Chapter 2: How Do They Rise Up? (OOC)

1656 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

Use your move action to tumble down either one square southeast or 1SE, 1S, then ready your standard action to attack once I've moved.

Because after I lance White #7 my horse will be moving adjacent to it to execute a full attack, and I'm pretty sure I'll be flanking White #5 with you at that point because I'll still be holding the lance. It's just a little visually confusing for me because I currently take up a large space and am using a reach weapon. Can we get confirmation on whether I'll be threatening #5 after moving one square east; and if so, where Vandersrike will need to stand to be able to flank with me?

White #5 doesn't seem like a very logical target for Kisasi and Vandersrike to flank. I THINK you probably mean White #6, currently hanging out 1 square due south of Vandersrike.

Flanking is calculated by going from center to center of the attacking entities' spaces. If the line goes through opposite sides of the defender's space, even at the corners, it's a flank. But that condition isn't satisfied here, so it wouldn't be a valid flank if Vandersrike moves SE. I checked for flanking if he went SE, S instead, and that also would be unsuitable.

As far as I can tell, there is movement available to Vandersrike that would allow him to use Kisasi as a flanking backstop against White #6. Kisasi's planned actions simply will not position him in a way that allows that to happen.

The easiest way to get flanking opportunities, I suspect, would be for Vandersrike to disengage from melee using the withdraw action, and then spend a round in movement to reposition himself in such a fashion as come up from the south of the bothrians. That's just a function of the geometry of this particular battlefield.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Vandersrike will cry out:

"Give me a hand!"

He will then delay.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

If Vander doesn't move, Kaarys can flank with him next round. He's just been moving into melee slowly due to being goopped. Gooped? Whichever.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Nvm, that one's dead.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland plops himself between Kisasi and Vandersrike and attempts to go all Jedi on the bothrian closest to him.

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Summoned Wolf

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 20, 5 = 25.
I rolled 1d6+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 15, 3 = 18.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 15, 3 = 18.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Confirm, tie-breaker

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 1, 5 = 6.
I rolled 1d6+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 18, 3 = 21.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Armund is up. Vandersrike's delaying, so Cronono can feel free to jump in when he likes.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

That unmarked white dot between 3, 2, 5, and 7, is that just a corpse?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

That's correct. In previous combats, there seemed to have been some confusion about which corpses belonged to which side. So I decided to preserve coloration this time

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Is there any indication that Swarbrick is interested in setting up a flank?

Darker

Swarbrick (or I) is actually considering dropping back to Kaarys and cutting him free. If Kaarys wants to delay until after Swarbrick tries it, he can do that. If Kaarys isn't interested in that help, then Swarbrick might be interested in setting up a flank if Vandersrike wants to move down into a flanking position with Leland, Swarbrick can take a 5' step into Vandersrike's old spot and flank.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Armund will put away his sling and move, drawing his scimitar as he does so. He'll end his action three squares to the west of Kaarys's current position.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

So is Vandersrike going to keep delaying, or what?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Yup. Keep delaying.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

White #6 vs. Leland; White #3 vs. Summoned Wolf
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 16, 4 = 20.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 4, 4 = 8.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 15, 2 = 17.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 74 = 74.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 9, 4 = 13.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 17, 4 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 5, 4 = 9.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
White #5
I rolled 1d2, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 13, 4 = 17.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 9, 4 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 16, -1 = 15.
I rolled 1d6+1, the result is 5, 1 = 6.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I take it it did not provoke?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It took a 5-foot step.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Vandersrike will go.

Tumble SE, S, S.

Attack.

Tumble, Attack
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 6, 4 = 10.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 8, 7 = 15.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Joy of joys. Please let me know how the provoke goes.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

AoO vs. Vandersrike

I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 18, 4 = 22.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 13, 4 = 17.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 11, 2 = 13.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

So, we don't have any spellcasters, right?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well, that's different.

Vandersrike's at 0 hit points, meaning that he's staggered but isn't actually losing hit points. If he does anything "strenuous," which includes attacking, casting a spell, or taking more than a single move action or standard action per round, he'll fall to -1 and start bleeding out. So his situation is still very serious, but he's not going to die unless he falls to -10 hit points.

He's also grappled, but under an unusual subset of the grapple rules. Bothrians have Improved Grab, which allows them to decide not to move into the same space as their victims. Instead, they can simply maintain the grapple with the body part that they originally used to establish it (a tentacle, in this case), allowing them to use their remaining attacks normally, threaten an area, retain their Dex bonuses to AC, etc. But in so doing, they suffer a -20 penalty on subsequent grapple checks--that's a net -16 in this case.

That's important for Vandersrike, because it means that although he can't get LOOSE from the grapple (that'd be strenuous), he can passively resist the bothrian's grapple checks with zero chance of failure. It can't use its constrict attack against him unless it wins a grapple check, so in turn, that means that unless the bothrian moves into his square for a normal grapple or uses its bite attack on him, it can't actually hurt him. Of course, if nobody does anything to distract the bothrian, I think that it's probably just going to go ahead and do one of those things when its turn comes around. And then it'll eat his face.

Fortunately, White #6 is near the end of the initiative order. So there's still time for a dramatic rescue!

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Leland, Armund, and Henrik. Druid, probably-druid, and cleric.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I meant Arcane. Let's see how it goes anywho.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Ah. Well, that's true. You have no arcane spellcasters in the party at all. So if you're concerned that Vandersrike is going to get dead and are planning a replacement, I think you'd certainly be filling a gap in the current order of battle.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

If Swarbrick is going to move back and try to cut some goop off of Kaarys, then he'll spend his turn getting a head start. His bow is not much use at this point, so he'll drop the bow and spend a move action to draw his hand axe, then standard to cut at some of the goop.

Scraping away...
I rolled 1d6+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

What's with all these minimum dmg rolls!

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The dicebot is punishing all of you for metagaming, most likely.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

White #2 vs. (1--Kisasi; 2--Horse)
I rolled 1d2, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 20, 4 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 5, 2 = 7.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
White #1 vs. (1--Kisasi; 2--Horse)
I rolled 1d2, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 12, 4 = 16.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 9, 4 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 19, 2 = 21.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
White #4 vs. Kaarys
I rolled 1d100, the result is 98 = 98.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 14, 4 = 18.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 6, 4 = 10.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 20, 3 = 23.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Kisasi has an AoO coming to him. White 2, White 1, and White 4 are all doing things that provoke attacks.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Damnit. Sure would have been lovely had I remembered to add that I was using dodge on the closest monster... :(

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yeah, it would. Kaarys's base AC is 18. -2 for the shmoo, but +2 for the tree. The attack roll came out to 18. It's a close thing.

It's too bad that it's so easy to forget to choose a Dodge target. The most reliable way is to follow in the footsteps of Señor Vorpal Kickasso (a nom de guerre of Fumbles, a goblin from the eponymous webcomic).




Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Vandersrike is also the only trap-oriented PC, isn't he?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

There are a couple of others who can deal with traps to some extent. He's the only one who's actually got ranks in skills that would do more than allow him to detect the presence of a trap.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Truly, I hate the dodge feat and how it works. Just because I as a player forget to declare it, my character as a person in the world just doesn't try to the best of his ability to not get hit by an enemy. It's one of the few parts of the rules that make the characters seem less like existing people and more like numbers on a page.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well. Let's see which bothrian Kisasi decides to AoO.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Sorry, I missed that in the email shuffle. Kisasi will attack White #1 with his lance using the AoO.

Lance vs White #1 (higher ground, attack of opportunity)
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 16, 5 = 21.
I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I feel like I need to help Vandersrike but I will provoke AoOs from all kinds of enemies if I move over there, unless I do so by withdrawing (in which case I can't do anything when I arrive because I will have used a full round of actions).

So instead, I would like to keep them all on me because that's mostly working so far, and maybe someone else can rescue him. Kisasi will attack White #4 with his lance and the horse will make a full round of attacks against White #5.

Lance vs White #4 (higher ground), Light warhorse vs White #5 (two hooves and bite)
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 11, 5 = 16.
I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 5, 2 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 9, 4 = 13.
I rolled 1d4+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 18, 4 = 22.
I rolled 1d4+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oh, I forgot the horse's bite.

Bite vs White #5
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 9, -1 = 8.
I rolled 1d3+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Swarbrick moves to the space on the path 5' south of Horace the mule -- it should still touch Blue 6 on the diagonal. He attempts to free Kaarys by swiping through the gunk.

I rolled 1d8+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

If Swarbrick is trying to free Kaarys, he needs to be in a square that can reach Kaarys, rather than his horse. Blue 6 (Large) is Kaarys's horse, Serry. To reach Kaarys, he'd need to be either one square east of Blue 4, or one square SE of Blue 4.

Or he could take up residence in the space due east of White 4 and due north of White 1. But I don't think he's interested in doing that.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Talanall wrote:

If Swarbrick is trying to free Kaarys, he needs to be in a square that can reach Kaarys, rather than his horse. Blue 6 (Large) is Kaarys's horse, Serry. To reach Kaarys, he'd need to be either one square east of Blue 4, or one square SE of Blue 4.

Or he could take up residence in the space due east of White 4 and due north of White 1. But I don't think he's interested in doing that.

My bad, I thought he was still mounted. Not sure why. Anyway, unless Henrick moves to do something, he's going to one square east of Blue 4. If Henrick moves, he'll reconsider his actions.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

It appears that moving to Vandersrike will require 25' of movement if I were to go as directly as possible. And unfortunately, I don't have a 25' movement rate. I highly recommend the party buy me some boots of striding and springing or some such to get the healing to you faster. Since it would take a double move to get there and he wouldn't be able to heal this round anyway, there's no reason not to bolster Kaarys and then move toward Vandersrike. So after healing Kaarys (converting comprehend languages because he doesn't want to know what these things are saying, anyway), he'll move 1 square east and 2 squares SE (using 20' of movement) and ending on top of the corpse and adjacent to both Swarbrick and Leland.

IC:
Henrik slaps Kaarys on the back muttering a brief incantation. "An axe is a proper weapon, you've got this!" After imbuing his companion with a healing spell he nonchalantly saunters over the corpse of the abomination. "Leland, do you want any attention before I assist Vandersrike. He looks like he's bitten off more than he can chew with that beak of his." It's hard to be sure why he's relatively jolly - it must be because they don't stink to high heaven the way the ghouls did.

Cure Light Wounds
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Is Swarbrick changing his plans as an outcome of this, Darker?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Well, nevermind, he moved. But wait, do I see that white 6 is a straight "CHARGE" away from Swarbrick right now?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well, there are 10 feet of open space clear between him and it. No difficult terrain. So it certainly looks that way.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Yes, his plans will change.

Swarbrick is suddenly inspired with stupidity... I mean bravery and makes a split decision to try to save the daft kobold.

Of course, we all know the dice roller will doom us all, so what's the point really?

I guess we'll try a charge with a nice heroic leap through the air and attempt to sever the tentacles that are throttling the kobold.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 13, 5 = 18.
I rolled 1d8+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Is he attempting to sunder the tentacle?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Can he do that? Then yes.

Pages