Chapter 15: The Ties That Bind (OOC)

149 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture
Chapter 15: The Ties That Bind (OOC)

Darker

Oh shit Avar, RUN!

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

"Uh...no. I am Sir Rava. Another Imperial paladin of Agon. Don't worry about the confusion...happens all the time. By the way, just how many aasimar paladins of Agon are currently situated in Port Hope?"

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I'd like to see Alannah's brother try to physically drag her anywhere she doesn't want to go. :D

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Even if it's all lies, Avar will listen to every word this guys speaks.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I get the impression that Avar's going to have to tickle every detail out of him, that this guy is going to offer nothing freely.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

You guys don't expect Alannah's snot-nosed little brother to be helpful and unselfish, do you?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Possible to diplomacy this guy? Maybe turn him to just selfish and sassy?

I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 7, 9 = 16.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Does this roller roll above 10? Also, Chuul walking in would totally make this conversation complete.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Let's try Sense Motive likely FML.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 19, 5 = 24.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Avar suspects that Boromil really is primarily interested in finding his sister and talking to her for the usual sibling reasons—catching up, seeing that she's safe, happy, etc. He's probably talking to Avar because he's bored and curious, and also because, despite Boromil's somewhat blasé attitude about what happened at court, he wants to take her companions' measure in case they are more of a danger to her than a help. He doesn't think it's flattering his own importance to theorize that Boromil is especially interested in him for that reason.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Where is the rest of the party (including Alannah) right now? She had planned to go back to their inn to discuss what to do next now that they know more about the necklace and Cole's motivations... now regretting that plan.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It's late morning. I advanced a day from your last post for Alannah in the Ch. 14 IC thread.

Avar just came back from getting into contact with Markan. I picked on him because I knew for sure where he'd been and what he'd been doing.

I presume that Alannah (as Avar suggested to Boromil) is out doing research. You still have questions that you'd been planning to revisit with the aid of better libraries. Depending on how long Alannah takes on any given check, she may be done with a question and on her way back to the inn to eat and rest a bit.

Oskav is still transcribing spells. Per Mike's description of how he's approaching this task, he's stopping only to eat, eliminate waste, and snatch the bare minimum of sleep he needs to allow him to proceed. Theoretically he could show up, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's been eating street food instead of wasting time coming back to the inn, and the only time you see him is late at night or just before dawn.

It may be that Chuul and Garren are off settling the purchase of Sir Fluffernutter and picking up Chuul's newly-silvered glaive. Again, they probably will be back anytime, especially if they plan to stable him nearby and/or grab a bite to eat.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Oh good, then there's little chance she'll be coming in this early... I would think it would make more sense to eat near the library rather than come back to their inn. Unless they happen to be at once nearby or traveling between two and they went by the inn on the way.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I don't want to just assume that Chuul returns mid-conversation (or not). But the horse and the weapon were his only real tasks, so Talanall, if you think it's appropriate or you just get bored, please feel free to introduce Chuul's appearance to the common room.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

My vote would be for Chuul and Garden to walk in RIGHT NOW. Awkward because of the topic and awkward because of Garren.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar does plan to go to a place in town to help where he can. He will also stop at the place Boromil told him about just to get eyes on the location.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Sorry to have left you hanging... France.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

That's a pretty good reason.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Boromil is going to wait right where he is, pausing only to answer calls of nature, until he sees his sister. He's stubborn and difficult. No idea where he picked that up.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Might as well fast forward to that event then.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

This should be good reading.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

That bitch.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Jalen's not Hope I's bastard, FYI. He spelled out in no uncertain terms that his parents are married, and he was born in wedlock. So he's legitimate even by Aureshan standards.

He's not meaningfully part of the line of succession because his (now deceased) older brother took up the ducal coronet, and then Jalen's nephew (also deceased) and his nephew's heirs, one of whom is Merenstone III. At his point, he's technically a potential heir, but wiping out every other claimant with a better lineage isn't likely to happen. Alannah doesn't have the Knowledge (nobility and royalty) ranks to figure out exactly where he stands in the succession, but probably upwards of 15th in line.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

He may have spelled that out before, but I didn't remember Alannah knowing it. So was he not married on the throne?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

He must have married more than once. Thus far, you haven't heard anything about what happened to the first wife (or when), but at a minimum you know she was human because Hope III is.

Jalen is older than he looks because of being a half-elf, but on the younger end of that race's lifespan, it's really just a 5-10 year difference versus a human of comparable physical age. The difference widens as you start to consider middle and old age for the two races. Half-elves remain youthful for much longer.

So Jalen's age could be anywhere between about 22 and 62. I seriously doubt he lies on the upper end of that range, but Alannah may not have the Knowledge (local) ranks to be sure of more than that she has trouble telling how old half-elves are.

Even if you went with the upper limit and assumed Jalen is in his early sixties, that would leave you with the assumption that Merenstone I's first wife must have died of old age. Enough time has elapsed between his disappearance and Jalen's birth to make it clear that no human being could naturally live for that long.

Insofar as there are any witnesses to the events of the Wars of Settlement or the War of Independence, they'd have to be middle-aged elves (or older) or relatively old dwarves and gnomes. There might be some half-elves and halflings who remember all that stuff, but they'd have to have one foot in the grave by this time. Or dragons, and other long-lived non-humanoid creatures.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I don't really see any reason to roleplay out Boromil's introduction to Jalen. Unless one of the PCs is going to take the bit between his teeth and set an agenda for something that isn't already on the table (which would be fine, if unexpected), I'm thinking we'll fast-forward to the next bit of business.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

I agree... but wait, maybe Avar wants to interrupt the meeting to preach the virtues of imperial rule and try to sway Boromil to his point of view instead of helping Jalen.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Unless Alannah is explecitly waiting for a party member, which it doesn't seem so, Avar will probably return long after everyone is gone. Unless something goes down at the theater or when Avar is pitching in he plans to turn in early.

He is still planning on rolling to the church unless something comes up.

As an aside did Avars situational report letter get sent? I think we covered it OOC but am not sure.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It did.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

So would that mean we did good by Jalen now? He's setup as well as he could be given the situation and politics?

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Knowledge local on the seal.

Also, I assume Alannah told the party. Maybe she didn't. Avar told her about his meeting with Boromil and everyrhing else.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 8, 5 = 13.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:

So would that mean we did good by Jalen now? He's setup as well as he could be given the situation and politics?

It's very difficult to say for sure that he couldn't be better off, but his situation now is a long way better than if nothing had been done for him.

On the other hand, the level of effort expended on his behalf hasn't been terribly great so far. Alannah talked to her brother for an hour or two after he deliberately sought her out, and arranged an introduction.

The extent to which Boromil can and will help Jalen, especially without the express support of Count Alastar, remains to be seen.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Board Rider wrote:

Knowledge local on the seal.

Avar doesn't recognize it as the seal of any thieves' guild, mercantile house, or other such legally-significant entity.

To find out whether he recognizes it as the seal of a noble house, specific aristocrat, knightly order, etc., you'd want Knowledge (nobility and royalty).

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Okalie dokalie. Knowledge religion.

EDIT: I'll note it again. I hate this roller.

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 4, 6 = 10.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

If it's a religiously-significant emblem, Avar doesn't recognize it as such.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Knowing Noble stuff

Untrained and stuff
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
Darker

And the sucky rolls continue. Alannah says fuck it and opens one.... hers if there's one addressed to her.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

There's one addressed to every member of the party, even Oskav.

Upon opening, Alannah's reads as follows:

To Lady Alannah Zaidah, greetings.

A banquet and masquerade ball, to be held on the night of 14 Verdil at Eastrit House, beginning at sunset. The pleasure of your attendance earnestly requested.

Cordially,
— Damian Zusaigan, Earl of Eastrit

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Avar's paper is a similar invitation. The wording is not perfectly identical, but the seal, handwriting, and signature all appear to be one and the same with those used for hers.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

So, uh. You guys are going to this ball, or nah? And what about the play?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oskav is probably overdue for a break. Shit is gonna get wild at this party.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

If you're a human who dresses in an outrageously racist orc costume, is it greyface? Greenface?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar plans to attend both the play and the party.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Chuul doesn't want to go to the ball, but will do what the group does. But he doesn't promise to be on his best behavior.

He's actually kinda interested to see the play.

Darker

Alannah doesn't want to go to the play, but she'll attend if the whole group is going. She does think they should go to the party. It may be a good "last event" before they skip town.

On the party note, I was looking at a magical way to replicate a mask or some sort of magical obscurement of the face. Would prestidigitation work to create an illusion that appeared as a masquerade mask? It would be lesser magic that something like change self (putting it in the realm of a 0th level effect) and doesn't replicate change self (being very specific and limited to the appearance of a mask on the face).

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Garren will go if he can find something appropriate to wear.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:

Alannah doesn't want to go to the play, but she'll attend if the whole group is going. She does think they should go to the party. It may be a good "last event" before they skip town.

On the party note, I was looking at a magical way to replicate a mask or some sort of magical obscurement of the face. Would prestidigitation work to create an illusion that appeared as a masquerade mask? It would be lesser magic that something like change self (putting it in the realm of a 0th level effect) and doesn't replicate change self (being very specific and limited to the appearance of a mask on the face).

Is there any reason why she wouldn't just use a mask? It would have the advantages of being massively less expensive, impossible to dispel or defeat via true seeing, and not subject to Will saves to disbelieve.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It's a masquerade ball. Is he looking to blend in, make a statement, or have fun?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

His primary desire is to avoid offense. Like, imagine that your Mom was getting you dressed for your aunt's wedding and you didn't want to do it, but you were resigned, so you'd wear whatever she tells you to, even though you hate it.

Or whatever Alannah suggests...

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oskav will do enough offending for both of us. He also wants to attend the play.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Pages