Tenfold Shields (OOC)

1039 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Eh, it's literally average for the dice Fanax has at his disposal. And although it may not be exceptional, it's enough that Vumrot's well and truly pissed off.

Full attack routine commencing.

Bite vs. Fanax (AC 22), claw vs. Yonah (AC 24), claw vs. Fanax, wing vs. Yonah, wing vs. Yonah
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 6, 13 = 19.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 7, 8 = 15.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 10, 8 = 18.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 17, 8 = 25.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 9, 8 = 17.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 4 = 4.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Weak sauce.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Talanall wrote:

Weak sauce.


Call me crazy but, with those bonuses, ol' Vummy can turn the tide pretty quickly in his favor. Especially if Gorx keeps Gorxing.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

He's feeling a little peaky because a group of murder-hobos have been filling his house with carbon monoxide and irritating smoke. Otherwise he'd be doing better.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oni wants to move six squares west as a single move action. When he finishes his movement, if he sees his spear he wants to move toward its location so he is at least armed before engaging Vumrot in melee. If he doesn't see his spear from that vantage point, he will commit to using his second move action to move 30' northwest, including a Jump check so he can hopefully clear the squares where the bonfire was without touching the ground. I'll also include a Reflex save in the event this preventative measure fails.

By my count, this will end Oni's movement between Yonah and Fanax.

Jump, Reflex save
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 9, 1 = 10.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 13, 4 = 17.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, so I badly screwed up the map with regard to Oni's position. Fortunately, it was not an error that meaningfully impacted anyone else's actions since Oni's last movement, which I apparently neglected to include in a map iteration. I have updated the current map to reflect where he SHOULD have been all this time. See here: fixed map.

@MinusInnocence's action clearly makes no sense in light of my boneheaded error; Oni's spear is somewhere in the cave to the NW of Vumrot's location.

Mike, what would you like to do instead? Oni certainly has the potential to make it into melee range by slotting in between Fanax and Yonah, if he wants to. He'd need to make a Reflex save to avoid scorching his poor feetsies.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Never mind the save; you have one ready to go.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Awesome. Yes, Oni will close for melee, and when he reaches Vumrot it is grapple time, baby! Oni's AC is 14 right now for the purposes of the dragon's AoO.

Grapple vs Vumrot
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 10, 5 = 15.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, good to know. Here's that AoO.

I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 13, 13 = 26.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well, that's . . . something. Oni won't be grappling Vumrot this round, I guess. But on the bright side, Vumrot now has to divide his attention between three attackers instead of just one or two. And he inflicted minimum damage, which I'm sure Oni will appreciate.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I'm gonna turn this lizard into a fleshlight.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Zathrus will double move this round. He'll move as far as he can, skirting the southern edge of the fog cloud. In subsequent rounds (barring something stopping him), he wants to get against the rock wall and make his way back up toward the cavern entrance.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Is continuing to negotiate with the dead possible, or is that basically over?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Gorx cannot make additional Diplomacy checks, but if he can come up with some kind of suitable bribe, he may be able to net himself a bonus to the check he has already made. That may be adequate to secure the ghosts' participation in the battle.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

He can always offer his twelfth born child. That'd take, what, a week for goblins?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Can he dismiss these folks and get new ones?

Darker

Wow, he's about to Gorx this up.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Cronono wrote:

Can he dismiss these folks and get new ones?

Yes. Dismissal is a standard action.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Gorx dismisses them with a hrmph. He begins looking for some new ones. I'll roll next round?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Boy, howdy.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

This is just a little reminder that it's Grimvaalk's turn, Darker. I know Alannah is excited about meeting strange new creatures and either talking to them or killing them.

But dragons need love, too.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Ha, sorry I haven’t been able to sit and study the tactics situation. But what’s the deal if Grim wants to comeback around and shoot into the melee? With the fire going, I’m going to assume a lance charge is going to be out.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

A lance charge probably wouldn't do anything nice for his wolf's paws, no.

Since Grimvaalk doesn't have the Precise Shot feat, he'd take a -4 penalty to his attacks with a bow or other ranged weapon. Compounding this, he'll have to shoot past his allies, who provide soft cover (+4 AC). Call it a net -8 to his attacks.

If he wants to use his lance in melee without charging, he probably has enough movement to move past the bonfire. His lance is a reach weapon, so the cover issue affecting his bow would be applicable to the lance unless he attacked from an unobstructed square. There would be no penalty for stabbing into melee, however; that's purely a ranged weapon kind of issue.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

The battlefield does not look full of options. Grimvaalk is going to delay until initive 22a (right before the dragon goes) in hopes that a line of sight will open up that he can move into.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, got it.

@Dafyd. Sing to me of the deeds of Running Bear.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Yonah Adisi, the Running Bear, will fight defensively this round and shout back to the entrance in the cave, "Press the attack!" To Vumrot he says, "Whatever hell you go to will be far better than what will happen to your corpse, snake."

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 8, 5 = 13.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 8, 3 = 11.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Fanax is all in now and has no interest in fighting this dragon deeper in it's lair and farther away from the others. So Fanax decides that he will move behind Vumrot and flank with Oni.

"Now is the time to press the attack!" Fanax yells angrily.

Attack, SS damage, SA damage
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 1, 12 = 13.
I rolled 1d4+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 6 = 6.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

That's more like it dice roller. Thank you.

Darker

Grimvaalk wants to ride into the cave and fire through the spot vacated by Fanax. He'll still take the penalty for firing into melee, but not for the cover. +7 is still better than his melee modifier. If the dragon doesn't move, maybe he can make a lance charge next round.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 3, 7 = 10.
I rolled 1d4+2, the result is 2, 2 = 4.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Board Rider wrote:

Fanax is all in now and has no interest in fighting this dragon deeper in it's lair and farther away from the others. So Fanax decides that he will move behind Vumrot and flank with Oni.

"Now is the time to press the attack!" Fanax yells angrily.

This will draw AoO. Fanax can attempt a Tumble check (DC 15) to make this movement without drawing AoO.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Isn't that guy out of AoO's yet?!

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Never mind my dumb ass, BR.

Oni already ate the AoO this round, and Vumrot doesn't have Combat Reflexes. So Fanax is good to go.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker, can you have the mount (not Grimvaalk) roll a Reflex save?

Also, is there a specific destination square you have in mind, relative to Vumrot's position? Provided that it is a single move (10 squares) for Grimvaalk's wolf, the intricacies of mounted archery would not come into play.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

I think that's just a +5 reflex, right?

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 5, 5 = 10.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

At Grimvaalk's level, I think that would be correct, yes. His mount is his animal companion, but he's not high enough in level for it to have gained any bonus Hit Dice. That save is adequate.

What about the destination square for this movement? Your action says "through" the square vacated by Fanax, so I'm guessing it is some square shortly beyond that point.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

The rules regardling soft cover are confusing to me, so my intention was the square closest to the entrance that would still get the shot off. However, if I can move to be 2 squares SW of the dragon, that would give me a clear shot and also open up room to charge? I guess if I could get in a lance charge position, I'd do that one.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Soft cover is like regular cover, except that it is provided by something like a creature, which may move around but is still an opaque barrier to sight/aim. As a result, it doesn't provide normal cover's bonus to Reflex saves and doesn't allow Hide checks.

I guess we could get into a theoretical discussion of whether certain kinds of illusion spells provide cover or soft cover, but that's not really germane to this case. Outside of that kind of really specific, abstruse question, soft cover is what you get if you go through squares that are occupied by creatures and run the formal procedure for determining whether a target has cover.

The formal procedure is:

SRD wrote:
to determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target’s square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

In general, you choose the corner of your square that is most favorable to you; it's possible for one corner of your square to offer a clear line of sight when the others don't.

If Grimvaalk tries to shoot from the square 2 SW of Vumrot, Vumrot has soft cover from Oni because there is no corner of that square that doesn't have to pass a line through Oni's square to reach at least one corner of Vumrot's space.

The square 3W, 1S from Vumrot's current one offers a clear shot because it provides passing results from at least one corner. It'd take 10 squares of movement for Grimvaalk to reach that square, so there's really no impediment to his going there instead. He would be able to make a charge (but not a lance charge) from this position.

This is because the lance is a reach weapon, and Grimvaalk must cover 2 empty squares in a straight line, with no impediments to movement, prior to making a charge attack. Setting up a lance charge would require Grimvaalk to have at least 3 squares between him and Vumrot.

That is difficult to arrange because the floor of the cavern, including the proposed destination square, is in difficult terrain. I have been treating the area in the actual entryway as normal terrain because the cavern floor as a whole slopes gently upward, and near the entryway there's dirt and stuff to smooth out a lot of the humps and bumps. But once you actually get as far in as Grimvaalk would need to go for a charge, the footing sucks—the cavern floor is natural, unworked stone that costs 2 squares to enter (3 squares diagonally, which is why you'd spend 10 total to get to the square I just pointed out), and it prevents running and charging.

Importantly, however, the footing sucks for everyone, including Vumrot. Since movement costs are taken out of Grimvaalk's mount's action economy, there's something to be said for going in there: Grimvaalk would be able to make full attacks with his bow, and Vumrot can't counter-charge to get at him. Vumrot would be able to catch up. But it'd be really hard for Vumrot to force Grimvaalk to sit still and trade full attacks with him.

The proposed square in the sample map below would place Grimvaalk in position to charge with his scimitar, and with a Ride check his wolf would be able to attack, as well, if Vumrot stays put. If Vumrot moves (which probably will happen because he's flanked), Grimvaalk won't be able to charge, but he'll be able to adjust position and shoot, or switch to his lance for melee reach, or whatever.

The stippled line indicates where the floor transitions from normal terrain to the cavern interior's difficult terrain. Where there is a transition inside the boundaries of a square, the majority of the square's area determines what kind of terrain it is.

I have waited until now to explain the situation with the terrain because the only person who's been inside the cave up to this point is Fanax, and the party's discussion of tactics has predominantly focused on trying avoid a scenario where you have to go in after Vumrot.

It hasn't worked out quite the way you planned, but in a number of respects your approach has been quite successful. You're not exactly fighting him on your terms, but he's really not getting things all his own way, either.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Grimvaalk accepts the current move. If Vumrot moes his way, he'll trigger AoO AND if Grimvaalk survives the attack, he'll be setting others up for a flank via his wolf's melee ability.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Talanall wrote:

Never mind my dumb ass, BR.

Oni already ate the AoO this round, and Vumrot doesn't have Combat Reflexes. So Fanax is good to go.

Actually, I thought Fanax would suffer an AoO. I was going to tumble but thought it wasn't possible given the penalty to movement. If I am reading your description right moving Fanax to his current position cost 20' of movement and Fanax can't tumble that far. Am I understanding that right?

Anyway, I also figured there was no way in hell the die roller was going to roll me a successful DC20 (the +5 added from your description) tumble check and a successful attack roll so I figured Fanax would just have to eat the AoO.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Fanax just barely had the space to do the movement with a Tumble added, and as discussed with Darker, the footing right here at the entry is firm because of centuries of dead vegetation blowing in here and piling up to fill in low spots and smooth things out.

But it's really moot; Oni took an AoO during his grapple attempt, and Vumrot's turn hasn't rolled around yet. So he can't swipe at Fanax now.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Attack routine.

Bite vs. Fanax (AC 22), Claw vs. Oni (AC 21), Claw vs. Fanax, Wing vs. Oni, Wing vs. Oni.
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 5, 13 = 18.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 8, 1 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 12, 8 = 20.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 5 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 18, 8 = 26.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 5 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 9, 8 = 17.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 10, 8 = 18.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 2 = 2.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I wanted to double check to make sure, because Oni's not wearing his hide armor but probably IS carrying his shield. I think the shield places his AC at 17. Unfortunately, that's the lowest attack roll outcome in Vumrot's routine this round. Oni has been badly mauled. Fortunately for him, the bite attack was directed at Fanax, and missed, or things would have been twice as bad for him.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

(Immediate Action)
Fanax uses the back of his hand to wipe free the immediate flow of blood and spits more on to the cavern floor. He hates the taste of his own blood.

He also takes in the fact the dragon has now properly ventilated Oni good and proper. Fanax begrudgingly takes a small moment to respect the bugbear for continuing to stand.

But all of it whips Fanax into his own frenzy of sorts and he screams loudly, "If the rest you don't get in here RIGHT NOW I will kill you when this is over!"

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

No, Oni definitely doesn't have his shield with him, because he had half a mind when he first woke up to engage the dragon in melee with his spear. I'm not super concerned yet. I will risk drawing one more AoO and who knows? Maybe even we'll succeed in the grapple this round, which will make things better for everyone. If not, I figure Oni's chances of being targeted again will start to decline after that, because he's really just this buffoon trying to start a fistfight with a dragon and not very dangerous at all.

Oni can't effectively flank with anyone else because he's unarmed, so he will stay where he is and let Yonah try to flank Vumrot with Fanax. Rolling my touch attack and grapple check now, assuming I don't get smacked again.

Melee touch attack vs Vumrot, Grapple check vs Vumrot
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 6, 5 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 13, 5 = 18.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

Oni can't effectively flank with anyone else because he's unarmed, so he will stay where he is and let Yonah try to flank Vumrot with Fanax.

He still threatens squares, which is the prerequisite for being able to flank. So he's fine, as far as that goes.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Opposed Grapple

I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 7, 13 = 20.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

For those keeping score at home, this gambit failed. The dragon still has his AoO and is not currently being grappled. He probably won't fall for it again so I will give it another round of maybe using one of its attacks on me, then try to get my spear next turn.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Zathrus will continue his way along the rock toward the cavern entrance. I *think* he should be able to make it to a point where he can see what's happening in the cave by the end of his turn.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Gorx will roll now - did he finish from last round and will have a move action this turn?

Rolling
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 10, 4 = 14.
I rolled 2d6+8, the result is 4, 2, 8 = 14.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Unless he is planning to walk around, he has a full set of standard and move actions to work with, and his next set of spirits will arrive at the beginning of his next turn.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages