Chapter 13: The Worm of Hatred (OOC)

2065 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture
Chapter 13: The Worm of Hatred (OOC)

Dicks out for Harambe.

Darker

So does Oskav ever get tired of being wrong?

Darker wrote:

"But we've got a bigger problem. Cole could have left these kids bitten at the farm. He wanted us here. He had us waste the day following that smoke and this trail. He either has something nasty planned for us tonight, knowing we'd camp near... or this is a distraction and he left a while ago to do something much bigger elsewhere. At his speed, he could be almost back to Morville by now."

MinusInnocence wrote:

He continues, "However, I suspect part of Cole's plan was nothing so grandiose, Lady Alannah. We are well and truly out in the middle of nowhere now that we have followed Cole on his wild goose chase. I believe leaving the children stranded out here even further removed from the aid they need to prevent the disease from manifesting was his goal all along."

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Ed, thanks for getting my rolls in for me. Sorry for being an absentee father everyone. Super busy week and weekend, but I am back in my groove now. Fuck hosting parties.

#DicksOut4Harambe
#OskavHasADumbDumbFace

Talanall
Talanall's picture

No problem.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Secrets.

I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 4, 1, 1, 1 = 6.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 6, 4, 4, 3 = 14.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 6, 3, 1, 1 = 10.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 6, 5, 2, 1 = 13.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 6, 6, 1, 1 = 13.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 5, 5, 2, 2 = 12.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

One more set.

I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 4, 3, 2, 1 = 9.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 6, 5, 2, 1 = 13.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 6, 5, 4, 4 = 15.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 6, 5, 3, 2 = 14.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 3, 2, 1, 1 = 6.
I rolled 4d6.takehighest(3), the result is 6, 4, 2, 1 = 12.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Is it time to pray for spells?

Edit - and tell me, did we leave the playwrights in town?

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

...We sure as shit did.

Those bastards.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Somebody better have left some goddamn tracks this time.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:

Is it time to pray for spells?

Edit - and tell me, did we leave the playwrights in town?

It is time to pray for spells if you can induce Chuul to stop for a whole hour while you do it.

This said, all of Garren's spellcasting on the trail to Morville falls under the "recent casting limit" as described here. The section further down, pertaining to divine spellcasters, makes it clear that interrupted or non-existent rest is not a problem for Garren, but that the recency with which he cast these spells means that they count towards today's allotment of spells, not yesterday's.

He won't actually get those slots back until dawn tomorrow.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Well, that makes me of limited utility if we pursue Cole. Not without utility, but someone will die and I won't be able to stop it.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Man, it's like someone sat down and figured out how to fuck with you.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

And I am over here just waiting for the next open to insult Alannah.

A: "The city is burning."
G: "Like your vagina, because you are a filthy whore."

*rimshot*

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Damn. Is "Worm of Hatred" secretly Georgie's name for his dick, or something?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Please, like it isn't warranted.

Also yes.

Darker

drumandfight wrote:

And I am over here just waiting for the next open to insult Alannah.

A: "The city is burning."
G: "Like your vagina, because you are a filthy whore."

*rimshot*

That one is so good, I'm tempted to give you the line.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

What it lacks in subtlety it makes up for in a burning vagina reference.

Darker

As it should.

Darker

So we go forward, look for danger, and save anyone we can?

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

And try to find any reports or signs that can help us determine where we should be chasing the perpetrators to, yes.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Darker wrote:

So does Oskav ever get tired of being wrong?

Darker wrote:

"But we've got a bigger problem. Cole could have left these kids bitten at the farm. He wanted us here. He had us waste the day following that smoke and this trail. He either has something nasty planned for us tonight, knowing we'd camp near... or this is a distraction and he left a while ago to do something much bigger elsewhere. At his speed, he could be almost back to Morville by now."

MinusInnocence wrote:

He continues, "However, I suspect part of Cole's plan was nothing so grandiose, Lady Alannah. We are well and truly out in the middle of nowhere now that we have followed Cole on his wild goose chase. I believe leaving the children stranded out here even further removed from the aid they need to prevent the disease from manifesting was his goal all along."

Nope. Does Alannah feel weird now that she's actually right about something for once?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Alannah doesn't recall when she was ever wrong. She's right even when she is wrong. She's just even more right when she is right.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

That's my older sister.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

That's my balding dad, who is voting for Trump.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Your dad and my dad's entire side of the family.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Yeah. My uncle gets all his pertinent news from Rush Limburger. My father is offended that Al-Jazeera exists, stating to me "y'know, now they have their own news channel." My aunt refers to taking a dump as "dropping off the Obamas at the pool."

That side of my family is.... yeah.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I've got family like that, too. I think every white person in the South does.

I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 1, 11 = 12.
I rolled 1d20+14, the result is 9, 14 = 23.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oskav doesn't trust his horse and secretly wishes he had ridden her to death on the way here. He will dismount before joining Galielle and Garren.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I thought I should leave this here for you and Oskav to enjoy. Or perhaps it would more apropos to say that it's for your delectation and Oskav's intense, squirming anguish.

https://imgur.com/a/K1utf#RvXM1Zo

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

^Yesssssssss!

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Spot and Listen checks, please.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

And Search, while you're at it.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Arkenian
Arkenian's picture

Rolls

Spot, Listen, Search
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 4, 11 = 15.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 15, 11 = 26.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 3, 11 = 14.
Darker

Alannah does aerial reconnaissance, trying to fly in a lose spiral, attempting to spot any sign of movement -- be it survivors or attackers.

Since there's no penalty associated with failing and you can retry, I assume she can take a 20. Since retries count as a move action (1/2 round), then she should be able to try 20 times in a minute. Therefore, she can take a 20 by spending a minute looking?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:

Alannah does aerial reconnaissance, trying to fly in a lose spiral, attempting to spot any sign of movement -- be it survivors or attackers.

Since there's no penalty associated with failing and you can retry, I assume she can take a 20. Since retries count as a move action (1/2 round), then she should be able to try 20 times in a minute. Therefore, she can take a 20 by spending a minute looking?

In principle, yes. But keep in mind that it's pretty hot and smoky up there. She'd be flying back and forth over a village in which some 60% of freestanding structures are currently reeking pyres.

She can try it, by all means, but she may be putting herself in for smoke and heat dangers per the DM's Guide.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

I should be specific that she was going in a spiral FROM the village... she's looking for survivors that have left, not flying in the middle of the smoke above the village. She assumes that the rest of the party will continue to move into the village to look there.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Butts

Spot; Listen; Search
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 10, 3 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 8, 5 = 13.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 7 = 7.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Rolls

Listen, Search, Spot for Oskav; same for Baldr
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 12, 4 = 16.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 20, 4 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 7, 4 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 11, -1 = 10.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 7, 7 = 14.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alannah sees something down by the river. Not a van.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Alannah will investigate the not-a-van with caution -- not sure what kind of defensive posturing would be effective out of combat, but she does what she can, trying to get close enough to see what it is without exposing herself too much to missile fire. I'm assuming that hiding herself is not really an option.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The best she can do is try to approach so she's flying out of the sun.

Anyway, there's nothing there to shoot at her, that she can see. Initially, it looked like the lightly smoking remains of a campfire; the smoke was what she spotted, and that's normally a sign of people. Closer up, though, it's obviously not a camp. The fire was built unreasonably close to the water, next to a boulder that is half in, half out of the river. It looks like something is lying across the boulder, one end in the water, one end out. Alannah's not sure what, exactly. Some kind of corpse, maybe.

She thinks she needs to get closer to make more sense of what she's seeing.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Alannah is not one for too much caution, especially when something has peaked her curiosity. So, she gets as close as she needs to get to see what it is.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Skill checks

Spot, Listen, Search
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 14, 9 = 23.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 2, 9 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 10, 1 = 11.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

What Chuul passed to Jalen was a potion of cure light wounds. It has already been subtracted from his character sheet.

Arkenian
Arkenian's picture

Fair enough. My CSW potion seemed a bit excessive for a non-combat situation.

CLW Pot.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Secrets.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 10, 3 = 13.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 19 = 19.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Well... I think found Ryster. All that is missing is seeing a glint of sunlight reflecting off a small pendant of Derena.

While moving away from the scene, Alannah is going to ponder more... knowledge (local) for where this river goes and hiding places along it, knowledge (religion) for any significance of the ritualistic killing, and bardic knowledge for stories or songs that describe anything similar.

EDIT: The dice roller wigged out on my the first roll, so I tried to fix it, then it posted 2 for the first and 3 for the edit. Take these rolls anyway you want.

local;religion;bard
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+14, the result is 5, 14 = 19.
local, religion, bard
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 19, 3 = 22.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 16, 3 = 19.
I rolled 1d20+14, the result is 16, 14 = 30.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

This river goes to Golden Sheaves. Alannah lacks the skill set to know where people might hide along its course (it's not accessible through a K:local check).

As far as the nature and intent of the ritual enacted on the riverbank, Alannah suspects that it was designed primarily to horrify Chuul and company, but she wouldn't be shocked at all if someone told her that the suffering inflicted on the victim were intended to distort the local planar topology. It's not unheard of for intense enough suffering to cause temporary portals to open up, and the same general stretch of riverbank in the Spirit World is likely a horror show now.

If all that happened, and then something came through the portal, it could explain why over half of Morville is on fire, and why the overwhelming majority of what isn't burning looks like it's been severely beaten.

It also would explain why Gallielle has his panties in a twist. Alannah knows he's a planar expert of some kind.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

After she finishes searching and nothing else turns up, she turns back to Morville.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Rolls and things

Spot, Listen, and Search
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 8, 7 = 15.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 7, 7 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 8, 11 = 19.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oskav isn't very good at talking to people and Jalen is A. Already doing so, and B. Currently gathering information himself. So I will defer to him.

But I think, especially after hearing what Alannah has to say and sharing Galielle's concern, Oskav really only wants to know one thing: whether anyone in town can pinpoint the precise moment the dragon appeared overhead, and whether their account sounds anything like a planeswalking event. Because he doesn't actually know anything about that, he will ask Galielle to review their statements and hopefully discount that theory.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Pages