[WotD] Chapter One OOC

835 posts / 0 new
Last post
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oh ok. They must have updated it since my PDF was published then.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

So, still Eryndir's turn, but Caleb is ambulatory and bloodied.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yeah, still down though. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir moves to C8 and readies his rapier for a chance to attack Fat Guy 2, should someone flank him on the other side.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Charn's turn. Roll 1d20 and bleed for us.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

The fatty cut me open, and I keep bleedin', I keep, keep bleedin'.

I rolled 1d20, the result is 19 = 19.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Charn's wounds begin to clot. He's in danger, but he has one success and zero failures.

Raven begins her move. She moves to C9. This trigger's Eryndir's ready action. Please roll, with advantage.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Rolling to attack with a rapier and advantage.

First two rolls are to attack with advantage. Third is rapier damage. Fourth is sneak attack damage.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 6, 5 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 18, 5 = 23.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 6 = 6.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

23 hits as a sneak attack. Eryndir kills him.

Raven continues her move. She ends in E10. She does not provoke from Fat Two as Fat Two is dead by the time she would provoke. She is now flanking Fat One with Eryndir. She makes a quarterstaff attack, with advantage.

Quarterstaff attack; With Advantage; Damage
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 14, 4 = 18.
I rolled 1d8, the result is 3 = 3.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Raven has killed Fat One.

The Driver, now minionless, bloodied, and in bad shape, exits the battlefield with Big Hat in tow.

The PCs are victorious. I will update the IC thread shortly. You may now start making Medicine checks to revive your fallen companions.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Combat#toc_56

If you're ambulatory, please feel free to roll Medicine or spend a healing spell if you'd like to save the fallen. If not, let's talk alignment. Proficiency in a healer's kit matters here.

If you're unconscious, please save your rolls until I ask for them. Timing matters.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir does not have a healer's kit, but has a +2 Medicine (Wisdom) roll. He'll attempt to offer first aid to Caleb.

Medicine check to stabilize Caleb.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Raven attempts a heal check on Caleb.

No modifier.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 6 = 6.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I got this, guys. I am a pro at not dying.

Stabilization
I rolled 1d20, the result is 15 = 15.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Great. Both Charn and Caleb are at 1 success and zero failures. Able also has a chance to stabilize one.

Everyone can make a second roll.

Raven will attempt to stabilize Caleb.

no mod
I rolled 1d20, the result is 20 = 20.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Boom. Caleb is cognizant and ambulatory. Everyone can try to stabilize Charn, or Caleb can instantly restore Charn with a healing spell.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Happy to give stabilizing Charn a shot.

Medicine (Wis) to stabilize Charn.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 20, 2 = 22.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Spoiler alert - rolling a 20 is usually a good thing.

Charn's eyes open.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I believe the range on an eldritch blast is 120 feet. The driver is part of the attack force, as is big hat, right?

At the speed they are moving, how many times can I make them suffer before they get out of range? What if I use my move action to try to keep them in range?

Able doesn't let people that want to kill him escape without good reason. He didn't want to fight them, but he does want to finish it.

Edit for Clarity
Attack 1: 10, 3 damage
Attack 2: 27, 9 damage
Attack 3: 15, 9 damage
Attack 4: 23, 4 damage

Attacks/Damage x5 w/ bless (if applicable) - attacking driver first to see if the cart will stop. This assumes they are unable to do anything significant to defend themselves.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 1, 5 = 6.
I rolled 1d10, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 19, 5 = 24.
I rolled 1d10, the result is 9 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 7, 5 = 12.
I rolled 1d10, the result is 9 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
I rolled 1d10, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 1 = 1.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

That's awesome.

A riding horse has a speed of 60 feet. This cart is damaged, so I'm reducing that to 50 feet. However, the horse is using both its move and its action to dash, so the horse is moving the cart 100 feet per round. Driver has three quarters cover, which gives her a +5 AC.

Able's second shot with eldritch blast, and his last opportunity, nails her in the back. The horse goes wild. Able's not sure if she's dead, but she's definitely bleeding out. Big Hat will have to come up with a miracle if he's going to save Driver, control an out of control cart tied to a spooked horse, and not get flung off the path himself.

Miracles?
I rolled 1d20, the result is 10 = 10.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 8 = 8.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 8 = 8.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 8 = 8.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 11 = 11.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 11 = 11.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Also, when you start earning Warlock Invocations, you get get a ridiculous distance with your eldritch blast.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

While Big Hat is trying to get the cart under control, Able will continue to approach. Maybe they'll end up in a ditch or something. Any round that begins with them out of range, I'll run - choosing a path that 'cuts off' their current movement (ie, rather than following them exactly I'll choose a pursuit angle).

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn will burn his Second Wind and stand up. "And that, friends, is why you should usually shoot commies," he says, shaking the sting out of his head.

I rolled 1d10+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Unfortunately, they're moving far too fast for Able to continue to engage. He can be proud of his ridiculously good shot against a moving target with three quarters cover though.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

We're in a real pickle if there's any more trouble today because I've already expended my two 1st level spell slots.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

One way or another, I think the party will take a rest. In 5e, you have two different types of rest - a short rest (1 hour) and a long rest (8 hours).

Different classes are balanced differently. For example, Warlocks and Fighters get almost all of their cool shit back after a short rest. Wizards and Paladins get most of their cool shit back after long rests. A typical "day" of encounters should be between 4-6 encounters, depending on their difficulty.

The nice part about rests in 5e is that you don't have to sleep. You can read books, enjoy a feast, or bullshit over a campfire. They allow for up to two hours of watch duty as part of an eight hour rest, which means everyone can be on watch for a short rest.

What sort of rest are you guys thinking about taking?

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir is at full strength, so he could take the lion's share of the watch. (Plus, he's got the elven Trance racial benefit, so he doesn't need sleep.)

Figure it would be good to go into our next encounter topped off.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

If you guys are taking a long rest, that's eight hours. It's about to be noon, so you could lunch here and head out for a short rest, or wait until after dark for a long rest to be over.

Or you could do something else. Let me know.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

A long rest seems fine.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Got it. Able is not able to pursue the wagon for very long, so folks spending the rest of the day at the farm is reasonable.

Finding food is a simple matter. This children are overcome with grief, and Garesh in particular seems to want to keep watch from the same vantage Hollinger used during the fight with the communists.

The dead communists had the following items:

Four handaxes
Two greatclubs
Two longswords
1 gp, 2 sp, 7 bp
Three backpacks
Four rations
One sealed bag
One letter, sealed with red wax. The wax is embossed with the same "C" worn by the Thousandfold Men of Industry. It is addressed to Elector Gladestrider.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir will attempt to Sleight of Hand the letter into his own pack. If seen, he'll own it and will happily discuss on the IC thread. But it's a conversation he'd rather avoid if possible.

Sleight of Hand - Dex +3 and Proficiency +2
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 1, 5 = 6.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

That's a pretty rough roll.

Everyone sees Eryndir attempt to steal the letter. He's a shit thief.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Hope it's cool that I improvised the method of his critical failure. If folks would rather he be caught in some other way, considering the critical nature of the failure, I'll roll with it.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I would only change a few things.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Abel came back at some point, right?

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I hope so.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I planned to.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Success. No roll required.

I am a generous DM.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Does anyone want to do anything besides head back to the Outpost?

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir will make sure that the kids get the purse found on the commies, but will keep a respectful distance from them.

Other than that, he's happy to just head to the Outpost.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

What? Is that your money you're giving away? What are you, a communist?

And you can't just give money to kids. They'll buy candy or something. You have to find a responsible caregiver and give THEM the money.

Forget this mamby-pamby 'feel good' nonsense.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Raven offers to take the children to safety at the Outpost. This is very important to her.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

To clarify, are we giving the kids the sealed pouch that, so far as I'm aware, no one knows the contents of? Or the money? Like, ALL the money? Caleb has zero dineros. I mean he has a job that offers room and board so it's not an emergency but we can't just be giving all of our treasure away.

I guess we'll take the rest of the salvaged gear back and hope for whatever we can get on the market.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Can we get confirmed kill counts. I think Able dropped two communists, making a certain PC confused or a liar. Maybe 3 if you count the driver.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir handed over the coin purse. Happy to continue the conversation IC - I'm enjoying the interaction. My character is surly, but I'm nicer (I hope).

By my count, Eryndir killed Narad and Fat One, Charn killed Skinny One, and Raven killed Fat Two. Able landed some shots, but those were the killing blows. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

This isn't quite the direction I expected in terms of interparty conflict, but c'est la vie.

There were a total of six communists - one on the wagon and five alongside. Four communists were killed. Narad and Fat Two were killed by Eryndir. Raven killed Fat One. Charn killed Skinny One. The status of the Driver is unknown. Big Hat took no visible damage during the combat.

Able attacked a Fat Communist but did not drop him. Able got a shot off on Driver, but it is unknown as to the Driver's fate. Hollinger attacked Narad and Driver but did not drop either.

Dyrakus was not present.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

That's almost correct. Fat One and Fat Two were switched. I can't believe you confused those two highly distinguishable characters.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

For what it's worth, Able doesn't care that the money went to the child - his objection is strictly that it was a unilateral action without consultation with anyone that had a legal interest.

Eryndir isn't the leader.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Let's RP that out. Go ahead and post in the IC thread.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

If we were told the value of the treasure, I missed it. Did the purse have only 5 gold? Is the rest of the treasure where the 'owed 5 more gold come from.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

The cash was 1 gp, 2 sp, 7 bp. That's what Eryndir handed to Raven.

I was using the sellback rules from the book (half original value), and the equipment list to estimate the value of the rest of the loot described above. (4 handaxes, two great clubs, two longswords, etc.)

Pages

Topic locked