Chapter 17: A Small-Town Girl (OOC)

509 posts / 0 new
Last post
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Has Oskav ever heard of giant snakes with human faces?

Knowledge (arcana)
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 8, 13 = 21.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Chuul Spot

Spot
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
HVB

Do we have torches lying around. How many actions to get one?

Spot
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 10, 13 = 23.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Is Avar standing up, or anything like that?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Actually no. He'll secure his shield while in the prone.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

Has Oskav ever heard of giant snakes with human faces?

No. Maybe Baldr's been eating moldy corn and is hallucinating from ergotism, or something. Oskav's never heard of snakes with people faces.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Can Alannah show up Oskav with some knowledge?

Arcana;Just for Bards;An extra d20 for a knowledge skill that might be applicable and needs a bonus.
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 10, 13 = 23.
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 18, 15 = 33.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 20 = 20.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

HVB wrote:

Do we have torches lying around. How many actions to get one?

Amusingly enough, no. Garren has a bullseye lantern, which he normally stores in a handy haversack. I don't imagine he's got lit right now, although it doesn't really beggar the imagination to think that he might have brought it out of storage so he can have it ready to hand if he needs it. Lighting it would require a full-round action with flint and steel, or a standard action with a tindertwig (Garren doesn't have one of those, though).

He also has an everburning torch, which I'm sure he's stowed in his handy haversack for no other reason than to avoid having extraneous lights burning while people are trying to sleep.

He (and couple of other people) also has spells available that can make light, and Avar has other means to create light.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, Kya sees the snake creatures. Nice Spot check.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:

Can Alannah show up Oskav with some knowledge?

Alannah has heard plenty of legends about snake-people. Nagas are feared and reviled in the Aureshan Empire and its sibling cultures, often showing up as bringers of strife, violent death, betrayal, etc. The rhetoric and metaphor often get a bit overwrought, so Alannah's not really sure if they're literally poisonous, or just untrustworthy. And they have a reputation for being extremely good at magic, and extremely territorial.

But yeah, she's definitely heard of things like this. They show up in the kinds of stories you tell to frighten children.

Other cultures don't give them quite the bad rap that Aureshans, Port Hopers, and Harans usually do. Mereflow Halflings are known to revere snakes in general, and there's a whole genre of folk tale having to do with consulting them for advice, like they're oracles, or asking them for magical assistance. Alannah considers it likely that these stories are really about nagas.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

Kya scans her character sheet and sees that she comes equipped with two torches, but no crowbar...
----------

Kya rises from prone but remains crouched low, ready to spring.

"Its two basilisks, no, wait, Gorgons!" is what she informs everyone upon catching sight of the creatures.

She hurries to guard Alannah.

----
Rise and move to stand at Alannah's immediate right, unarmed.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Kya could light a torch off of the campfire pretty readily, if she wished. Getting one out of her backpack would require a move action that would provoke attacks of opportunity.

Lighting one from the campfire would require a move action (or a standard action). Lighting one from a flint and steel is a full-round action.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

Gotcha, I'll stick with get up and move to try to discourage physical attacks against prone bard for now

Darker

[free action] Alannah, barely sitting up and blinking up at the young monk, groggily cuts off Kya's hyper-shotgun attempt to identify their opponents, "Human headed snakes? They are nagas."

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

"You! In the darkness." Chuul points with his guisarme. "We want no violence. Come join our fire or be on your way!"

While he's hoping for a diplomatic outcome, Chuul will stay alert, and ready an action to attack anything that gets within range of a partial charge and shows obviously hostile intent.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Spot +9

Kya knows about the torch since she went through the bag.

Garren stands up, his bow and an arrow coming almost instantly to hand.

I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 8, 9 = 17.
HVB

Quote:
Kya knows about the torch since she went through the bag.

Yeah she does, plus she has her two which she would keep one near the fire in case of emergency. Just wanted to clarify options based on number of actions.

Where does Garren keep the bag usually when he's asleep?

Darker

Alannah tries to peer through the darkness to see who speaks, "Maybe guardian nagas? There's stories of nagas that guard places of old magic. I don't think they mean us harm. Unless we stay." She casually gets to her feet, curious to see what the others decide to do.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Roughly how many hours until it'll be light enough for the horses to walk without undue risk of stepping in a hole?

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Garren uses the haversack as a pillow.

HVB

Does this still qualify as a combat or does someone have to force initiative again? Mainly are we going to be free to talk

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Fixxxer wrote:

Roughly how many hours until it'll be light enough for the horses to walk without undue risk of stepping in a hole?

Zero. In Character, you are currently in the final night of the full moon, and the weather is clear. Your horses, like most creatures with the Animal type, have low-light vision. And really, with the exception of conditions that are so dark as to require darkvision to avoid being effectively blind (example: a new moon or crescent moon or a heavily overcast or rainy night), low-light vision usually is adequate to allow basic activities at night because there are no movement penalties associated with dim lighting.

Traveling would be really inconvenient for Kya, Garren, and Alannah because they're humans and can't see very well in the dark, and Avar would have to walk because his trusty steed, Zeelar, is off duty until sometime shortly after dawn (paladin mounts stick around for 2 hours per paladin level each day). But even in the humans' cases, the moonlight is sufficient to count as shadowy illumination.

And of course all the usual stuff about interrupted sleep applies to Oskav and Alannah, but I guess that ship has sailed anyway.

As a point of information, the moon is in the sky for ~12 hours out of every 24 IRL. Its period is such that when the moon is new, it rises around dawn and sets around sunset, and is overhead around noon, and is invisible the whole time because of the sun's glare; conversely, during a full moon IRL it rises around sunset and sets at dawn, and is overhead at around midnight. Exactly where its rise/set times fall with relation to the sun's position varies seasonally, and is informed by the observer's latitude.

Luna's synodic period (full moon to full moon) is 29.5 days. The moon of Tolrea, Derena, has a period of exactly 32 days. But the relative difference isn't actually that large, and in general any rules of thumb you may know concerning the behavior of Luna IRL are accurate to Tolrea/Derena. The difference is only about 5 minutes, at least according to Arkenian, who is an actual rocket scientist and was kind enough to do some rough calculations for me on this question.

It would get much more complicated if you were interested in predicting eclipses, but if all you care about is when the moon is above the horizon, you can eyeball it pretty easily.

See https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/calendar; there is a tab in the calendar there with a "save/restore" option. Paste the following, and you will have a copy of the Tolrea calendar for 973 IR, complete with lunar phase progression:

{"year_len":384,"events":0,"n_months":12,"months":["Immeril (Winter)","Sim (Winter)","Grim (Winter)","Aren (Spring)","Imogen (Spring)","Verdil (Spring)","Cabil (Summer)","Wilt (Summer)","Urthan (Summer)","Athol (Autumn)","Germ (Autumn)","Variel (Autumn)"],"month_len":{"Immeril (Winter)":32,"Sim (Winter)":32,"Grim (Winter)":32,"Aren (Spring)":32,"Imogen (Spring)":32,"Verdil (Spring)":32,"Cabil (Summer)":32,"Wilt (Summer)":32,"Urthan (Summer)":32,"Athol (Autumn)":32,"Germ (Autumn)":32,"Variel (Autumn)":32},"week_len":8,"weekdays":["-","-","-","-","-","-","-","-"],"n_moons":1,"moons":["Derena"],"lunar_cyc":{"Derena":30},"lunar_shf":{"Derena":20},"year":973,"first_day":0,"notes":{}}

Since you guys are hunting a werewolf, you probably want to keep track of this stuff.

Remember, the simple rule of thumb is that the moon is directly overhead at midnight when it's full, and at noon when it's new.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

HVB wrote:

Does this still qualify as a combat or does someone have to force initiative again? Mainly are we going to be free to talk

If we make it all the way through to the nagas' turn again without anyone doing violence or doing stuff that's clearly a prelude to violence, then I'll probably call off the initiative count and let you guys do talky stuff. That's my usual habit.

You guys can talk outside of the initiative order as an immediate action (a free action that doesn't respect init, but is valid only once per round) so long as you keep it below about 25 words. That is technically a house rule; short utterances in the Core Rules are a free action that doesn't respect initiative, but that's problematic in several respects, especially if you're dealing with a mid to high level bard.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Alannah doesn't think they need to go far, just far away enough not to be "in" the ruins.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

That's certainly a reasonable theory about what these creatures want.

I mean, it's theoretically possible that these creatures massacred the entire halfling caravan that you've been following, but there's no sign that anyone has camped here recently, and there are no signs of a struggle anywhere immediately nearby. Indeed, evidence including the remains of a fire and the presence of a probably-reliable supply of water suggests that the halflings must have camped at the last site instead, and then moved on to pass through here without stopping after that.

So probably these nagas either are really good at covering up their murders, or they just want people to avoid messing with these ruins and don't care to meddle with strangers beyond that.

Of course, who knows what these ruins are for? If the nagas are guarding them, it must be pretty interesting!

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

Kya wants to ask these nags if they know how to make these ruins actually transport people to the spirit world.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Pretty sure that's the kind of stuff they're trying to dissuade us from investigating, for our benefit and possibly the benefit of everyone else.

HVB

But it's worth a shot...

Kya is trying to pay attention to the full moon and werewolves

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar is about to jam this encounter up. No way is his golden ass is going to hoof it like some commoner or some crazy strong monk girl.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

My man! I'm already not getting my 8 hours of sleep. Might as well blow my wad here all over these nagas. I got spells for days.

HVB

Kya was hoping you guys aren't gonna let a couple of snake demons tell you what to do like they own the camp.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oskav finishes casting his enlarge person spell with a standard action, targeting Chuul, then moves 2 squares northwest with his move action.

He calls out, "Are you warning us or threatening us? If you lay no claim to this place, we will fight to hold our ground."

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar stands up gingerly, using his sword for help in the process. Standing tall the paladin calls out deeply, firmly, "Yes, please come by the light to explain! I need more information as I cannot leave just yet."

The paladin stands easily, left hand casually resting on the hilt of his longsword.

Darker

"Told you," Alannah sighs.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Immediate Action:

"Please clarify", Avar calls out.

"Is it acceptable to disperse two hundred feet away from here?"

The tone is conversational. With such a vague instruction, and so much wide open land, Avar just wants clarification.

HVB

"Disssperssse," Kya repeats in a whisper as she searches for the meaning.
"Are nagas evil snake demons?" She asks Alannah. "I bet if you look at them they'll turn you into stone or make you do whatever they say."

She waits to see what Chuul does since Alannah said he is the leader, but she will draw her torch and move to the campfire to light it
---------

Move backwards 10 ft to light torch in the fire. Stay or go she will need it...

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Chuul's gonna give this one more shot.

"Dammit, no!" says Chuul. "All we want is to wait out the dawn and be on our way. If this is your land, whatever it is you are overseeing, we want no part of it. We do not want to fight. Please do not force us."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'll be traveling and unable to update the game until Monday of this coming week. Sorry for the delay.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

Are we waiting for ddmw or can we skip to the nagas to see if we are gonna get killed. Maybe the turn order is embedded to deep in the post...

Talanall
Talanall's picture

We're waiting on @deadDMwalking. I hope he's okay.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Sorry - I didn't realize it was me.

Garren casts 'light'. Then he begins gathering up his stuff.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Avar and Garren both understand the words that aren't in common to be from Celestial. The first, נודד, is "wanderer," which sometimes is used by native speakers of the language (who usually aren't permanent residents of the mortal world) to mean the earth. The nagas' use of that kind of vocabulary is strange, to say the least.

The second group of words, מייל אחד is much easier. It's a unit of distance that works out to a little less than ¾ mile.

The stuff about the movement of the moon is probably meant to indicate the passage of time. Garren has absolutely no trouble with this one, given his personal history—the moon proceeds roughly its own perceived diameter across the sky for every hour that passes. Evidently, the nagas are giving you an hour to clear off to at least ¾ of a mile. Or they will kill you.

Or try, anyway.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Never knew practitioners of Judaism spoke celestial. Does this mean Avar is Jewish?

Alannah answers Kya, "Nagas are not demons nor are they all evil. These are guardians, they are only here to safeguard this site and its mysteries." Figuring that they'll either be soon fighting or packing up, she wills light to illuminate the campsite around her.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It means I prefer Latinate writing and grammar for Infernal, mostly. I'll leave you to guess who gets Greek.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, there are no HTML codes for Enochian. I looked.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I 100% believe that you did.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oskav doesn't really appreciate the way these guys are talking to us but if Chuul wants to stand down, he will back his play. He isn't particularly interested in collecting rubbings or sketches of any of the inscriptions here, or studying the place further in any great detail; he knows that nobody here knows enough about this stuff to unravel any profound mysteries while we're camping out tonight. But it's more the WAY the Nagas said to leave.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I don't think anyone really likes to be told to go away or die, especially if it's the middle of the night and he's been woken out of a sound sleep. It's a pretty crappy way to wake up, even if it's preferable to being attacked without warning.

Anyway, what's Oskav's action going to be? Delay until after Chuul makes a final decision about whether this is going to end in bloodshed?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Not just delay until Chuul — Avar still has time to work his diplomatic skill and let the nagas know they should accept annexation of themselves and their sacred site by the empire and convert to the worship of Agon.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I hoped that would go without saying. If Avar manages to get the donkey up the minaret before Chuul speaks up, then that's its own thing.

The nagas probably are salty already because he started with the lawyer-talk about exactly how far to disperse. Or maybe not. Who knows what pisses off a naga, really? They're aberrations, just like beholders and mind flayers (neither of which Tolrea has, because those are Product Identity belonging to Wizards of the Coast).

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages