From Beyond The Stars (OOC)

197 posts / 0 new
Last post
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture
From Beyond The Stars (OOC)

OK! Welcome back, everybody. The IC thread intro included a bit of a refresher but I will continue here.

It is now the 28th day of Ebb, the fourth month of the year 412 (4.28.412). It is 20 days (two full ten-day weeks) since Jelenneth's disappearance and 22 days since the campaign began, when the original party accepted the contract from Gordrenn in the capitol to deliver a package of spell components to the wizard Tauster.

After making your way to Parlfray Keep, it was apparent Gideon had beaten you to it. The refugees from Thurmaster who did not travel west along the river toward Kuiper's farm or beyond to Milborne came here, and some or all of them were murdered for their trouble - dozens burned alive on the path leading up the hill to the front gate. Dalvar and Jugg put their heads together and devised a plan to access the fortress from underground, creeping first through a network of caves (which it turns out were infested with monstrous centipedes) and then scaling the interior of a ventilation unit up into what they assume was intended as a maintenance room, sealed behind a secret door perhaps even since its initial construction.

This led into a hallway featuring a few jail cells and doors at opposite ends, one leading upstairs to the wine cellar and behind and the other leading down below. One of the guards assigned to Squire Marlen at his office in Thurmaster was found dead in the hallway, likely by Gideon's own hand. He had gone to retrieve something from the private chambers of the Count's son, Lyntern, a boy of perhaps eighteen or nineteen years - an enchanted lockpick. This is relevant because, of course, Lyntern, his father and Marlen had been imprisoned unjustly in their own dungeon. More pressing, of course, was the former Count's distressing new condition. At some point in the two or three days since the cultists and their new comrade Gideon arrived, ostensibly before his incarceration, fell magic was used to infect the Count with ghoul fever.

Predictably, being locked in a cell with an Undead cannibal doesn't leave an elderly man without any combat experience many options, and Squire Marlen had been partially devoured by the time the Heroes arrived to rescue him. Lyntern, locked in an adjacent cell in full view of what his father had become, gouged out his own eyes in grief and terror and was badly dehydrated and malnourished by the time of his rescue. For his part, however, the now-undead former Count was in relatively good spirits and more than cooperative with any questions and demands the party had. He offered to tell them all sorts of other things they had not thought to ask him in exchange for his freedom, particularly where Gideon went after killing the guard and what horrors lie in wait for him (and his pursuers). No dice, however, because there is no good reason to unleash an evil monster with a taste for human flesh unless left with no other recourse.

So, the only thing left to do was venture upstairs and clear the rest of the Keep, then come back and revisit their options. Wherever the other door went, it was a different section of the basement than they had seen thus far, but the Count mentioned a book in his library that might offer some further insights on the subject and which, if they managed to retrieve it, would obviate the need to negotiate further with a ghoul. Lyntern was left with some food and water, after unlocking his cell, in the secret chamber just off the hall the Heroes had previously used to infiltrate the keep. He is blind and entirely incapable of defending himself, so it would be a real shame if his dead-but-really-quite-all-right-with-the-whole-thing father managed to escape the confines of his prison cell.

Now that we're back up to date, I'll be running Jugg as an NPC until Jeff returns to the Archive full-time. Argus, Feruq, Jugg and Thunk all succeeded on Perception checks to detect a shadowy creature, and by that I mean it actually looks to be made of shadowstuff. So, I rolled initiative for them, and they can act in the surprise round. After they and the enemy have done so, we'll enter normal turn order on Round One.

The reddish lines on the map indicate shelves of wine racks. The blobs and other extraneous brown stuff represent crates, barrels and boxes of various sizes tucked in the corners here and there by kitchen staff, obviously in an effort to keep the lanes open as much as possible. From where Jugg is standing, he can pretty much see the whole room, though not clearly. The shelves do a pretty good job of obstructing vision and would allow anyone hiding just on the other side a Stealth check to conceal their presence from you. We can assume both Argus and Dalvar still have their lanterns lit. The white dots mark locations on the map where doors are plainly visible. If anyone finds a secret door, I will add it to the map as well. I'm really just experimenting with how to draw up maps of interior spaces with actual walls instead of something like a cave. I don't think the next map will look like this at all, but this worked for me today so it's what I went with.

I'm doing a little bit of upkeep in the stickied threads over the next week or so, amending lists of NPCs, plot hooks, chapter synopses, etc. I'm also working on actual names for the different months and maybe even the days of the week, but that will take a little bit more time.

All right. They can't act yet, but I need initiative checks from Dalvar and Raphael now. Raphael can also roll a Knowledge (religion) check but he can't use it until he is aware of the shadow.

Edited by: MinusInnocence on 11/03/2017 - 09:18
Darker

Thunk, cautious of this supernatural and shadowy foe, steps forward (if still necessary) and takes a swing and a bite out of the thing.

Full Atk +9 melee (2d6+13/19-20/x2, greatsword +1, Power Attack) and +1 melee (1d4+4, bite, Power Attack)

Darker

Thunk will also roll. Rolling attacks are good. Sometimes. If they hit.

I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 8, 9 = 17.
I rolled 2d6+13l, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 13, 1 = 14.
I rolled 1d4+4, the result is 2, 4 = 6.
Darker

Thunk will reroll his damage, as something happened there. 2d6+13 trying again.

Damage for Greatsword
I rolled 2d6+13, the result is 5, 3, 13 = 21.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Init

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 3, 5 = 8.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Also, re reading it, I realize Thunk only gets one action. Which will be to hit the shadow with his sword.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Rolling!

aye dios mio
I rolled 1d20+6, 1d20+13, the result is 8, 13 = 21.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Are the wine shelves floor to ceiling, or half shelves?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Darker wrote:
Also, re reading it, I realize Thunk only gets one action. Which will be to hit the shadow with his sword.
Thunk is 10' away from the nearest visible enemy, but because he's going last this round, that might change before his turn comes up. If it does not, would he like to move closer instead?

Fixxxer wrote:
Are the wine shelves floor to ceiling, or half shelves?
Floor-to-ceiling, but they are quite narrow. Feruq thinks that with some effort, either Jugg, Thunk or both of them working together could easily topple one over. It would necessarily create a section of difficult terrain over the affected area wherever it falls and possibly also a fire hazard in those squares. The ceiling here is only 7' or 8' high here. You can also move diagonally around the "corner" of these pathways made up of wine racks because they take up so little space in the squares they occupy; but aren't quite so narrow that you can move into said squares and use them as cover, as with saplings in a forest setting.

Cronono wrote:
Rolling!
Cool. 21 nets you a bit of extra information about shadows, as well as all the basics about the Undead type and the incorporeal subtype. But even that is extremely useful information because I think this is the first time a creature with either of those two traits has been encountered in this campaign, and since to my knowledge this is the only Pathfinder game we've had at the Archive, maybe there's some stuff in there that would surprise a veteran D&D v3.5 player.

Paizo PRD wrote:
Traits: An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).
  • No Constitution score. Undead use their Charisma score in place of their Constitution score when calculating hit points, Fortitude saves, and any special ability that relies on Constitution (such as when calculating a breath weapon's DC).
  • Darkvision 60 feet.
  • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).
  • Immunity to bleed, death effects, disease, paralysis, poison, sleep effects, and stunning.
  • Not subject to nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Constitution, Dexterity, and Strength), as well as to exhaustion and fatigue effects.
  • Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature's Intelligence score.
  • Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
  • Not at risk of death from massive damage, but is immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points.
  • Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
  • Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
  • Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
  • Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Paizo PRD wrote:
Incorporeal Subtype: An incorporeal creature has no physical body. An incorporeal creature is immune to critical hits and precision-based damage (such as sneak attack damage) unless the attacks are made using a weapon with the ghost touch special weapon quality. In addition, creatures with the incorporeal subtype gain the incorporeal special quality.
Paizo PRD wrote:
Incorporeal (Ex) An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it takes only half damage from a corporeal source (except for channel energy). Although it is not a magical attack, holy water can affect incorporeal undead. Corporeal spells and effects that do not cause damage only have a 50% chance of affecting an incorporeal creature. Force spells and effects, such as from a magic missile, affect an incorporeal creature normally.

An incorporeal creature has no natural armor bonus but has a deflection bonus equal to its Charisma bonus (always at least +1, even if the creature's Charisma score does not normally provide a bonus).

An incorporeal creature can enter or pass through solid objects, but must remain adjacent to the object's exterior, and so cannot pass entirely through an object whose space is larger than its own. It can sense the presence of creatures or objects within a square adjacent to its current location, but enemies have total concealment (50% miss chance) from an incorporeal creature that is inside an object. In order to see beyond the object it is in and attack normally, the incorporeal creature must emerge. An incorporeal creature inside an object has total cover, but when it attacks a creature outside the object it only has cover, so a creature outside with a readied action could strike at it as it attacks. An incorporeal creature cannot pass through a force effect.

An incorporeal creature's attacks pass through (ignore) natural armor, armor, and shields, although deflection bonuses and force effects (such as mage armor) work normally against it. Incorporeal creatures pass through and operate in water as easily as they do in air. Incorporeal creatures cannot fall or take falling damage. Incorporeal creatures cannot make trip or grapple attacks, nor can they be tripped or grappled. In fact, they cannot take any physical action that would move or manipulate an opponent or its equipment, nor are they subject to such actions. Incorporeal creatures have no weight and do not set off traps that are triggered by weight.

An incorporeal creature moves silently and cannot be heard with Perception checks if it doesn't wish to be. It has no Strength score, so its Dexterity modifier applies to its melee attacks, ranged attacks, and CMB. Nonvisual senses, such as scent and blindsight, are either ineffective or only partly effective with regard to incorporeal creatures. Incorporeal creatures have an innate sense of direction and can move at full speed even when they cannot see.

Re: shadows specifically, academic consensus on the creatures is that they are the victims of other shadows. Raphael knows their touch saps the lifeforce of living victims, and the condition of being alive is enough to provoke them to violence. Because they basically look exactly like an actual shadow cast by a physical object, shadows are particularly good at remaining hidden in all environments except when brightly illuminated. This, more than anything, helps to explain why even Jugg or Thunk did not spy them through the gaps in the wine racks - if the room were pitch black, there would be no shadows for them to hide in, and it would have been plainly obvious that one of them was moving around. But a creature with darkvision can still see shadows, so it was understandably visually very confusing. Further, although no one among his current companions appears to be particularly divinely empowered, those with a special knack for channeling positive energy to harass or threaten Undead creatures have a particularly difficult time plying their skills against shadows. Raphael, with his extensive knowledge of the influence of other planes of existence on this one, believes this is because shadows are connected to the Plane of Shadow, many regions of which are infused with negative energy.

One other explanation for why the shadow remained undetected until the party made it so far into the chamber is obvious from the shadow's current location, appearing to emerge from within a stack of barrels. Being incorporeal, they can just sort of float through most objects. Indeed, it remains possible that there are other shadows in the room lurking "inside" barrels or crates, or even just on the other side of one of the walls, floor or ceiling.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Jugg is up. He's going to charge, because he can, and because it turns out he is ideally suited to do something about a barely-there wisp of an enemy which is only vulnerable to magic weapons. Power Attack seems like something he would do to open up with, too, because obviously supernatural creatures are scary and maybe it's a good idea to destroy it before it can attack him in return.

Jugg's attack (falchion +1, charge, Power Attack)
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 9, 9 = 18.
I rolled 2d4+13, the result is 3, 3, 13 = 19.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

That's a hit!

Secrets
I rolled 3d8+6, the result is 5, 7, 5, 6 = 23.
I rolled 3d8+6, the result is 6, 7, 1, 6 = 20.
I rolled 3d8+6, the result is 6, 5, 2, 6 = 19.
I rolled 3d8+6, the result is 6, 7, 1, 6 = 20.
I rolled 3d8+6, the result is 6, 2, 3, 6 = 17.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

One more roll then I'll update the IC thread. It's Argus next, I think.

Random
I rolled 1d2, the result is 1 = 1.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

My bad. Feruq is up, then Argus, then the enemy, and Thunk at the end of the surprise round.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Thunk will just wait until after the shadows have acted.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

If the shelf is open enough to see through to the other side, Feruq will thrust his light source through, perhaps hoping that light is an enemy of something that appears to be, for all intents and purposes, an actual shadow. Otherwise, he'll stay put. He's in no position to do anything useful until a few people (who are likely better at combat anyway) move.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Argus lacks a magical weapon. Jugg can handle this...Probably. In any case, Argus would like to make sure Jugg is protected from anyone coming into the room from the far side. If that's possible.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It doesn't look like Dalvar's been added to initiative. He should be immediately before Thunk and after the shadow(s).

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Dalvar and Raphael haven't been added to the count yet. When Round 1 starts, we'll fix it up right.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

So, Feruq's plan is not without merit. Fitting a torch through the racks was easy enough in a pinch, but withdrawing it deftly and swiftly without needing to drop it in a hurry will require a Legerdemain check. As a reminder, that is the skill I created to combine Escape Artist with Sleight of Hand. Feruq has a decent modifier to it and is probably the best equipped to do something like that; failing the roll will mean at the first sign of trouble, he just drops the torch instead of standing there like an idiot to be attacked for free because his arm is snaked through a hole in the wall.

Also, I totally forgot to update my notes outside of the previous IC thread before we took our most recent break. Jugg currently has 1 Dex damage and Thunk has 3 damage. Everyone else is fine. I will update this information in the combat post momentarily.

Random
I rolled 1d4, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 68 = 68.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Attack!

Attacks (Shadow 1, Shadow 2); Str damage
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 1, 5 = 6.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 2 = 2.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Thunk is up. Feruq is currently sticking his arm through the wine rack and waving the torch in the nearest shadow's face, and anyway Jugg is standing right there too. So maybe pushing the whole wall over isn't the best idea. Beyond that, though, he's standing behind everyone, so moving into the room might be just about all he can manage with his single move or standard action.

After he takes his turn, I'll add the two remaining characters to the initiative count and we can begin Round 1, with Raph at 8A and Dalvar at 8B.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Easy... Thunk delays until initiative count 40 in the new round, goes first and unleashes his full attack after stepping 5 feet. Does that get him a flank?

Darker wrote:

Thunk, cautious of this supernatural and shadowy foe, steps forward (if still necessary) and takes a swing and a bite out of the thing.

Full Atk +9 melee (2d6+13/19-20/x2, greatsword +1, Power Attack) and +1 melee (1d4+4, bite, Power Attack)

I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 8, 9 = 17.
I rolled 2d6+13, the result is 5, 3, 13 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 13, 1 = 14.
I rolled 1d4+4, the result is 2, 4 = 6.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

There is probably room for Thunk to wriggle through on this end of the shelving but it would take more than a 5' step since the square the wine rack ends at is flush with the wall. Attacking through the wine rack with Thunk's greatsword also isn't really an effective option, although hacking through it might be.

Note, however, that moving his full 40' would place Thunk next to S2 AND prevent it from taking a 5' step to flank Jugg with S1. And they only get to go one more time before Thunk would get to act at the bottom of Round 1.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

There is probably room for Thunk to wriggle through on this end of the shelving but it would take more than a 5' step since the square the wine rack ends at is flush with the wall. Attacking through the wine rack with Thunk's greatsword also isn't really an effective option, although hacking through it might be.

Note, however, that moving his full 40' would place Thunk next to S2 AND prevent it from taking a 5' step to flank Jugg with S1. And they only get to go one more time before Thunk would get to act at the bottom of Round 1.

I misspoke. Thunk is wearing Seralis' breastplate, so he can only move 30' per round. He can make it to 6B or GC but no further. However, in the event S2 flanks Jugg with S1, that would place him within a 5' step of flanking S2 with Jugg, allowing him a full attack action (raging or not) against S2.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

ALSO: I need to know what everyone thinks their character is currently carrying, equipment, carried possessions and coinage included. I want to compare that both to what we see in the Character Management stickied thread as well as the document I have saved on Google Drive, and cross-reference those numbers with a post made to the "Evils of Haranshire" IC thread where we finalized an agreement with Tauster and confirmed what everyone was keeping or selling from the treasure haul up to that point. You can either post it here or in a PM to me.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

How about if he just smashes the offending shelf that is between him and his target? Then he can easily move next round.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Solid plan. If successful, I would allow Thunk to clear a path through a 5' section of shelving while leaving the rest basically intact; doing so should make pushing what remains over onto its side, if someone else wants to attempt that.

During the surprise round, does Thunk want to apply his earlier attack and damage rolls to this attempt; or would he rather try to just make a Strength check to trash the wine rack in one roll? Also, does he want to rage before either roll?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

I'm afraid I don't know the difference between using the attack or using raw strength. He'll do whatever is more likely to clear the route the fastest. And since its attacking an object in his way, he is pretty mad about it, so he does rage.

So, I'm going to roll a Str. Whether it passes or not, use whatever would have been more mechanically sound to what Thunk wants to do (which is getting through the shelf).

Str check if that works better.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 15, 6 = 21.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Darker wrote:

I'm afraid I don't know the difference between using the attack or using raw strength. He'll do whatever is more likely to clear the route the fastest. And since its attacking an object in his way, he is pretty mad about it, so he does rage.

So, I'm going to roll a Str. Whether it passes or not, use whatever would have been more mechanically sound to what Thunk wants to do (which is getting through the shelf).

Attacking an object pretty much guarantees you will at least hit it. But when you factor in hardness and how many hit points per inch of thickness something has and all that jazz, it might make the prospect of succeeding in a single attack a little more daunting.

A Strength check usually has a pretty high DC, especially compared to how easy it is to hit something bigger than you with your sword when you're standing right next to it and it can't move out of the way. But if you succeed, that's all she wrote - the thing breaks. Obviously, the DC is typically higher depending on how big or well-crafted the item is. In this case, we're looking at a DC somewhere in the mid-20s, but if Thunk had succeeded, it would have broken with a single d20 roll; and since that's all he had to contribute during a surprise round, that's what he would have opted for.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Jugg is attacking. He'll be fighting defensively, because things are starting to get a little out of hand and the encounter just started six seconds ago. I think he will still keep the modifiers for Power Attack, at least for this next round, and using a Hero Point might not be out of the question if the roll seems high enough. This brings his bonus to hit down to +1 but he's still dealing a minimum of 12 damage if the attack goes through. Fighting defensively also gives him a +2 dodge bonus to AC.

I note also that Photobucket is asking me to cough up the dough before they will let me embed pictures here. I'll have to find another solution and start uploading there, because it would be pretty hard to run a game without visual aids of any kind.

Jugg vs S1 (falchion +1, Power Attack, Str damage, fighting defensively)
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
I rolled 2d4+10, the result is 1, 3, 10 = 14.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I'm experimenting with the use of Discord as a replacement for image hosting, forums, and dice roller. If you are interested in trying that, let me know.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

Attacking an object pretty much guarantees you will at least hit it. But when you factor in hardness and how many hit points per inch of thickness something has and all that jazz, it might make the prospect of succeeding in a single attack a little more daunting.

A Strength check usually has a pretty high DC, especially compared to how easy it is to hit something bigger than you with your sword when you're standing right next to it and it can't move out of the way. But if you succeed, that's all she wrote - the thing breaks. Obviously, the DC is typically higher depending on how big or well-crafted the item is. In this case, we're looking at a DC somewhere in the mid-20s, but if Thunk had succeeded, it would have broken with a single d20 roll; and since that's all he had to contribute during a surprise round, that's what he would have opted for.

A good example of this might be a tree. Unless you really flub things, you're going to be able to solidly hit a tree with an axe. But the tree's hardness and hit points are such that while your axe will bit down into it and possibly remove a chunk, it's probably not going to chop the tree down in a single blow unless you're Paul Bunyan, so you take several swings before it finally falls. The alternative is trying to go all-or-nothing and use your prodigious strength to simply push the tree over, like a pissed off grizzly bear.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

I note also that Photobucket is asking me to cough up the dough before they will let me embed pictures here. I'll have to find another solution and start uploading there, because it would be pretty hard to run a game without visual aids of any kind.

www.imgur.com is free.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I spoke with Ed earlier and he recommended CTRLQ, which piggybacks off Imgur but has a few other bells and whistles. But thank you, this will get us back up and running sooner rather than later.

Re: the roll, obviously it couldn't have gone much worse for Jugg this round but he still isn't going to use a Hero Point. He doesn't know how high the target number is and only adds +1 to the roll so it's not worth it (yet). Feruq is up, I think, if I can get a potential action before I update the IC thread (I don't know yet if Jugg is going to also take a 5' step but he might).

For characters who are uncertain about how to proceed, delaying until Raph can offer some insights from his Knowledge roll is a fair response. Aside from a brief jaunt through the Plane of Water this is the weirdest encounter you've had by far.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq will indeed delay.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Cronono wrote:

I'm experimenting with the use of Discord as a replacement for image hosting, forums, and dice roller. If you are interested in trying that, let me know.

I've heard of it before - I think you've referenced it here on the forums a few times. I went with Imgur because changing platforms altogether seems a little labor-intensive for just one campaign to be ported over. But I want to check it out anyway for personal use.
Fixxxer wrote:

Feruq will indeed delay.

Good plan. Argus is up. Jugg's strategy is to prevent the shadows from flanking him without provoking an attack of opportunity - if they take the bait, it will bring S2 closer to the ranger, but his options for engaging it in melee are extremely limited.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"These creatures may be chained to the room. We should push past and see if they intend to follow." Argus doesn't really have a way of dealing with these creatures - something he would like to rectify given a chance but the wine cellar doesn't look like the place to stumble upon a magical weapon.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

He's not wrong. Will he move across the room to secure an exit? There appear to be two to choose from. Argus can make it the door at K9 with a single move action, then use his standard action to try to open it, ready his action to do something else, etc.

Note, however, that our current thinking is that only Argus and Feruq have light sources (Feruq is holding a torch). Pretty much the whole room between where the rest of the party is now and the door at K9 would be illuminated at least dimly if he did that, which is good - even if it has the appearance of running off by himself deeper into the dungeon with the only lit lantern.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

That sounds good. Move to K9 and try the door.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

The door is either barred or stuck, he can't be sure which until he puts some muscle behind it. Does Argus want to use his standard action to make a Strength check, or will he begin the process of chopping it down with his sword?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Also - Feruq is of course free to jump back into the count whenever he wants after each character's actions have been resolved. He could even intercede between S1 and S2 when initiative count 12 rolls around, if he wanted to get nitty gritty with it. After he sees Argus make a beeline across the room, does he want to follow him? From his current position, Feruq can kind-of-sort-of make out what looks to be a change in architecture in the wall on that far side of the room and which very well may constitute a doorframe. That would make sense based on what Argus said before he took off running. He can easily make it over there with a double move this round, whether or not Argus has forced the door open by the time he arrives.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I'd intended to wait until we see whether Argus got the door open or not, then maybe have Feruq make a try forcing the door with a running kick, but if it's far enough away that it'll take a double move to get there, then it's moot.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Strength check (don't know my bonus)

Knock, knock
I rolled 1d20, the result is 8 = 8.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Okie dokie. That's not a great result, even with your Strength bonus. But you can try again next round.

Jugg was right - S2 is risking an AoO. S1 will delay until after S2 takes its turn. Assuming it survives, S2 will move around behind Jugg and ready a standard action to attack when S1 advances so they can both benefit from the +2 bonus this round. Technically, from that point forward, S2 will be going before S1, but since they go on the same count it doesn't really matter. Just explaining the calculations and logistics behind the curtain.

Anyway, I'll roll all of that now.

Jugg vs S2 (AoO, fighting defensively, Power Attack); S2 vs Jugg (flanking, incorporeal touch, Str damage); S1 vs Jugg (flanking, incorporeal touch, Str damage)
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
I rolled 2d4+10, the result is 1, 3, 10 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 8, 7 = 15.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 20, 7 = 27.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 6 = 6.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oof.

S1 vs Jugg (critical confirmation, Str damage)
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 15, 7 = 22.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 6 = 6.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

OK, so the good news is that Jugg is not dead. The bad news is that he only has 1 point of Strength left. His current max load is 10lbs, and he can drag up to five times that amount up to 5' as a full-round action. His armor and kilt weigh 40lbs together, so basically he would be taking off his backpack and leaving the dorn dergar. He can barely drag the falchion and shortsword with him and still come in just under the 50lb threshold but right now, that is a very unattractive option. Even if the shadows are no longer interested in attacking him, moving at all will provoke attacks of opportunity from each of them. Standing up will, too, and in either case, an AoO will benefit both from the flanking bonus as well as +4 for attacking a prone target.

So yeah. He needs help. It's Raph's turn. He is free to impart as much or as little of the results of the Knowledge (religion) check he made to the rest of the party at this time. Of special note is the bit about attacking with magical weapons.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

To confirm, Raphael can transmit 100% of the details from his knowledge check?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Probably not. Talking is a free action but a round only lasts six seconds, so maybe he wants to hit the bullet points. He might skip all the stuff about how Undead are immune to poison or energy drain, for example, unless he has drastically miscalculated the abilities of his traveling companions.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The Nose exclaims loudly and with no concern for stealth:

"Ain't got no bodies! Git 'ta them wit' magic blades!"

The contorted features of the incredibly ugly Raphael turn toward Dalvar. He switches to Infernal:

"Do not attack their bodies, and do not attack their minds. Attack with fire and force."

Raphael smiles and his demeanor shifts from panic to sardonic.

"I betcha kin already see them buggas dyin."

He laughs through a set of teeth that would politely be described as patchwork.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Okie dokie. I'll go ahead and update the IC thread after we find out what Dalvar wants to do.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

"They are already dead," Dalvar replies in Common, walking briskly north. "But we shall see if they can burn." He turns and glares at the shadow that just outflanked Jugg'r, hands clasped tightly in front of his lips, and a bar of yellowish-white fire erupts from center of his forehead towards the creature.

Augumented Energy Ray (fire): Ranged touch attack roll (twice due to magical effect--take the better result; fire damage.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 20, 2 = 22.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 5, 2 = 7.
I rolled 3d6+3, the result is 2, 3, 5, 3 = 13.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages