Tenfold Shields (OOC)

1038 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

The short answer is yes.

But it really depends on which square he's aiming into. Some of them have partial or total cover relative to his current position. If he moves to a different square, then he'd have a different range of options for target squares.

This said, currently Grimvaalk can't see anything because of the fog (and to a somewhat lesser degree that is obviated by the fog, because of the fire and smoke). So trying to shoot at Vumrot is subject to all of the same difficulties that are applicable to attacking an invisible foe.

Grimvaalk can choose to shoot into a specific square that is obscured by fog/smoke/darkness/etc. if he wishes. If he lucks out and happens to shoot into a square that contains a creature, then he's got a 50% miss chance (total concealment), and if he doesn't miss because of that, then the attack resolves as normal against the target's AC.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Grimvaalk will move over until he has a shot at the square that is marked for the SE corner of the dragon on the map. Here are my rolls (no negatives assigned yet, assign as needed).

I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 4, 11 = 15.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 27 = 27.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

The orange circle is not a dragon. That's the big-ass fire you guys lit.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Ah, then he’ll just move over so he can see into the cave and ready an action to shoot anything that comes out.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

In the interests of making life a little easier for Board Rider, Fanax IS on the map, up in the northeastern part of the hillside. The fastest way down into the valley floor is due south of him.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Can Fanax fit into the small hole where the smoke is exiting from? If so can he see into it? Since he is breathless can he move into the smoke without issue? That's what Fanax will spend time doing.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Board Rider wrote:

Can Fanax fit into the small hole where the smoke is exiting from?

It would be a tight fit, requiring him to squeeze through at best (see http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#terrainandObstacles) or use the Escape Artist skill at worst, but there really is only one way to be sure.

Quote:
If so can he see into it?
No. The smoke presents a difficulty in this regard.

Quote:
Since he is breathless can he move into the smoke without issue?
Insofar as the smoke would interfere with his breathing, sure.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Okay. Fanax is going to try to go down the smoke hole. Squeeze and Escape Artist when needed.

I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 4, 10 = 14.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Yonah readies an action to bash brains if the dragon should cross his path, but mostly he communicates, "We'll not be effective he's on the wing." In the common tongue, he taunts, "Vumrot, I'd say you'd make a fine chair, but there's scarcely enough of you for a bar stool!"

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

"Why do you cower inside, wyrm?" Zathrus directs loudly at the cave entrance, also in Common. "Does the smoke bother you? Are you sick? Are you injured? Are you afraid? Come out and tell us!"

Talanall
Talanall's picture

What's Gorx up to?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Sorry I've been so unreliable this week. Business trip in the first half of the week and surgery this morning. Good news - I can breathe. Bad news - It takes an action for Gorx to cast produce flame from his wand. He does so. He doesn't take a move.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Hey, you like breathing? Me, too! Breathing is excellent!

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I've been pretty bad at it for a few years, actually. I strongly recommend you don't party with women who wield beer-steins like monk weapons. Fortunately, my ENT is amazing.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I think it's only been one round since Oni started picking up all his weapons. Do I still have one round left of that, or am I done? I want to end up holding my spear.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I believe that this round is devoted to sheathing his morningstar and shield, which he picked up last round. And then next round will be for picking up his crossbow and spear, and sheathing the crossbow the round after next, which should leave him a move action. It's a lengthy enough process that I would think it understandable if you cut it short.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I'm in no hurry to rush back to the cave entrance and stand around wondering how to get inside without killing myself.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Maybe there is some way that Oni could magically switch places with the dragon.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Grimvaalk readies his action to fire if he can spot the dragon, this time rapid shot.

I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 17, 9 = 26.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 6, 9 = 15.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Sorry, Rapid Shot requires a full attack action. On the bright side, the first attack was your better one.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Single shot then.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Fanax is still worming his way down that hole in the hillside in hopes that he will be able to get inside the dragon's lair, right?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Is this one of those things where he gets stuck in the fissure and starves to death, like the horrific story from Gremlins about that girl's dad when he was impersonating Santa Claus? I mean we don't even know where he went. No one is going to come looking for this guy.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I think Kate Beringer's father slipped partway down the chimney and broke his neck, rather than dying of starvation. But that's something that totally could happen to Fanax, too.

Or he could fall into a section of tunnel that is too sheer for him to climb back up and too narrow at the bottom for him to keep going, in which case I guess he'd probably die of dehydration before he starved.

Or the tunnel could just collapse on him and crush him to death.

Thus far, it has been a tight squeeze but nothing remarkable. A Tiny creature, especially one with a climb speed, would have no real trouble with what Fanax has seen so far.

But yeah, there are lots of ways that this could end badly for him. It's possible that this passage may eventually lead inside the lair, though. The rules for squeezing into a narrow space (and the Escape Artist rules that are an extension of them, distinct from those which have to do with slipping out of bindings or manacles) appear to treat Small and Medium creatures as if they are the same.

So it's even distantly possible that Fanax might find himself nose-to-nose with the dragon! This seems pretty unlikely to me, though, because if this passage can be negotiated safely, then there's a decent chance that the dragon knows about it already. And if it does, then I don't know how to account for its decision not to use this exit to leave the lair, get airborne and strafe you to death with its breath weapon.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

All of that sounds wonderful. Fanax will keep going.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Yonah calls out to Gorx, "I don't suppose you have spirit friends who don't mind being blasted in the face with frigid air, do you?" He'll a five foot step closer to the entrance of the lair and use the total defense action for now.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

"This is disappointing," says Zathrus, potentially loud enough to be heard in the cave. "What a punk." Zathrus will also use total defense while he waits for the dragon to appear, the fire to burn out, or someone to show some other initiative.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Gorx shakes his head. "No such thing as a chickenshit elemental." He waves the fire in the palm of his hand in the general direction of the cave so as to illuminate for Yonah exactly who is being referred to as a chickenshit.

He readies an action to lob some flame if he gets an unimpeded view of the draconic quarry.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

If this keeps up, we'll end up waiting out the fire one round at a time.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

*gasps*

You've seen through the dragon's dastardly plan!

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I'm a tactical genius.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

If Oni is done getting his shit together, he will hoof it back to the cave entrance, running straight to end his move two squares southwest of Zathrus.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

This round is devoted to picking up spear and crossbow, and putting away the crossbow. Assuming Oni doesn't change his mind and do something else, anyway.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Nope. I definitely want to do all of those things. If the dragon escapes and flies away before I get everything squared away, it really isn't a huge loss as far as Oni is concerned. I mean he isn't taking his time, but he definitely doesn't want to be frozen solid.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Noted.

On a sort of related note, I think that if it isn't clear already, it's probably going to start to be obvious, soon, that the dragon really is not going to come out and play. Why this might be is still an open question.

Maybe it isn't fireproof, and is hoping that you will give up and let the fire burn out before it suffocates. If that's the case, it's also possible that it isn't coming out to fight because it doesn't want to get burned, which it undoubtedly would if it came through the fire. Maybe it wants to avoid exposing itself to concentrated ranged attacks and spells (irrespective of whether it's fireproof, this is a legitimate tactical concern). Maybe it really is cowardly. This last probably isn't it, because if you have the right dragon then you're dealing with a creature that decided to raid the herds of a very large body of heavily armed humanoids, which takes some scaly dragon balls. Or maybe there's some other reason that is less immediately subject to being reasoned out, but nevertheless true.

Realistically, you probably have an hour or two to play with before the fire burns itself mostly out. If you don't figure out a way to add fuel pretty soon, then your plan to smoke the dragon to death probably isn't going to go anywhere.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Grimvaalk prepares himself to issue an epic I told you so.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I think Fanax is still busy chasing smoke down a hole. If Yonah, Zathrus, and/or Gorx aren't going to do anything substantially different from what they have been doing, then I think it may be most appropriate at this point if we end initiative.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

When the bugbears caught a piece of the freezing blast earlier, did Zathrus note whether or not that blast came with a significant amount of wind? If so, Zathrus is curious about why the dragon isn't just using its breath to blow the fire out.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Gorx will probably take pot-shots when his spell duration starts to wind down. That won't be for another 8 rounds though.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Fixxxer wrote:

When the bugbears caught a piece of the freezing blast earlier, did Zathrus note whether or not that blast came with a significant amount of wind? If so, Zathrus is curious about why the dragon isn't just using its breath to blow the fire out.

I've ruled that cold damage usually doesn't put out flames if it is associated with an instantaneous effect, mirroring the established principle that instantaneous effects that deal fire damage do not start fires unless the effect's description specifically says so. For an example illustrating this principle, take burning hands, which specifically does set fire to things despite being a sor/wiz 1 selection, and meteor swarm, which doesn't even though it is a sor/wiz 9 selection.

I also ruled that blowing frost breath through the middle of a fire reduces the amount of damage inflicted. The fire elementals got hosed anyway, and because they're vulnerable to cold and a couple of them failed their saves, they got hurt badly. I didn't keep tracking it in initiative because Gorx dismissed them, but two of them may die of their injuries. Oni and Yonah made their saves, and aren't especially vulnerable to cold. So they were practically scot-free.

But because a white dragon's frost breath is instantaneous in character, Vumrot won't be using it to extinguish the fire. Blowing out the flames is a clever idea, but he's a little bit bigger than a winged alligator and probably doesn't have the lung capacity to do it with a fire of this size. The cold damage from his breath is supernatural in nature, which is one of the reasons why he has to wait 1d4 rounds in between uses, and why it spreads into a large cone despite his relatively limited lung capacity. Additionally, his breath weapon is not described as including any "wind" component, which I think it would if it were intended to be useful in such a fashion. You can use spells like gust of wind and wind wall to put out flames and move creatures/objects, if they're small enough to be affected by the magnitude of wind produced.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Cronono wrote:

Gorx will probably take pot-shots when his spell duration starts to wind down. That won't be for another 8 rounds though.

Okay. Is he just going to throw flames in there willy-nilly and hope he hits something?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Yes. This is a goblin game, right?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay. If he's waiting about 8 rounds, then that'll mean he starts when he's got ten rounds of duration left. Each throw shortens the duration by a round, and he doesn't have iterative attacks yet. So Gorx should have five throws.

There are ~12 squares inside the cavern that he can get a clean shot into from his current position. He probably can hit another 8 or so that have cover relative to his position, but I don't guess he'll want to do that. That whole area is covered by fog, so he can't actually see anything; he's effectively firing blind. So I guess the thing to do is randomly determine which of the 12 or so eligible squares he'll target, and roll attacks and damage, plus a 1d100 to account for concealment. Then I'll check to see if the dragon's in any of the squares. And I guess if it is, I'll see whether the flames hit the dragon's touch AC, and we'll apply the pertinent damage roll.

If that's agreeable, then let's have you do 5x of the following routine:

1d12;1d20+6;1d6+2;1d100

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Sadly, each attack reduces the duration on Produce Flame by a minute. Since Gorx is using the Wand, that's only a CL2 Produce Flame - he'll get off two attacks at most. Right?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes, that'd be correct. Thank you for catching my mistake.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I just don't want to get bit by any massive fucking spiders.

Pot Shots
I rolled 1d12, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 17, 6 = 23.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 74 = 74.
I rolled 1d12, the result is 8 = 8.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 10, 6 = 16.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 29 = 29.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Sorry, no bellows of pain.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

But no spiders, either, right?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'm not sure I understand the reason for your question. But there's no evidence of any massive spiders around here. I can't speak for the presence or absence of ordinary-sized ones.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Pages