Chapter 17: A Small-Town Girl (OOC)

509 posts / 0 new
Last post
HVB

We can try to restrain Avar as a final resort...curious to see what the giant orc does.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'm waiting with bated breath. This whole development has been a delightful surprise.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Talanall wrote:

I'm waiting with bated breath. This whole development has been a delightful surprise.


And, really, isn't that the fun part? Being surprised as a DM when players zig when the expectation was zag?
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

The giant orc is going to watch Avar with confusion.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The funnest part undoubtedly is when you hurt yourselves trying to avoid combat with a particularly menacing gazebo, or something along those lines. Being surprised is really great, but if I'm being really honest it's a distant second to watching PCs die of paranoia.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

Kya would like to charge Avar and grapple him

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

She's being generous just charging him. We saw what happened with that arrowhawk, she could kick Avar's head off his body.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

HVB wrote:

Kya would like to charge Avar and grapple him


Oh boy....
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Right, okay. HVB will need to start out by rolling a melee touch attack for Kya, which should include the +2 bonus from charging. That'll be versus AC 11.

She's not going to miss unless she rolls a natural 1. So let's go ahead and assume that she's successful, and have her also roll a grapple check, and have Board Rider give us a grapple roll to oppose her. Kya has the Improved Grapple feat, so she doesn't suffer an AoO when she does this. She should roll her normal unarmed strike damage. Because she's a monk, it's totally up to her whether this is going to be lethal or non-lethal damage. In the event of a tie, Kya wins because her grapple modifier is higher than Avar's.

If all these rolls go Kya's way, then she'll move into Avar's space with him, and both of them will suffer the normal consequences for being in a grapple: neither one will threaten squares, neither will apply a Dex bonus to AC versus foes who aren't grappling, and neither one will be able to move (except by winning an opposed grapple check as a standard action).

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

She doesn't actually want to hurt him, just restrain him, because maybe he doesn't know that he is breaking the group's word to the naga and the snakes are about to hurt him and maybe everybody. If he opposes her and breaks free because he wants to get hurt she just hopes they don't use an AoE.

"WAIT! I'll stop him!" Kya will shout at the nagas to hopefully stay their actions for at least one more time if they are lucky..

Touch attk, grapple attempt (if +2 from charge applies u can add it)
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 18, 10 = 28.
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 6, 12 = 18.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Opposed Grapple.

I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 12, 9 = 21.
HVB

She is literally throwing herself at him full speed and he chooses to oppose her. More ammunition for Alannah if they live...

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Let's let this play out. Avar is his own person. Do you think he isn't going to defend himself when the monk comes barreling into him? How did you think this was going to go? Avar was going to simply allow himself to be pretzeled up in the dark by a woman he doesn't know? Wait....

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Board Rider wrote:

How did you think this was going to go?

Honestly? I think he's going to get into range and use his special ability to find out that the nagas aren't evil.

Then they're going to kill him. :D

HVB

Fixxxer wrote:
Board Rider wrote:

How did you think this was going to go?

Honestly? I think he's going to get into range and use his special ability to find out that the nagas aren't evil.

Then they're going to kill him. :D

Not buying that he wanted to confirm their evilness. He could've walked 15ft south to detect evil. Instead he hustled across the map in the same direction that the circle is and didn't detect. Your paladin's gone rogue (probably not for the first time) :)

Unfortunately I couldn't quite justify Kya doing nothing.

Board Rider wrote:
How did you think this was going to go?

Honestly, I thought there'd be alot more snacks.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

HVB wrote:

Honestly, I thought there'd be alot more snacks.

Yeah. Me too.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I'll be AFK until Sunday morning. This turn, Oskav wants to cast false life on himself, if his initiative count rolls around before I get back. Please feel free to roll for me in that case, @Talanall.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

I rolled 1d20, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 16 = 16.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

So this would be the second time Kya has run after Avar into trouble? I think she might have a thing for knights in armor.

Alannah mutters, "Foolish girl," and then calls out, "Kya, come back here! You won't disaude Sir Oaf, only get yourself killed along with him."

Alannah delays until after Avar's turn.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

If the solid fog is centered on Avar and Alannah, they're basically safe for the moment (it's hard for people to threaten them). Just to be clear, we could see the nagas if they try to enter the solid fog?

Assuming we can clearly see the nagas, Garren will forgo an action and continue packing the campsite, focusing on anything Avar or Kya left behind.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

You cannot see them "clearly" because the ambient lighting is such that they have concealment (20% miss chance). They could attempt Hide checks under the cover of darkness. It would be inconvenient for them to sneak into the solid fog, probably. Right now, it's easy for you to pinpoint where they are (because they're snakes the size of an ogre, and currently they aren't doing anything to conceal themselves). And Avar, at least, is close enough for his darkvision to give him a good view of them. Not that he can see much, anymore, besides Kya and her mighty muscles.

The solid fog spell conceals Avar and Kya from the vision of anyone who isn't within 5 ft. of them, regardless of lighting conditions or darkvision. So they are effectively invisible to anyone who doesn't have blindsight/blindsense/tremorsense or some similar ability. This said, Avar and Kya are not "safe" in any way, shape, or form. They cannot readily be attacked by means of a physical projectile, and it'd be extremely inconvenient to attack them via melee. And although it's possible to attack them via magical rays or some similar means, it'd be difficult because they're obscured by the fog.

But there really is nothing at all to prevent the nagas from (just for example) hurling lightning bolts or fireballs at their approximate location. Assuming they can do something like that, anyway. And if these nagas have some means of obtaining blindsense or tremorsense, then there are lots of non-area spells that don't require a line of sight--just line of effect and the ability to pinpoint the target.

So you probably want to be a little careful about assuming that Avar and Kya are safe. Solid fog is a good way to disrupt both movement and vision, and it has some interesting properties for interdicting the use ordinary ranged weapons. It doesn't necessarily shut down a spellcaster who's appropriately set up to take advantage of it.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Well then, I'm looking forward to getting an education on how to kill people inside solid fog so I have a plan when/if I get access to it. I would like to make sure they don't actually KILL anyone, but I will give them the opportunity to show how they plan to do it.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:

Well then, I'm looking forward to getting an education on how to kill people inside solid fog so I have a plan when/if I get access to it. I would like to make sure they don't actually KILL anyone, but I will give them the opportunity to show how they plan to do it.


Looks like this encounter may end positively for at least some of the party.
HVB

Solid fog, flame strike, flame strike, go get a snack, fireball, fireball as needed
I'm sure Garren will take copious notes.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Later, for sure. I figure you guys are going to get out of the fog away from them and we're going to book it. Maybe they won't follow.

If everyone survives, I'm going to spring for Diplomacy school for Avar. Or maybe just try to explain to him that not everyone accepts a priori that you're a good guy.

HVB

They will be in the fog for the foreseeable future, at least 2 or 3 rounds...

Talanall
Talanall's picture

So, Alannah is going to say something sarcastic, and wait to see what happens. What's Garren going to do?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'm gathering all the stuff that needs gathering. Let me know if I have it all.

HVB

Btw Kya is not trying to hold onto Avar anymore, and be sure to grab her sandals, she'd like to be buried In them.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Thank you for the clarification. I guess we'll see if Avar's going to hold onto Kya. He wasn't trying to start a grapple, but I guess now that you have one going, he might be averse to ending it on other terms than his own.

I suppose we'll see.

Oskav's up!

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I think instead of casting false life on himself, Oskav will move two squares southwest and ready an action to counterspell using dispel magic if either Naga is within 160' when they try to use another spell or spell-like ability. I'll go ahead and include my caster level check here in case that comes up.

Dispel Magic
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 19, 10 = 29.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

As Avar hustles away from the group to gain a better vantage point to detect evil he senses movement behind him before he hears it. Spinning to face whatever is coming, the paladin manages to block Kya's hands with his shield while pivoting away from the monk. "Kya? What are you doing?" Avar whispers hurriedly, worried, white pupiless eyes moving to take the young girl in. 

Looking back towards the nagas, the paladin continues to whisper, "I don't know if they can see.." and is cut off when the fog surrounds the duo. "Oh, by blood and boundaries!"

Avar grumbles a curse a bit louder than a whisper.

"It's time for us to go Kya. Try to stay behind me and lets move directly backwards." Avar will use detect evil from his current spot, wait to see if something pings, and take a 5' step backwards.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

I think Fixxxer is in Europe. If Chuul is going to kill Avar now is the time.

HVB

If he doesnt login, aybe chuul can just have his bow out and ready like, let us just get our paladin back real quick and we'll be out of your scales. And then he can kill Avar on his own time, probably right after :)

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Eh....I don't believe that Fixxxer is big on killing fellow party members. If Tal does it though thats different.

HVB

Hopefully no one has to die. This kind of violence is always what happens when you have too many LG creatures on the map at once...

HVB

Is Talanall away or something happen? Hope everything is ok

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I apologize for my unexpected absence and the resulting delays. I've had a lot of Real Life stuff pile onto me lately.

I'm okay. Nothing bad has happened to me or anyone close to me; I was a little bit overbooked because of some lingering family business, was starting to clear my schedule again, and then a flurry of chores associated with the onset of hunting season landed on me with a thud. I'm optimistic about getting back to normal this week.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Deer hunting, right? Nothing 'most dangerous game' about what you're doing, right?

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I mean... Deer Hunter had some pretty dangerous moments.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, I think I'm back now.

@deadDMwalking: As far as you know? No, nothing at all.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, it's Chuul's turn again.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

"Wait!" exclaims Chuul. "We will drag our idiot away and never return, if you let us!" He doesn't move, and waits for a response. Or, barring that, a lack of action on the nagas' parts.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let me have Kya's action, please, HVB.

Fixxxer, if you would please roll a Diplomacy check for Chuul?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

Kya will double move 10 feet NW if she is allowed. She has no idea what's going on but her fastness is being impeded and that is scary!

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Oh yeah, this is gonna go well...

Diplomacy
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 12, -1 = 11.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Never change, dice roller. You're beautiful just the way you are.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

After Kya has moved five feet, she'll be close enough to the edge of the solid fog effect that the second move NW should remove her from it entirely. As I interpret the spell's effects, that would mean she uses a move action to move the first 5 feet, and then she can move up to 50 feet.

If you don't want her to move that far, that's also perfectly alright, but I thought I should clarify, in case you wanted to move farther than you stipulated.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

HVB

Oh thanks, I misread the map.
If she doesn't get blasted with spells, Kya will listen to Alannah and move back west toward the others to about the edge of the camp light, parallel to the campfire.

"We're coming back, don't shoot!" She calls to the nagas...

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

Spellcraft (Oskav); Spellcraft (Alannah)
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 1, 15 = 16.
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 1, 13 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 19, 2 = 21.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages