A Lapse In Judgment (OOC)

190 posts / 0 new
Last post
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture
A Lapse In Judgment (OOC)

It is now the 29th day of Ebb, the fourth month of the year; 21 days since Jelenneth's abduction and 23 days since the campaign began.

I have confirmed that Argus and Feruq both still have their potions. I also have updated sheets from just about everyone who leveled up, I think; PMs are incoming for a few of you. Excepting Jugg, the party is now 5th level. He can't really do shit right now anyway and Jeff may or may not even still be playing but we will proceed operating under the assumption that he will eventually return. For his part, once Jugg is back in fighting shape he has every intention of accompanying the party at least as far as rescuing his cousin Snagg from the kidnappers.

He also made something akin to a Dwarven oath to the effect he would not rest until Jelenneth was found (or some sign of her death, at least); but maybe he doesn't care about that as much as others would. Anyway, to describe what happened to him as a near-death experience is something of an understatement so he's had a little bit of time in the past 24 hours to reevaluate pretty much everything about his life. I guess it's also true that he wants to see Gideon strung up, as Old Grizzler would be quick to recommend; but he doesn't dispute the party's reasoning for not persisting and wasn't in much condition to object even if he did.

This campaign is now entering a phase during which I intend to start incorporating material from the book Occult Advetures. There are also a few other rulesets and custom rules I'm taking a final look at before introducing them to 2EE. Stay tuned.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Perception from Argus and Thunk, please.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Thunk sometimes sees things.

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 15, 6 = 21.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Dalvar's with them, as well. Otherwise he wouldn't have gotten up.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oh. Well in that case he is more than welcome to roll Perception. Or take 10, I guess.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 13, 3 = 16.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Perception

I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 7, 8 = 15.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Thunk catches the scent of sulfur in the air even before Argus opens the doors; it's the same stench the tongue devil left behind when it teleported away.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Even from the doorway, Argus and Thunk can just make out that there appear to be several bodies - or pieces of bodies - partially buried in the shattered masonry that must have fallen from the ceiling during the night. They would need to advance about 60' into the room along the left wall to take a closer look and start picking through the rubble.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Okay. I'll do that.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Quote:
Excepting Jugg, the party is now 5th level. He can't really do shit right now anyway and Jeff may or may not even still be playing but we will proceed operating under the assumption that he will eventually return. For his part, once Jugg is back in fighting shape he has every intention of accompanying the party at least as far as rescuing his cousin Snagg from the kidnappers.

Jeff is still interested in playing him. I will admit, I have not caught up on everything I missed since the move, the previous semester, and now. And an obligatory, "aw man everyone leveled up without me.. this is bullshit!"

Where is Jugg right now? Resting with this weird blind kid and Feruq?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yessir, unless he is very eager to go back to the haunted castle. But if he were to get into a fight right now, he'd suffer a -3 penalty to attack and damage. He can carry his weapons and armor, I think, but nothing else.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

They should just play Eye Spy while they wait. Jugg probably will win.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

That is one thing Jugg is REALLY good at and even though his eyes might be particularly droopy this morning, his Strength isn't a factor. Having a professionally trained sentry in the party is never a bad thing unless you're doing sneaky, spooky things and don't want him to notice.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Can Thunk have worn the mule straps? It seems to have made sense if there was any chance of having to lift or carry things.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Does that count him wearing the ropes of extra carrying capacity? Since dwarves can't be slowed down for heavy loads, he's the natural choice, even once he recovers his strength. We also have a potion if we want to get him feeling better faster, right?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Sounds like there might be some disagreement about what the natural choice would be. But yes, combined with his masterwork backpack (which effectively treats his Strength as 1 higher for the purposes of determining how much stuff you can carry), if you gave Jugg the muleback cords he would have an effective Strength of 14. That should be enough to carry his gear too.

If Thunk wants to wear them instead, that's totally fine; although he's not really even close to being encumbered right now and he's only going to be lifting one support beam or piece of stone at a time, not walking around with all of it on his back. So dramatically increasing his carrying capacity might not be fruitful here unless there's a single slab that weighs like 900lbs or something.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

I only meant for the moment, i.e. this trip to check on Ralph. Afterwards, they should be claimed and/or bid on like everything else. Anyone can benefit from them in the long term. While Jugg is weak and we are traveling, he should wear them so he's not suffering any negatives or slowing us more than normal. Unless Thunk would wear them and Jugg ride on his shoulder like the dwarf warrior in Golden Axe II.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

No, unless Thunk had reason to believe he would be carrying something extremely heavy (like a corpse) I don't imagine he took them. But he very well may have decided that for himself and Jugg was still asleep. Actually, even while awake Jugg isn't in much condition to argue, so really Thunk could have done whatever he wanted.

While wearing the muleback cords, Thunk's Strength is treated as 26 (30 while raging). His max load shoots up to 920lbs, which makes my half-joking reference to something weighing 900lbs earlier a little less funny. While raging, he could carry up to 1,600lbs at one time, but obviously only until his rage ended.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Any benefit to throwing something?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Aside from dramatically increasing the weight of something you could plausibly throw, no.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Knowledge (planes) and (religion) re: the mantle

I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 20, 13 = 33.
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 7, 10 = 17.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Talanall thinks the fire was probably fiendish in origin. The planar cosmology of this room likely changed dramatically last night, although he doesn't know if it has remained so. If he had to guess, he thinks the structural damage to the great hall and the Keep in general was probably a combination of the angry spirits haunting the place as well as some kind of infernal interference. Dalvar isn't certain what could have prompted that, but it may have something to do with what kind of person Raphael is or what kind of ritual he was attempting.

For all Dalvar knows, it wasn't an exorcism at all, although he did try pretty hard to convince at least Dalvar to attend.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

ALSO: a sample of the residue left over by the balefire can be collected with a check as high as the one Dalvar made. There's enough here to augment the next summon spell he casts to bring fiendish creatures into this world. Another caster using it as a variant spell component would confer the benefits of the Augment Summoning feat to any creatures he or she summoned; but Dalvar already has that feat. Instead, they will receive the full benefits of the advanced template, so all six ability scores will be increased by +4 (not just Strength and Constitution) and their natural armor will also be enhanced by +2.

The sample here is probably worth about 400gp.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Message text: "Gone west. Follow your nose, if the nose knows," in Infernal.

Can we take 20 with Perception to try to ascertain whether we are alone in the great hall?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I guess that depends on how much peril you think you're in if you stick around. If you are under the impression that remaining in this room is hazardous to your health, then no, taking 20 isn't allowed because you're being threatened. In fact, under those criteria, you can't even taken 10.

But if you think you can afford to wait for two minutes and just listen to see if you can detect anything moving around in here, it doesn't sound like Dalvar feels very threatened at all.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Fair enough. The balefire residue's tempting, but I don't think Dalvar is power-hungry enough to stick around and try to figure out whether it's safe to walk in and take it.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Does Thunk follow when Argus and Dalvar leave? It looks like they're ready to skedaddle but aside from the devil-stink he detected earlier (which is now subsiding a little, due to both spending some time sitting here and getting used to it and also the door being open to let some fresh air in), he can't really discern any obvious threats. It's not obvious to him why the humans are so skittish.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Everything is already pretty smashed up and doesn't need more smashing, so he doesn't see a reason to stick around. He may linger for a few moments to scan things and listen, but once his friends leave, he leaves too. Here's a perception check he makes as he is doing the last look.

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 7, 6 = 13.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

OK. On your way out, it's probably a good idea to kit out the horses as well as you can. There are enough military, riding and/or pack saddles along with bits, bridles and saddlebags for you to outfit the animals however you would like. As a refresher, you have three light horses, five heavy horses and three light warhorses, as well as two mules (of which Bunny, the mule Dalvar has had since at least 2nd or 3rd level, is one).

Pack saddles for the mules is an obvious choice. You could probably loot the place entirely and have enough to equip each animal however you would like on top of hauling back about 300gp in gear pertaining to animal husbandry.

Of special note: Argus knows the four remaining light warhorses have the Light Armor Proficiency feat instead of Endurance. This is pertinent because there are a dozen sets of light chain barding equivalent to chain shirts inventoried here. Each of these costs 400gp and is worth half that on the open market if you aren't interested in keeping any of it. The two most likely places to find buyers for these animals and the relevant gear are Kuiper's farm, although after his barn was burned down he might not be able to house them appropriately for some time; and Nafton back in Milborne.

Argus had enough time and resources even outside of the confines of the stables to adequately care for all of the animals present. They are no longer fatigued or have any nonlethal damage.

Aside from all of that, the trio and Puck make it back to the party's campsite unmolested.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I am confused. You have said that we have three light warhorses here, and then went back and said four when you talked about armor proficiency. Which is correct?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Four. Sorry.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well. If these either don't belong to the count, or he has no problems letting us have 'em, then great. At a minimum, we'll get to Kuiper's all the faster.

It would be stupid of us not to take them and their armor, either way.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Agreed.

Darker

And even if they do belong to the Count, it's not like he can see us taking them.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

True. On the other hand, not deaf or dead. Unless we're going to murder him now. Which we could TOTALLY do.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Just tell Thunk how this guy is going to cause Thunk's share of the food to be cut down for an additional person. He will take care of the rest.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I'll take Knowledge (local) or Knowledge (history) checks from anyone with at least one rank in the skill now.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Local.

I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 2, 9 = 11.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Roll

Knowledge (history)
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 3, 6 = 9.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Neither Dalvar nor Feruq know enough about this subject to really elaborate further. They know that it is probably more complicated than a property rights issue, because Lyntern Parlfray is technically the sovereign ruler of Haranshire and the stuff in question came from his seat of power (presumably subsidized by tax revenue). Of course, maybe he isn't ACTUALLY the Count yet, if there is some kind of formal ceremony that needs to take place. And maybe that's not relevant at all. They just don't know.

What's been observed thus far is fair enough - if taking it is wrong because it would be considered looting, leaving it to be looted by someone else seems like a particularly bad idea. And the Heroes of Haranshire are helping the people by performing various good deeds here and there; of course, right now, they are literally serving the new Count by escorting him to a place of relative safety.

For his part, Lyntern makes no objection to them requisitioning the animals and gear at least until they can get wherever it is they're going. He is silent on the issue of whether that's actually his stuff or if he wants to be the Count at all.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I'm having trouble finding stats for donkeys or mules but I'm going to rule that they have a speed of 40'. If you hustle for the last hour of travel, they should be able to make it by the end of the day. It would be 6pm when you reach Kuiper's farm if nothing happens to interrupt your travel along the way.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

That seems like a less than favorable option. Maybe a pony with the advanced template, then it would at least have Str 17.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'm cool either way. Mules in 3.x have Str 16, Dex 13, Con 17 and move at 30 ft., and are Large. A donkey would be Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12 and move at 30 ft., and are Medium.

When Dalvar got him, I was operating from the assumption that PF mules would be similar (because why would Paizo change the stats for a MULE?), but at the end of the day Bunny wasn't loaded down very heavily most of the time. The size and Str difference isn't such a huge deal as it might be if I had him loaded down with all kinds of crap. So Bunny's probably at least as useful at 40 ft. base speed as a strong Medium creature as he would have been using 3.5 rules.

Dalvar mostly keeps him around because he wants the extra carrying capacity for loot, corpses, etc.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yeah I think what we'll do after taking a second look at it is just apply the Advanced template to the Pony entry; so you would be looking at a Speed 40' Medium creature with +4 to every ability score (except Intelligence obviously) and a higher natural armor bonus. I don't know what the stats for a donkey would be - they're considered to be identical in terms of how much they cost and how big they are so I'm just going to say they're identical stat-wise too even though that's not accurate. I apologize to any other donkey/mule fans in the house. I'm working on drawing up a few tables for animals like horses that you might shop for which would let us randomly determine if they have some favorable (or less than favorable) alternate traits but probably won't do the same for something like a mule.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

That's fine with me. I don't really want to have Bunny become some kind of pack saddled Glitterhoof.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:
I apologize to any other donkey/mule fans in the house.

I feel like I should post a link...

Talanall
Talanall's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:

 

MinusInnocence wrote:

I apologize to any other donkey/mule fans in the house.

I feel like I should post a link...

I gotchu, fam.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I think that was removed from the version of Clerks II I saw... Somehow that wasn't retained in my memory, and that doesn't seem like the kind of thing you ever forget...no matter how hard you try.

I was thinking maybe something like This.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I kinda imagine Jugg'r as probably looking like a more muscular version of the Sexy Stud. Always have, really.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages