Chapter 2: How Do They Rise Up? (OOC)

1656 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Meh. Kobolds all look alike to me.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Might as well, Swarbrick is dust.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

With Vander prone, is the thing standing next to him considered engaged in melee, or are ranged attacks considered unhindered in regards to it?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It's still in melee. Vandersrike takes a -4 penalty to his attacks against it because he's prone, and it gets a +4 bonus to its attacks against him. But Vandersrike still threatens the squares around him, so it still is considered to be in melee with him, which penalizes ranged attacks against it.

Red #4 is not in melee, but is in shadowy illumination from Kaarys's perspective (versus that of Leland or Vandersrike, who cannot see Red #4 at all because they lack low-light vision and Red #4 is a shade over 60 ft. from the kobold). If Kaarys attacked Red #4, he'd suffer a 20% miss chance due to the lighting. #4 is at the extreme outside of the first range increment of Kaarys's bow, so he would not suffer any penalties due to range. Although that's likely to change if Red #4 moves farther away than its current location.

Adding yet a third dimension of uncertainty to all of this, Kaarys has no real way of knowing how well either Yellow #1 or Red #4 can see. He's in the dark, so he has total concealment right now unless one of them has low-light vision, darkvision, blindsight, or something similar and is in range of him. The most common range for darkvision is 60 ft., and Yellow #1 is well within that distance of him. So if it has darkvision, it sees him fine. And if either of the two creatures has low-light vision, it's undoubtedly true that they can see him about as well as he sees Red #4 (20% miss chance).

But if they don't have some kind of especially keen senses, he's basically invisible right now, which would mean that he gets a +2 bonus to attacks versus sighted creatures and can ignore their Dex bonus to AC. If he were close enough, that'd also be sufficient to let him execute a sneak attack, but alas, he is not so close as all that.

The thing attacking Vandersrike does not look like it's having any trouble seeing; it went after him with no hesitation. Nevertheless, there's reason to think that SOME your attackers may not have extraordinary visual acuity; Kisasi and Swarbrick both got nailed as soon as they stepped into an illuminated area, and at least from Kaarys's point of view the same thing seems to have hit them both. If whatever got them doesn't hit Kaarys, Leland, or Armund (or a wolf) in the next couple of seconds, then that'll tell you something.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland saddles up next to Kaarys and says, "If you can get him closer, I will heal him." Frustrated, he hisses to his compatriots, "Can any of you see what the bloody blazes is out there?"

Readied action to cast a CLW on Swarbrick if he gets in range.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alright. Kaarys is on deck.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Kaarys says to Leland, "How 'bout we just trade places?" and then 5ft step diagonal down and the right one space. Then a potshot at Red 4.

No extra bonuses or minuses included.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 13, 7 = 20.
I rolled 1d8, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 4 = 4.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Stabilization, Kisasi

I rolled 1d100, the result is 78 = 78.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

Yellow #1 vs. Vandersrike (includes bonus vs. prone opponent)
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 12, 8 = 20.
I rolled 1d6+4, the result is 5, 4 = 9.
Climb, Scorpiontaur
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 20, 12 = 32.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'm not going to lie, boys. This isn't going well for you.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

At least we found the aliens we were looking for.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Agreed.

Henrik continues running to Vandersrike (Black 6).

Henrik continues his mad dash toward the fallen kobold, intent on saving him if it isn't too late. If it isn't too late for all of them. If things go the way he expects them to, Henrik will be running for a long, long time - if he has a chance to.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

At least we found the aliens we were looking for.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

Stabilization, Swarbrick
I rolled 1d100, the result is 36 = 36.
Reflex saves (Leland, Raksha, Kaarys)
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 17, 3 = 20.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 2, 7 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 5, 7 = 12.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Armund hesitates for a short moment, seeming to war with himself. Finally, seeing the scorpion-centaur so clearly seems to concrete something for him and he lets out a peculiar whistle and follows it with a command in the secret language of the druids. "Ich Sally, drah!" he exclaims.

Armund will use a withdraw action to move as quickly as he can away from the scorpion-centaur. I assume that with it being on top of the wall, the height of its position will allow him to get away without an AoO using a withdraw. He has given Sally the command to heel to him, and expects she will do so as he moves. He will avoid any opponents he can see and head in a generally southern direction, trying to skirt the edge of his light spell on the west side, if possible.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

I rolled 4d6, the result is 2, 6, 6, 3 = 17.
I rolled 1d100.hits(11), the result is 8 = 0 vs. 11.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 3, 6 = 9.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I'm struggling to follow what's actually happening. Is there some sort of aura attack or gaze attack that's dropping everyone?

Darker

Some sort of psychic attack, like a lessor phantasmal killer.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

At a certain point, it's time to run and fight again another day. Leland has reached that point. He, too, calls for Raksha to heel and beats feet along the same route Armund took.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'm reluctant to explain exactly what is happening, but the gist of it is that readied actions are a bitch.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Leland needs to make a Reflex save before he goes anywhere. Raksha needs a Balance check.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Reflex, balance

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 18, 3 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 20, 3 = 23.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Stabilization, Vandersrike

I rolled 1d100, the result is 76 = 76.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Poor little kobold.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I guess he had the right idea all along with all of the running and hiding.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yeah, I guess he did.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Henrik - now last of Vandersrike's tribe. Who'd have thunk?

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

How does the grease affect Kaarys exactly? As in, he's prone now, and it's a move action to stand. Once he's standing, does he have to make another save to move out of the stuff? Can he tumble out? Can he tumble to stand up for free? Does he have to make a save to even stand up? I looked over grease, tumble, standing up, and prone in the SRD and can't find a conclusive answer.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

He's a buttery noodle bout to get sluuuuurped up

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Under Highlander rules, does this mean in our next campaign we're the monsters destroying the kingdom?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Obsidian_Spoon wrote:

How does the grease affect Kaarys exactly? As in, he's prone now, and it's a move action to stand.

Accurate.

Quote:
Once he's standing, does he have to make another save to move out of the stuff?
He must make a Balance check vs. DC 10. If he passes, he can move—half speed within the yellow area of the grease effect, or full speed if he leaves it; if he fails the check, he can't move at all, and he must subsequently make another Reflex save vs. DC 14 or fall down again.

Quote:
Can he tumble out? Can he tumble to stand up for free? Does he have to make a save to even stand up? I looked over grease, tumble, standing up, and prone in the SRD and can't find a conclusive answer.

I don't think Tumble is going to be relevant as a means of getting out. He can stand up; if he passes his Balance check, then he can simply leave the area of the grease effect normally. If he moves NW, W, SW, S, or SE, he wouldn't have any noteworthy impact on his movement. If he moves E, NE, or N, the movement would cost twice the normal amount, and he would have to go through the rigmarole with the Balance check and possible Reflex save again next round.

Standing from prone as a free action is possible at DC 35; I don't think Kaarys has a sufficiently good Balance modifier to have any chance to succeed.

He doesn't need to make a save to stand up.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Cronono wrote:

Under Highlander rules, does this mean in our next campaign we're the monsters destroying the kingdom?

If we end up in a situation where the entire party dies, then we'll have a discussion about what kind of campaign people would like to have. For a variety of reasons, I don't think that a monstrous campaign that takes this party's defeat as its jumping-off point is going to be in the cards.

For so long as we have survivors, though, I'm going to continue the current campaign. It looks like Leland and Armund are making a break for it, and Henrik evidently is thinking about it as well. It's not impossible that someone will manage to escape.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

If anyone is looking for character ideas, may I suggest a willowy blonde with an inexplicable physical attraction to dwarves?

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Ahem. Leland is part of the tribe, too. ;)

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Ok, Kaarys' plan is to stand up, then move 30ft directly left (assuming he can move over Swar's dying body). That should bring him to the far side of the lit area. Dodge on Yellow 1.

On the way, he'll shout at Henrick, "Untie Serry [horse #3]! We ride if we want to live!" [Untying the horse was a move action, yeah?]

Balance
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 11, 7 = 18.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes, it's a move action. And even if Swarbrick were not unconscious and bleeding, he is a friendly, so you could pass through his square without a problem as long as you weren't trying to charge or run through. You can't occupy the same square as him if he's awake, but right now he's helpless, so you could stand in his square if you wanted.

Anyway, that's a valid action. Off we go!

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

Stabilization, Kisasi
I rolled 1d100, the result is 52 = 52.
Jump, Scorpiontaur
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
Non-lethal fall, Scorpiontaur
I rolled 1d6, the result is 5 = 5.
Charge vs. Kaarys, Yellow 1, with trip
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 5, 6 = 11.
I rolled 1d6+4, the result is 2, 4 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 16, 3 = 19.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 2, 4 = 6.
Charge vs. Henrik, Yellow 2, with trip
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 14, 6 = 20.
I rolled 1d6+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 7, 3 = 10.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 9, 4 = 13.
Scorpiontaur vs. Armand
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 18, 8 = 26.
I rolled 2d6+6, the result is 4, 6, 6 = 16.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Wait, didn't you say earlier that the scorp-thing doesn't have reach, despite being large? It wouldn't be able to reach Armand from where it's at, since Armand is the black #1, right?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Good catch. I have edited the map to reflect this.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Also, the person that charged me should have to save versus Sanctuary.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It's definitely not a person.

I rolled 1d20, the result is 18 = 18.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

This is sucky... Henrik is going to use the withdraw action to end up directly in between horse 2 and 3. He'll end in the westernmost of the two squares. Unfortunately, using the withdraw action precludes unhobbling the horse. He'd give his left nut for two extra move actions. My hope is that the position he's chosen will prevent anyone from charging him through the next round.

IC: Armund's decapitation is a clarion call. There is no standing against what is a well-coordinated ambush by a powerful and organized foe. Adventurer's don't normally have long lives, but Henrik always expected that when he fell his companions would hold the ground and at least pretend to be sorry he was gone. In some corner of his mind leaving the fallen pained him, but the rest of his mind was screaming that he'd be a fool to join them. He dodged away from his closest attacker and tried to get the bulk of a horse between them.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I don't know if anyone could fairly characterize this as sucky:

This is simply art.

Darker

I, for one, welcome our new aberration overlords.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

New campaign idea:

We're all fishermen from Innsmouth.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

They will lay eggs in Swarbrick's skull last. And they will do it artistically.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I usually try to specify whether something is sucky in a good way or a bad way. I mean, a Dyson advertises that it never doesn't suck and they want you to buy their product because of it. So while this is sucky, I'm also enjoying it. But I don't know for how long.

I think there was a scene about that in the Cowboy Way.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

Kaarys, Reflex vs. grease (DC 14)
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 2, 7 = 9.
Stabilization, Swarbrick
I rolled 1d100, the result is 80 = 80.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Would it be possible for Kaarys to unhobble his horse once sitting on it?

Also, presuming that is the case, would Henrik then be able to climb on the horse with one move action and then use the horse's move actions to ride away with Kaarys and himself?

If Kaarys fails a fast mount check and has to use his last move for mounting, instead, could Henrik unhobble the horse and climb on with his moves, then use the horse's moves to escape?

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I am also very keen to know.

Pages