Chapter 17: A Small-Town Girl (OOC)

570 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

I've interpreted Chuul's action to mean that he's delaying. Alannah is up.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Alannah is 50-50 considering appealing and using diplomacy to convince the nagas that Avar is mentally handicapped or attacking Avar to get this over with minimum fuss and additional casualties. She'll delay until after his action has resolved to eliminate the chance he has of mucking up either option before she decides which one is the best.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

On his next turn, Oskav will call down Baldr to land on his shoulder and spend a move action to hobble 2 squares northwest, away (hopefully) from the invisible naga. He will spend his standard action to ready see invisibility to be cast once Baldr is safely perched.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

What's Garren doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I assume Garren has everything packed up nicely. He'll call Celene over and mount up with the gear. Let me know when that's done - not sure if it's a couple of rounds.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes, it will be at least a couple of rounds, between picking up his stuff, calling her, her actual response, etc.

In the meantime, what's Avar doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

If I am understanding the posts correctly Kya backed away and then ran once out of the fog.

If that is the case he will continue to move back 10' as a double move. If more movement is possible he will move straight back to the maximum allowable movement.

HVB
HVB's picture

I forgot to mention, but i just returned from SG. Didn't miss anything :) maybe in the new year. Hope everything is ok.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, I think the Real World has finished beating the dog shit out of me. We'll take a couple of days for this to reach everyone who's playing, and then I'll get us back in motion.

Please accept my heartfelt apologies for the disruption of play.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

You got to do what you got to do.

HVB
HVB's picture

I'm still here. Almost stuck in cn but all good now & not going anyplace for awhile. Glad you are doing better :)

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

My man!

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Glad you're okay Tal. I missed you.

Making this encounter simply go away would go a long way in alleviating the pain I felt during your absence.

Thank you for your consideration buddy.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Roll for Garren

Handle Animal (untrained Cha, ranger bonus applied)
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

All business, I like that.

HVB
HVB's picture

What is the dot 10ft SW of Alannah?
(If I knew before I don't remember now)

Talanall
Talanall's picture

HVB wrote:

What is the dot 10ft SW of Alannah?
(If I knew before I don't remember now)

It is a tree. Details about how those behave in terms of game mechanics are available in one of the paragraphs immediately following the image.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB
HVB's picture

Thanks. Some shades of brown look purple to me (like that one) so I wanted to be sure.

HVB
HVB's picture

"It is currently Chuul's turn. Alannah is delaying..."

Just putting that out there... either of them doing something?

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Oh, shit!

Chuul will continue delaying. He's hoping the nagas back off when they see that the problem seems to be resolving itself. If they press the issue and start attacking or throwing attack spells around, then he'll probably feel the need to do something about that.

If he makes it out of this alive, Avar might have to worry about Chuul kicking his ass.

Darker

Alannah readies an action to bitch slap Avar.

HVB
HVB's picture

Kya moves into the square of the aforementioned tree on her turn.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

HVB wrote:

Kya moves into the square of the aforementioned tree on her turn.

Is she going to climb it? If so, let's go ahead and get a Climb check for her (DC 15). A success will allow her to get up to 10 feet up the tree. If you want to accept a -5 penalty on the check, she can potentially climb up to 25 feet above ground.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB
HVB's picture

Ok she will give it a shot with the penalty to go as far as she can

Climb @ +13, or +8 with penalty
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 20, 8 = 28.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Looks like she literally ran up the trunk Looney Tunes style.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

After that ridiculous jump kick she did against the arrowhawk I assumed just leaping up to grab one of the higher branches, the way Leonidas climbs the clifff in 300, would work just as well. But apparently she's good at everything she does.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Except having a normal conversation.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well, that's something you don't see every day.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Alannah uses her turn to glare scornfully at Avar.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Yeah, but she has 'scornful glare' as an ability that lets her do it as a Swift Action (even on other people's turns). What's she DOING while disapproving?

Darker

She gets a +10 scorn bonus if she takes the whole round to do it.

HVB
HVB's picture

I'm looking forward to the aftermath

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

HVB wrote:

I'm looking forward to the aftermath


Me too.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolling for Garren

Handle Animal
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 7, 3 = 10.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Glad Celene doesn't quite have enough sense not to ALSO approach slightly closer to the Nagas.

HVB
HVB's picture

So we are waiting to see if Avar starts anymore trouble.
Or if the nagas use those stones to summon ancient demons to kill the party, as Kya is pretty sure they will if given the time

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I think Alannah and Chuul probably are watching to see if Avar starts more trouble.

The nagas' reasons for being involved in this nonsense aren't something I feel like I can speak freely about, but it's good that someone is wondering.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar walks back towards the group, looking back intermittently, towards the rocks and the fog patch.

Stopping to look at the semi-assembled group Avar offers, "Well, I do not sense they're evil. So that's good. But they certainly are intriguing."

With that, Avar moves to follow Oskav.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oskav will take this lull in potentially hostile activity to book it back to the horse. He will spend as many turns as is necessary getting all of his stuff together then mounting up; assuming the rounds between now and then aren't marred by anybody doing something aggressive. Like if any of us has to make a saving throw, it's on like Donkey Long; or if one of us loses his or her nerve and attacks the nagas, Oskav will stop what he's doing in favor of nuking something. Otherwise, I think we need to mosey on down the road.

HVB
HVB's picture

Unless Chuul makes an aggressive action, Kya remains in the tree watching for the missing naga and is ready to kick its scales down its throat if it shows up in their campsite while everyone is packing.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

If the nagas do anything drastic, Chuul isn't opposed to making an aggressive action. If they seem content to let us go, he's happiest just leaving, though he might have to walk for a few minutes until the enlarge person spell wears off.

Darker

Ditto for Alannah. She's for attacking them, attacking Avar, scowling, or whatever happens. If the nagas back down and Avar doesn't do something else stupid, she'll back away with the others.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Well hopefully you didn't do anything to accept a geas or debt toward them."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Hi, folks. As has been a recurring pattern when I try to make plans lately, I was unexpectedly called away. My wife was obliged to meet with the state attorney general's office (she's a potential witness in a matter under investigation). She's not a victim or suspect, and neither is anyone whose welfare matters to us on a personal level. We're both fine, albeit stressed out.

Again, please accept my apologies. I won't promise that we won't be subject to further disruptions, because that isn't something I have any control over. But let's get back to the game anyway.

My understanding is that in the next update, Chuul will make what action he can in pursuit of leaving the area peacefully. Kya will remain in her tree, and readying an action to drop an Atomic Elbow on any naga within reach of her who decides to resume hostilities. And Oskav is planning to get his things packed onto his horse, mount up, and follow Chuul.

Is that all correct?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB
HVB's picture

Yes, looks correct to me.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

If we're mounting up then Avar will need to go nut to butt with Chuul on Sir Fluffernutter. That is if Chuul reduces to normal size and allows Avar to do so.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Sounds correct to me.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Yes. I agree. We should continue to attempt to disengage until/unless we are directly attacked in an obvious way. And maybe even then...

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

No way am I getting on this fuckin' horse without a saddle.

Darker

If the show is over, Alannah is packing up and heading out with the others. She does try to coax the girl from the tree, "Kya, come down from there. They won't attack our backs, they are compelled only to guard this place. They wouldn't have attacked at all had Sir Rocks-for-brains not blatantly done the opposite of what they requested."

Pages