Chapter 1: Harvest (OOC)

2348 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Vandersrike has one and only one reaction to threats.

Init
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 5, 4 = 9.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Fixxxer wrote:

It could be a vengeful spirit in the form of an ever-changing collection of random geometric shapes, interested only in existing outside the window of its estranged father and whispering ominously of all his sins.


*crumples up notes and throws them away*

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Leland

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 5, 6 = 11.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Init.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 14, 1 = 15.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alright, Rasnak is first in initiative. Strictly speaking, he can hide anywhere right now because the fog grants him concealment even with respect to creatures in a square adjacent to him.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Can he ready an action to run away? Or just move away... the action will be to move (preferably behind Someone) out of the perceived threat range of anything perceived as a threat.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

You would need to specify a particular someone to move behind, like "One square north of Mbali's current location," or "One square NE of Horace the Mule."

Or he could move X distance in a particular direction, subject to the limitations imposed by his move speed and the terrain, which unfortunately isn't terribly visible just now. But if you don't mind my saying so, unless he ends his movement adjacent to another character that'd be a good start on getting lost.

Which I don't imagine Rasnak would care for, since being alone means there's nobody else for the monster to eat when it catches you.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

I think standing behind Mbali is a sound tactical decision. Rationalized by the fact she may need to be healed. So, if he see's something threatening, he'll move to the opposite side of her, out of its perceived threat range. Ready to heal. Or run further away.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Fort saves and Listen checks all around, please. Resistance to poisons applies to the save, if you have it.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 7, 7 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 3, 6 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 20, 4 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 13, 4 = 17.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 16, 4 = 20.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 14, 4 = 18.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 20, 4 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 18, 5 = 23.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Side note: I went ahead and moved Rasnak because I realized that by the time he saw something threatening, it'd be literally next to him.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Moving puts Joe and Mbali both between him and the last noises he heard, and preemptively at that. But I can move him back and let him wait, if you'd prefer.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Rasnak has no issues moving out of danger, he will take the move.

Listen;Fort
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 15, 2 = 17.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 8, 3 = 11.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Fort +4 (+2 versus Poison) = +6
Listen +3 (Wis) = +3

Fortitude and Listen
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 18, 6 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 19, 3 = 22.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Stop, fort. save and listen. Vex hopes to live to the end of this mission.

Fort save, listen check.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 11, 3 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 9, 7 = 16.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Also, is there just not any red yet on the map in the IC thread, or am I just missing it because I'm colorblind?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

There was in the previous map. I removed it for reasons that will become clear later.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Ah. In that case, Vex is going to stay right where he is, alert and with spear in hand. I guess I'm readying an action to stab the first hostile thing to enter my stabby space.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Noted. I'll hold off updating for that, until I have an action, Fort save, Listen check, etc., out of Fixxxer for Johten.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Johten will also ready an action to put a beat down on anything hostile that gets close enough to him. Assuming he's not retching and puking his guts out, like he did with the ghast.

Fort Save; Listen Check
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 2, 4 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 3, 1 = 4.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

....fuck you, die roller.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

If it makes you feel better, Johten can still ready that action. He's sickened, but that doesn't make him incapable of acting (nauseated does that). Sickened is a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks, but it doesn't make you unable to act normally.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Leland Fort save and Listen. He's specified an action via other communications channels with me, folks. Hopefully the solar activity or whatever it is that's interfering with his access to the site will be lifted soon.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 16, 5 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 15, 3 = 18.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls for Raksha, Horace the Mule, and Fanyana

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 5, 5 = 10.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 18, 3 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 8, 6 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 6, 6 = 12.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 14, 4 = 18.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 2, 2 = 4.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, it's Vandersrike's turn. I'll also need a Fort save and Listen check for him.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Question - if someone who failed a save gets a bonus to Constitution during the effect would they get another check to resist? If yes, might any other type of 'save bonus' also grant a new check with the new higher modifier? Specifically, I'm wondering about my 'protective ward' that grants a +1 bonus on a Saving Throw.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

No. If you fail a save and then subsequently improve your bonus for the save you just failed, it does not make you un-fail the save. If this were an effect that called for a save every round to see if you remain sickened, then it'd be effective.

But this particular effect only calls for the one save. Those of you who did save against it will find yourselves immune to the stench of this particular monster for the next 24 hours, however. It can't run away and then come back to get a second try.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Fort, Listen

Fort, Listen
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 10, 1 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 19, 5 = 24.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

moving to the biggest guy immediately south

Hide
I rolled 1d20+17, the result is 18, 17 = 35.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

The what?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Grey 3

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Thank you for clarifying.

What's Henrik doing, DDMW?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Bill Paxton's best role ever.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Clever girl." Henrik has also noticed the encirclement. His axe is in hand and he prepares to attack whatever is near. "Perhaps we can frighten them. They obviously know where we are." To demonstrate his plan Henrik begins yelling Dwarven vulgarities. In the shrouded fog it may mark his position but Henrik is the kind of person that would rather they come for him than have to deal with the fear of hearing his companions hauled off invisibly through the fog.

"Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries!"

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rasnak's up.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Rasnak panics and barely keeps himself from fleeing into the fog. For the moment, he's going to wait it out -- delaying until after whatever it is goes.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Attack!

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 14, 5 = 19.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 7 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Vexandi is up. Rasnak's delay can stop whenever Darker would like.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Can I get a run down on available spirits?

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

...Or would I have to make my pact check first?

Darker

Rasnak will continue to delay. He has no idea what to do.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Vex would need a pact check for that.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

I'll go ahead and start a pact, then. See what's available.

Pact check.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 13, 3 = 16.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Vexandi senses the availability of the usual sorts of spirit, as described below.

Boldfaced selections are treated as dominated upon arrival. All others are unwilling to take a combative role without negotiation that will likely take too long for them to contribute meaningfully to the battle. Be aware that elementals in boldface are treated so only for as long as his Elemental Potentate feat is effective. Calling upon a spirit that lacks the Air, Earth, Fire, or Water descriptor invalidates Elemental Potentate.

Fey
nixies: 2 @ 1-HD, 1 @ 3-HD
pixies: 2 @ 1-HD, 1 @ 3-HD
grigs: 4 @ 1/2-HD, 2 @ 1-HD, 1 @ 3-HD

Elementals
water: 8 @ 2-HD
earth: 8 @ 2-HD, 4 @ 4-HD
air: 4 @ 3-HD

Outsiders
water mephit: 2 @ 4-HD
ooze mephit: 2 @ 4-HD
earth mephit: 2 @ 4-HD
air mephit: 2 @ 4-HD
xorn: 3 @ 4-HD
tojanida: 3 @ 4-HD
dretch: 2 @ 3-HD
imp: 2 @ 3-HD
quasit: 2 @ 3-HD
formian soldier: 2 @ 4-HD
lemure: 2 @ 3-HD
formian worker: 2 @ 1-HD

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Well, lets see how many HD Vex can call.

Pact strength check
I rolled 2d6+5, the result is 1, 2, 5 = 8.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

So, since I believe air mephits fall under my Elemental Potato feet, I believe I can call both 4HD ones, yes? If so, that's what I want to do. Once they arrive, and we handle the diplomacy, I want to have them first use their gust of winds in the directions of the two sources of sound, clearing out all the fog. And then they can proceed to attack the enemies.

Diplomacy
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 9, 8 = 17.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay. Johten's up.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Johten will continue with his readied action to stay put and stabby-stabby anything icky that gets too close.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Got an action from Leland elsewhere.

Vandersrike is up, followed by Henrik.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Is there an appropriate reaction for freeing Hob 3?

Pages