Chapter 1: Harvest (OOC)

2348 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

There are a few possibilities. He's currently entangled in some kind of webbing, which nets him a -2 penalty to attack rolls, a -4 penalty to Dex, and allows him to move at only half his normal speed. In this case it also inhibits his ability to move beyond a certain distance, because whatever this thing is, it's got hold of the other end of the line and is pulling on it.

He can get free of the entanglement by succeeding on an Escape Artist check (DC 14) or a Strength check (DC 18). Both are standard actions for him; given that he's currently suffering a negative Dex mod and is untrained in Escape Artist, he'll probably go for the Strength check.

Although the Strength check is not strictly a skill check so much as it is a check for something that is skill-like, I am still willing to allow you to attempt to help him via Aid Another. It's not explicitly allowed by the rules in the way that skill checks are, but this is a case where I think that's genuinely an oversight.

Aid Another for that purpose is a DC 10 Strength check, costing a standard action, which I think would give Vandersrike an even chance of doing something constructive. Kakaka would get a +2 circumstance bonus .

Theoretically he also could be cut free, but the mechanics for that are a little spotty because although I know how many hit points and how much hardness the webbing has, I would need to come up with an ad hoc protocol to allow you to deal damage to it. I think one option would be for me to ask for a sunder attempt; although I'm not totally happy with that approach, it's got the attraction of being a relatively simple mechanic that already exists.

If you wanted to get a little more creative you could try pulling on the webbing to see if you can use it to (maybe) yank the thing at the other end down to earth. This would be similar to the Strength check to break free, but you'd be directing your attention towards pulling on the rope instead of bursting the portion of webbing that entangles Kakaka, and it would be an opposed check instead of a static check. If you win, it's possible that your attacker would be pulled down, but it's also possible that it will just let go of the line unless you surprise it. Of course, it can't see you, so there's some basis to hope that it will indeed be surprised. Probably I'd end up giving it a Dex check to react. Again, this is a little bit ad hoc, since it's a reasonable thing for you to want to try, but it's not something that's really well supported by the rules.

If it worked, that would be a good first step to letting the rest of the expedition pile on and gang-stab the thing to death. Getting the critter down to your level could be decisive. Right now, your only other option if you want to hurt the thing is for you to shoot blindly into the air.

In that regard, the line attached to Kakaka is helpful in the sense that I'd be willing to allow you to use an Int check to try to pinpoint the location of the creature, but the fog is thick enough that it is basically the same as if it were invisible. That doesn't prevent you from trying to shoot it, but you have to "aim" at the square it inhabits rather than the creature itself. You'd have a 50% chance to hit. Not ideal, but it's something.

Regardless of what you do, it seems pretty like that if Kakaka remains entangled, the critter upstairs might be able to begin reeling him in. I somewhat doubt that he will enjoy meeting it face-to-face, whatever it is.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Vandersrike, in a somewhat uncharacteristic bout of engagement, sinks his claws into the webbing on Kakaka. He demonstrates his tremendous Kobold strength as he strains against the lines.

"Pull, giant goblin, pull!"

Aid Another, with a +0. He's a very strong Kobold.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 2 = 2.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Not very strong, generally.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Too bad. Maybe Kakaka will get loose under his own power. If not, I guess the thought counted for something.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Henrik puts his arms around the hobgoblins waist to add his weight to the line. Bracing against the ground he prepares to pull with him.

Aid another - Str (check my bonus shortly)

STR
I rolled 1d20, the result is 9 = 9.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I have a plus 2, so success.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I love this even more than I thought I would.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I feel like this may actually get better for you before it's over, Mike.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Hob #3 Strength check

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 12, 3 = 15.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

17 out of the needed 18. That's too bad.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Rasnak helps!

I rolled 1d20-2, the result is 12, -2 = 10.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rasnak can't actually see what the hell's going on over there. The map shows the area around the party as clear, but it isn't really; I've cleaned back the mask that represents the mist because each character CAN see the squares immediately surrounding the one he inhabits.

But in reality, Henrik, Hob #3, Johten, Evrinel and all points farther away than them are invisible to Rasnak. All he can really see is Mbali next to him, and Hob #2 tugging on something or someone.

This wouldn't prevent him from helping, but first he'll need to move until he's standing in an unoccupied space adjacent to Hob #3. There are several to the east of Kakaka, Henrik, and Vandersrike, but I can't tell you whether he'd be willing to walk into the fog to get there.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Damn. I somehow completely missed the post detailing the attack on Kakaka when I decided Joe's last action. Unless things change significantly between now and then, Joe will probably try to grab the line and yank hard enough to dislodge whatever's at he other end. Finally... something he could ostensibly be good at.

Darker

Ok, Rasnak moves between blue 4 & 6 and uses his strength aid another to help.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Haha. Alright.

Webbing vs. Henrik, no Dex bonus to AC; 50% concealment (higher misses)
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 2, 5 = 7.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 61 = 61.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Listen checks for everybody, please.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Wait, hold the phone. Rasnak's sickened and takes a -2 penalty to ability checks. He didn't break Kakaka loose after all.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alright, belay those Listen checks. Your playmate didn't end up moving after all. To clarify the map a little, Hob #3 is directly above Blue #2, which is Evrinel. It looks like they are sharing a space, but they are NOT; rather, Hob #3 is dangling above Evrinel's head.

Vexandi's about to get his mephits onto the map. Where do you want to put them, Spoons?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Damn, damn.... totally forgot about the additional -2. Nothing to do about it now.

Now that he was up close and more personal with the problem. He's going to roll a lore check. Rasnak is thinking some kind of weird giant spider thing.

Lore
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 11, 6 = 17.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Isn't aid another a +2 to the check? That 15 would be a 19 with 2 assists.

Listen

Listen
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Henrik was the only person who succeeded on his Aid Another check. For a minute we all thought Rasnak did as well, but it turned out that he didn't because he's sickened, which imposes a -2 penalty to almost everything.

So instead of trying to get someone else, then moving around when it failed (the reason for the Listen check) the creature still had poor Kakaka. So it yanked him into the air, and now he's screaming his lungs out because he can actually see what's up there fishing for all of you like an old retiree.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Dang, reading the IC thread I thought for a second Rasnak had pulled so hard he split the timeline and created a parallel reality. Normally that stuff is more than a little boring but there is an element of cosmic horror to it, which is cool.

Poor Kakaka. There is no longer any version of himself that survives this, I fear.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well, I don't think he's been harmed yet, despite the screaming. Evrinel hasn't been showered with blood, so it doesn't seem likely to me that Kakaka's had his face eaten yet. Maybe Evrinel or Johten will grab him by the legs and pull him down? Heck, maybe that'll bring the critter down, too, since it's now fully committed to holding up both a good-sized hobgoblin and its own weight. I dunno.

Guess we'll see.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:

Now that he was up close and more personal with the problem. He's going to roll a lore check. Rasnak is thinking some kind of weird giant spider thing.

Rasnak's money is on "misbegotten spawn of an insane wizard's sexual fantasies."

In other words, another bothrian. And yeah, he's pretty sure that its ancestry includes at least some giant spider, because of the webbing. Draklaknak knows what else is in the mix. Probably snail. Or octopus, or something with a similar texture. They almost invariably have some kind of mollusk swirled into their makeup.

Fucking wizards.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Rasnak cries out, "It'sss a ssspider thing. Attack itssss legssss. Sssstrik out for itssss legssss!" He motions all around them in the mists.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'll insert that as part of Rasnak's next turn, but that'll be a little while from now. Let's see what Vexandi does with his mephits, for now. I suppose I also could queue up actions for Leland, Johten, and Vandersrike, if they already know what they're going to do next.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I assume Kakakakakakakakakaka is out of reach?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I think Vandersrike could jump up and reach him.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

He'll try to jump and yank, then.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let's have checks for that, then. Jump, followed by Strength.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

This is not where I am a viking.

JUMP! STRENGTH!
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 10 = 10.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 7 = 7.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Johten will take the action he ought to have taken last turn. He'll drop his halberd, grab onto kakaka with both hands and pull suddenly with all his strength. If he yanks Kakaka away or breaks the filament, that's to the good. If he pulls the accursed mollusk beast down from its perch, that works, too.

This being an odd check, I don't know if any of Johten's feats might offer any bonus to what he's trying, so I'mma roll this vanilla style.

Strength Check
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 20, 4 = 24.
Darker

Talanall wrote:

I'll insert that as part of Rasnak's next turn, but that'll be a little while from now. Let's see what Vexandi does with his mephits, for now. I suppose I also could queue up actions for Leland, Johten, and Vandersrike, if they already know what they're going to do next.


Can't he yell that out of initiative as a free action?
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Can I have them pop into the air above Rasnak and Henrik?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Obsidian_Spoon wrote:

Can I have them pop into the air above Rasnak and Henrik?

Sure.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:
Talanall wrote:

I'll insert that as part of Rasnak's next turn, but that'll be a little while from now. Let's see what Vexandi does with his mephits, for now. I suppose I also could queue up actions for Leland, Johten, and Vandersrike, if they already know what they're going to do next.

Can't he yell that out of initiative as a free action?

As a free action, yes. Out of initiative, no.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 6 = 6.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Leland's up.

Let me have a Diplomacy check for Vexandi when you get a minute, Obsidian Spoon.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland hears the abomination screeching and resolves to step forward and engage it. I should have enough movement to get one south of it on a double move, yes?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Single move is sufficient, really. If you want to get 1 square south of it, though, you'll provoke an Attack of Opportunity. If you stop 1 square south of Vandersrike (Blue 5) you will be in range for melee without risking the AoO (and in fact, you could make an attack this round).

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Back in post #2247 I made a diplo check and got a 17. Want me to make a new one?

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Wow, that is one hell of a creature.

Anyway, can the mephits use their gusts of wind above the party, clearing the fog but not knocking our more diminutive members prone?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Obsidian_Spoon wrote:

Back in post #2247 I made a diplo check and got a 17. Want me to make a new one?

No, that'll do.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Obsidian_Spoon wrote:

Wow, that is one hell of a creature.

Thank you. I figured that it'd be something you would find particularly . . . uh. Dreadful? Wonderful? You have a weird relationship with pulsating flesh-horrors.

Quote:

Anyway, can the mephits use their gusts of wind above the party, clearing the fog but not knocking our more diminutive members prone?

Rasnak and Vandersrike will get Fort saves to negate if they're within the area of effect of a gust of wind. The spell differs from a true storm's severe winds in this respect.

Arranging matters so that you're not taking any chances in this regard is complicated by the fact that you are shrouded in fog. The mephits will have some trouble aiming unless they start out knowing exactly where the kobolds are. This could take some doing in the midst of combat.

The gusts' efficacy in blowing away the fog may be somewhat limited unless their area of effect (a 60 x 5 ft. line originating from the mephit) starts in a square that is free of mist. Otherwise, they're really just blowing the fog around rather than clearing it away.

Undoubtedly, the mephits will find clear air if they go up far enough. How far? Well, Vex has no way of knowing. Sometimes fog is really shallow, just a matter of a few yards; sometimes it extends several thousand feet from the surface. Also, the mephits may have to deal with webbing overhead; this monster was standing on SOMETHING before Johten did his Quasimodo impression and brought it downstairs.

But yes, theoretically the mephits can help with this fog, if conditions are right. Vex has picked about as well for the task as his resources allow.

I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 16, 4 = 20.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

I'll do that. Leland swings his mighty club at the abomination!

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 9, 1 = 10.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 92 = 92.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Before I update for Leland, does Cronono want to specify a new action for Vandersrike? His previous one isn't going to work now.

Might as well get one for Henrik, as well.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I forget the 3.5 rule set, but I think it says that if you move out of a threatened square, for any reason, you still provoke, right? 5e changes that to voluntary movement from a threatened square to an unthreatened square.

If my recollection is correct, Vandersrike will take a circuitous route with his move and end up opposite Evrinel across the Slitherweb. I believe that takes 5 squares of movement that do not provoke if the thing has a 5 foot reach. If it has 10 foot, then c'est la vie.

I believe that should set Vandersrike up for an attack as well. If I'm right about all that, I'll roll to attack.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

3.5/Pathfinder includes an exception to all that for a miscellaneous action called the 5-ft. step. If you otherwise don't move in a round, you can adjust your position by five feet without taking an AoO. It's commonly used along with a full attack routine or with the casting of a spell that takes a full round to complete, but you also could use it to fire a light crossbow, reload, and then step back 5 feet, since the reload consumes your move action and the attack uses your standard.

So really, all he has to do is take a 5-ft step to his SW, ending up directly opposite Evrinel (Blue 2) and adjacent to Leland (Blue 7). This would set him up in a flanking position with Evrinel, granting a +2 bonus to attack and allowing him the potential to deal sneak attack damage.

If Vandersrike wanted to get to the square directly opposite where he currently stands, or to get out of melee altogether, then he could use a full-round action to withdraw, and move up to twice his base speed. This would treat his starting square as unthreatened by any creature he can see. And at that point he could take a circuitous route and get where he wants to be.

Or he could use a Tumble check (DC 15) to move half his base speed through unoccupied for friendly occupied squares without provoking AoO. Separate checks for each enemy threatening somewhere on your path, with a +2 increment to the difficulty for each check. Failure provokes AoO normally from that enemy.

Or he could pass through enemy-occupied squares at DC 25 for the first enemy, +2 for each additional. Separate checks for each such enemy. Failure makes you stop in the nearest unoccupied square along the path leading to that enemy and suffer AoO.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I don't know why, but I thought Vandersrike was under the Mephit Yellow 2. Yes, he'll take a five foot step, then full attack with the +2 flanking bonus.

Claw, Claw, Bite, Tail
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 6, 4 = 10.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 4, 4 = 8.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 5, -1 = 4.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 6, -1 = 5.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

That's some godawful rolling.

Pages