Public Service (OOC)

194 posts / 0 new
Last post
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Faust will climb up and secure a rope and climb back down, with the rope leading into the western alley. His thought is that once the combat is over, the gnomes can climb down and toss the rope back onto the roof, so there's no immediate evidence that they were up there.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let me have a Jump check and a Climb check, please.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Ok.

Jump, Climb
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 1, 4 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 1, 4 = 5.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

What the fuck is that.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

A fluke. You can try again.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Rollers been giving a lot of 1's lately.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Trying again.

Jump Climb
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 1, 4 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 8, 4 = 12.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Wow, three ones in a row.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The circumstances are such that you can't take 20 on the Climb checks, because you're capable of failing by a margin that causes you to fall down again.

If you wanted to take 20 on a Jump check, I guess you could, but without getting into a lot of unneeded detail, the skill involves getting a running start in order to keep the DC reasonably sane. So it's basically a full round action each attempt, and would therefore take 2 minutes.

Godspeed.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

We aren’t super pressed for time are we? I don’t care if it takes two minutes as long as it gets done and no one breaks their neck or something dumb.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, then. Just roll Climb checks until you beat DC 15.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Climb checks 1-5

I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 9, 4 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 2, 4 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 8, 4 = 12.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 20, 4 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 8, 4 = 12.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Is there an obvious law or custom that would get Cragar in trouble if he tried to sell a dagger to Mr. Bull-neck?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Street hawkers are a thing all over the city.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar ambles up to the guard. He holds his shield in two hands in front of him with two of his daggers on clear display atop the shield.

"Just two gold," Cragar says a bit too quietly. "Two gold for a little extra protection against the scum of the city."

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I suppose we should have asked earlier, but the roof that the gnomes are on, how is it constructed? Does it have a lip they might use for concealment or crenelation, or does it simply terminate? Is it pitched enough to require alteration to skill checks?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The roof is wooden shakes, and they are in good condition. 4/12 pitch, no lip or other features on the edge.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I guess I might as well have Cronono roll initiative for Cragar at this point, since he's involving himself in events.

I rolled 1d20, the result is 12 = 12.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 14 = 14.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

We know how much the die roller likes me.

Init
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 2 = 2.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Preposterous.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Jesus. I think the die roller might be a racist.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Guards, guards!

Forced entry
I rolled 1d20, the result is 16 = 16.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 11 = 11.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 9 = 9.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 9 = 9.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Guards, guards (redux)!

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 6, 1 = 7.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 15, 1 = 16.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Are we in init?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes. I just got the telemetry section set up as I customarily arrange it. Cragar's 2nd turn is now current.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar spends a move to move 10 feet back from the guard. He mumbles apologies as he takes his action to stow the two daggers.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

These guys are the worst battering ram operators in the history of ever.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 17, 1 = 18.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 14, 1 = 15.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alright. I think we have this stuff tidied up. Let me have Listen checks from Fricka and Gravington, please.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar walks slowly backwards, shuffling 10 feet to the east while keeping an eye on the front door where all the guards are. He makes a point of looking at the guard to that dismissed him, attempting a facial expression akin to this one:

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Listen Check

Listen
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 18, 3 = 21.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let's have initiative for Fricka.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Certainly

Initiative
I rolled 1d20, the result is 5 = 5.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Graveldick

Listen, Initiative
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 16, 5 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 7, 2 = 9.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I think I will delay, but I would like to confirm a few things.

First of all, is Gravington Blue 3 or Blue 4 (I assume that the pair is Fricka and Gravington)?

Secondly, we were expecting the quarry to slip out the back and have a choice of moving toward the front of the building from one of the side alleys, but we have party members there, so we're expecting him to follow the alley to our position. On the off chance that there is a place where he could hide or a secret passage, do I think I can use the slope of the roof to get eyes on him without revealing myself. Alternatively, could Happy do it?

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Having thought about it some more, I am definitely delaying, regardless of the answers to those questions.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

deadDMwalking wrote:

I think I will delay, but I would like to confirm a few things.

First of all, is Gravington Blue 3 or Blue 4 (I assume that the pair is Fricka and Gravington)?

We'll say that Fricka is #3 and Gravington is #4.

Quote:

Secondly, we were expecting the quarry to slip out the back and have a choice of moving toward the front of the building from one of the side alleys, but we have party members there, so we're expecting him to follow the alley to our position. On the off chance that there is a place where he could hide or a secret passage, do I think I can use the slope of the roof to get eyes on him without revealing myself. Alternatively, could Happy do it?

Gravington is a Small humanoid, but other than the size-based bonus to Hide checks, I don't think he's particularly stealthy. Also, he would need to move quicker than a double move to get a vantage point, so he'd make a lot of noise.

All of that also applies to Happy, but he is a little faster on his feet and he has some ranks in Move Silently. Gravington certainly could have Happy go have a look for him. If he does so, you'll need to make a Move Silently check on Happy's behalf. It'll happen on Gravington's turn, so delaying will also delay Happy's inquiry.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

That's fine. I don't want to spoil the plan. Let the victim come to me. I will delay.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Fricka will double move to the east. It'll take 2 turns, but she wants to get closer to the eastern edge of the roof, then lay down to reduce her silhouette. She figures if someone comes up that alley, or if someone takes a wrong turn and doesn't head that way, she can signal Gravington, who can signal the others.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, and what is Cragar going to do?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Just like Turkish in the brilliant comedy Snatch, Cragar is going to freeze with a stupid look on his face. However, as diamonds are technically stones, Cragar DOES know something about diamonds.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Are there both grey and red spots on the map yet? I can only see the blue and one other color.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Right now, I think you are only seeing blue and purple. There are red tokens that are currently occluded from view because nobody in the party has a line of sight to them. That probably will change in a minute.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let's see what Graveldick has for us.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'm not planning on doing anything until I see someone.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay. And what is Fricka doing? She's got a little further to go before she gets to the corner of this roof, but she'll have a standard action left over.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Just watching. If she sees someone coming up the alley, she'll signal in the most obvious way she can to her companions. If she doesn't see anyone immediately, I guess she'll ready an action to signal her companions when she does.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alrighty. And what's Cragar up to?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

*ping*

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Unavailable for a few days, please control my PCs.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Fixxxer wrote:

Just watching. If she sees someone coming up the alley, she'll signal in the most obvious way she can to her companions. If she doesn't see anyone immediately, I guess she'll ready an action to signal her companions when she does.

Can Fricka see the guy being chased by the guard? If so, I think her readied action should have been tripped. She was hoping that seeing something like this, she could give some kind of fairly obvious visual signal to Gravington that says "someone's coming," which he could relay to the big people in the alley.

Pages