryndir - 22
Charn - 20 It is now Charn's turn
Raven - 20
Driver - 17
Caleb - 15
Hollinger - 15
Narad - 13
Fat Two - 13
Orien and Garesh - 12
Able - 7 -
Fat One - 7
Skinny One - 6
Big Hat - 4

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Round Two

Charn, rejuvenated by Raven, stands up and coats the communists with a frigid blast. One communist freezes and collapses under the assault. The other two are cowed but fight on. Raven takes the opportunity to stand as a bulwark in the fray, deflecting any incoming attacks.

The driver, ablaze from Big Hat's failed attack, urges her horse to begin moving. It begins to pull away from the flames. Caleb uses this opportunity to circle around the larger communists. He steps over the frozen corpse and lays into a communist with his mace. He is rewarded with a meaty thud as he makes contact with the criminal. That same frozen criminal lays down a flurry of assaults upon the frighteningly frigid Charn. Charn is rendered unconscious and his blood begins to seep into the ground from his many wounds.

Hollinger manages to stick a crossbow bolt in the escaping driver, but she continues on. Orien and Garesh are up to something in the barn, but no one can say what that may be.

Status

Squares with grain are difficult terrain and provide partial cover. Several squares are on fire and could cause burning.

The wagon itself is a five foot elevation and provides full cover.

The unoccupied gibbets provide partial cover.

The barn is to the north. It contains a large number of sheep, Orien, Garesh, and Hollinger. Hollinger is on the second floor, placing him above all the cover on the map.

Charn, Raven, and Able are under the effects of the bless spell. This is denoted by the heart with a chain around it on their tokens. This spell lasts one minute, or 10 rounds. After each round the numeral will decriment by 1. The last round of the spell will have no numeral.

Driver is bloodied, as denoted by the red dot on her token.

Fat One is bloodied, as denoted by the red dot on his token.

Charn is bleeding out, as denoted by the red tint to his icon. He has zero successes and zero failures.

Initiative
Eryndir - 22
Charn - 20
Raven - 20
Driver - 17
Caleb - 15
Hollinger - 15
Narad - 13
Fat Two - 13
Orien and Garesh - 12
Able - 7 It is now Able's turn
Fat One - 7
Skinny One - 6
Big Hat - 4

Cronono
Cronono's picture

End of Combat

Able unleashes a blast of infernal energy at one of the communists, searing his victim's skin after Charn's frosty attack. The other standing communist moves to intercept Caleb. Raven brings down her quarterstaff on the other communist, wounding him greatly. However, the other communist's attacks are ferocious and penetrating; Caleb will not recall hitting the ground.

The man with the big hat, seeing the driver making off with the wagon, jumps onto the back of the vehicle. They begin to make their escape.

Eryndir gets into position to silently bring down the burned and freezing communist. As Raven maneuvers to the communist's other side, Eryndir's rapier cleanly puncture's his quarry's lung. He withdraws his sword quickly enough to flank with Raven against the communist who brought down Caleb. Raven brings her quarterstaff up under the communist's jaw, breaking it and much of the tissue underneath.

The driver's wagon takes off.

The PCs are victorious.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir purses his lips in concentration, attempting to stem the bleeding from one of Caleb's wounds. He curses under his breath and glances at the back of the smoldering cart with vengeance in his eyes, causing his hands to slip and another rivulet of blood to seep out. After Raven tends to Caleb's wounds with great effect, Eryndir stands, calms himself, and tries the same for Charn. His efforts are somewhat more focused, and the Elf manages to pack Charn's wound - at least enough to stabilize the Dragonborn.

Seeing Charn's eyes open, Eryndir moves to his gear and begins shrugging on his studded leather armor. He fastens a belt around his waist, and slides his rapier into its sheath. Flipping Narad's dagger once, he slides it under his belt, next to a matched set of his own daggers.

He looks back to the others, but then furrows his brow and glances at the sounds coming from the barn.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"I can't let them get away." Able moves to follow the cart intent on seeing the threat eliminated before they can call on reinforcements.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir offers a sideways glance to the Tiefling as he runs in the direction of the cart, and then turns to Charn and offers a hand.

"I am called Eryndir. I was on my way to the Outpost when I was waylaid by those commies. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to escape."

He glances at the barn again. "Should we see what the clamor was all about?"

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

"Perhaps it is us who should be thanking you," Caleb offers to Eryndir as he watches Abel trail the communists. The cleric rolls onto his side then eases gingerly up onto his feet, standing tentatively before collecting his gear that may have scattered this way or that in the tumult.

"Yes, let's," he nods to the elf's question. Raising his voice, he calls out, "Children, we're coming back in. The danger has passed. Please open the door."

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The travelers had entered and exited the barn from the door on the side. The main door is flung open by Dyrakus, flanked by a relatively large number of sheep making their way into the field. Behind the stone mason is the cart loaded with his precious stone - although the white adamant looks organized more like a crenelated battlement rather than a shipment of valuable stone.

"If the communists are all dead, we can take this rock back to our giant fortification full of people who have no intention of harming us." The tiefling attempts to hold himself out as sensible, but Caleb can discern he is more than a little shaken by the morning's violence. "In point of fact, they might choose to protect us against such . . ." he looks to the children, bundled in the cart, before reducing the volume on his expletive, "agitators."

Hollinger, descending the ladder, calls out. "Wait a second. There is one communist still standing, and maybe one more bleeding out. We should leave the rocks here and use the cart to go after them."

Dyrakus roars his disapproval. "You steal our property, almost get us killed, and you have the gall to demand we pursue your enemies instead of righting your wrongs? You are an . . . " the tiefling looks to the children again before lowering his voice. "You are an agitator, Hollinger."

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

"Stop saying that."

Caleb takes a moment to take stock of the situation. "We aren't leaving until Abel returns, which I assume will mean he has finished the morning's work. Most of us are in no condition to chase anyone, so for the moment it would be better to remain here."

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn nods once to Caleb. "We will resolve this when our colleague returns, I think." He observes candidly, "I should think, though, that the service we have rendered today is worth you un-swindling our associate here."

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir turns to Charn and Caleb. "This conflict was over the stone? If you intend to bring it back to the Outpost, would you mind if I accompany you? As I mentioned, I was on my way there when I was waylaid. I admit that I wouldn't mind traveling in numbers."

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

"You won't hear any objections from me," Caleb groans, propping his shield up against a ceiling support beam and dropping like a ton of bricks to lay back on it on the floor. "But first, we wait for Abel. I hope it takes him quite a long time to finish his errand."

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir picks up the letter without looking at it, and palms it against his leg as he walks to the post where his own pack is hung.

When he reaches the post, he looks to his hand, realizing that the letter fell halfway there. He walks back to it and picks it up off the ground.

"I will ensure this reaches Elector Gladestrider," and gestures to the insignia of the Gladestrider Irregulars on his chest.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn nods at Eryndir over the matter of the stone, but wonders at the missive. "Why would the bleeding communists have a letter for the Elector, I wonder?"

Trigger
Trigger's picture

"We can deliver it in person. Gauge her reaction, if you would like."

Eryndir offers the suggestion as a gesture.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Hours later, the travelers complete their rest. During their afternoon, Hollinger and Dyrakus buried the bodies of the communists behind the barn. "Worms will eat their flesh. Damned Agitators." Dyrakus seems pleased with the work.

Garesh and Orien build pyres for their mother and father. Knowing full well that they lost both parents today but having no bodies to burn takes an emotional toll on the children. Orien in particular appears somewhat resentful of Eryndir. She says nothing, but Eryndir knows she is wondering why it couldn't have been her father who escaped the gibbet.

It is dark now, on the farm. The travelers are rested. Hollinger is the first to broach the subject.

"What do we do now?"

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Having returned, Able offers, "We report back to our commander that the mission is accomplished. Then if anyone wants to make hunting communists their personal life quest, they're free to do so."

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir nods in agreement. "Yes, it is past time I reported to the Outpost. And I would like to deliver that letter to Elector Gladestrider at our earliest opportunity."

He will take the purse obtained from the communists and press it into Raven's hand, closing her fingers around it. "Small compensation for the loss of their parents, but hopefully something that will keep them fed until arrangements can be made."

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn assents, but insists firmly, "Let us make sure to retrieve the children's mother, that she may be given proper burial rights." He seems determined to keep whatever promise he made to the dead dwarf.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn assents, but insists firmly, "Let us make sure to retrieve the children's mother, that she may be given proper burial rights." He seems determined to keep whatever promise he made to the dead dwarf.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Able pulls Eryndir aside and whispers sharply, "if you give away what I have claim to again, I'll gut you, rich boy. Some of us have had to fight for every scrap we've ever gotten. It's not fair that you speak for what is mine. You owe me."

Trigger
Trigger's picture

A whisper of a smile touches the Wood Elf's lips. His whisper is low and even. "By my count, Charn had one, Raven had one, and I had two. You want a coin, then next time, kill a communist." He nods at the pile of other goods taken off their corpses. "Until then, feel free to pick at the scraps."

His hand drops casually to the hilt of a dagger. "But if you think you've a ledger to settle with me, just say the word. Otherwise, think twice before you threaten me again."

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Able doesn't flinch. "You admit you gave away what did not belong to you and Charn would surely have died without the blows I struck. If you want to die, do it again. Or if you're the kind of murderous bastard thay kills you allies in cold blood, strike me now." Able had already pegged Eryndir as a sanctimonious ass. He might distrust Able because of his heritage, but a do-gooder that would give away his companion's rightful shares to 'do good' wouldn't betray those same principles so quickly. There remained debts Able had to pay and even a small number of coins might make the difference in saving his soul.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir's eyes narrow in disbelief and his whisper drops lower. "You wish to make an issue of giving these children - these orphans who saw their father murdered before their eyes -- a single gold piece? They lost more at the hands of the communists than any of us, and what is in that pouch will barely keep them fed and housed for half a month. But you wish to deny them even that? For all you know, that purse belonged to their father before it was stolen by those damned communists and I'm just returning what is rightfully theirs."

He turns and speaks at a normal conversational volume. "Fine, then let's do this another way. If you wish to be fair, then every soul who participated in that fight gets an equal share of the take, no? That's the five of us, Hollinger on his crossbow, and the children who were making a hardened defensive position, in case we needed to fall back."

Eryndir snatches the pouch from Raven's hand and tosses it onto the pile of goods recovered from the dead communists. He crouches in front of the pile and concentrates, obviously doing math in his head. "By my count, that's about 28 gold and 4 silver, divided by eight. Three gold, five silver each, give or take. So even after what's in the purse, they're owed five more gold."

Eryndir stands and looks at Able. "Fair?"

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Sure. We could quibble about who contributed," Able's tone makes it clear he is indicting Eryndir, "but that is fair enough. Children, you may have my share of the treasure. Life can be difficult without parents to protect you, especially if you look different. We'll see you safe back to the outpost if that is where you wish to go. If you have family within a three day journey, I will be happy to accompany you to see you there safely instead."

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir gathers his own pack and steps to Charn. "How far to the place where their mother rests?"

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

"The little ones will have my share as well. My needs are looked after; their future is still uncertain. Let us find the road under our feet before blood is spilled over pocket change."

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

In response to the elf's query, the cleric offers, "Two hours, more or less. On our way to the Outpost, so no trouble there. Charn is very familiar with the tree by now so we should have no trouble spotting it even in the dark."

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Under the cover of darkness, the travelers make their way back from the farm to the Outpost. Around midnight, they make it back to the gruesome tree where Charn previously secured the body of the deceased tax collector. As he sets about retrieving Garesh and Orien's mother, the children console each other in the cart.

Caleb notices a small campfire a little ways away from the road. There are maybe six figures standing around the fire and one sitting figure. The standing figures are utterly motionless, even after more than a minute of watching. The sitting figure appears to be fiddling with something. The travelers appear unnoticed.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

As the party notices the campfire, Eryndir whispers "an elf," though his voice is so soft it might as well be a soft breeze through the leaves of the tree.

He gestures towards the edge of the clearing in which the campfire burns and without a sound, vanishes into the high grass.

After several minutes, he reemerges and gathers the party around him. Kneeling in the huddle, he whispers again, his lips barely forming the shapes of the words.

"Those standing... they're humans. Or were, at one point. They're maimed, grotesquely so. I could see nothing else. I have no sense of whether they were merely for show, or whether they could
...function.

"I don't believe I was seen, but could gather nothing else."

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Well, if they haven't seen us, perhaps we should continue on our way. No reason to put the children in further danger, is there?"

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir, still on one knee, looks from Able to Charn and Caleb to gauge their reaction.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Caleb considers Abel's point then shrugs. "Well put. We have important errands and cannot tarry. Tomorrow, perhaps, we can return to find out more."

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir purses his lips. "The safety of the children is a concern, certainly. I think, though, that if we leave now, we must accept that our opportunity to pull this particular thread may pass."

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"I can live with that. Murdering a group of travelers without provocation based on a suspicion of evil intent is something I'm strongly against. And announcing our presence and letting whoever he is command his army of whatever is sitting unnaturally still doesn't sound like a great idea either. If he's here causing problems, our paths will cross again. I don't want to see anyone dead, but it's not like you're the king. It's someone's job to protect people from weirdos and slavers and whatever else, and if they don't want to do it themselves than it is their duty to pay people like us to do it for them. Think of all the charities you can donate to with a real wage in addition to the spoils of war!" Able is still nearly silent and only within the huddle can his voice be heard. He signals that the group should head away from the macabre camp site.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir looks to Charn, the hope of a good fight dimming in his eyes.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn simply gestures to the Outpost with his free hand, the other supporting Dead Dwarf slung over his shoulder like a sack of so many potatoes.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir, resigned, nods.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

"Let me get this straight. You worship a person?" The guard at The Outpost seemed perplexed. "Like, not a head of state, just somebody who casts spells and stuff?" Yuson shook his head.

The drow repeated himself. "The drow exist to serve and worship Lloth, the Queen of the Demonweb. She is a goddess, not merely a political figure."

The guard continued. "So, she is in charge, and organizes all you white hairs into a country and whatnot?" The guard's breath was visible in the cooling night air. Yuson's patience seemed to be evaporating just as quickly.

"The drow are not a country. There are many countries of drow, spread all over the Great Wheel. Lloth does not organize us into a political body, the priestesses do that on their own. Lloth's machinations are incomprehensible to the likes of us."

The guard smiled. "I gotcha. You're a bunch of Satraps. That makes sense."

Yuson's angry reply was interrupted by the sounds of a wagon bearing a load of heavy white stone. The travelers and their wagon made it to the gate. Yuson instead asked the obvious question. "I sent five of you out. Now there are ten, counting the body. What in the burning hells happened?"

Pages

Topic locked