Public Service (OOC)

257 posts / 0 new
Last post
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Must of been how he planned to escape. Obviously.

Bluff
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 4, 4 = 8.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Eh, I'm not worried about it.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Do we even know if this is the right smuggler?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Without getting into a long, convoluted discussion about epistemology, I think we can at least say that Voitto was pretty explicit that he wanted you to prevent the warehouse's manager (who apparently is the ringleader of this supposed smuggling operation that's running in the basement of the warehouse) from escaping.

This guy may or may not be management material. In fact, he looks like a common thug—working-class clothes, a studded leather jerkin, visibly armed, etc. But then again, he's a smuggler. So maybe the dress code is looser. Anyway, he was definitely escaping. If he's not a manager, then maybe that's a problem for the Satrap's Guard. You made (or at least, you are making) sure he didn't get away, and he's alive. If he isn't the warehouse manager, then probably the warehouse manager is still in the warehouse, getting beaten around the face and neck by the Satrap's Guards. If he is the warehouse manager, then mission accomplished. Partially, anyway.

I say "partially" because Voitto also was pretty clear about this thing where he wanted it to look like you were just concerned citizens who were in the right place at the right time. It was important enough to him that he talked about it specifically, and made you come up with a cover story.

He also made Cragar repeat what was supposed to happen (see here: https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/33158#comment-33158) to make sure everyone understood it.

One of the salient points was that you were supposed to make this look totally innocent, like you were upstanding citizens who pitched in to assist the authorities when crime interrupted your lawful business in the vicinity.

Anyway, I think Cragar's going to delay again this round. What's Gruum doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

It's a good thing we went over it so many times, because Gruum's first instinct was to club the guard.

Gruum turns to face the guard, "We's-a-just mindin' our own business and this guy comes a-runnin' through the alley like he's up to no good. Don't know these other fella's but it looks like just a group of concerned citizen's is all." Gruum nods toward the fleeing man, "You lookin' for this guy? Want me to help make sure he don't try to pull nothing and comes on quiet like with you? Always glad to do my civic duty and all." Gruum does his best to look like the upstanding citizen that he is not.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Could you roll a Bluff check, please, Darker?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Well, he's not really lying -- they are just trying to help apprehend this guy.

bluff
I rolled 1d20, the result is 5 = 5.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

People believe what they want to believe. Even if he KNOWS we're lying, there's so much more paperwork and less promotion if he doesn't just haul this guy in.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Faust looks at the guard plainly and says, "This man came running fast as he could down the alley way. We heard the guards' whistles. I was standing here, and seemed the least I could do was help the guard catch him. I haven't hurt him in any way." Faust holds his hands out to his sides to show he isn't even carrying a weapon.

Since all of that is true, I don't think I need a bluff check.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I have returned. You probably didn't notice because Cragar didn't say anything.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I don't need any further rolls for Gravington, but it's his turn. If he wants to talk his way out of this, he'll need to keep talking. If he can come up with something that's especially plausible or compelling, then that may afford him a bonus on his otherwise less than stellar Bluff check.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Let's make the situation worse!

Gravington uses psionic charm.

"You are a most discerning and intelligent officer. It was unwise of me to try to mislead you. The real truth is that we were advised of your operation and wanted to see the action go down. We weren't trying to get in your way, but things went sideways. Fortunately you were quick enough to salvage this operation."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Roll.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 9, 1 = 10.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Fricka is up.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Fricka continues to move in the direction of the leather warehouse. The others convincing the guard not to arrest them aside, we did (-ish) what we came to do. She's gonna get down and get gone.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Is she going for speed, or stealth?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Stealth, please. Move Silently roll attached, if it's required.

Move Silently
I rolled 1d20, the result is 3 = 3.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

Listen, with distance penalties
I rolled 1d20-7, the result is 7, -7 = 0.
I rolled 1d20-2, the result is 20, -2 = 18.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 2, -1 = 1.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

More delay. Sorry for being the delay.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It's not really a problem.

What's Gruum doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Gruum is going to do something really smart or really stupid.

Gruum shrugs, mostly ignoring the guards statement, "So, you want me to just let 'm keep goin'?" Guesturing toward the guy and move as if he is going to unblock the passage for the man to run through and grumbles, "Though you wanted this guy to stop is all. But if you're just inspectin' roofs and all I'll let 'm go."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, people. I'm going to try to get us back on track from our unplanned hiatus. Please bear with me for another couple of days, and we'll get moving.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Woohoo! I checked this on a whim, and I'm glad I did.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Also, you at some point switched Gruum and Faustus on the map. Blue 5 (Faustus) was the one standing right next to the smuggler, since Faust knocked him down.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

So, uh. What's Faustus doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

He's just standing over the smuggler guy with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face, waiting for these shenanigans to be over, or to knock the guy back down if he tries to get up.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Now that you have the one who ran out of the warehouse, I would suggest it is better for everyone if we get out of your way and let you attend to your duty. You're likely to get a promotion for bringing him in single-handedly, you know." Gravington gives a knowing wink.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Well, if that's handled then, Faustus will wait briefly for the guard to get close to the smuggler, then promptly turn and walk away down the alley he's blocking. If nothing untoward happens before he clears the alley, he'll exit and seek to meet up with the rest of the group.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Given the opportunity, Gravington will make like a tree and get out of there.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay. It's Fricka's turn, so I guess we should see what she's looking to do, too.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, guys, I hope you'll accept my apologies. My wife was called away on urgent business having to do with a matter under investigation by the state attorney general's office, and I went with her because that's what you do. She's a witness, not a victim or suspect. We're both fine.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I, for one, reject your apology. You did nothing wrong and I can't accept an admission that you did.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Cronono is alive!

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Fricka's planning on getting off this roof. We're shitty planners and didn't come up with a place to meet up if everything went to hell, and she's not about to go wandering back to the scene to meet up with her posse, so unless they catch up with her first, she'll make her way back toward the Giggling Goblin.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:

Given the opportunity, Gravington will make like a tree and get out of there.

Seriously, nobody is going to oblige me on this one?

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Talanall
Talanall's picture

So I have a question about Fricka's plan. She's on a roof. She got up there by climbing a rope, which is dangling down the side of the building. The guard has already seen it, and begun asking inconvenient questions about it. Graveldick has kinda sorta gotten him to drop the questions for now, but there's probably another guard coming along any second.

Point is, I don't imagine she's going to climb back down the rope.

So how is she getting down? Is she going to jump?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Talanall wrote:
Graveldick...

Every time I see that I think 'that would hurt', then I think:

Quote:

It shouldn't hurt her, you know her pussy should be Bubble Yum by now, but when this cat fucks her it hurts. It hurts, just like it did the first time. You see the pain is reminding the fuck machine what it once was like to be a virgin. Hence, "Like a Virgin."
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I'm having trouble finding the specific post, but when we got up on the roof to begin with, I recall that we joked about how a Climb check would barely be needed because the halflings could basically reach the edge of the roof from the shoulders of whoever was boosting them up (Grumm, I think). Anyway, if that's the case, then my mental math puts the height of the roof about three times Fricka's height, plus or minus a foot or two. If that's the case, then she wouldn't object to doing that thing we all did as kids, where you essentially lower yourself off the edge as much as you can and then let go.

If my picture of how tall this building is is incorrect, then she might well end up having to wait for someone to help her down.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/34302#comment-34302 was the start of the discussion. We figured that it's about 10 feet from the edge of the roof to the ground. The gnomes are about three feet tall, and Faustus and Gruum are both around six feet tall. We figured that it was just barely too high for them to reach, and that it would be absurd and probably close to impossible for someone to jump up and down with a gnome standing on his shoulders.

Faustus ended up jumping up high enough with a running start (after several attempts) and then pulling himself to the roof to let down a rope.

Basically, this would end up being a 10 foot drop for Fricka. Jumping down deliberately from that height confers 1d6 points of non-lethal falling damage, and it's not high enough to inflict lethal damage at all--a 20-foot deliberate jump would deal 1d6 non-lethal and 1d6 lethal. With a DC 15 Jump or Tumble check, it's possible to negate the first 1d6 points of falling damage you'd suffer and convert the second to non-lethal (so a success on a 30 foot jump would then deal 1d6 lethal/1d6 non-lethal, a success at 20 feet would deal non-lethal only, and at 10, you suffer none at all).

Still, Fricka's only a 1st-level character, and belongs to one of the squishy classes. So if she doesn't nail her Jump check, there's a non-zero chance that she could get knocked unconscious.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Since it was his plan to put them up there to begin with, Faust can just catch her if she comes down to the side of the roof where he's exiting the alley. And if "catch her" involves some ridiculous roll that could be failed in any way, then he can hold his arms up so she can step into his hands and he can lower her down that way.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Hmmm. She's scared of being caught, but not "knock myself out falling off a roof" scared. She'll angle her retreat for the best chance to intercept the others.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Roll

I rolled 1d20, the result is 16 = 16.
I rolled 2d4+1, the result is 1, 2, 1 = 4.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Forgive me, I don't see the lieutenant or the smuggler on the map. Where are they?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Smuggler is Red #1. Lieutenant is Purple #1. The guard that the other party members have been dealing with is Purple #2.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I mislabeled the Guards side as gray. I don't know why.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Scratch that. I think I do know why. One of our players is red/green colorblind, and I avoided gray because I used red tokens and was concerned that there wouldn't be adequate differentiation.

The eye-bleeding combination of blue, purple and orange to differentiate buildings is also to make it easy to tell them apart, without relying on green shades.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Ok, so purple 1 is moving away from Cragar?

Darker

Gruum, thinking the job is done, shrugs at the guard and turns to walk away.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Cronono wrote:

Ok, so purple 1 is moving away from Cragar?

At considerable speed.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages