Chapter 2: How Do They Rise Up? (OOC)

1656 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Those first two SE squares count as 15 ft. (three squares) of movement, rather than as 10 ft. It'd leave him short a square of his intended destination. Do you want a different path?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Oh, is one of those squares underbrush or something?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Oh man, I forgot that rule!

Due south six times.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The sixth square is undergrowth, and costs two squares to enter. Vandersrike only has one square remaining and therefore cannot enter that square.

If he weren't trying to remain hidden, this wouldn't be a problem. Stealth slows you to half speed if you want to avoid penalties.

Stealth also is pointless in this case; to hide, you must:
1) be unobserved and
2) have cover or concealment.

Once you're hidden, you can remain hidden while moving, but you have to maintain condition #2. Breaks in cover or concealment along your route are permissible, but at a -10 penalty and you can only cross a gap of up to 1 foot per skill rank. In Vandersrike's case, this works out to a 5-ft. square.

Similarly, it's possible to hide if you currently reside in a square that doesn't offer cover or concealment, but are within reach of a suitable square. The distance limitation is the same, as is the -10 penalty.

Vandersrike doesn't satisfy condition #1; the bothrians definitely see him; one just tried to splort him with adhesive. I guess that he technically satisfies condition #2, since he gains cover from being behind other characters at the moment.

If he wants to hide effectively while being observed, he can use Bluff to create a diversion (or I suppose someone else could use Bluff for him, if he and a partner worked out a system of signals to help coordinate such things). That use of the Bluff skill requires a standard action, so on a self-service basis he'd only have a move action to work with, and thus would be able to move 15 feet. I don't think it'd be helpful in his current situation, but if he were adjacent to a square that included cover or undergrowth, he would be able to hide.

If he doesn't care about hiding right now, then he can easily get to either of the destination squares you've asked for.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I should add that you get cover/concealment if a line from the most favorable corner of an observer's square to any corner of yours passes through a square or border that grants cover or concealment.

Bothrians #1-6 have concealment relative to you, and you relative to them. They can still see you, so no hiding from them is possible. Bothrian #7 has "soft" cover derived from a creature relative to you and you relative to it. Again, it can still see you. Bluff can overcome the fact of your being observed.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Alright, we'll change it up. He'll yell the same thing, but he'll move E, SE, E. Then he'll try to clean off Kaarys' horse.

Kobold claws are not very good at doing damage.
I rolled 1d3, the result is 3 = 3.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Vandersrike's claws are the best kobold claws available. Top notch. Big league.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

On his action, Armund will give a whistle of two notes. He moves to the square located four squares west and one square south of his current position (a numbered chart would make describing this easier). He will cast entangle and center the effect on the square directly to the southeast of White 1.

On her action, Sally will respond to Armund's whistled command and heel to him, moving one square south of her current position.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Also, Talanall, I see an accidental oversight in Armund's typical spells prepared and would like to swap speak with animals for summon nature's ally I as a default when Armund refreshes his spells next.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Noted. If you would, please update the default list via PM, just so it's persistent in a way that my memory is not.

Granted, a numbered chart might be easier. I worry about legibility, though, because of the sheer size. It'd be hard to make the grid's number/letter pairs readable when the map is 52 by 52 squares.

Entangle and similar area spells usually center on a grid intersection. Unless you tell me otherwise, I'm going to use the intersection on the SE intersection of the square SE of White #1.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

That works for me. I'll send you that PM momentarily.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Kisasi's turn.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Sorry, I saw that the most recent IC post said it was my turn yesterday and totally spaced.

Kisasi will use a move action to stow his lance on the side of the saddle, then maneuver his mount one square southwest and one square west so it can attack White #1 with a hoof. While it moves, I want to draw my sword as a free action, but I think I'm out of actions at that point for myself, right? Unless the horse used its own move and standard actions to move and attack. If I get to attack with my sword, I definitely will. I'm including the +1 bonus for attacking from higher ground while mounted.

Hoof vs White #1; bastard swords vs White #1 (higher ground)
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 5, 4 = 9.
I rolled 1d4+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 15, 6 = 21.
I rolled 1d10+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Uh. Kisasi and his horse are 70 ft. or so away from White #1. He's Blue #3. The only things marked with #1 that are within plausible reach of him are Armund and Sally, Armund's wolf companion.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I mean, he could opt to ride up to the front of the column, and even end up in melee range of White #7 and make a lance attack against it. It's in range because his horse can double-move, using up its actions, leaving him with enough actions of his own for a regular melee attack with his lance, and then a subsequent action to stow said lance. He'd then be able to draw his sword in the following round.

Pretty much all the other bothrians are on the far side of undergrowth. I'd have to count several different ways to be sure whether he can reach White #6, but the others are behind undergrowth too extensive for him to ride through in a single round. #7 is exposed enough that he probably could engage if he wanted.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oops! My bad. I thought Sally was an enemy.

Kisasi will keep his lance in that case and spur his horse to take a double move south, starting with one space southwest. It's encumbered so that's 80', methinks, which will put one space north of the big tree.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

That gives me a result putting Kisasi and his horse 1 square immediately NE of the big tree that is 5 squares N of White #1. But otherwise that seems practicable.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yeah, forget about White #1. I thought I was looking at an enemy earlier but it was Fixx's animal companion.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay. Let's see if I can get an action for Leland, since I already have one for Armund and Sally.

Speaking of which, Fixxxer, do you want to adjust Armund's aim a little with that entangle spell? As specified, it'll land on Kisasi, too, which I guess Armund wouldn't want. It may even be better just to aim considerably further south, so he can ride up to them for melee while they're busy trying to get loose. I kind of got the impression that Armund's action as given was intended to try to immobilize them because you and he figured that nobody was going to try to go through the undergrowth to get to them. But obviously, Kisasi bucked that expectation.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

That's exactly what happened. Let's land it further south. I *think* that if he places it at the grid intersection of a square due south of White 1, 4 squares from the southern edge of the map, that it will catch Whites 4, 1, 5 and 2 in the area of effect.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

That won't get White 7, but it'll get all six of the others. There are some ways to lay it down where it'll get all of them, but there's an opportunity cost; Kisasi would have a much harder time getting at any of them because more of the area of effect would lie between him and the bothrians. That may not be a big deal; any of creatures that fail their Reflex saves will be stuck in place, with something like a net -4 penalty to ranged attacks. Not harmless or out of the fight, but it's a nuisance.

Those that succeed will either have to go through the underbrush or try to go around. Either way, they'll move at half speed, so it'll still be a massive hindrance, and they might also get a stabbing for their trouble from Kisasi. I think it serves Armund's intentions, since he's trying to immobilize them or at least make sure they can't all dogpile onto you at once.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

That's the primary goal. To get as many as possible while allowing us to cut them down. Armund's happy for us to do that with ranged attacks, he just didn't want to drop an area of effect on an ally without good reason.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland draws his cudgel and shield and shudders. "Ye gods, stay away from their appendages," he says, the memory of Joe's neck crunching still far too fresh in his mind.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Reflex saves

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 3, 1 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 13, 1 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 12, 1 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 15, 1 = 16.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 17, 1 = 18.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Strength, White #3 and #6

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 19, 3 = 22.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 20, 3 = 23.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Henrik will try strength one more time...

Strength
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 5, 2 = 7.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Since this is round two, Kaarys is only slimed for 4 more rounds, yeah? Until a melee begins, he'll continue firing with his bow despite the hindrance.

He's going to move south and west one square. I think that gives him a clear shot at White 7 on the road. If you agree, then his attack is on White 7. If you disagree and he can't fire at W7 because Swarbrick is in the way, then he'll fire at W6, and that's what the concealment roll is for.

Attack roll, dmg, and concealment check for W6.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 16, 3 = 19.
I rolled 1d8, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 85 = 85.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Kaarys is slimed for five more rounds. The counter will move down on White #2's turn. The creature designation in parentheses behind his condition block in the IC thread is there to help me keep track of when I should decrement the remaining time on the effect.

As far as cover/concealment goes, you have a weird situation to deal with. If Kaarys shoots at White #7, then the creature has cover or concealment, depending on which corner of his square I use for the test. One way yields concealment (because it passes through the light undergrowth immediately N from White #6). The other yields cover from Swarbrick's horse.

I think we've established that you'd rather deal with cover than concealment, so if you your priorities include the idea that would rather shoot at #7 but deal with concealment, then I'll just apply your d100 roll versus that creature instead of White #6. But if you're dealing with a slightly different prioritization than I think you are, I can apply your attack vs. White #6.

It's up to you. As a general note for the benefit of other players, squares that contain normal trees do NOT grant cover on a pass-through basis. The rules specify that the +2/+1 cover bonus to AC/Reflex is for creatures that actually inhabit those squares. Massive trees grant cover according to standard rules as shown in the Combat section of the SRD.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

I suppose I'd go for #6 then, since it's closer.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 11, 8 = 19.
I rolled 1d3+5, the result is 1, 5 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 13, 6 = 19.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 19, 7 = 26.
I rolled 1d3+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Escape!

Escape Artist, White #1;
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 12, 11 = 23.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Revenge of the Warhorse (hoof;hoof;bite)
Swarbrick -- Move action (draw dagger) to off-hand, 5' step and attack 7 with longsword.

I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 7, 4 = 11.
I rolled 1d4+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 8, 4 = 12.
I rolled 1d4+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 13, -1 = 12.
I rolled 1d3+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
I rolled 1d8+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Kisasi will urge his mount one square northeast to bring White #7 in range of his lance, then try to poke it. Real hard!

Lance vs White #7 (higher ground bonus)
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 4, 5 = 9.
I rolled 1d8+2, the result is 1, 2 = 3.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

What's Vandersrike doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Does movement of S, S, SE, S, SW flank? That's 30 feet of movement, paying the diagonal toll once, right?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

That's correct. Vandersrike would be flanking with Swarbrick's horse, because it occupies an area that includes the square diagonally opposite his destination point.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Vandersrike will move as described.

"Close the distance! Carve them up!"

He will then lash out with his claw.

Claw attack +7, +2 from Flanking
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 10, 9 = 19.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Are they susceptible to sneak attacks?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

As far as he knows.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Damage then, as far as he (and I) know.

Claw + Sneak Attack
I rolled 1d3+2d6, the result is 2, 26 = 28.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

I don't think that's right, but I don't know what happened. I'll reroll, below.

Damage Shenanigans.
I rolled 1d3, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 2d6, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

The die roller rejects the XdY1 + XdY2 syntax, demanding XdY1; XdY2 instead. I don't know why, exactly, but I think I recall that OpenRPG was the same way, and I know this roller is based on the same code.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

10 damage then.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Did a 19 miss because the thing evaded it, or did a 19 miss because of natural armor, or both or neither?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Probably armor. They don't look especially agile.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

AC is so heavily abstracted that I usually don't bother to worry too much about how I describe it in the IC thread, especially since I find it difficult to show differentiation between misses from failure to defeat natural/manufactured armor vs. failure to penetrate DR.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Fair enough. Does Vandersrike have an IC impression of the quality of his roll? Does he know that he rolled a 10 for a 19 result, or something comparable?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

He knows it was a very near miss.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

On his action, Armund will lose speak with animals in favor of spontaneously casting summon nature's ally I. He will summon an augmented wolf, placing it 2 squares north of White #3 so it can step forward and attack immediately. He'll also give a whistle followed immediately by a sharp click.

Hearing Armund's command, Sally will rush forward to back the summoned wolf up, ideally ending her movement in the square directly to the west of the summoned wolf.

Pages