Chapter 17: A Small-Town Girl (OOC)

487 posts / 0 new
Last post
Darker

Don't bring your sensable logic into Alannah's plans.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Is it a vote? I'll defer to Chuul's choice, but I'm for finding Eulan. Beds aren't a high priority for me.

Darker

I think its pretty much just head out toward Eulan. Alannah isn't going to take up that fight, she's just going to suggest they could go into Golden Sheaves to check up on things in the hope the others will think its a good idea.

HVB

I think everyone is ok with finding eulan, the only thing in question was whether to check on golden sheaves, and since finding eulan isnt ultra time sensitive I agree we should check golden sheaves rather than possibly regret not checking as these things tend to go.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

If it's out of our way, I question why Golden Sheaves needs to be checked on. We were just there a couple of weeks ago and we'd likely have heard some kind of rumor while we were in the city if a dragon had suddenly burned it down.

Darker

It depends on how much is "out of our way"... from the map, I'd say its a half a day north when we should be heading north eastish, so at most we'd be a day behind on the quest to find Eulan.

HVB

Does the halfling guard in Golden Sheaves know Eulan to anyone's knowledge.

I'm guessing it would only be a day or 1.5 days out of the way which isn't much considering Eulan may already be dead anyway. Plus they have world famous beer, gnomes who may have info about the north, and a temple to Derena for more potential info which are Kya's three main reasons for wanting to go. Kya will side with Alannah and call it a "slight detour"

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Darker wrote:

It depends on how much is "out of our way"... from the map, I'd say its a half a day north when we should be heading north eastish, so at most we'd be a day behind on the quest to find Eulan.

Talanall, confirm/deny?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

See

Talanall wrote:

Clan Barnstead's slice of the plains lies east by northeast from Winterhome.

and

Talanall wrote:

If you went due east from Golden Sheaves, then you could hit the same general area, but you first would spend most of a day heading away from there to get to Golden Sheaves from Winterhome. It's not in any sense on your way. Going to Golden Sheaves will cost you time, probably a full day when all's said and done.

Golden Sheaves is about 30 miles away from Winterhome, as the road travels. It lies to the NW (see the map). Assuming no obstructions or impediments greet you on the road, it is a journey of approximately six hours, based on your party's best overland speed. You could maybe do it in five, if you were prepared to make the horses' and Kya's lives suck a bit.

But unless the Bastards are planning to turn around and come back immediately on fresh horses, I think it fair to say that you'll lose the entire day (at a minimum) to whatever stuff you end up doing in Golden Sheaves. And likewise, when (if) you come back this way to look for Eulan, I think it's virtually certain that if you stop at the Barnsley Lodge, you will find yourselves losing more than just the 5-6 hours it would take to get there.

EbN is equivalent to a compass bearing ~80 degrees. NW is equivalent to a compass bearing of ~315 degrees. There's about a 125 degree difference between the two directions, so visiting one of these two destinations will unavoidably take you farther away from the other.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Alannah is bad at maps. She still insists its on the way.

HVB

It's TOTALLY on the way!!! By Kya's math we get there by lunchtime if we leave here right after breakfast, Sleep over, and be completely back on track by the next lunchtime if we skip dessert.

(Going to take my citizenship interview now, if I don't come back please take care of Kya, she is terrible at math)

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Good luck!

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Good luck on your interview/congratulations! (Depending on when you read this).

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Okay - we're heading toward Eulan directly. Since Alannah is bad with maps, we'll let Oskav explain how this it totally heading toward Golden Sheaves... :)

There are enough mercenaries at Golden Sheaves, and there is a substantial cost per day, so spending a day to check in doesn't seem necessary or wise.

Darker

deadDMwalking wrote:

Okay - we're heading toward Eulan directly. Since Alannah is bad with maps, we'll let Oskav explain how this it totally heading toward Golden Sheaves... :)

There are enough mercenaries at Golden Sheaves, and there is a substantial cost per day, so spending a day to check in doesn't seem necessary or wise.


Sounds like a plan. Alannah thinks this doesn't look like the way to Golden Sheaves, but maybe its a short cut.
HVB

Ok since nobody actually wants to go to golden sheaves and Alannah has no sense of direction, assuming we wake up in the morning, kya is ok with skipping the detour too.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

If you'd all be so kind, please go ahead and roll Spot checks.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 11, 7 = 18.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

Hope I did this correctly, haven't tried dice here yet

Spot
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 13, 13 = 26.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Looks great to me.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Spot

I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 4, 4 = 8.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Rolls

Spot
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 15, 3 = 18.
Darker

I see nothing

I rolled 1d20, the result is 17 = 17.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'm usually pretty alert. But did I have my coffee?

Spot
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 5, 9 = 14.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Rollin'

Oskav's Spot (Wis, Alertness), Baldr's Spot
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 9, 4 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 20, 7 = 27.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

"Wait... What? I don't think they do that."

Knowledge Arcane, Bardic Knowledge

I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 1, 12 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 12, 15 = 27.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I guess we don't really know what it is yet but Arcana is probably the only relevant skill Oskav has so he will roll it, too.

Knowledge (arcana)
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 4, 13 = 17.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Maybe it's three chimerae in a trenchcoat!

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alannah is completely stumped. She thinks maybe she's heard about certain demons and angels that have multiple sets of wings, but usually there are more than just two sets of wings for that order of being. She feels like sages and poets usually don't bother to wax eloquent about wings, other than in terms of whether a being has them and how ugly or pretty they are, unless it has at least three sets.

And in any case, most of those sorts of beings can teleport wherever they like, so it's not really clear to Alannah why something of that nature would opt to fly over at a leisurely pace to inspect a party of travelers, or indeed why such a being would be flying high above a vast wilderness in the first place.

Oskav isn't doing much better, with the exception that he is pretty sure that whatever is up there, it is neither a chimera nor a cockatrice. Nor, for that matter, does he see any reason to believe that it is a dragonne, dragon, giant eagle or owl, griffon, hippogriff, lammasu, manticore, pegasus, sphinx, spider eater, stirge, wyvern or yrthak.

He supposes that someone could possibly have fashioned a construct that would be capable of flight and possess four wings, but he's never heard of anything like that. So if that's what it is, it would be unique or nearly so.

He certainly can't rule it out, but for the same reasons that Alannah has trouble explaining what an obscure type of angel or fiend might be doing out here, Oskav has trouble explaining why someone would develop and create an oddball construct and then send it flying over the middle of nowhere.

Anyway. Whatever it is, Alannah and Oskav are pretty sure that it's not natural, and also that it's not manufactured.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

On the off chance it IS something like an angel or demon.

Knowledge (Planes)

I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 14, 11 = 25.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alannah thinks it's probably an arrowhawk. So no, not a demon or angel. It's a spirit of the air. Like an angel or fiend, it's a corporeal spirit (that is, its body and soul are all of a piece). They're not native to the mortal world, but she's not really prepared to guess whether it wandered into this world on its own or was called. Either one is plausible.

If she's right, then this one is just a baby. They're extremely maneuverable fliers, and Alannah knows that they're territorial and pretty much always hungry. Despite being, more or less, appetites with wings and a bad attitude, they're not dumb brutes. You can speak to them in Auran, although they're hardly talkative. The hunger thing is concerning, in the sense that it may be aggressive because it probably wants something to eat.

This said, arrowhawks never land, even to sleep. So it follows that they aren't big on melee engagements, especially against earthbound foes. If it comes in to attack, Alannah expects that it'll circle about 15-20 yards away and hurl lightning bolts at whatever it thinks looks tastiest.

Not very surprisingly, arrowhawks are immune to lightning strikes. They're storm spirits, of a sort. They're resistant, but not immune, to cold and heat. Again, not really a surprise.

This one is alone and is not very old, so Alannah suspects that the Bastards will be able to drive it off without killing it, if they so desire. It'd be nice if she could actually get it to talk, because they're (reputedly) learned in planar lore. But she'd have to pretty much feed it continuously to get it to sit still and not try to eat her instead, and she probably doesn't have enough animal protein to occupy it for long.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Is the creature in our line of direction of where we are going? Off to the side? Avar will continue to ride in the same direction he was previously going. If it wasnt clear he isnt changing course just to get a closer look of the animal.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

You guys are headed slightly north of east. The creature is to your northeast at quite a high altitude, somewhat less than a thousand feet away. At this point, I think everyone has had enough time to take 20 on the Spot check, and is aware of its general location. Your planned direction of travel will bring you closer, up to a point.

It's evident that the creature is indeed closing in on your position. Kya is certain that not only is the arrowhawk visibly closer to you than it was when she first noticed it, but that it's closer than can be accounted for by the party's continued movement.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Roll for initiative, please.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 4, 5 = 9.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Time to take Bella to the ball.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 18, 1 = 19.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
Darker

Too bad the prom queen was your sister.

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 20, 2 = 22.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

You guys are super weird.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

:)

Ini: dex+feat
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 17, 6 = 23.
HVB

Can someone give Kya a boost so she can punch it...

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

You think anybody thinks I'm a failure because I go home to Starla at night? Forget about it!

Init
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 19, 6 = 25.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious.

Initiative
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 7, 4 = 11.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Talanall wrote:

You guys are super weird.

Mine's a Sean Connery quote from the movie The Rock. With Nicholas Cage playing opposite him. So this exchange really seemed weird, and only moreseo over time:

Mason: [Gives Goodspeed a handgun] Are you sure you're ready for this? [walks up staircase]
Goodspeed: I'll do my best.
Mason: [stops and motions back to Goodspeed] Your best? Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen!
Goodspeed: Carla was the prom queen.
Mason: [faintly impressed] Really?
Goodspeed: [Cocks his gun] Yeah!

Nicholas Cage is described as a 'mild-mannered chemist'. That movie is awesome in all kinds of weird ways.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Apparently my work blocks 'edit'. So I'll add my very favorite part of the movie:

Goodspeed: [Holding VX Poison Nerve Gas] Do you know how this shit works?
Capt. Darrow: [Holding his knife] Do you know how this shit works?! (flashes his knife) Come on, come on, I don't need the gun. I'll put it down, come on. Let's play! Come on, come on!
Goodspeed: Listen, I think we got off on the wrong foot. Stan Goodspeed, FBI. Uh, let's talk music. Do you like the Elton John song "Rocket Man"?
Capt. Darrow: I don't like soft-ass shit!
Goodspeed: Oh, oh you don't, ok. Well, I only ask because it's you. You're the rocket man! [he fires the rocket out the window, taking Darrow with it] How do you like how that shit works?!

HA! Classic!

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

"Dammit." Chuul climbs down from Sir Fluffernutter, taking his massive longbow with him as he does so. He plants his feet in an archer's stance and stares toward the oncoming creature, gauging distance and mentally willing it to just leave. "Do not," he mumbles, almost under his breath.

Darker

Alannah uses her turn to dismount, not wanting to be stuck on a mount running for its life if the arrowhawk decides to zap some lightning her way. If she has an action left, she uses it to declar Avar an idiot over his "Maybe it just wants to talk" arguement.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

You know that Alannah's new horse is war trained, right? That was the whole point of getting a new mount.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Darker wrote:

If she has an action left, she uses it to declar Avar an idiot over his "Maybe it just wants to talk" arguement.


Probably not the best declaration since, you know, Avar never said he was going to talk, or even try to talk, with the creature. He only offered that the group should let it attack first before taking the nuclear option first.

But, hey, Alannah can fail to make her point. Suits Avar just fine.

HVB

So for combat we post everything in OOC?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes. The overwhelming majority of the time, I just echo it over in the IC thread, but it keeps things tidy if we have adjudication to do.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Talanall wrote:

You know that Alannah's new horse is war trained, right? That was the whole point of getting a new mount.


Alannah forgot about this. Also, Alannah sees her on reality on what Avar said. Sometimes the best bitch move is to be totally illogical and disregard what actually happened.

Pages