A Lapse In Judgment (OOC)

588 posts / 0 new
Last post
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

With Thunk wading in, I'll back that play.

Init 23 (+7)

Init
I rolled 1d20, the result is 16 = 16.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Fixxxer wrote:
For example, if someone gets two attacks per round will a full action and rolls a 4 for damage with the first and a 2 for damage with the second against the same opponent, does that succeed? Alternately, if the same PC rolls damage 5 against two separate opponents, does that succeed twice?
In your first example, the character would fail both times. In the second, he succeeds twice.
Darker wrote:
Question -- does Thunk's cleave feat give him an advantage on skill checks? It would normally allow him to subdue two brawlers who are engaged with each other (hitting both, as they would be adjacent to each other while they were brawling).
I think because we won't be using an actual battlemap during this encounter (unless the party loses and you just enter combat against the mob by default), I would ask that you first make an Acrobatics or Athletics check to represent Thunk maneuvering into position. Not only would this set him up for a Cleave attempt the following turn, it would also net him a +2 bonus on the attack roll.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

@drumandfight, you've got mail. Also, I need an initiative roll from you (after reading that PM) and @Talanall.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Right, sorry.

Initiative
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 2, 5 = 7.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Right now, we're looking at the top of Round 1 of the skill challenge. You need 10 successes before you fail 3 primary checks or attacks, but you're starting with 3 and depending on what Jugg does, you may get an automatic extra success next turn. We'll proceed without @drumandfight and let him jump in when he's ready.

@deadDMwalking, Argus is up.

INITIATIVE

Argus - 23
Leon - 18A
Thunk - 18B
Dalvar - 7
Feruq - 4

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Apologies. As I told Matt and Mike, with my WFH schedule and gaming in general, I have grown so used to getting pings on LINE or Discord for my PbP games from GMs that I am woefully out of shape when it comes to checking the site daily - especially this site. I will get back into a more regular schedule.

Mike - make this make sense to me one more time. I can only get that additional success IF i venture in to actually start fighting? Or can I just call out what I know based on that sense motive check to help the party start off with the additional success. Like I said in the email, as much as I want to get in and fight, that strength damage has still taken a hefty toll. Dying over baby momma drama would be a lackluster end to the most badass dwarf that ever lived**

**Citations needed.

Initiative
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 15, 2 = 17.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

You can absolutely add the extra success just by participating in the encounter. You don't need to take any primary actions at all; the caveat here is that if the party fails the challenge, everyone who didn't just decide to leave before it started will roll initiative again and we'll resolve it as an actual combat.

I will add Jugg's 17 to the initiative line-up.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Beautiful. Yeah, Jugg isn't going to leave any of his comrades high-and-dry. Cheers.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Wait a second, if we fail the challenge, we get combat? Talk about win/win.

I'm going for the Athletics check to give someone else a +2 on a primary skill.

IC: After having looked over the crowd, Argus had identified the ring leader. Moving behind him he points him out to Thunk and gets ready to hold his arms while Thunk puts his lights out.

Athletics
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 1, 10 = 11.
drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Forgot to add an IC. Apologies.

IC: Jugg'r noticed the body language before hearing any words exchanged. He nods to get the others attention and gestures to the men. The three were arguing over paternity; typical wee lass-momma-drama. He still felt unwell, but that was just tough shit. He'd never desert his comrades.

Darker

Well, Thunk's gonna start bashing heads. Cause he doesn't really see a more diplomatic way to do it.

Athletics
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 14, 9 = 23.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

A man in an overcoat stands up as the belligerents draw the attention of the crowd. The man's brown stubble is as ragged as his tousled hair and his blue garb matches many of the other stevedores and rivermen present. Peculiarly, the chest button on his overcoat is open and a rather ugly mutt's head is sticking out. The dog is quite small, no bigger than a buckler, with grey matted fur and lips that don't quite close over a crooked grin. The dog's cloudy eye on the left side doesn't match its brown partner on the right. Adding to the pathetic creature's plight, its lower jaw is not set properly and one canine tooth frames an eternally lolled tongue on the left side.

The man steps toward the altercation and looks at each of the two stevedores causing a ruckus in turn. "Davos. Ammon." The man barks as only a sergeant can. "Your orders were to play cards and smack the shit out of anyone we do business with, so why aren't you smacking anyone?" The man's voice makes it clear he views himself as the superior of Davos and Ammon.

"We weren't ordered to play cards and smack people, Leon." Davos spends more time looking at Leon's chestdog than Leon's face.

Leon keeps staring at Davos while his chestdog pants.

Intimidate
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 15, 15 = 30.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

OK, so the initiative count (including Jugg) looks like this:

Argus - 23
Leon - 18A
Thunk - 18B
Jugg - 17
Dalvar - 7
Feruq - 4

At the top of Round 1, the party was sitting on 4 successes. Argus and Thunk have each made secondary skill checks resulting in +2 bonuses and Leon made a primary check using Intimidate to get some of his colleagues to stand down. On Jugg's turn, the party is already halfway to victory and hasn't failed any rolls yet.

Jugg has a few options here. He could make an Acrobatics or Athletics check to add another +2 bonus to the pot. If he fails, no biggie, it won't move the needle at all. He could apply either +2 or +4 (nabbing the bonuses from both Argus and Thunk's successful rolls) to his own attack roll, Legerdemain, Disarm or Steal check and try to snatch a weapon away from one of the brawlers. He could also roll something like Perception, Sense Motive or even a skill like Knowledge (local) to try and figure something out about the people fighting that may be helpful for another PC later on in the encounter. He could even try Intimidate, following on the heels of Leon's fantastic roll: Jugg's bonus is pretty solid for that skill, too.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Given his state, I think aiding with the Intimidation to keep them well frightened is the way to go.

Intimidate
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 18, 10 = 28.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Fantastic roll. The party has 6 successes and 0 failures. I will post everyone's IC descriptions of their actions at the top of Round 2.

@Talanall, you're up.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Please sir, don't take out your cock! I don't think we can take it!"

Talanall
Talanall's picture

IC: Dalvar doesn't bother to get up. Instead, the wiry little mage raises his voice and calls, "Gentlemen, you are not in an inn. You are in the home of a loyal subject of the Count of Haranshire. It would be good manners, as well as better for your health, if you stepped outside right now. I suggest you settle your differences somewhere other than under this roof, because if blood is shed or you damage Kuiper's property, the Count will be forced to take an interest in you."

Diplomacy
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 11, 7 = 18.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

IC of Jugg metaphorically hangin' brain:

Grumpy was an understatement. Jugg'r was still on the mend and hadn't seen his friends in some time. This was supposed to be their moment to catch up, throw back an amount of beer reminiscent of the great Booza-Palooza he and Thunky had battled in some time before, and revel in victories past and ahead.

And no one, the least of which these cry baby assholes, would stop that. He climbed atop a chair and said nothing. He was shitless save for the bandages, donning only his armored kilt, ferocious beard, and filthy mohawk. He made sure they made eye contact with him. He wanted them to know he saw them and that they were about to fuck up beyond belief. The tension building was such that they should have been able to hear his Dwarfhood swinging heavily between his legs.

Jugg'rnaut of Clan Shieldcrusher, Hero of Haranshire, Dwarf of War was not happy.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Solid. At this point, the DCs for Diplomacy and Intimidate have both increased, but thus far the party has 7 out of 10 successes with zero failures.

@Fixxxer, you're up. Is it time for kung fu fighting? Is there a flurry of blows in someone's future? You are welcome to claim one or both of the +2 modifiers already banked by secondary skill checks.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Aramil, much closer to the fray than the others, stands up to get a few steps away from the folks causing such a ruckus.

"Come on, let's end this this nonsense. Let us not end the day in this manner. Surely we can come together over drinks?"

Initiative, Diplomacy
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 4, 5 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 19, 8 = 27.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

That's a success, even with the raised DC for Diplomacy. Let's say Aramil delayed until after Dalvar to see what the Heroes he has heard so much about would do here, so we'll add him to the count at 7B instead of 9. The party now has 8/10 successes and zero failures.

@Fixxxer, the stranger with the tiny dog poking out from under his coat seems to know the two main antagonists in this encounter. The two men bear a strong family resemblance and he has never seen either of them before; it seems likely they came in on the latest barge. If he could put them down before anyone in the crowd actually hurts each other, this scuffle would be over before it starts.

Alternatively, he has pretty high modifiers in several of the secondary skills. He might also have some other idea not listed in the encounter description that we could roll.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

I love this mental image of the party just about to settle this with hard stares, diplomatic words, and logic...

...and then a rapid flurry of face kicks from the Kung-Fu Sheik out of left field.

Also, who TF is Aramil? I went through the character sheets to see if there ere any new faces I hadn't encountered and didn't see him. @BoardRider can you give me some deets? Is there anyone else?

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

I make PCs that are good for being killed by DMs or that turn on the party. Occasionally, a PC or two that hinders the party.

That's about all I can offer at the moment.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

drumandfight wrote:
Also, who TF is Aramil? I went through the character sheets to see if there ere any new faces I hadn't encountered and didn't see him. @BoardRider can you give me some deets? Is there anyone else?
Aramil and Leon are the only new characters joining the roster at the moment but updating the Characters post is pending a few more PMs between us. I have added them to the list of PCs at the top post of the "Important Stuff" sticky, however.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

@Fixxxer, the stranger with the tiny dog poking out from under his coat seems to know the two main antagonists in this encounter. The two men bear a strong family resemblance and he has never seen either of them before; it seems likely they came in on the latest barge. If he could put them down before anyone in the crowd actually hurts each other, this scuffle would be over before it starts.

Feruq's first thought would normally be something other than throwing the first punch. But given the obviousness of which ones are the antagonists, he's going to try to put them down before this gets any worse. He's going to use a flurry of blows to make an unarmed attack against both of them. The damage will be non-lethal for both, and the first attack will also be a Stunning Fist attempt (DC 18 to resist). He'll take both of the +2 modifiers that have been established in the encounter thus far, applying one to each of his two attacks.

Attack; Damage; Attack; Damage
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 20, 7 = 27.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 6, 7 = 13.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Critical confirmation roll & potential extra damage.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 18, 7 = 25.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 1, 2 = 3.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Feruq is also going to use a Her Point to add +4 to the second attack roll, bringing the total up to 17.

After he punches them both (hopefully) in the chest... hard, he'll announce to the entire establishment in a take-no-shit voice "BE SITTING DOWN!"

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Congratulations, everyone. The XP & GP thread has been updated: everyone has gained 465XP. 265 of this is from completing the challenge and a bonus of 100 more for each qualifying condition on top: completing the challenge in a single round and doing so without rolling a single failure. There was a potential third 100 XP bonus award for doing so without making any attack rolls, but that would have been exceedingly unlikely since it would have probably meant Argus, Thunk or both making social skill checks instead of secondary rolls to build up bonuses; and if they had done so, by the time Dalvar's turn rolled around, the DC for Diplomacy checks would have likely increased, meaning his sub-20 roll would be a failure.

Still, this was pretty flawless, except for Ammon's face. Talk amongst yourselves; Tauster barely noticed trouble brewing and has already sat back down. I imagine the Heroes are probably interested to at least learn the names of those who lent a hand.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Yeah. YEAH! Fight-startin' bitches. See whachu get?!

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Anyone with ranks in Knowledge (local) or (nobility) can roll now.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Dalvar's practically an honorary local, at this point. I dunno how he actually feels about that.

Knowledge (local)
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 20, 9 = 29.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Dalvar recognizes the name Darrow. Actually, he knows pretty much everything there is to know about the families that make up the Exchange here in Haranshire (at least what appears in that entry in the "Cultural Spotlight" sticky). This man with the dog hiding in his jacket seems to be suggesting he is a business associate or employee of Priscilla Darrow, and Dalvar also pieced together that he arrived with the latest barge crew. That probably means he is involved with the family's operations in Blackstar, so Leon almost certainly has a personal relationship with Gordrenn the Street King (who first contracted the PCs to deliver a package of spell components to Tauster).

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, the totals in the XP and GP thread are all catawumpus. Dalvar's total as of Feb 6 2019 started at 11085 XP. Add 800 the next day, and he's at 11885, add 800 more on July 1 2019 for the wasps, and he's at 12685, which accords with my most recent notes. 465 XP increases this total to 13,150, placing us 1,850 XP away from reaching 6th level.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I thought they looked weird last night but got sidetracked after posting. I will clean it up after lunch.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

All right, the totals should be better now. The roster is a little spread out in terms of XP but it all comes out in the wash. The way I balance encounters is to try to zero in on the average party level, then base Challenge Ratings for creatures and traps on that number. What that means is that even though we have 7 characters instead of 4 or 5, and even though you all have Hero Points and Traits (not to mention 25 points to purchase ability scores), the highest level threats don't exceed what your character sheet says your level is. There may be more of those threats on the board at one time, but we don't want to end up in a scenario where a party of 8 1st level characters squares off against creatures with damage reduction or regeneration or something wild like that.

So even though Jugg, for example, is quite a bit behind, as the APL increases there is just more XP up for grabs, and he should be able to close the gap (because the threshold he needs to reach is so much lower than the one the highest level characters in the party are aiming for). There is also the possibility that we have a different kind of encounter where Jugg grabs the lion's share of the reward and closes the gap even faster.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

@drumandfight, you are correct. Feruq has politely declined every offer of alcohol as long as Jugg has known him.

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

I love it.

Pages