A Lapse In Judgment (OOC)

807 posts / 0 new
Last post
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I don't see why not. I will let anyone who wants to roll Survival do so, either on their own or to aid another member of the party. The DC is probably going to be pretty high, since we're effectively ruling that if you're good enough at navigating outdoors, you can escort people beyond the normal bounds of human exertion. But that's why rangers make the big bucks!

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Thunk survives. Also, Thunk is in favor of whichever option promises a larger portion of dinner. And he doesn't understand why everyone is getting so tired. WTF people, there's more than 8 hours of sunlight, therefore you should be able to press forward for more than 8 hours.

Survival to help the laggards.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 14, 6 = 20.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

First off, woot. Glad you're back!

Secondly, I have a multitude of questions. I'm not sure if it's a plague or a murder. I'd guess it is a ponderance of questions.

Argus has Favored Terrain (Forest). Can you confirm that the current terrain applies?
If we're all capable of moving at half speed (15) but we're all moving at Jugg's modified speed (10), we're really only traveling at 2/3 speed - we're lollygagging. Considering that this is far short of a high-exertion forced march, would the fatigue checks even apply (except to Jugg)? While we all know that nobody throws a dwarf, considering the benefits of a faster speed, what would happen if we asked Thunk nicely to carry the dwarf? I'd think that we'd manage the faster speed? If that makes sense, is that something Jugg and Thunk will agree to? Even if Thunk doesn't carry Jugg, he's big, strong and fast (though maybe that's from another version of this character)? Assuming that Thunk does have a base move of 40', can he 'blaze a trail' moving at half speed and still let us move at 20' (full speed for Thunk)? Could a survival roll help with that?

Okay, that's it for me now. I normally have a +11 Survival, but +2 for Favored Terrain, so rolling at +13.

Survival
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 13, 13 = 26.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Okay, regarding bringing mules, I'm in favor. Argus is good with handling animals, and has a spell that will help if they get scared (once). Also inclined to have Jugg ride a mule if that's faster than his base speed (I have not seen Pathfinder mule stats). For marching order I'm for Thunk first if he can clear a way, otherwise I can go first.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Actually, thank you for reminding me. You are not moving at 20' per round, but 15' instead.

I will defer to Jugg and Thunk before chiming in on how practical it would be for someone to carry a 200lb person for several hours at a time through densely forested terrain. But I will also say that Argus and Thunk were two of the most obvious people to be calling dibs on making a Survival check to chart a path, and now Argus has rolled a 26. If anyone else would like to roll to aid him, they are more than welcome to.

Success here would mean that however long the march ends up being, at the very least you're looking at substantial bonuses on the Constitution checks to avoid taking nonlethal damage.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

How about the mules? How fast are they, and how fast are they with Jugg'r riding?

If there are two mules I'm sure we can have one take the weight of the dwarf, and the other carry take the hefty weight of his ball sack separately. You know, assumign that makes a difference.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

The mules are moving as fast as Thunk and one of them is certainly strong enough to carry Jugg. So the party will be moving at half speed for humans, not dwarves, if you bring the muoes with you.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq is not unaccomplished at wildernesscraft himself. He'll attempt to aid Argus in his efforts.

Aid Another (Survival)
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 15, 10 = 25.
Darker

Thunk pretty much sees himself as the party's go-to carrier of things... so sure, he'd carry a dwarf. Don't forget, he has Muleback Cords so he can carry most things pretty damn well.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

There's that, but we do have literal mules.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I think Jugg should ride a mule and Thunk should carry the mule. Nothing would say 'fuck off' to anyone that was thinking of attacking us like that. But yeah - looks like we're bringing mules so moving at human half-speed.

Who all is with us? I recommend a marching order of Thunk, Dalvar (mounted), Argus, Jugg (mounted), Feruq. People I'm forgetting can go after Thunk or before Feruq.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Normally I restrict how many people can realistically help someone else perform a task at once but this skill check is unfolding over the course of an entire day of overland travel so there's plenty of room for folks to give their two cents. And, unlike in most cases, not having any real wilderness survival training doesn't necessarily mean you can't help pick an easier path through the woods. We aren't talking about figuring out which mushrooms are safe to eat.

Rolling Survival for Jugg. @Cronono, @Board Rider and @Talanall, this is a freebie - no ranks in the skill required.

Survival for Jugg
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 1, 7 = 8.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Aramil will walk near Jugg to keep and eye on him. He is also help Argus with survival checks.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 13, 7 = 20.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Leon will offer his opinions.

Opinions are like noses. Everyone has one and no one cares. They really get concerned if you don't have one, however.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 8 = 8.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Right on. OK, so what is the plan? Does anyone particularly want to check in with the kobolds or will the party be proceeding as quickly as possible? I will share the results of the group Survival check after you make those choices.

@Talanall, just to confirm - did you bring Bunny the mule or did you guys only bring the one communally owned by the party?

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

My apologies for a sluggish reply; it's been an uncommonly busy weekend for me, and this was my first moment of leisure to do Archive stuff. Survival/Wis is appended to this post.

Bunny is with Dalvar. With Raphael dead, he needs someone he can talk to.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 8, 1 = 9.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

My vote is skip thr kobolds.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Dalvar would very much like to stop and visit the kobolds, but he's not ready to stab people over it, or anything like that.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Thunk wasn't aware than stabbing was an acceptable debate strategy. He may try to get his point across in more arguments now.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq doesn't have an opinion on the subject. If it's looking like we're making good time or having a very easy time of traveling, then he'll vote to press on. Otherwise, he could be convinced to pause for the kobolds.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Moving right along...

The party collectively hit a Survival check of 30, which is REALLY high in this ruleset. As I mentioned previously, it's pretty unusual for just about everyone in the group to be able to assist on a skill check but this wasn't the kind of thing where too many chefs in the kitchen would spoil the meal. Because of that great skill check, Argus & Co. managed to find enough long stretches of terrain where they were mostly able to move at their full speed of 3 miles per hour. This means they reach their destination of the Reflecting Pool at the end of the Hog Brook within six additional hours of travel, so no need for Constitution checks from a forced march. It seems unlikely that they would be able to pull that trick again deeper in the forest, however, but Argus thinks if they come back through this way in the near future, he can probably find the trail they used again for the return trip.

It is now the third day of Qaden (the fifth month), 25 days since Jelenneth's abduction and 27 days since the campaign began.

Everyone in the party is at 100% in terms of hit points and ability damage except for Jugg, who still has 5 Strength damage. Another 24 hours of long term care from Aramil should bring him down to only 1 point of damage and that will heal on its own the day after that, regardless of how much he exerts himself and whether anyone is healing him or not.

Now it's time for the party to decide where they go from here. It's anyone's guess where Broken Spire Keep is. You've traveled pretty far south into the stretch of the Thornwood within Haranshire's borders. No one has been able to give the party a hard answer about where to look, but everyone is pretty sure the place isn't anywhere north of this position.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

After breakfast, Feruq will find the tallest tree nearby. He'll take 10 on Climb checks to get as high up as he can and will see what he can see.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'll prepare and cast Speak With Animals to see if there is a bird I can ask.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:

I'll prepare and cast Speak With Animals to see if there is a bird I can ask.

Sure, give me a Perception check.

Re: climbing a tree: Feruq has no trouble climbing a tree with a +8 to his Athletics and taking 10. I need a Reflex save from him on the way up, however, and a Perception check when he gets to the top.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Perception

Perception
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 9, 8 = 17.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:

Perception

Great. There is a murder of crows perched in the trees surrounding the glade and one of them is immediately visible to Argus.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Argus obviously knows enough about these birds to remember that they like shiny trinkets, and although this may be his first time sharing words with a crow, his training came at least in part from others who were more familiar with wild birds and beasts.

I will take Knowledge (nature) checks from anyone with at least one rank in the skill.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Taking 10 for an 18.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Rolls for Feruq

Reflex Save; Perception; Knowledge (nature)
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 7, 5 = 12.
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 6, 10 = 16.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 1, 6 = 7.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Nature check.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 12, 5 = 17.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Nature

Knowledge Nature
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 13, 11 = 24.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Leon and Aramil may not have any personal experience speaking with animals, but they are at least aware that there are people who possess the gift. Argus seems like the kind of person who fits the bill and just observing the scene unfolding in front of them, it's pretty obvious that's what's going on: the ranger and the crow take turns making noises at each other, and the bird is definitely looking right at him when it "speaks."

So having established that he's not jerking their chain, if his translation of the bird's speech is accurate, they sound like pretty bright animals and may know about other things going on in the area.

Argus knows just about as much as modern-day researchers in our world know about crows: they are among the most intelligent creatures on Earth and certainly some of the most intelligent birds, capable of many remarkable feats of human-like problem solving and memory. Most relevant in this situation: the crow Argus is talking to said it "remembered" some of the party from the last time they camped here with Oleanne.

It's probably speaking literally: crows can recognize and remember individual humans by what their faces look like, and can even convey that information to other crows who were not present to observe the human. If Argus is interested in asking the locals if they have encountered anyone in particular, the murder that flocks here are just about as reliable as it gets in terms of eye witness testimony.

Con damage
I rolled 1d3, the result is 3 = 3.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Feruq takes 3 Constitution damage from the funky caterpillar. It's not a monster or anything, it literally fits in the palm of his hand. But the chance of running afoul of creepy crawlies makes venturing up into the trees in this area a little more complicated.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Nice try at lulling our suspicions. But I'm afraid we simply have no alternative but to burn down the forest now.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Blood for blood. That forest is going to take some Con damage before we're done with it.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

I know it was noted in the IC post but Aramil will indeed add Feruq to his patient list.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I can take Intelligence checks from Argus, Dalvar, Feruq, Jugg and Thunk now. I will roll for Jugg.

Jugg reads books
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Here we go.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 20, 5 = 25.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

So I guess Dalvar opens his third eye, and absorbs the secrets of the cosmos. :P

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

OK... I GUESS that is better than Jugg's roll.

During the adventure when the party first met Shiraz the ranger and Shenjurath the nixie; when the Heroes went below the surface of the Eelhold to find a portal to the Plane of Water, so they could close it from the other side and trap a rampaging elemental; Dalvar doesn't remember any real hypotheses being floated about what could be causing the flooding in southern Haranshire.

But having given it some more thought since then, and having the closest thing to confirmation he's heard yet - that the natural flora and fauna, when asked directly what they think, do not believe the weather is under supernatural influence, but the flooding might be - he thinks what we're probably working with is a magic item to focus the energy required to bring water here from "somewhere else."

The volume of water is truly titanic but it is being used to flood an area slowly over the period of weeks and months, and he's never really heard of anything like that. It is most likely either not being used deliberately (think of a decanter of endless water that was accidentally left open somewhere) or the item has some other, legitimate function in addition to conjuring water. In this latter case, maybe the flooding is the result of a malfunction or curse on the item or its owner. If the item is malfunctioning, abandoned or cursed, its owner (if there is one) may be unaware they are the culprit.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Int Check

No whammies...
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq will just sit back and eat crayons with Jugg.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Argus and Thunk are still welcome to make Intelligence checks to see if they can recall or deduce something based on what the crow is telling them.

At this point, the bird thinks this conversation is probably over. Argus can make a Diplomacy check or a wild empathy roll to try to improve his relationship with the crow, and whether that roll succeeds or fails he can attempt a separate Diplomacy roll to persuade it to stick around for another question or two.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Thunk sometimes thinks stuff.

Int
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 7, -1 = 6.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

If Argus opts to try to influence the crow or ply it for more information, Dalvar's offer will net him a +2 bonus on either of the two checks.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Wild Empathy +5 Int +2
Check bonus does not include +2 from Dalvar.

Wild Empathy; Intelligence
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 18, 5 = 23.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 9, 2 = 11.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Argus doesn't recall anything specific prompted by the information that the crow has shared here, but the good news is his wild empathy check was so high the murder's general attitude toward the PCs just skyrocketed from Indifferent to Helpful.

Asking the crow some more questions when it really wants to jet is now an autopass. Asking them to keep an eye out then come find the Heroes when they see Eyepatch again is more of an extended request, but the DC is only 5. So including Dalvar's aid, Argus only needs to roll a 3 or higher to lock in that favor from the crows.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

*gasps at the implication that Dalvar would knowingly encourage Argus toward an opportunity to use his talents in a highly effective, even indispensable fashion that will also become a long-standing burden that nobody else in the party can bear*

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Clutch the pearls!

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Rolling...

3+ Please???
I rolled 1d20, the result is 18 = 18.

Pages