A Lapse In Judgment (OOC)

773 posts / 0 new
Last post
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I live dangerously.

These are the bonuses listed on my sheet; does not include any circumstantial or favored terrain bonuses.

Perception; Survival
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 6, 8 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 20, 11 = 31.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

Most forays into the woods consist of two or three individuals at a time, never exceeding ten to twelve (and these are certainly Bloodskull orcs, not the human or demihuman cultists the party has crossed swords with in the past). The most recent trek was two or three days ago but it looks like they came back two orcs short, and two more were carrying something heavy. Maybe injured comrades, maybe food, who knows?

Cannibals could kill two birds with one stone here.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

All right, let's move this along. What's the game plan? It sounds like Argus is pitching a last minute Plan B (or rather, Plan A, because it would necessarily happen first): to attack during the night instead of at first light, with the thinking being that if the fort's occupants don't shut and lock the gate at nightfall, sneaking in under cover of darkness would be a piece of cake because the front door is wide open.

The alternative plan is to wait until dawn so that the light coming from the east will help obscure line of sight for sentries on the wall. What is the final time everyone agrees on to assault Broken Spire Keep? Is there anything else we want to do or discuss before proceeding?

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Leon is indifferent and happy to move along.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq will opine that dawn might be the best time for the reasons I mentioned above. As usual, he can be swayed by a compelling argument.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Dalvar would strongly prefer to attack at dawn. But he's not prepared to knife people who come to wake him earlier than that over it, or anything.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Talanall wrote:

But he's not prepared to knife people who come to wake him earlier than that over it, or anything.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Okay, dawn it is.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Checking in - do we need anything here?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Nope. I mean I do. I need a solid day of free time to get the ball rolling here. When I'm ready I will lock these threads and create new ones for the home stretch of the current story arc.

Tentatively, that could probably happen this weekend, and it really needs to because I'm on call next week.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I thought we agreed not to tell anyone else when we were on 'booty call duty' for each other??? But let's be clear - MinusInnocence won't have free time with that being the case.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

How does he go about using up the other 23 hours and 58 minutes of the day?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Cool. As we lead into the next phase here, the rest of the evening and night passed uneventfully. Everyone is now at 100%, the last of Jugg and Feruq's ability damage having been healed.

At nightfall, the gate was shut from inside and presumably barred or locked in some way - given that there was at least a chance Feruq was imagining things when he saw movement along the top of the wall, this is the first concrete evidence that something is moving around inside there, and that it's intelligent enough to want to close the front door when the day is done.

If I understand correctly, the plan is for everyone to break from the treeline east of the keep, running as quickly as their feet will carry them. Will you try to make contact with the wall then circle around the outside until you get to the gate, or will you eschew the gate entirely now that it is closed and may also be locked or barred?

Since the objective is to clear the distance between the trees and your enemies as quickly as possible, are you running single file or side by side? And do we have final confirmation on whether the two mules are being put to use to boost Jugg and Aramil's movement speeds?

Secrets
I rolled 1d3, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d8, the result is 6 = 6.
I rolled 1d8, the result is 3 = 3.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Before you commit, I should reveal that it started raining around midnight and Argus hoped it would break before dawn, but it's close to 8am now and the clouds still haven't parted to reveal the sun overhead. It might still do the trick, just peeking over the tops of the trees from the east, but once you make it inside the fortress anyone sensitive to light inside the walls won't have any problems.

While it's raining, everyone (friend or foe) has a -4 penalty to all Perception checks and ranged attack rolls. Unprotected flames are automatically extinguished unless we're talking like a huge bonfire or something, and most lit lanterns have a 50% chance of likewise being snuffed. So all in all, this is actually a perfect time for you to attack.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

What's the plan for getting in once we get across the field? Have Feruq scamper up the wall? Have Jugg & Thunk try to break the gate? Maybe have Dalvar materialize some...thing that can unbar the gate from inside?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I like the sound of having Feruq scamper up the wall. Especially if he takes a rope with him.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Approaching from the east, what is left of the tower (in the southeast corner) will be on your left. Yesterday Feruq clocked a pile of rubble that sort of makes a kind of ramp leading up to the top of the wall there. It's been raining for hours so it may be slick, and it could also just be really delicate in terms of finding stable footing even when it's bone-dry. But for anyone who isn't strong enough to force their way in or dexterous enough that the wall presents no obstacle, scrambling up the debris could offer an alternate way in.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Talanall wrote:

I like the sound of having Feruq scamper up the wall. Especially if he takes a rope with him.

Yes, a knotted rope with a wall to brace your feet against while you climb reduces the Athletics check to DC 0. As long as someone doesn't have a -5 penalty or worse, in this case the worst that could happen is that you just fail to make progress.

Having said that, however, I did run one campaign where the PCs were in boot camp and the gnomish sorcerer dropped into negatives trying to get over a 10' wall. It took several failed checks to do so poorly, he definitely had time to stop and reevaluate his life choices.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq's feeling good again, so he's all for going over the wall and opening the gate. He lacks a rope and grappling hook. If someone wants to lend one out, he can try going over somewhere we don't see guards present. Otherwise, he'll carefully brave the ramp.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Dalvar has 50 feet of rope, but no grappling hook. Isn't the top of the wall crenellated? If so, couldn't we just tie a loop on the end of the rope, and let him slip that onto a crenel?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yes. The crenellations are mostly cosmetic, being only half as tall as an adult human; but Dalvar's proposed workaround could work in a pinch. I can report that Aramil and Argus both have grappling hooks, however. In terms of how much rope the party has at their disposal, it's a lot. Like hundreds of feet.

Can I get an Intelligence check from Feruq?

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Int Check

Int
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 20, 2 = 22.

Pages