Chapter 17: A Small-Town Girl (OOC)

509 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Apparently not.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Alannah cast detect magic and she approaches.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar will try knowledge local, planes and religion as well. He'll also detect evil because he can.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 6, 5 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 20, 2 = 22.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 1, 6 = 7.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Maybe that planes roll gets us something?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Avar has seen edifices like this stone circle before, in the Empire. Sometimes there are oddities in the countryside that plays host to a megalithic structure of this kind. Things that shouldn't be, but still are. They're hunted down, usually.

But then again, most of these megaliths are quiescent and apparently harmless for years and years at a time, and it's not clear to Avar—or to any of the learned experts that schooled him about what to look for when the walls of reality begin to crumble—what causes these things to awaken or go to sleep again.

The Church of Agon certainly doesn't like the idea of random doorways, or raw spots in reality, or whatever it is that is happening, letting in creatures that don't belong to the mortal world.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alannah senses no magical auras associated with any of these megaliths.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

When Oskav gets within 30' or so of the circle, he will use detect magic himself. We're actually pretty far away, currently.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yeah, the map is actually huge. It just looks smaller because most of the Bastards are on Large mounts.

As a side note, I have been dispensing with skill checks for Kya because we're not in combat, and her Climb modifier is +13 or something crazy like that. The Climb DC for any of the trees on this map is only 15, so she's incapable of failing the check badly enough for it to make her fall. And in turn, that means she can take 10 on the check.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oskav doesn't really know anything about strange runes or whatever, but he will definitely take a closer look. He's not quite ready to dismount and touch the stones but we're getting there.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I'm still paying attention. Chuul just doesn't have any interest in what's going on beyond waiting to see if A&O say it's safe.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar will examine. Please let me know what applicable rolls are needed, if any, to read the runes.

HVB

I vote they sleep inside the circle, cast comprehend languages in the morning if they wake up, solve one of life's biggest mysteries with a level 1 spell, and move on :/

Talanall
Talanall's picture

We have an updated map in the IC thread. The only difference from before is that it's shaded everywhere that isn't illuminated by your campfire. The area outside of the firelight is shaded but not opaque because the full moon casts shadowy illumination over the entire landscape. If you have low-light vision, you can perceive the entire area as if in normal, bright light. If you have darkvision, you can see normally within the range of your darkvision. If you have neither, everything that isn't in the firelight has at least a 20% miss chance due to concealment.

What'll be your watch schedule tonight?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

Maybe the same watch as before, Garren, Chuul x2, Avar, Kya?

Darker

Might as well keep a "standard" watch schedule if no one objects and stick to it so we don't have to have the conversation every time. I agree with HVB.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay.

In that case, I'd like to have a brief statement from each person who's going to take on guard duty, explaining how he or she intends to go about keeping guard. It could be anything from walking a patrol, to sitting awake near the fire, to climbing a tree. Totally up to you.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar will conduct a short patrol throughout his watch. He will pause intermittently and walk in no perceptable pattern.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Chuul spends his watch in a combination of walking perimeter and plopping down for a time. Maybe he'll take up whittling or something.

HVB

On her watch Kya packs away her bedding, alternates her time between watching&listening from the highest points in the area around the camp (walls, trees, etc) and walking the perimeter of the camp to check for trouble and stretch her legs.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Garren primarily stands watch near the horses, knowing that their movement will hide him from anyone planning on sneaking up on his companions. He will take a perimeter patrol approximately every ten minutes if he doesn't see signs of trouble.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The red area on the map is a general indicator of where Chuul saw movement.

Chuul can decide how to play this: raise the alarm, continue what he's doing like nothing happened, or something else.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

I'm guessing typo but Sir Fluffernutter may be one of the black dots and not Zeelar. I may of missed it but I dont see a black 2.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Negligent reuse of old map key material on my part. Zeelar is back in whatever extradimensional stable he lives in when Avar hasn't summoned him. Black 3 is Sir Fluffernutter; Black 4 is Celeste.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Chuul's gonna wake everyone up with the dulcet baritone of his voice raising an alarm.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Another, minor, quibble. There is no way in the Tolrea universe that Avar is sleeping that close to Alannah. Let the dwarf and the monk sleep there!

HVB

He can switch bedrolls with Oskav and put up a pillow fort...

Darker

'Cept he has no pillows!

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

You don't know what Oskav keeps under his beard.

Do we need to make Listen checks to hear Chuul during our slumber?

Listen (Alertness feat), Baldr's Listen
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 7, 4 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 14, 5 = 19.
Darker

Avar needs to make a saving throw vs. cooties.

Darker

Avar needs to make a saving throw vs. cooties.

Listen Maybe and Init Maybe
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
HVB

If we need listen here is a roll

I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 7, 11 = 18.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Listen +9
Initiative +1
Resist Cooties +8

Listen/Init/Who has the cooties?
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 3, 9 = 12.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 10, 1 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 2, 8 = 10.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

I don't really think Listen checks are necessary, but you folks may as well roll for initiative if you haven't already. Chuul's going to participate in a surprise round (a single standard action or move action, in addition to whatever shouting he's going to do as part of raising the alarm).

The rest of you will enter the initiative count during the first normal round of this encounter. You'll start prone, because you're sleeping. Standing up is a move action that provokes AoO.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Divine health and good, clean, living from his time in the Empire ensures Avar stays Cootie free.

But he is slow.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 19, 1 = 20.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Rollin'

Improved Initiative
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 17, 4 = 21.
HVB

All they need is their cootie shots and they're good to go.

This is gonna hurt...

Ini
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 7, 6 = 13.
HVB

I think we will need more light

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Orcs are immune to cooties. They get the circle-circle-dot-dot at birth.

Initiative
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 5, 6 = 11.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Sorry for the delay, folks. Real life stuff.

Having established that Chuul is going to raise the alarm by shouting (a free action), what is he going to do with his standard (or move) action during this surprise round? He rolled better on initiative than your adversaries.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

What's the blue(?) rectangle 10ft. left of Kya?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Chuul's tent. He's fancy.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

He needs it for plausible deniability. When he says, "I'm pitching a tent over here, can you come help me out with it" it sounds much more innocent if he actually has a tent in his possession. Either way, don't fall for it.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Chuul will spend the surprise round moving back near his companions as he yells, making sure they're up. He'll end his movement somewhere near Oskav's current position.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Please make Spot checks, folks.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, please keep in mind that you're starting from prone because you were asleep up to this point.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Baldr will try to get up into the air. Oskav will stand with his move action and begin casting enlarge person with his standard action. If Chuul could stay within 40' of me until I take my next turn that would be great; otherwise I'm casting it on Alannah, because it's funny to me to think of her stomping around with bigass feet and talking even louder than usual.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Forgot my Spot check. I'll assume I'm making it as soon as Oskav and Baldr woke up so he still benefits from the Alertness feat due to the familiar's proximity.

Spot (Alertness), Baldr's Spot
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 1, 4 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 4, 7 = 11.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well, fortunately Baldr doesn't really need Spot. Given that he is basically making a double-move and is gaining altitude as fast as he's physically capable of doing, he's already 40 feet up. And he's got low-light vision.

So he really can see your visitors just fine.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Alannah Spot

I rolled 1d20, the result is 9 = 9.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar snaps awake at the alarm. Quickly shaking away dreams of brokering land deals and signing treaties, the paladin straightens his helm and searches the dark for snake people.

Spot
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 14, 4 = 18.

Pages