Public Service (OOC)

257 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Certainly. What is she going to do to signal him? Make bird noises? Show him her downstairs mix-up?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

The map isn't big enough to show her downstairs mix-up.

She'll wave frantically with both hands to get his attention, point and move her pointing arm to indicate someone is taking the alley. If that isn't obvious enough, Fricka doesn't know what else might be.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alright, then. DDMW, what's Graveldick going to do with this?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I will Ready to Mind Thrust someone coming into view in the alley within 25 feet of me.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar moves N, NW, and continues to pretend to be in shock and awe.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Got you.

Graveldick's action triggers.

Will save (DC 15); Damage
I rolled 1d20, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d10, the result is 1 = 1.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Seeing what looks to her like Gravington doing nothing, Fricka will move as quickly as she can toward him, hoping possibly to give the others some kind of advance notice so this guy doesn't manage to slip past them before they're ready.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar delays.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let me have initiative rolls for Faustus and Gruum, please.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I think Gruum will be #2 and Faustus will be #5.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Gruum's about to take a nap at this point.

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 18, 2 = 20.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Init for Faust

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Based on the noises audible to him and the fact that he sees Fricka moving around kind of vigorously, is Gruum inclined to do anything?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

*pings @Darker*

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Sorry about that. Gruum needed to mentally review the plan (I had to go back and read it) before deciding what to do. So, Gruum looks visiably intimidating and threatening in his alley, attempting to dissuade their quarry from going into the north alley. Gruum stands there blocking the alley and casually leaning against his readied greatclub. He's tugged his cloak down to obscure some of his features.

He readies a move action to follow the guy if he keeps going west.

If this intimidation requires more than charisma, Gruum will take a bonus based on strength or weapon size.

Intimidation
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 9, 4 = 13.
Darker

Does Gruum's readied action trigger?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

No, because readying is a specialized sort of standard action, and using Intimidate is also a standard action.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Ah, I see. I only read that you can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. But readying a move action or a free action IS a standard action.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Darker wrote:

If this intimidation requires more than charisma, Gruum will take a bonus based on strength or weapon size.

https://www.dndarchive.com/content/dominating-presence

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

"Time to let the talls do their part," whispers Fricka to Gravington as she moves back from the edge of the roof to avoid potentially getting seen. She'll move back 5ft from the edge and ready an action to bolt west if she has reason to decide the gnomes have been discovered by the authorities.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Faust glares at the smuggler and squares off against him, simply saying "Stop." He then readies an action to strike the smuggler if he approaches into a threatened space. If I can ready a flurry of blows, I do that, but I don't think that's possible.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

You're correct; a flurry of blows is an extension of the full attack action, and cannot be readied because readying is a specialized standard action.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Just to be clear, then, Faust also has a readied action to strike the guard if he enters threatened space.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes, face-punching solves more problems than people want to admit.

Is he going to deal lethal or non-lethal damage?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Non-lethal.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'm obliged to travel starting today, and I will not be able to update the game until I return. So I will update this game on Monday.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

If Cronono has some other action planned, I'll give him about 24 hours to speak up, just in case, with my apologies. But otherwise I'll presume that he's still incommunicado, and we'll move on to Gruum.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

No other action planned.

Darker

Gruum takes a move action to come out of his alley and box in their target. He readies an action to club (non-lethally) anyone that is threating him and comes within range. He also continues to look menancing.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let's have an attack and damage roll from Faustus. I think it's pretty much inevitable that our fugitive is going to end up triggering his readied action, so we might as well get teed up for it.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Attack and non-lethal dmg.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
I rolled 1d6+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Oh, too bad. Since he didn't land his readied attack, and since this guy is pretty desperate to get past before the guards show up, I guess Faustus is about to be subject to an overrun attempt.

Let's have another attack/damage roll, if he's going to avail himself of an AoO. I also presume that he's going to attempt to block this guy. If I'm wrong, Faustus can just step aside and let him pass, but otherwise I'll need a Strength or Dexterity check (whichever is more favorable to Faustus, which I'll oppose with a Strength check from our fugitive.

If that check is unfavorable to Faustus, he'll be knocked prone and the thug is going to run past him. If Faustus wins, then he has an option to try to knock the thug over by means of a Strength check, opposed by whichever of Strength and Dex is more favorable to the thug. I'm going to assume that Faustus is going to want to knock this guy over, so I'll go ahead and roll both checks for him.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 6, 1 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 18, 1 = 19.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

So...AoO and dmg, Str check, Str check.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 9, 3 = 12.
I rolled 1d6+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 16, 3 = 19.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 19, 3 = 22.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

No good on the AoO, but the rest worked out pretty well.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

What's Graveldick up to, @deadDMwalking?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Gravington swings down and calls out loudly. "Why, you were running from the lawful authorities. I demand that you remain here until they can apprehend you." He draws a dagger to threaten him as he lies prone.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Are we on a break?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

No, but I've been dealing with a number of personal matters in rapid succession, not all of them pleasant. I'm okay, other than a little bit of aggravation to my occasional depression from the stress, but I can't talk about most of it.

I think that if I haven't cursed it by saying so, things are now blowing over and will be alright.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Obsidian_Spoon wrote:

Are we on a break?

Well, Tal's answer aside, I have been playing around with other people. I like what we've got going, but it's just fun - nothing serious and definitely not exclusive.

I hope that works for you, too.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Hah. And fair.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Climb for Gravington

DC 5
I rolled 1d20-2, the result is 17, -2 = 15.
I rolled 1d20-2, the result is 9, -2 = 7.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'll pause briefly, in case Cragar's doing something other than delaying.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay, all. It's been one of those instances where a bunch of things pile on without stopping until you don't have time or energy to do much besides deal with them and whimper in the fetal position. I'm mostly better now.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

For the entirely selfish reason that I want my GM to run the game, let me know if I can help!

Edit - And to confirm we are still acting in order, so Gravington can't respond to the guard until he comes up again?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I think we've established in another game that I run that we'll allow speech up to 25 words as an immediate action (which would mean that if Gravington does so, he wouldn't be able to use any other swift, immediate, or free action until after his next turn).

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

And I appreciate the sentiment. I had a cold, an appliance repair project, and some family obligations all in quick succession, and my wife has undergone some upheaval in her professional life (I can't talk about it because she's a physician, except to say that it was serious and upsetting and that it wasn't because of any action, omission or deficiency of hers).

And I suffer from intermittent depression, which usually is brought on or made worse by stress.

Things are shaking out to be okay again.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Then Gravington uses his immediate to respond with up to 25 words.

"This man appears to be a fugitive. He ran right into us as we were taking a shortcut to the Cartwright's. Not his lucky day!

Talanall
Talanall's picture

This looks like an application of the Bluff skill. A "general interaction" always is at least 1 full round action, so if you're going to start down this path, you can expect the guard to ask a follow-up question, and Gravington will have to devote a full-round action to satisfying his suspicions.

If that's something you're willing to commit to, then go ahead and roll the check.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Voitto's just going to love that the arrest report will include a band of helpful civilians. I think we might have Gorx'd this one up.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

There's also the rope hanging off the roof. You know, the one Gravington climbed down.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages