A Lapse In Judgment (OOC)

649 posts / 0 new
Last post
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

MI, please roll for me.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

MI, please roll for me.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:

MI, please roll for me.

Away we goooooo
Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature); Intelligence
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 5, 6 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 11, 11 = 22.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 9, 2 = 11.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Rolling for Thunk and Jugg.

Intelligence (Jugg, Thunk), Knowledge (nature) (Thunk)
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 6, 1 = 7.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 2, -1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yeah, that sounds about right.

OK, so basically everyone but Jugg and Thunk know that the Great Rock Dale is a pretty rugged place, with steep cliffs rising up around a craggy valley. This place is only a few miles away from Kuiper's homestead so they get plenty of rainfall, but the soil isn't much good for more than the hardiest plants. Gnolls live there, owing to the presence of a thriving hyena population. They will take what they can get but dead humanoids are plentiful, since the place is lousy with goblinoids.

There isn't much worth fighting and dying over there but Aramil has deduced from everything he has heard about Haranshire in general and that place in particular that the Dale is home to the Rosestone of Sarenrae. It is a holy artifact that has thus far been unrecoverable by the church, though its healing properties are much sought after. Whichever tribe or faction that controls the Rosestone week by week jealously guards it against all rivals, using its restorative powers to keep their warriors in the fight.

It is certainly the kind of place that only experienced explorers should brave unless escorted by a ranger like Kuiper.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Spellcraft

Spellcraft (specialist), then Spellcraft, both vs. DC 22. Then the same vs. DC 17
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 9, 15 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 3, 13 = 16.
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 2, 15 = 17.
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 5, 13 = 18.
One more, vs. DC 17
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 4, 13 = 17.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Those were some pretty terrible rolls but Dalvar has major book smarts so he soldiers through it.

All right, unless anyone had anything else to contribute, we will move on.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

It is now the 2nd day of Qaden (Fivemonth), 24 days since Jelenneth's abduction and 26 days since the campaign began.

[b]CURRENT STATUS[/b]

Aramil - 100%
Argus - 100%
Dalvar - 100%
Feruq - 100%
Jugg - 9 Strength damage.
Leon - 100%
Thunk - 100%
Puck - 100%

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Rolls

Feruq, Jugg, Thunk
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 16, 10 = 26.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 1, 7 = 8.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 5, 6 = 11.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Aramil and Feruq know the skies will be clear for the next few days but on 5.5, there should be steady rain from midnight until early morning and a thunderstorm that evening and lasting for several hours. I don't know HOW they know that, but Survival says what it says.

So, encounters (scripted or random) aside, the party needs to plan to be somewhere safe and dry three nights from now.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

We've been SERIOUSLY effed over by storms in the past. I think we'll likely be diligent as hell about finding shelter.

Darker

Where are we supposed to be going next anyway?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Fixxxer wrote:

We've been SERIOUSLY effed over by storms in the past. I think we'll likely be diligent as hell about finding shelter.

On that note, if I could get Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (nature) and Survival checks from everyone, that would be great. If you don't have any ranks in Survival you can roll a Wisdom check.
Darker wrote:
Where are we supposed to be going next anyway?
I think tentatively the plan was to check in with Kuiper and Tauster (Kuiper isn't here and Tauster is leaving unexpectedly this morning after his discussion with Dalvar), then cross the river and head south along the Hog Brook into the Thornwood again. But this time, instead of stopping at the Reflecting Pool or talking to the kobolds, I think the plan is to move ahead and try to find an abandoned keep the Bloodskull orcs are operating out of.

There are a handful of other open plot hooks, including a few compelling reasons to return to Parlfray Keep and either exorcise the spirits there/find Gideon/both. But engaging the orcs seems like the most obvious next step.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

This is the knowing things half

Knowing Natural things, Knowing Geographic things, Knowing when to stop drinking
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 12, 8 = 20.
I rolled 1d20+8, 1d20+0, the result is 19 = 19.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Did I miss a semi-colon?

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Nature then Survival

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 12, 5 = 17.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 9, 7 = 16.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Cronono wrote:

Did I miss a semi-colon?

Not sure what happened there. Can I get another 1d20+8?

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Replacement

Carthage must be destroyed
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 3, 8 = 11.
Darker

Checks

nature; surviving
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 18, 3 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 8, 6 = 14.
Darker

Thunk knows the most.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I shot Jeff a message a day or two ago to let him know we were moving on but in the interim, I will roll for him.

Survival
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 10, 7 = 17.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Stayin' alive?

Survival
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 6, 1 = 7.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Rolling that beautiful bean footage

Knowledge (geography); Knowledge (nature); Survival
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 16, 2 = 18.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 2, 6 = 8.
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 9, 10 = 19.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Knowledge Geography +6, Knowledge Nature +11, Survival +11

Geography, Nature, Survival
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 10, 6 = 16.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 2, 11 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 13, 11 = 24.
Darker

Thunk remains the knowing nature champion!

Darker

Thunk remains the knowing nature champion!

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

A few days ago, it occurred to Argus when it was really coming down in buckets that the region has become particularly saturated since the party's arrival in Haranshire. He is most concerned about the Churnett River that flows from west to east through the province and the risk of it spilling over its banks. The town of Milborne will probably be OK, but across the river where the refugees from Thurmaster are encamped is a different story. A few days in a row of steady rain and they might find themselves washed out, or at least waterlogged, and their living conditions are already not great.

Elsewhere along the river, traveling from Milborne to Kuiper's homestead may become challenging at a time when there are more people than ever before making the trip both ways. This a seasonal thing here, but a lot of gears are turning all at once to create a potential natural disaster. The best case scenario would be a week of it only raining for a few hours at a time each day and no truly violent weather.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

But there will be violent weather, won't there?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:

But there will be violent weather, won't there?

You're looking at a thunderstorm in 3 days. If that happened for two or three days in a row everyone along the river would need to plan for the worst. That this is all happening right when the PCs are being pulled in a dozen different directions at once is probably just a hilarious coincidence.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Thank you for rolling for me. I am catching up on things now.

Two things I appreciated greatly in the IC were, "Thunk doesn't answer but instead narrows his eyes in suspicion at Aramil, considering that maybe Aramil is a bad magic man. After all, that's exactly the kind of question a bad magic man might ask," from Darker

AND Cody Fuckin Jinks, Hippies and Cowboys (one of my favorites of all time) in the update. God bless ye.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Aramil can attempt a Heal check to make his own diagnosis.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Slip em down, this won't hurt much!

I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 5, 15 = 20.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Physically, Jugg appears fine, but based on his description of his condition it sounds like he probably has Strength or Constitution damage (and because there aren't any obvious sounds, the source may have been supernatural).

There isn't much Aramil can do about that except offer long-term care over the course of a day or longer to expedite the healing process.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Would lesser restoration cure some of the ability damage?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

It would. Aramil has a Zoom meeting scheduled with Sarenrae this morning if he would like to bring that issue up with HQ.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Unless there was a meeting scheduled without his knowledge, which is ALWAYS a possibility, Aramil already had his meeting. There is always tomorrow.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

In the meantime, Jugg is already recovering as if he was spending 24 hours a day in bed, thanks to his [i]bandages of rapid recovery[/i]. So he's healing 2 Strength points per day. If Aramil provides long-term care, he can double that; not only is it mathematically impossible for you to fail that Heal check, two mornings from now Jugg would only have 1 Strength damage remaining. That's without casting any spells at all.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Let's definitely do that. Having the fighter be so shit at fighting is really cramping my style. Good for Aramil and Jugg to bond too.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Tentatively, the choices that lay before the party are as follows:

1. Decide whether Leon and Aramil are going to join the Heroes. They have each made overtures to that effect and the Darrow bargemen are quickly finishing their checklist to push off this morning and head back to Blackstar. It doesn't sound like Tauster is going to be riding with them, but the party has personally witnessed him [i]teleporting[/i] so he probably has some tricks up his sleeve.

In their favor, the two strangers interceded to help the Heroes resolve the bar brawl before it turned violent. They also apparently come pre-packaged with seals of approval from Gordrenn, who initially sent the Heroes to Haranshire; Tauster, whose reputation here is beyond reproach; and Priscilla Darrow, whose word is likewise as good as gold in the region. It may be worth asking WHY they want to join the party, but they have pretty airtight references.

2. Commit to returning to Parlfray Keep (exorcising the haunting/searching the basement for Gideon/confirming the late Count, who is now a ghoul, remains locked in his cell); finding Broken Spire Keep (located in the Thornwood, this is the most likely point of access to the Bloodskull Orc tribal domain and may also offer clues to the whereabouts of any remaining cultists); investigating the New Mire (this almost certainly means waging war against the blue-skinned goblins, but potentially solves the riddle of rising flood waters and also frees up resources allocated by Mayor Carman to police the region); or some other pressing issue.

If the party agrees to accept Leon and Aramil and also wants to press forward to Broken Spire Keep, this means leaving their mounts at Kuiper's homestead, crossing the river, following the Hog Brook south to the Reflecting Pool, then continuing south until they find what they're looking for. If they could fly, it would probably be pretty easy to find, but they can't. Sorry. Maybe they will meet the Wild Woman of the Woods again and she can point them in the right direction.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'm fine with anyone joining with us for as long as they like. We've had people hang out for a couple of days then find that the adventuring life isn't for them. As for what to do now, I'd really like to resolve the plot hook with the kidnappers, but I'm not sure what will give us the most progress toward that, so I'm good with anything.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Jugg is definitely good with Aramil joining and doesn't have objections to Leon.

I am with Brett. I want to personally resolve the plothook with the kidnappers and Jugg is hell-bent on finding his cousin Snagg. My vote is whatever puts us closest to that direction. Solving other sde quests along the way is a bonus.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq won't mind Aramil or Leon joining up. They're not bubbling with optimism and enthusiasm like some other potential joiners. And they're not obviously necromancers. He's not likely to be all handshakes and "welcome to the team, champ" about it, but that's because he's in a mood, not because he (or I) doesn't want them there.

As I recall (and please remember it's been literally years in real time), the most obvious direction we have for Jelenneth's potential whereabouts is in the Thornwood. And survivors of the diabolic cult we ran across probably went to the Thornwood after clashing with Gideon. And the Thornwood presents an opportunity for Thunk be become an actual, legitimate, real-life king. So while we've got a handful of other dangling plot threads, it seems like the Thornwood is probably the most likely destination for us to potentially wrap up the most and the the most-dire of our objectives. The Thornwood would probably be a better spot to weather the coming storm than somewhere else out in the open.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I agree. Best place to be during a lightning storm is under the tallest tree you can find!

[size=1]That is not true in real life.[/size]

My vote is for the Thornwood.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

I will third that: Thornwood vote from me.

Darker

Thunk remembers something was important that had to do with the Thornwood and that other place was full of bad magic. Thunk votes for Thornwood. Also, those two seem okay, Thunk figures they can come.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Just over a month and a week of silence now. Everything good with everyone? Any tentative plans to get this moving?

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

drumandfight wrote:

Just over a month and a week of silence now. Everything good with everyone? Any tentative plans to get this moving?

No, everything isn't really good at all. But I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have lots of ideas for a new competition (or series of competitions), too. It's just been bonkers for me lately.

I will say that two months ago when I started my new job, I entered training for certification in two applications. To accomplish that, I took a shit ton of classes and now have to complete one project and one final exam for each. As of yesterday afternoon, I have knocked two of those four objectives off the list, and hope to get the other two squared away by this time next week.

This is all happening at a time when we're dramatically escalating Collin's homeschool curriculum and extracurricular activities and while I'm looking for an apartment. And... dating again? It's all a mess.

But I'm still alive, I promise.

"Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists." - H.L. Mencken

Pages