Tenfold Shields (OOC)

1042 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Gorx will draw his wand and activate it.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay. Just a quick reminder: because of the fog cloud, Gorx cannot actually see any of what is currently happening in the cave. He just hears people screaming, and probably a bunch of thuddy noises.

Also, because Gorx has a base attack bonus of greater than +0, he can draw a wand, weapon, or so forth as part of a move action. So if he wanted to start approaching the fighting, he certainly could do that. He'd be able to take a normal move action to cover ground while drawing his wand, and then use his standard action to trigger it.

The sooner he can actually see what's happening inside the cave, the sooner he can do something about it.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

That all makes sense to me. I must have misparsed your last post when you said "Unless he is planning to walk around, he has a full set of standard and move actions to work with, and his next set of spirits will arrive at the beginning of his next turn." I added the emphasis. Can he still approach, draw, ready, AND have his spirits arrive next turn from the roll he started last round?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

That all makes sense to me. I must have misparsed your last post when you said "Unless he is planning to walk around, he has a full set of standard and move actions to work with, and his next set of spirits will arrive at the beginning of his next turn." I added the emphasis. Can he still approach, draw, ready, AND have his spirits arrive next turn from the roll he started last round?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, now I understand what you were asking. And I apologize for confusing you.

No, he cannot do all of this stuff in one round. Calling spirits is a full-round action. If he wants his spirits to arrive on time, he must spend the round doing nothing else but calling them. He can make a 5-foot step, if he wishes, but that's all.

He does have other options, because it's possible to break up a full-round action so it crosses the boundary of a turn. For example, he could walk up to 6 squares' worth of movement (potentially drawing a wand). Then he would spend his standard action to begin calling spirits.

On his next turn, he would be obliged to spend his standard action to finish calling his spirits, leaving him with a move action.

If it were my action economy being spent, I would call my spirits as a full-round action instead of dividing it up into a pair of standard actions. It's more efficient, and there are no compelling issues that prevent you from standing still long enough to complete the action in the usual fashion.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Ok, so last round Gorx dismissed the ghosts and started the process of calling new ones. I thought that was a standard to dismiss and a spent move to start calling.

If that's right, then Gorx uses a standard this round to finish calling and then uses a move to head due west and draw his wand.

If that's wrong, can you help me understand what Gorx did last round? Assuming it was my mistake, Gorx spends this entire round summoning but for a five foot step west.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#startCompleteFullRoundAction provides for the use of standard actions to start and finish a full round action. There's no similar provision in the rules for move actions to be used in this fashion.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I'm sorry, I don't understand.

I just did another read through of the Shaman. I don't see a description of the type of action to dismiss a spirit. I (perhaps mistakenly) assumed that it was a standard action. Is that correct?

If it is correct, then I think you're saying that you can't start a full round action with a move on one turn and end it with a standard on the next. That makes sense - you wouldn't someone making an attack and then starting to summon a monster. If so, we'll just say Gorx failed to do anything with his move last round and simply spends this round summoning with a five foot step due west.

If that (a standard action to dismiss) isn't correct, then Gorx started the summon last round and should finish it this round. That would leave a move action this round to move due west and draw his wand.

Let me know what Gorx does and we can move on to the next init.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes, I need to make a revision to the class as currently published. By an oversight, I didn't specify the kind of action used to end a spirit pact. Last round when Gorx dismissed the two ancestral ghosts, I indicated to you that it is a standard action. I was following the precedent of spells with a duration including the "(D)" tag, which can be dismissed as a standard action by the caster. Spirit pacts are a supernatural ability, but a number of things about their functioning resemble spells.

So you were correct when you assumed that he spent his standard action to dismiss his spirits last round. I don't recall that you had specified anything for him to do with his move action, and Gorx doesn't strike me as the kind of goblin who likes to get up close and personal unless he's doing it with a helpless victim. So it seemed entirely in keeping with what I know about him that he didn't want to go closer to the fighting.

Since it is still your intention for him to summon fresh spirits, he'll spend this round doing exactly that. They will arrive to bicker with him at the top of his initiative next round.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Perfect. I'll prepare a one-liner.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Yonah will draw an AoO by walking through Oni's square, then north, then around and diagonally to set up a flank with Oni against the dragon.

I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 19, 10 = 29.
I rolled 1d8+5, the result is 8, 5 = 13.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

AoO

I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 13, 13 = 26.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

"You should have heard me out, wyrm."

Fanax offers the line without malice while closing in.

Fanax will 5' step next to Oni. I'm drawing a blank, and currently do not have acces to my books, but it looks like Fanax can flank Vumrot with Yonah.

If that is incorrect then rolls are at -2 and no SA damage, obviously.

SS Attack, SS damage, SA, HA Attack, HA damage, SA damage
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 6, 10 = 16.
I rolled 1d4+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 9, 9 = 18.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 6 = 6.
Darker

Grimvaalk pulling a scimitar on this reptile and taking a 5' step into flanking position with Fanax. He and his mount will attempt to attack.

Atk Scimitar +6 melee (1d4+1; 18-20x2)
Ride +14
Atk Bite +3 melee (1d6+1)

Atk;Dmg;Ride;Atk;Dmg
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 1, 8 = 9.
I rolled 1d4+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+14, the result is 6, 14 = 20.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 16, 5 = 21.
I rolled 1d6+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Maybe you should let the wolf hold the scimitar from now on.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Breath Weapon vs. Yonah and Grimvaalk. Reflex DC 18. Saves included to keep the game moving briskly.

Breath; recharge; Reflex for Grim; Reflex for Yonah
I rolled 4d6, the result is 5, 4, 1, 5 = 15.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 19, 9 = 28.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 2, 7 = 9.
Reflex, Wolf
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 6, 5 = 11.
Reactive Ride check for soft landing.
I rolled 1d20+14, the result is 5, 14 = 19.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Well, this was fun.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oni shouts, "Keep fighting! It's desperate now!" and grabs Yonah's morningstar with a move action. He'll attack the dragon holding it in both hands for extra damage.

Morningstar vs Vumrot (two hands)
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 11, 5 = 16.
I rolled 1d8+4, the result is 1, 4 = 5.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I guess I can't really do that without taking a 5' step first, though, so Oni will actually end his turn one square south of the dragon.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Immediate Action
In Goblin: "How much longer are we staying here Grimvaalk?"

Fanax offers the question angrily. He doesn't want to leave but he doesnt want to die needlessly either. In the span of seconds two allies have fallen and Oni looks to be in rough shape. Fanax isn't so sure he can take the beating Oni or Yonah have taken and it's just a matter of time ol Vummy wants to test just how tough Fanax is.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Oni's going to provoke an AoO, just so we're clear. Still want to do it?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I defy you.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'm an administrator. Just doin' muh jerb.

Defy the dicebot if you're looking for an antagonist.

AoO vs. Oni (AC 14)
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 14, 13 = 27.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

In for a penny, in for a pound, I guess. Zathrus will dart through the dying fire, hoping his force screen will help. He'll position himself in the open space south of Fanax. Ever one for dramatics, he'll manifest energy push (DC 17, both for half damage and to Str check). It didn't seem to want to deal with the fire we built, so he'll choose fire as the energy type.

Ranged touch (energy push)
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 5, 1 = 6.
I rolled 2d6+2, the result is 3, 6, 2 = 11.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Well... fuck.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Reflex for Zathrus

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 3 = 3.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The time to bicker is upon us.

"Please help us murder that dragon?"

Diplomacy
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 1, 11 = 12.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Unbelievable.

Darker

A LOT OF 1's OMG!!!

Immediate Action after Gorx's failure.
In Goblin, to Fanax: "Well, Gorx likely Gorx'd his part up. I think now is the time to go."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Stabilization, Yonah.

I rolled 1d100, the result is 57 = 57.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Alright boys how do we want this game to progress? If Fanax withdraws, and Grimvaalk goes as well, then Vumrot can go ham on Oni. Zathrus may take some hits as well.

I think that would effectively end this game. I suppose this could be a TPK and end the game as well. Thoughts?

Darker

Grimvaalk is mostly useless in melee combat other than a slight distraction. Now that Vumrot is moved away from him, he's not going to be foolish enough to get back into melee. However, I think there's something to be said for a stragetic retreat out of the cave... depending on Gorx getting his shit together and the bugbear delaying things, we might be able to disaude Vumrot from following Grimvaalk and Fanax by setting up to pepper him with arrows if he exits the cave. Especially if Zathrus is able to pull out as well and ready another power to manifest.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I am not going to involve myself in your tactical deliberations, except in a very high-altitude sense, by remarking that you should contemplate as many options as possible, and be sure that you have scoped out all of the resources available to you.

Yonah is at -2 hit points and falling. That's potentially recoverable if you have the means to heal him. You guys have no dedicated healer in the party, so you'd have to think up some other way of dealing with the issue. But he is the tankiest member of your party, and although you certainly could just leave him to die, you may wish you had him later on, either because Vumrot comes after you again, or because you run into some other threat.

It also probably is worth commenting that even when he's prone, a conscious Yonah can threaten squares, provide a flanking backstop, etc., and he has a higher AC than Oni even when he's flat on his face.

It's my expectation that if you allow Vumrot to get out of this cave and get airborne, he's going to kill and eat every last one of you, as well as your mounts and animal companions.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

I am pretty sure Vumrot can leave whenever he wants to but Fanax will give it another go round.

5' step to flank with Oni and full attack. Hopefully, the die roller is in our favor.

SS Attack, SS damage, SA, HA attack, HA damage and SA damage
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 18, 10 = 28.
I rolled 1d4+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 2, 9 = 11.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 4 = 4.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oni can start fighting defensively next turn. This will further tank his attack rolls but might bump up his AC enough to make a difference. I'm not exactly swimming in hit points anymore over here but so far we've been pretty fortunate in terms of damage rolls from Vumrot. That will all change after a full attack if I'm his only target, though.

Whether everyone else is just going to run away or spend another round or two getting into position to attack, jamming the dragon up but somehow convincing it to keep focusing on me seems like the right course of action.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Zathrus recognizes Yonah's usefulness and will do what he can to help him... provided the dragon's focus is directed elsewhere momentarily. Otherwise, as bad as the situation might be, it seems like a poor idea to turn our backs to this enraged dragon and walk across fire to get away. Pressing the attack for better or worse seems best.

Darker

Since Yonah is busy bleeding out, Grimvaalk will attempt to step 5' over and fire two arrows over his uncounscious form.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 12, 5 = 17.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 19, 5 = 24.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 1, 2 = 3.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Full attack routine

Bite vs. Fanax (AC 21); Claw vs. Fanax; Claw vs. Zathrus (AC 16); Wing vs. Oni (AC 14); Wing vs. Fanax
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 5, 13 = 18.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 4, 8 = 12.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 5 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 10, 8 = 18.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 13, 8 = 21.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 7, 8 = 15.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 3 = 3.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Grim's 24 didn't hit? Did I miscalculate something?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Shooting into melee (-4 penalty without Precise Shot) appears to be accounted for. But Oni grants soft cover, so that's +4 to Vummie's AC.

If it makes you feel better, you were VERY close.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I have valid ways to move you 5 ft. by standing Grimvaalk in the same square as Yonah, or by having him due south of Oni, but neither one fixes the miss. I can't move you W or NW because of difficult terrain, as discussed in some detail here: https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/34229#comment-34229.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Ah, I see. I did not know I was still shooting through soft cover after moving over 5 feet. I thought that was far enough over to get a clear shot.

Darker

Talanall wrote:

I have valid ways to move you 5 ft. by standing Grimvaalk in the same square as Yonah, or by having him due south of Oni, but neither one fixes the miss. I can't move you W or NW because of difficult terrain, as discussed in some detail here: https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/34229#comment-34229.


Yeah, I misread the map. If I had figured it out, I would have moved more than 5' and then taken a single shot (and not had the -2 for rapid shot). I'm also used to moving mounted, which would have allowed me to move more and still completed the full attack. Oh well.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Or, at least, I don't think moving you into Yonah's square fixes the miss. The most favorable corner of Grimvaalk's square for determining cover is the NW point. If you stand him over Yonah, then the path to Vumrot's SE corner runs along the line of Oni's northern border.

I am willing to entertain arguments as to the proposition that this should or should not count as a border that grants cover when it is approached lengthwise, if you folks want to dispute the ruling. There is room for some interpretation, but I think my existing ruling is the simplest.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:

Yeah, I misread the map. If I had figured it out, I would have moved more than 5' and then taken a single shot (and not had the -2 for rapid shot). I'm also used to moving mounted, which would have allowed me to move more and still completed the full attack. Oh well.

I will honor that intention, if you wish. It is not unreasonable, because I think that I should have divined that you had misunderstood the map. I will not say whether your shot would have hit or missed until after you decide.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

No, I don't think that should warrant a re-do. Though I thought I had a clear shot, there was still some question on my end because of the fuzziness of the "line through the square" rules and I should have either carefully ruled over the rules or asked whether or not my shot would have been clear before I made it.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alright, then.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It's Oni's turn. Figured I should pop up a reminder, because we had a ruling discussion that may have shuffled it out of sight and mind.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I didn't even look at the Internet yesterday. If y'all don't have kids, part of the calculus you need to make to figure out if it's a good idea or not should probably be how many friends you expect them to have and how many goddamn birthdays those kids have. Literally one every year per child. Nobody tells you that.

Anyway, Oni thinks if this dragon slips out of the cave, it's Game Over for everybody. It can kill Gorx without resistance then fly away into the night and just come back for strafing runs every 1d4 rounds against anyone dumb enough to follow it out there (which we must eventually do because all of our stuff is outside and eventually we'll run out of food and water).

Grappling to keep Vumrot from going anywhere was a much more attractive option when Yonah was still upright and I hadn't taken 15 damage yet. Now, I think I'll just keep swinging Yonah's morningstar. Going back through the character sheets, it turns out the morningstar is masterwork, so I will add that bonus now.

Morningstar vs Vumrot (masterwork, two hands)
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 20, 6 = 26.
I rolled 1d8+4, the result is 1, 4 = 5.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Wow! Confirmation rolls.

Critical confirmation vs Vumrot, critical damage
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 9, 6 = 15.
I rolled 1d8+4, the result is 5, 4 = 9.

Pages