Chapter 1, The Great Race (OOC)

251 posts / 0 new
Last post
Darker

I'm assuming always impatient Jun will want to get to the destination the fastest, so that's a 4 to 1 to 1 vote for moving on.

Now its time for initiative rolls and to post your actions OOC.

Right now the windspeed is 30 ft/round and the boat under attack is 150 ft away, so it'll take 5 rounds to reach it. For every two characters that take up an oar, you can increase the speed by 10 ft/round. Of course, you can make ranged attacks now as well (but keep in mind that there are range penalties and the crew is in melee with the mudbugs).

At the moment a map isn't important, but I'll post one if it becomes necessary.

Also a note for the lookouts - if you are engaging in another activity (like fighting), you'll have a -5 distraction penalty to your spot check. You'll get a free spot check each round, if you fail, you can reroll as a move action.

aetherfox

Initiative

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 20, 3 = 23.
aetherfox

Do mudbugs have damage resistance vs piercing? If my character doesn't know by taking 10 on a nature check (with +8 I think) I ask Kirin or Arseneaux. Also, is there any chance that his name is pronounced Arsenio? Because if it is, Im going to be horribly tempted to start chanting "woo woo woo woo" while pumping my fist in the air.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Initiative -1

Initiative
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 9, -1 = 8.
Darker

You know that while not extra protected from piercing damage, they are quite resistant to all forms of weapons. Their exoskeletons are thick and they are well protected all over. So much so that some swamp folk make armor from them.

With that roll, you are likely first, so what will be Tiernan's action.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Sorry, yeah, I am here. Jun wants to win the race ASAP because GOLD ... or maybe that is just me.

Darker

aetherfox wrote:


I think it's pronounced Arseno.... Sorry
drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Nope. It is definitely Ar-sennio-noo-sicks. Because halflings are fucking stupid.

Initiative: +2

... Wow, really taking the initiative there, Jun. Way to be.

She isn't fucking with his sticks and stones. She has a Mighty Composite Bow +6, and she is going to use that to shove arrows up these bugs asses. Unless, of course, that proves absolutely fruitless.

Edit: Jun will grab an Oar to get this heap moving to the help of the other boat quicker.

Init
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
mruozu
mruozu's picture

Initiative for Kirin

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 15, 1 = 16.
aetherfox

Tiernan whole heartedly agrees that the halfling playtime throwing sticks are for noobs and will be moving to the front of the boat and firing two shots into the darkness via his mighty darkwood bow (it's the one that has "bad motherfucker" etched across the side).

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 20, 5 = 25.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 9, 5 = 14.
aetherfox

And that folks is what they call a critical hit. Feel the pain crawbitch.

I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 5, 2 = 7.
I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 7, 2 = 9.
I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 5, 2 = 7.
drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Victory. Violence. Bad motherfucker.

Darker

I think Dwelmer's player is out of town this weekend, so in the interest of getting the IC post up (since I have time now which is rare), I'm going to roll out his init to put him IC. Also, Tiernan, you need a confirm critical roll - it hit for sure, but you'll need to confirm it by rolling again. For convenience, I'll roll it up here as well.

Dwelmer Init; Tiernan critical confirmation (-2 range) vs backlight opponent.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 20, 2 = 22.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 16, 3 = 19.
aetherfox

Rules shmools, I eat mudbugs like this for breakfast. No seriously, see my IC post ...

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

When Rufus's turn comes, he's going to abandon 'navigation' and move to an oar to help close the distance as quickly as possible.

wanderingmound

Attack roll

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 10, 3 = 13.
drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Jun is still rowing until we get close enough for her to get a shot off and then go toe-to-toe with this bitch because anger issues.

wanderingmound

Dwelmer pulls the trigger again.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 12, 3 = 15.
wanderingmound

Dwelmer pulls the trigger again.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 19, 3 = 22.
wanderingmound

Critical confirmation

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 20, 3 = 23.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

By way of an FYI, you can roll multiple rolls in a single post. Just separate them with a ";"

For example, if I wanted to roll 2 attacks at 1d20+3 and damage at 1d8+2, I would type the following:

1d20+3; 1d8+2; 1d20+3; 1d8+2
In the notes, I might put something like 'two attacks'.

Two attacks
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 10, 3 = 13.
I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 2, 2 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 8, 3 = 11.
I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 5, 2 = 7.
aetherfox

I'm aware of the functionality but I don't like jinxing the virtual dice by rolling damage before I confirm a hit. In the interest of efficiency over OCD, I will bow to group protocol on that one. Taste my pointy friend kisses of doom, mudbugs!

Double bad motherfucker bow barrage
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 10, 5 = 15.
I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 6, 2 = 8.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 12, 5 = 17.
I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 5, 2 = 7.
drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

aetherfox wrote:

I'm aware of the functionality but I don't like jinxing the virtual dice by rolling damage before I confirm a hit. In the interest of efficiency over OCD, I will bow to group protocol on that one. Taste my pointy friend kisses of doom, mudbugs!

I empathize with this completely.

Darker

Two things - One, Dwelmer doesn't have Rapid shot, so he can only make one attack.... Two, Tiernan killed the only available target, so there's nothing for Dwelmer to shoot anyway, making the attack (and extra one) moot. Given that at Dwelmer's initiative there is no creature to attack, what does he want to do?

wanderingmound

Ready my action to fire at the mudbug when it appears. I said I fired again cause I thought it was the second round. Also, the doubling of the post was not a second attack if that is what you are talking about. That is the site being weird.

wanderingmound

Ready my action to fire at the mudbug when it appears. I said I fired again cause I thought it was the second round. Also, the doubling of the post was not a second attack if that is what you are talking about. That is the site being weird.

aetherfox

And it double posted for you again, mound. Drumandfight, glad I'm not the only neurotic dice roller in the group!

Darker

Ok, at this point, you have a creature that takes up a 10x10 space (that's 2 squares by 2 squares for mental maps) and has a 10 foot reach. Its on the starboard side of the bow, so it can pretty much attack and reach anybody but those completely on the aft or port side. Tiernan and Arseneaux are in the aft already, Jun is in the bow, and Rufus, Kirin, and Dwelmer are in the middle of the ship (so they can take a 5 ft step out of range to the port or 5 ft step into melee range.)

In other words, just tell me if you want to step forward and melee or step back and do something out of the things threat range.

I'll take actions from EVERYONE since the mudbug won't act again until its next action.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Jun is going to step up and take that Katana in both hands and fuck this thing's day up. But I cant think about anything technical that goes with that because it is bed time here in the land of the rising bullshit.

Let's talk about it in 8 hours.

aetherfox

That must make the US land of the setting bullshit.

I fire two more shots at point blank range before Jun enters melee.

30' or less hurts worse
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 14, 6 = 20.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 9, 6 = 15.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 7, 3 = 10.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Rufus will step back to aft. "Fine bit of rowing if say so myself. We covered the distance much faster than I anticipated. Now make sure you go for the eyes - they're more vulnerable than the carapace." Rufus is full of other such 'helpful' observations as the warriors handle the actual work of slaughtering the enemy.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Rufus will step back to port. "Fine bit of rowing if say so myself. We covered the distance much faster than I anticipated. Now make sure you go for the eyes - they're more vulnerable than the carapace." Rufus is full of other such 'helpful' observations as the warriors handle the actual work of slaughtering the enemy.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Oh shit the double post-ghost has DDMW now!

IC: Jun jumps up from the blow, pulling her katana in one motion. Anger rips through her at the damage done, but she calms it down, keen on testing the hardiness of this beast before losing herself completely to the battle lust. Gripping the lengthy blade in two hands, she charges the mudbug and delivers a vicious downward blow across its chopping mandibles.

Edit: Nevermind, that wasn't a critical. I am a piece of shit. Anyways, maximum damage so that mudbug can get on these nuts.

Katana attack
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 13, 6 = 19.
critical confirmation
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 3, 6 = 9.
damage
I rolled 1d10+2, the result is 10, 2 = 12.
aetherfox

But wait, is he aft or port?? This may be less a ghost and more an alternate reality double ...

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

It was an attempt to edit from my phone - I didn't see the un-edited version posted. It was supposed to be a step to port (away from the monster).

mruozu
mruozu's picture

IC: Kirin moves into position with his Warhammer in hand, ready to deliver a nice blow to the foul beast in front of them all. "Oi, ye look jus abut as ooogly as meee!" He swings downward, hoping his hammer can deliver some swift justice.

Attack
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 14, 2 = 16.
Damage
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.
Darker

Dwelmer's having issues with posting, so here's rolls.

Ranged Touch
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 13, 3 = 16.
I rolled 4d6+4, the result is 5, 5, 5, 4, 4 = 23.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Just to clarify - is there any reason the sailor wouldn't recover with normal treatment? Could he be healed with additional spells? Sometimes 'dramatic death scenes' and healing don't go well together... I'm not sure if he was just in the negatives or 'dead for real'.

wanderingmound

While the group that checks on the sailors dwelmer uses autohypnosis to regain focus.

I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 15, 8 = 23.
Darker

deadDMwalking wrote:

Just to clarify - is there any reason the sailor wouldn't recover with normal treatment? Could he be healed with additional spells? Sometimes 'dramatic death scenes' and healing don't go well together... I'm not sure if he was just in the negatives or 'dead for real'.

He's heal and stable, but it'll be hours before he regains cousciousness and its always possible he never does (by failing his rolls over and over and dying of dyhydration, etc). Or making a sudden move when he wakes up and opening the wound again and bleeding out. But for a simple answer, at the moment, Rufus (knowing the power of magical healing) sees no reason the man needs additional healing to prevent death. However, from a outsiders perspective, he still looks like he might stop his struggling breathing at any time.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Good to know. I might heal him to consciousness, but wanted to get a sense of everyone else, first.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Someone want to roll an aid another?

Darker

Yeah, ya'll need to be aiding him!

aetherfox

Providing aid in knowledge geo:

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 17, 6 = 23.
Darker

Have been bogged down in doc class stuff recently, but never fear, we will get this back on track shortly.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

So, this is dead, right?

Darker

No, PhD program just kicking my ass. We've got a break coming up, I fully intend to pick it back up - who else is willing to get this going again?

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

I will post when posting is needed.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I am ready and willing. For more than just this game.

;)

Darker

Keep it in your pants... Alright, I'll get others a chance to chime in on the willingness to continue... if I don't get enough players, I'll look at transforming it into something else using the same characters of whoever is left (and possibly adding new characters if anyone else is interested). Oh, and I have news on the "Life, the Universe, and Everything" forum.

Pages