Part 2 - OOC - Far Underground, Below My Lad!

62 posts / 0 new
Last post
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture
Part 2 - OOC - Far Underground, Below My Lad!

OOC discussion. If you're interested in picking up, feel free to post your character in the character management section. If you're reading this but won't be back, I'd appreciate you saying so. I'll have ways of dealing with your character. *evil DM laugh*

Bahamut Omega

Still here, just less so than usual.

Darker

I'm still here and planning on starting back. Just got to get things together and should be posting soon.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

I'm in.

Bahamut Omega

Soooo....

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'll advance to the orc assault on the gate pretty soon. Probably Monday.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Sorry about the delay and map troubles. I posted the link but then had to run off to pick up a sick child before I could rework it. Talanall provided a handy guide on exactly what to do, but I didn't have a chance to review it until now. Oh, and the whole thing with putting the map together on my work computer, but being blocked from photobucket at work, so I had to e-mail it to my phone to upload it and hand type the links... So, long story short, the map's working.

The orcs don't seem to suspect anything, so a free round of action. I'm calling it Round 0, but unlike a normal surprise round, you have a full round of actions. Or more if you don't alert them to your presence.

Nasim; Lt. Nivor; Fash; Humphrey
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 19, 9 = 28.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 10, 3 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 2, 7 = 9.
I rolled 1d20-7, the result is 3, -7 = -4.
Oogmach

Guarding the rear for now, watching the bridge and passage (can provide Perception checks as needed). Probably likely to continue doing so at least until the orcs seriously start breaking down the door.

Darker

Humphrey's plan was to summon monsters in front of and in the middle of the groups of orcs to catch as many as possible in the 5' summoning cloud to slow them down.

I'll make a second post in a moment after the results of the summoning roll.

Number of Icy Celestial Badgers summoned.
I rolled 1d3, the result is 2 = 2.
Darker

I can't tell the exact locations for the summoning, but he targets spots that will maximize the initial cloud/sicking effect. A cloud will appear in a 5' radius around both badgers. The effect will give total concealment to those effected. All in the area need to save vs. DC 17 or be sickened. Don't forget the attacks happen AFTER its sickened. They will smite with their first claw attack.

Celestial Badger CR 0
Always Neutral Good Small Animal (Celestial, Ice)
Init +3 (+3 dex)
AC 15 FF 12 Touch 14
(+1 size, +3 Dex , +1 natural)
HD: 1
HP: 8 (1d8+4)
Fort +6 Ref +5 Will +1
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), burrow 10 ft.
Base Atk +0 Grp -3
Attack: claw +4 1d2+1+1d6
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 1d2+1+1d6, bite -1 1d3+0+1d6
Space 5 ft. (1 squares) Reach 5 ft. (1 squares)
Abilities Str 12(+1) Dex 17(+3) Con 19(+4) Int 2(-4) Wis 12(+1) Cha 6(-2)
Feats: TrackB, Weapon Finesse
Skill Points: 4
Skills: Escape Artist +4, Listen +2, Spot +2
Gear:
Total Cost of Gear: 0gp
Rage(Ex): When this creature takes damage in combat flies into a berserk rage on its next turn, attacking madly until either it or its opponent is dead. It gains +4 to Strength, +4 to Constitution, and -2 to Armor Class. The creature cannot end its rage voluntarily.
Low-light vision(Ex):
Scent(Ex):
Damage Reduction(Su): null
Cold Resistance(Ex): 5
Fire Resistance(Ex): 5
Darkvision(Ex): Darkvision up to 60ft.
Spell Resistance(Ex): 6
Smite Evil(Su): 1/day a celestial creature can smite an evil foe and add additional 1(1/HD) damage to the attack. If the smite is used against a foe that is not good it adds no additional damage but the smite is still used for the day.
Advancement [2-4(Small)]

Badger 1: smite claw; claw; bite; Badger 2: smite claw; claw; bite
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 16, 4 = 20.
I rolled 1d2+2+1d6, the result is 1, 2 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 15, 4 = 19.
I rolled 1d2+1+1d6, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 12, -1 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 8, 4 = 12.
I rolled 1d2+2+1d6, the result is 2, 2 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 6, 4 = 10.
I rolled 1d2+1+1d6, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 15, -1 = 14.
Darker

Apparently the dice roller doesn't add in the bonus 1d6, so I'm going to roll those separate and then post all together.

Freezing
I rolled 1d6, the result is 5 = 5.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 6 = 6.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 5 = 5.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 2 = 2.
Darker

Badger 1
Smite Claw: rolled 20, damage 8
Second Claw: rolled 19, damage 8
Bite: rolled 11, damage 6

Badger 2
Smite Claw: rolled 12, damage 6
Second Claw: rolled 10, damage 7
Bite: rolled 15, damage 3

Bahamut Omega

Nivor will target Ogre 1 in the front with his bow:

Arrow at Ogre 1.
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 14, 10 = 24.
I rolled 1d8+6, the result is 7, 6 = 13.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Just waiting for Fash, assuming I didn't totally overlook his action. Still having trouble with the new boards.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Fash will fire at the Ogre he can see as well. Ogre 1. Just got this, late, obviously. I will try to figure the die rolling tomorrow. If anyone gets this before I roll feel free to do it for me.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Fash - Eldritch Blast

Not quite close enough for point blank
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 20, 8 = 28.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 3 = 3.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Confirmation for Fash

I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 1, 8 = 9.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 2 = 2.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Orc save versus sickening
Ogre save versus sickening

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 17, 6 = 23.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Orc, Ogre Initiative

I rolled 1d20, the result is 16 = 16.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 20, -1 = 19.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Initiative: Round 1

Nasim 28
Ogres 19
Orcs 16
Nivor 13
Fash 9
Humphrey -4

Darker

Humphrey will let the badgers choose their own targets to annihilate while he spends his turn critiquing Nivor's shot. "No no no Nivor! An ogre's skull is too thick and brain too small! They hardly use it, so you'll never bring one down by shooting it in the head! Hit it's heart, the beast will have fight in him as long as its blood keeps pumping."

Badger Claws:
1d20+4=17, 1d2+1+1d6=5, 1d20+4=23, 1d2+1+1d6=9, 1d20+4=17, 1d2+1+1d6=5, 1d20+4=9, 1d2+1+1d6=6
Badger Bites:
1d20-1=9, 1d3+1d6=5, 1d20-1=7, 1d3+1d6=6

Keep in mind, if they get hit in combat they fly into a rage, giving them 2 more hp and +2 attack/damage.

Bahamut Omega

"Who's trying to hit them in the head?!" Nivor exclaims as he deftly nocks another arrow. Firing upon the same ogre, "I'm going for the throat!"

Shoot him in the throat!
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 11, 10 = 21.
I rolled 1d8+6, the result is 3, 6 = 9.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Ogres

Ogre 2 versus Badger 1; Ogre 1 versus rock wall
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 16, 8 = 24.
I rolled 2d8+7, the result is 4, 7, 7 = 18.
I rolled 2d8+7, the result is 3, 4, 7 = 14.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Orcs attack versus Fash (+8 AC due to improved cover)

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 6, 1 = 7.
I rolled 1d6+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
I rolled 1d6+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Orc 9 (with flanking) and Orc 10 versus Badger (save versus sickened?)

Save/Attack/Damage Orc 9 first (with flanking)
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 19, 6 = 25.
I rolled 2d4+4, the result is 2, 1, 4 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 12, 3 = 15.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 6, 4 = 10.
I rolled 2d4+4, the result is 2, 4, 4 = 10.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Confirmation roll

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 13, 6 = 19.
I rolled 2d4+4, the result is 4, 4, 4 = 12.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Stabilization checks (10 = success)

I rolled 1d10, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d10, the result is 1 = 1.
Oogmach

Nasim will move southwest into that little corner near the door and ready a trip attack against the first enemy to come through...

For whenever it comes up:
Trip (touch attack / trip check): 1d20+9=28, 1d20+9=16
Follow-up if successful (includes prone bonus): 1d20+12=21, 1d8+5=12

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

That's fine if that's what you want to do, but to be clear, you don't think that any number of orcs are going to break down the door at the moment. Without a battering ram, you can't imagine that any number of orcs that can push against the door will have any luck. It looks like when the orcs overwhelmed the Dwarven Defenders, they never made it through the front gate.

Bahamut Omega

I see what looks like a few orbs around Orc 7, what are those?

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Fash will use the withdraw action to move next to Nasim.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

The orbs around Orc 7 are an artifact of having that orc selected when I did my image capture. That happened to be the last place I clicked, and considering the steps involved between my phone and the computer I'm working on, it didn't seem worth fixing.

But that reminds me, the clouds over by Ogre 2 - how quickly are they supposed to dissipate? It's a mountain with a cold brisk breeze blowing. The -2 for sickened wouldn't have made a difference, but I didn't know whether to apply it and/or remove the purplish clouds of gas.

Also, since the badgers were killed before their next turn, if Humphrey wants to do anything besides instruct Nasim, I'm cool with it (he is last in initiative order anyways).

Oogmach

deadDMwalking wrote:

That's fine if that's what you want to do, but to be clear, you don't think that any number of orcs are going to break down the door at the moment. Without a battering ram, you can't imagine that any number of orcs that can push against the door will have any luck. It looks like when the orcs overwhelmed the Dwarven Defenders, they never made it through the front gate.

Well, he can just as easily watch the bridge from there as from where he is now, so eh.

From the description it sounds like there's no chance of their busting in around the arrow-slits either, so is this basically serving to determine how many arrows get used up before we win? (Or rather, before everyone else wins while Nasim watches, not having thought to bring a crossbow.)

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Oh, you seem so sure of victory, huh? If it were just the orcs outside, yes, you would be assured of victory until the orcs either died or were driven off. But someone already inside might let them in. Did you think about that?

Just an FYI - because of the amount of rolling I'm doing on these boards, I'm going to create a new thread for my rolls to avoid disruption of the OOC thread. Things like Fortitude Saves and Strength Checks and enemy attack rolls aren't as interesting outside of the In Character thread, so you can avoid them more easily if I put them elsewhere, if you like.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I just moved Fash from the bottom of the initiative order to the top of the initiative order to keep all the action in a single round. It won't affect his number of turns, or anything, so I hope you don't mind. Nivor and Humphrey are up.

Bahamut Omega

Sorry, I accidentally rolled in the DM's thread.

20 to hit Ogre 1 for 14 damage.

Darker

Humphrey will mumble something about poor dead badgers and hobble out of the area, heading to the main door to see how its going to be holding up. On his way, he'll chastise Nivor again for hitting to high, again telling him to go for the heart.

Oogmach

Continuing to hold in place for now, mainly focused on the bridge but ready to attack an enemy that unexpectedly makes it through the door.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Reposting in the OOC thread.

Board Rider wrote:

Fash will double move back to where he was ending across from orc 5. Basically at the bottom corner of the '2'.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

It is the whole party's turn in the following order:
Nivor
Humphrey
Fash
Nasim

Bahamut Omega

Well have fun with that, Nasim!

Nivor keeps on shooting, this time on Ogre 2, but trying Humphrey's advice about the heart.

Heartshot.
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 5, 10 = 15.
I rolled 1d8+6, the result is 1, 6 = 7.
Bahamut Omega

"I'm pretty sure you're just making this stuff up as you go old man!"

Oogmach

Hoping to make the crossing too dicey for the worgs, if not the ogre, Nasim moves to the near end of the bridge and attempts to chop through the right-hand-side rope with his kama. (This assumes that, at a glance, doing so looks like it would destabilize the bridge significantly.)

Damage 1d6+5=11

Darker

Humphrey is again moving toward the main gate.... if he reaches near the room with the Ogre and the bridge and can see them he'll stop to try to decide what to do - if he notices.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Just waiting on Fash.

I probably ought to do an updated map, but it'll be easier if I wait until Tuesday (when I'm back at work). I'll send the file to myself at home so I can update the map easily without having to recreate everything.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Fash will fire into the arrow slit at orc 6

I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 11, 9 = 20.
I rolled 1d6+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

PCs' turn in the following order:
Nivor
Humphrey
Fash
Nasim.

Die roller appears to be offline. I suggest linking to invisible castle.

Bahamut Omega

Jeez, I am glad he went down that way in lieu of straight up combat. The latter would've been just unpleasant given the fact that he's still alive.

Hearing the scream in the distance, Nivor calls back, "Everything ok back there?"

Not waiting for a response, the Lieutenant grabs another pointed object and draws it back, this time aiming for an eye. "Not sure why the hell I'm taking advice from an old wizard whose specialty is anything but killing ogres the old fashioned way," he mutters to himself as he lets the arrow fly.

Arrow for the eye. (1d20+10=16, 1d8+6=14)

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Fash will fire another Eldritch Blast at orc 5.

EB ranged touch
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 16, 9 = 25.
I rolled 1d6+1, the result is 6, 1 = 7.
Oogmach

Keeping one eye on the worgs in case they still have funny business in mind, Nasim leans a bit over the edge of the chasm, trying to get a glimpse of the ogre if his darkvision will reach that far.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Humphrey?

(That's you, Darker)...

Pages