Ignerio - OoC - Scenario 1: A Game of Cat and Mouse...and Cat

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture
Ignerio - OoC - Scenario 1: A Game of Cat and Mouse...and Cat

This is the place for out of character discussions.

Please start by rolling Initiative. Initiative determines who takes the first action. We roll a new initiative every round. That means you might go first in round 1, but last in round 2.

Edited by: deadDMwalking on 07/21/2021 - 10:45
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Initiative - Dire Lynx

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 15, 6 = 21.
El Primo
El Primo's picture

Initiative - Ragranaas

I rolled 1d20, the result is 12 = 12.

El Primo / Joshua

El Primo
El Primo's picture

Wait… +7 I think so 19

El Primo / Joshua

Water Witch
Water Witch's picture

Initiative - The Witch

I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 6, 4 = 10.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Okay, it actually rolled really well on perception - and neither of you had a chance to hide so good bet it knows you're both there. It rolled really badly on the hide check, so you both do actually know where it is, even if you don't currently have direct line of sight.

Ragranaas is up first, followed by The Witch. Since this is an RPG, you can do anything that you can imagine doing in real life. That means you can hide, fight, run away, try to parley, scare it with loud noises, ignore it and kill each other... Whatever feels right to you.

It is currently far enough away that Ragranaas would need a double move (even with his faster land speed) to get close to it (which, considering the claws and teeth might not be wise), and The Witch would not be able to close with normal movement. If she wanted to get close she'd have to run, which would reduce her Defense, and considering the sharp teeth and claws, might be dangerous.

My goal is to try to make the Lynx act like a cat would act - it's not as smart as a human but it is a hunter and it's hungry enough to entertain the thought of either (or both of you) as a plaything and maybe a meal.

El Primo
El Primo's picture

Stealth - Ragranaas.

Ragranaas would like to move to the nearest pillar and likewise pull a stealth move. The next plan is to climb 10ft up the pillar when possible.

I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 16, 11 = 27.

El Primo / Joshua

El Primo
El Primo's picture

It looks with scent I can also roll to track him as a swift action. Not sure what the modifier is doing it this way but I will attempt a roll.

Modifier?
I rolled 1d20, the result is 8 = 8.

El Primo / Joshua

Water Witch
Water Witch's picture

The Witch will not move. She will try to speak with the animal. She shouts to the animal, "You don't have to do this. Maybe we can work together."

I rolled 1d20, the result is 12 = 12.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

@El Primo
Possibly different from other versions of D&D you've played, Stealth is part of a move action, as is climbing. With your speed of 40' and a climb speed, you have no trouble ascending to the top of the statue with a single move action. Since you didn't say you were doing anything else, I'm going to assume you moved at half speed. Since you have 'Swift Stealth' as a rogue ability, you suffer no penalty to your stealth roll for movement. If you had moved at full speed, you would have taken a -5. Since the Lynx is very perceptive, that penalty would have allowed it to spot you. So good news - you succeed. The Lynx has no idea where you've gone. Like you, the lynx does have scent, so could locate your position on its turn - but we're going to roll initiative again, so if you win on initiative, it won't know where you are and you will be able to get sneak attack.

@Water Witch
You have Animal Affinity (Cats), so you can attempt to influence cats even if you don't share a language. You do have

  • Speak with Animals
  • as a spell, and since you didn't move, you could cast that. As a zero level spell, it doesn't cost any mana. Since you absolutely COULD have done that, and being able to understand what the lynx says seems to be something you'd want in this situation, I'll assume that's what you did before you called out.

    Talking to an animal this way can either be Animal Handling (which you don't have trained, but you'd still get your Wil as a bonus (+5). You also have another +4 with cats because of Animal Affinity for a total of +9. You could use diplomacy instead - and if it was an intelligent creature you would HAVE to. For Diplomacy you'd normally have a +9 to your roll. Animal Affinity gives you another +4 for a total of +13. But trying to use Diplomacy on a creature that doesn't share at type with you gives you a -4 and rushing the check (doing it as a full action) gives you a -10. You'd have a -1 on a Diplomacy check when it is all said and done. Given that, going with Animal Affinity is the way to go.

    Changing the opinion of someone that is already committed to killing you isn't easy. In this case, you've improved their attitude from Hostile to Unfavorable. Improving an attitude like that is something you're limited to 1/day - and an unfavorable reaction will usually leave you alone, but if you harass them, they'll usually attack.

    Everyone should roll a new initiative.

    Initiative (Lynx)
    I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 7, 6 = 13.
    El Primo
    El Primo's picture

    Initiative - Ragranaas

    I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 6, 7 = 13.

    El Primo / Joshua

    deadDMwalking
    deadDMwalking's picture

    Once The Witch has initiative, we'll go in order. Even though the Lynx and El Primo tied, tie goes to the higher Agility (Ragnaraas).

    Water Witch
    Water Witch's picture

    Initiative- The Witch

    I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 9, 4 = 13.
    El Primo
    El Primo's picture

    Did we all just roll 13? That’s a new one for me! Hahah that’s wild!

    El Primo / Joshua

    deadDMwalking
    deadDMwalking's picture

    The order is Ragnaraas (7 Agility), Lynx (6 Agility), The Witch (4 agility).

    What are you going to do, @El Primo?

    El Primo
    El Primo's picture

    Ragranaas - assuming I know where the lynx is I would like to Attack him with my hook sword as a sneak attack if possible.

    I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 7, 10 = 17.

    El Primo / Joshua

    deadDMwalking
    deadDMwalking's picture

    Sneak Attack Damage

    Sneak Attack (FF) Hook Sword
    I rolled 2d8+10, the result is 7, 8, 10 = 25.
    deadDMwalking
    deadDMwalking's picture

    Do you want to bite, too? You'd get sneak attack with it.

    deadDMwalking
    deadDMwalking's picture

    Just for clarification - the Lynx has an ability that allows it to attack on your turn when you strike it (Retributive Strike). It missed. After you decide on whether to take a bite attack (and that's resolved) it'll be the Lynx's actual turn.

    El Primo
    El Primo's picture

    Ragranaas- bite attack.

    I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 17, 6 = 23.

    El Primo / Joshua

    El Primo
    El Primo's picture

    Can I roll my damage at the same time as my attack roll?

    El Primo / Joshua

    deadDMwalking
    deadDMwalking's picture

    I would certainly encourage you to do so.

    Edit - For Speed...

    Damage Bite, Damage Sneak, Endurance Check
    I rolled 1d6+10, the result is 4, 10 = 14.
    I rolled 1d8, the result is 2 = 2.
    I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 15, 1 = 16.
    deadDMwalking
    deadDMwalking's picture

    In an RPG, unlike a video game, the action continues until you decide it doesn't. There's nothing stopping you from attacking each other, attacking the crowd or going on a murder-spree below the Arena. Well, nothing stopping you except that it is generally a bad idea and will PROBABLY get you killed. With combat over we can resume posting in the IC thread about what you want to do. If there's not much happening, we can skip some time until something else is happening.

    Any word on additional characters?

    El Primo
    El Primo's picture

    I have had a handful of people that told me they would play. I have reminded them each a few times but haven’t gotten a solid answer since. Sorry dude. I’ll keep trying.

    El Primo / Joshua

    deadDMwalking
    deadDMwalking's picture

    No worries - if people are going to flake out, better to do it at the very beginning!

    @The Witch - anything you want to do IC?

    Water Witch
    Water Witch's picture

    I'm not sure what I can do. Nothing I guess.