Chapter 2: How Do They Rise Up? (OOC)

1656 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, I don't know if it helps or hurts your decision-making, but White #2 is literally the only candidate for him to attack that is not either downed already, or inhabiting a more defensible square. He could validly attack #1, if he wishes; it's helpless, so he could even use a coup de grace on it if he's willing to risk an AoO.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

I accept your apology and will just stick with swinging and missing. However, I will sulk.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It's as if I'd never made an error at all!

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Sulk EXTRA.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

So what's Kisasi doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Kisasi will ride back up north along the trail, ending his movement just south of Horace. He will use a standard action to ready an attack if any fleeing bothrians enter his threatened space.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay. I'll go ahead and get actions from Leland and Armund, as well.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

I'm back home now, so I can continue with Kaarys when his turn comes up.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland will slash at White 5!

I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 12, 4 = 16.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 8, 1 = 9.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Armund will load another bullet and attempt to hit the same target as he missed last turn. I *think* that's White #5, but I'm in a place right now where I can't easily load images, so I can't double-check the battlefield at the moment.

Attack; Damage
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 11, 3 = 14.
I rolled 1d4+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

Miss chance, Leland vs. White #5
I rolled 1d100, the result is 15 = 15.
Stabilization, White #6
I rolled 1d100, the result is 14 = 14.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let's have AoOs from Leland, Swarbrick, and Henrik, please.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 15, 7 = 22.
I rolled 1d3, the result is 1 = 1.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

-2 if not flanking.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
I rolled 1d8+4, the result is 1, 4 = 5.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 4 = 4.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

AoO (with flanking)

Kill!
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 19, 8 = 27.
I rolled 1d10+3, the result is 8, 3 = 11.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

AoO

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 14, 2 = 16.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

I rolled 1d6, the result is 3 = 3.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Nice. White #2 is the only bothrian left that isn't either dying or fleeing.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Kaarys is going to take a circuitous route to the east and flank #2 against Henrik, then try and stab it.

Rapier, dmg, sneak.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 7, 9 = 16.
I rolled 1d6+1, the result is 3, 1 = 4.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 4 = 4.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Ah well, I guess someone else can kill it.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let's have an AoO from Kaarys, please. If Swarbrick or Henrik has Combat Reflexes, they also can attempt one.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Henrik doesn't have reflexes, let alone combat reflexes.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I don't think that's true. If he's around a pretty girl but also unconscious, I think he might say something creepy without any need for his brain to get involved.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

With flanking? I'll roll with flanking, so just -2 if no flanking.

AoO (with flank), dmg, sneak if applicable
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 8, 9 = 17.
I rolled 1d6+1, the result is 3, 1 = 4.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 3 = 3.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Stabilization, White #1

I rolled 1d100, the result is 55 = 55.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Henrik moves toward Sally, casting cure light wounds but holding the charge.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Posting in OOC in case the threat isn't actually gone yet:

Once he's certain the threat is gone, Kaarys will walk over and pick up his bow. "That...," pausing to get his discarded weapon, "...was decidedly unpleasant."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Is anyone going to pursue the fleeing bothrians, or should I proceed with the assumption that you're all going to stand down, see to your wounded, and maybe finish off those that you've already downed?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Armund isn't planning on pursuing, much as he'd probably like to. He *will* be putting any survivors to the blade before they wake up.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Is there a bounty on live ones at the keep?

Darker

I am sure there would be; however, nothing worth the risk of keeping one of these guys around. Unless someone came equipped with a cage and cart or wagon, we aren't really outfitted to take one back.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Vandersrike will let them flee and carve up the ones that are still throbbing.

Darker

Oh, also Swarbrick doesn't care to pursue. If these things are animal intelligence, they will likely steer clear of them in the future for easier prey.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

We'll go ahead and call this the end of combat, then.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The last posting from the battle in the IC thread has a final statement of who's injured and how badly.

What's your next move? Are our heroes going to continue the search for Porp's brethren, or go back to Mamor to lick their wounds, or what?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The only place we can be certain doesn't have nasty monsters ready to jump us is here. We will use some healing - who can spare what?

1) What time of day is it? What temperatures do we expect? I believe we're concerned about cold, is that right?
2) I believe a storm is imminent, right? What are the known details about that storm?
3) How far away is Mamor?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

1 & 2) It's late afternoon, roughly 2 hours to sunset. It's currently storming, although the worst passed before you left Mamor. If Leland and the other woodsy types are correct, the weather will start to clear up at dusk, stay clear through tomorrow morning, and then the temperature will take a sudden nosedive and become chilly through out the day. More rain around noon. Nighttime temperatures tomorrow will continue downward into a freeze, which Leland believes will be accompanied by a blizzard that will last at least overnight, and possibly longer.

3) It took you about half an hour to get here from Mamor, your pace being dictated by Henrik's stumpy little dwarf legs. Call it two miles on the road. Maybe a hair less if you took a more direct route, although that probably wouldn't save you any time, what with undergrowth in this forest and then fences and ditches once you re-emerge into the fields near the village.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Kisasi will retrieve his lance and reclaim his position at the head of the column.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Henrik has 4 Cure Minor Wounds (1 point of healing each) and one Cure Light Wounds (1d8+3) available. If we run into anything else on the road, he's not going to be getting anyone back into the fight.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The CLW is already cast, too, so it's really just a question of determining where you set it down.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

In addition to the one he already cast for Sally. He just hadn't delivered it yet. I edited my character sheet to mark it as struck out when I cast it.

I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Armund's not leaving Sally, so Henrick's spell gets to be a twofer to heal both Sally and Armund. Armund has 2 instances of cure minor wounds that can be put to use. They're earmarked for Sally if Herick's spell doesn't wake her, but they're available as needed if she does wake.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Share spells only works for spells that Armund casts himself, unfortunately.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Well... phooey!

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

So Sally gets it. Henrik knows if the wolf doesn't get up quickly we have to worry about Vandersrike putting her down.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I object to this characterization. It's not wrong, but I object.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Based on the outcome of Henrik's CLW, Sally is awake with 8 points of damage still on the books.

Swarbrick's horse is . . . somewhere up the road to the north, since it ran away after getting mauled while its owner was dismounted and not available to keep it under control. It has 18 points of damage on the books, and its max is about 22 hp. After that, Leland, Kaarys and Armund are your worst-injured assets.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Yeah, poor horse needs some help.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland has one CLW left for spells and plenty of charges on the CLW wand he has. He can heal us up if we'd like to press on. What would that leave us with for spells?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Henrik's got a domain spell (which he can't use for healing) and a 1st-level spell. I think Armund is down to orisons. Out of the party as a whole, Leland's probably got the most spells still available, since I think he's limited himself to the flame blade and a CLW.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I think that basically, your options are:

1) Try to continue, in which case you heal up as well as you can, probably relying on Leland's wand to whatever extent he's willing to use it so as to reserve some degree of offensive/defensive magic in case things go to hell on you.

2) Head back to the village of Mamor to rest and heal up, then try again in the morning in hopes that you can sort out this trip before the weather becomes inclement.

3) Go back to the village, rest, and then go home to Zeno in the morning to report that you tried REALLY hard to identify the likely source of an attempt on the local ruler's life, but there were tentacle beasts and rain, and then it started to get cold out, so you decided to give up.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages