Gideon's Justice (OOC)

620 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

That sounds like a great idea. Dalvar is 1000% in favor of it.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Darker - I know what I said, baby.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Climb

Climb
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

God dammit.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Well, the good news is that falling as soon as you start means you don't take any damage.

And yet more good news: I see from your roll you're using your full modifier, which means you aren't trying to hurry. So, you aren't being rushed and you aren't distracted, any more than performing a skill check in a dungeon potentially filled with monsters and traps is already distracting. So you should be able to take 10 here, and if you do so, the DC is well within the margin of error of your bonus to the roll.

What is Feruq's intention? Does he want to just secure the rope at the first branch in the tunnel then shimmy back down, or take a look around, or keep climbing up, or what?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Once he gets to a point where he can see what's what, he'll make a decision then. If it looks as though there's further to climb, but potentially a spot higher that a rope could be secured upon, he'll keep going. He won't go so high that he runs out of rope, though.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Remind me, was there a good reason we wanted to come up from under the keep besides the fact that's where the caverns reside? Or, more directly, is there a good reason we'd want to come in on the first floor instead of the second?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes, Dalvar was wigged the fuck out at the idea that we might have to fight a frontal assault against Gideon and what was it? fifteen other bandits/cultists?

I don't know if he'd have explained his reasoning in detail unless asked, but he's really kind of hoping to get in, maybe check out the dungeons to see if Gideon and company took some prisoners, maybe get a situation report from them if he can, and then decide how to proceed.

That could mean we slip away with Gideon's prisoners, avoiding more combat. It could mean (and Dalvar really hopes) that we'll wait until an opportune moment, and murder Gideon's associates in their sleep before going on to a series of entertainments at the traitor's expense, such that will make Dalvar's waterboarding efforts in the mine look like a zany summer afternoon at the water park.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Luck

Heads and Feruq continues up, tails and he settles on the ground floor
I rolled 1d2, the result is 2 = 2.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Looks like this level is gonna do it. MI, I'm not sure if Use Rope has a Pathfinder equivalent, or if you even want such a check. Is there something handy to tie the rope off to?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

We'll just assume you brought Argus' rope, which has a grappling hook affixed to one end.

The DC to climb a knotted length of rope when you have a wall to brace your feet against is effectively zero. There are characters in the party with a negative modifier to Athletics checks, of course, but no one with -5 or more so there is no risk of falling.

Also, if you arrange the characters in the roper order, maybe people who are better at this can aid another while climbing. So there's really no way this goes poorly unless something awful happens in the next 30 seconds.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

.....

I don't like the way you phrased that.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Starting as soon as the parts arrive, my PC is going to be down for hardware replacement and upgrade work. I don't know how long it will be down; if everything goes as planned, probably no more than a few hours. But if the Screwup Fairy visits me, it could be a week or more.

I should be able to participate more or less normally in this game, even if I do it by relying on my phone, although my character sheet will be more or less inaccessible to me during this time period.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Random

Secret
I rolled 1d100, the result is 16 = 16.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 85 = 85.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Random

Secret
I rolled 1d6, the result is 5 = 5.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I need a Fortitude save from Raphael, please.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Aye dios mio.

Fort
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 12, 3 = 15.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Great! And a Reflex save, if you don't mind.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cristo!

This can't end well.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 10, 3 = 13.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I note it's been awhile since Jeff posted anything in Ancestral Burdens, and it looks like he's been pretty quiet in Craig's game; even after he was supposed to have finished his vacation. I will now take the liberty of rolling his Athletics check to expedite the process, because I've been M.I.A. for longer than anticipated myself and time's-a-wastin'.

Athletics
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 5, 8 = 13.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Whether it takes a single round or half an hour, Jugg's Perception modifier is high enough with his racial stonecunning trait factored in that he can actually succeed on a DC 30 check while taking 20 to find "unusual stonework." For the purposes of this exercise, it counts as unusual whether it's an actual hidden door or if there was a doorway at one point that was sealed up at a later date. So, there's no reason to go through all of that nonsense asking who will help him search. Let's just assume he finds it around 11:45 pm. The storm is still raging outside, though you can't hear it, which tells the party the dwarf probably led them true: they must still be somewhere in the castle's basement.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Am I remembering correctly that Pathfinder changes how trapfinding works, such that anyone with enough ranks can find and/or disarm a mundane trap, and you only need to have something like the rogue's trapfinding ability to handle magical traps (but you need it regardless of DC)?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yes. Characters without the trapfinding class feature can still attempt a Perception check to detect a magical trap, but not disarm it, no matter the DC or their modifier. And anyone, trapfinding or not, can attempt to detect or disarm mechanical traps.

Point of clarity: the walls of this chamber consist of worked stone, not natural rock.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Given that we're in a 15' x 15' room, I guess that any critters and other threats would be evident more or less instantaneously. If the ambient temperature is comfortable in here, it seems to me (and likely to Dalvar) that it would not be a terrible idea for us to stop and rest once we figure out where/if there is a doorway out of this little chamber.

Right now it seems like nobody knows we're here, and it doesn't look as if anything is likely to sneak up on us, given how constricted the path to get here has been. 8 hours of rest would clear off any looming problems with fatigue, let our injured heal up and shake off a little ability damage, and give our spellcasting types a chance to replenish spells.

That way, we can be fresh in the morning when it is time to kill every living thing inside the castle walls rip Gideon's heart out through his asshole rescue any survivors from whatever happened at the keep. Being heroic is very fatiguing, after all.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

I like Ed's plan.

Sorry about the absence. I'm back now. Thanks for rolling for me. After a couple more ICs I will get another IC in with Jugg finding the trapdoor. If you move it along before that, that's cool too.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

It is now the 28th day of Fourmonth, 20 days since Jelenneth's abduction and 22 days since the campaign begin.

I meant to get this updated sooner. I've been dealing with a lot of extra bullshit lately. Anyway, I'm heading out of town tomorrow and should be back Sunday evening. So maybe we can start getting back to normal next week.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq rises and goes about his normal morning routine of grooming himself an rewrapping his turban (though he foregoes a few necessities in light of the close quarters of the room). Quiet and introverted at the best of times, he appears downright troubled and spends some time meditating alone in a corner, obviously trying to gather or organize his thoughts.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Have we had dreams of a strange nature in this campaign before? Especially shared dreams? I think there was a night where Jugg dreames of his cousin and we all had similarly unpleasant ones?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yeah, there was one where we seemed to have dreamed of things that our characters wanted. Problems solved, etc.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Before the Heroes sally forth, Dalvar takes a few seconds to cast mage armor and protection from arrows on himself. They're both long-acting, in hours per level, and I doubt that it will take us longer than their duration to clear the keep and its grounds. But if I turn out to be wrong, MI, please let me know.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:
Have we had dreams of a strange nature in this campaign before? Especially shared dreams? I think there was a night where Jugg dreames of his cousin and we all had similarly unpleasant ones?
The night you spent at the Reflecting Pool after battling the Bloodskull orcs, each of the Heroes had a different dream. The way Kuiper explained it, or tried to, dreaming in that location is a joint enterprise between the Pool and the dreamer. Something about your innermost fears, ambitions, hopes or doubt is coupled with the magic of the Pool to provide some kind of guidance (or at least constructive criticism).

This dream is altogether different, which should be obvious upon any further discussion about it. Even in a fantasy setting like Damark, half a dozen people all having the same dream on the same night is unusual and likely supernatural in origin, and if it is similar to what happened at the Reflecting Pool at all, maybe it can be chalked up to your current location somehow.

Talanall wrote:
Before the Heroes sally forth, Dalvar takes a few seconds to cast mage armor and protection from arrows on himself. They're both long-acting, in hours per level, and I doubt that it will take us longer than their duration to clear the keep and its grounds. But if I turn out to be wrong, MI, please let me know.
I will tell you when the spells run out whether you're still here taking care of business or not. I will even tell you if they end because you died.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

I will show you the meaning of being lonely.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

CURRENT STATUS

Argus - 100%
Dalvar - 100%
Feruq - 100%
Jugg - 1 Dexterity damage.
Raphael - 100%
Thunk - 3 damage.
Puck - 100%

Random
I rolled 1d100, the result is 47 = 47.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 32 = 32.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Decide amongst yourselves who is carrying which light sources. The sunrod would have lasted close to five hours while you slept, accounting for the time spent exploring the centipede cavern. If you had a lantern lit some or all of that time, or for the next five or so hours until everyone was finished resting, that may influence your decision. Before going underground last night, the party had two bullseye lanterns, four flasks of oil (which each burn for six hours) and a torch, all told.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Dalvar would have been difficult about having a light on during the night. He likes it dark when he sleeps.

I propose that we use a bullseye lantern at the front of the party, carried by whoever is second in line, and a torch at the back.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Let's not forget Dalvar is the brains of thid operation. Marching order is what he says. I like giving lights to people who don't need their hands for weapons, but I'll hold a light if I'm asked to.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq doesn't mind holding a light. He can dragon-kick a dude in the head with or without one.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Jugg, Feruq (light), Dalvar, Argus, Raphael (light), Thunk?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Yes. Yes, indeed.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Right on. You have about five hours of lamp oil left in the lantern and the torch will last you six hours. For the sake of expedience we can assume Jugg relates what he sees to the others.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Random

Hit points
I rolled 1d10+2, the result is 9, 2 = 11.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Random

Damage
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
I rolled 4d6, the result is 3, 6, 4, 4 = 17.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Random

Stabilize
I rolled 1d20-10, the result is 19, -10 = 9.
I rolled 1d20-11, the result is 11, -11 = 0.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

How far away is the soldier? Is the soldier making use of a light source?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

He's at the corner in the hallway, which is about 15' away. The only source of light visible to Feruq are those the party brought with them.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

And as of yet, he hasn't shown any sign that he's reacting to our light sources? Or are they not really showing to him for some reason?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

He's probably dead, if he's still sitting down here, alone and in the dark, with his weapon broken in half.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Feruq can tell without a Heal or Perception check from this distance the guard is either dead or very close to it. He doesn't appear to be moving enough even to suggest he's still breathing.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Just tell Thunk he's sleeping. Don't want to upset him.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Doesn't Thunk worship death?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages

Topic locked