Ignerio - IC - Scenario 1: A Game of Cat and Mouse...and Cat

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture
Ignerio - IC - Scenario 1: A Game of Cat and Mouse...and Cat

For the first time ever, Ragranaas and The Witch find themselves entering the Coliseum floor to do combat. In the hidden areas far from the fans other performers scream their encouragement. "Give them a show!". Eventually the pair enter the arena from opposite gates. Compared to the dimly-lit tunnels, the arena seems incredibly bright. Although the day is overcast and a sprinkle of rain falls they each find themselves blinking in the sun. The ringed seats are not deserted, but there are few few spectators in attendance. Given the weather, the earliness of the day, and the fact that these are unknown gladiators meant only those with nothing better to do are camped out in the seats. Seeing you arrive, you hear yells and catcalls, as the restless crowd prepares for the show to begin.

Next to the throne, which sits empty, stands an announcer. "Perhaps you have heard that cats and rats are natural enemies. But not all cats get along. We'll be seeing if these two Gladiators," and the announcer points toward one gate, "Ragranaas", and pointing to the other, "The Witch," before continuing, "can set aside their natural enmity when they find themselves hunted by a terrifying beast."

With those words, a section of the coliseum floor begins to rise - a large cage emerges from the depths. Hissing and spitting can be heard clearly as the crowd 'oohs' and 'aahs'. The cover is removed, the cage falls open, revealing a Lynx of prodigious size. Larger than a lion, the creature looks frightened...and dangerous.

Round 1

Edited by: deadDMwalking on 07/21/2021 - 11:20
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

As the cage retracts back into the floor of the coliseum, the feline paces back and forth. The creature's tufted ears rotate back and forth as baleful yellow eyes glare first one way and then the other. Then slowly, it pads between the statues lining the floor of the arena. Once it moves out of sight it is impossible to be certain where it is...or who it is targeting.

Perception, Stealth (includes penalty for moving half speed)
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 19, 13 = 32.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 1, 8 = 9.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Ragranaas moves with practiced stealth toward the nearest lion column. While the stone has been deliberately smoothed, the detailed ridges and lines provide adequate holds for an accomplished climber such as himself - he scampers up and is confident that the Lynx isn't aware of his new position...yet.

From the other side of the arena, the Witch incants a quick spell, then calls out "You don't have to do this. Maybe we can work together." To the crowd it sounds like a mewl followed by a spit and growl, but she's confident that the Lynx understands. The way the tail twitches doesn't bode well for cooperation, but the beast might be willing to seek out other prey.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Ragnaraas clambers down from the lion statue he clambered up just a moment ago. Keeping another statue between himself and the Lynx he steps out from cover, completely surprising his quarry. The blade slices behind the felines shoulder leaving a deep gash that sprays blood. The crowd cheers the blow.

Round 2

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

In reaction to the sword blow, the Lynx reaches out almost instinctively and slashes at Ragnaraas's cloak. With the combination of surprise, pain, and the wound, the claws tear the fabric but cause no harm to the rat-man.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Ragnaraas immediately follows the blow from his sword with a vicious bite from his unusually large incisors. The Lynx collapses to the arena floor, blood disappearing into the sand. Standing as close as he is Ragnaraas can see that the creature is still living, breathing shallowly.

The crowd is pleased with the display up to this point. The gates open at either end of the arena allowing The Witch and Ragnarass egress. A healer with a small crew of litter bearers moves out and recovers the Lynx.

Victory in the arena is yours.

El Primo
El Primo's picture

Ragnaraas whispers to himself. “I’m going to need a tailor for my cloak, some wine for my throat, and some coin for the blood that was spilled.” He is intent on clearing the blood from his face before speaking with anyone in particular.

El Primo / Joshua

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

With the fight over, both The Witch and Raagnaras return through the same gates they entered the arena. Moments later they join up in a large chamber below the floor of the arena. The cage that raised the Lynx into the arena is there, standing empty now.

An elderly Lumari who could almost pass for human greets you warmly. He has the faint features of a badger - a hint of a muzzle-like face, bushy eye brows, and slightly pointed ears reveal his race to those in the know. Nicodemus is well known to you, you've spent the last two weeks living in his villa where he trains a small stable of gladiators. Currently all of the gladiators in his employ are other Lumari.

"Congratulations on your first victory. May it be the first of many!" Despite his warm tone his eyes are filled with compassionate worry - he seems to be looking for any sign that the blood spilled in the arena caused any trauma. Not everyone is prepared to risk everything in a kill or be killed environment.

El Primo
El Primo's picture

Ragnaraas - “Well the big cat was a surprise. I’m just glad Mother Nature didn’t get her way. It’s not often the rat gets to take a bite out of the cat.” He smiles, “It leaves a mess.”

El Primo / Joshua

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"It is like the stories my parents use to tell me of a clever mouse always turning the tables on his hunter, and like you, with copious amounts of gratuitous violence. It is clear that you have a future here as a gladiator." Nicodemus tries to turn the conversation to The Witch. "I don't know if Ragnaraas acted too quickly or if you were reluctant to take action. The crowd and the violence - it can be overwhelming. Are you okay?"

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Since the Witch doesn't seem inclined to answer, Nicodemus sighs deeply. "Perhaps a few hours of decompression will help. We've had a new addition to our stable of warriors." Nicodemus prattles on as the group leaves the Coliseum from a nondescript building across the street from the the public entrances. The tunnel beneath the floor of the arena connects to a nearby building that allows Gladiators to enter or exit without creating a spectacle - though they can always enter through the public entrances when that is the goal. A short walk through the city and you arrive at the walled villa that is your current home.

As the gate clangs closed behind you Nicodemus leads you back to your dormitory. In the room you have shared collectively there are a dozen beds, a dozen chests - one each assigned to you. Now a third bed sits occupied - a Lumari with owl features has been 'nesting' - settling in.

"Owl Warrior, this is Ragnaraas and The Witch. I'll give you a chance to get to know each other."

El Primo
El Primo's picture

“It’s a pleasure. If I may, I would like to start. My name is Ragnaraas. I’ve never had much luck gaining insane hoards of wealth. Let’s just say that’s why I’m here; to learn.” Ragnaraas gestures toward the Witch, “Any chance that’s your real name?”

El Primo / Joshua

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"In the ring, it's worthwhile to develop a persona and stick to it - that's what really makes the crowd cheer. At the root, you're all just expendable pieces of meat fighting for the amusement of a capricious crowd until you find an act that resonates."

El Primo
El Primo's picture

“Meat, huh? If a persona is what I need to succeed then just call me ‘Meat’.”

El Primo / Joshua