Tenfold Shields (OOC)

929 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Ghosts?

I rolled 1d20, the result is 7 = 7.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Hahaha.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Should we be concerned that the designated member of the party for communicating with dead people isn't even 100% sure what the difference between "living" and "dead" is?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

To be fair, the undead are inherently a little vague about that question themselves.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Gorx is much better at communicating with people who are lit on fire when they die.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Big money, no whammies!

Knowledge (local)
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 16, 6 = 22.
Darker

Grimvaalk continues to kick his companions awake. If they are all good and he has actions left, he mounts up and readies his bow.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Everyone's awake, so he can move straight on to getting mounted. He's not adjacent to his mount, so he'll spend a move action getting there.

Mounting is a move action, or a free action if he succeeds on a Ride check (DC 20). If he fails, then he just takes a move action to mount instead, and can't ready his bow this round.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

I’m mobile right now, but here’s a d20, please add my ride bonus if you don’t mind.

I rolled 1d20, the result is 6 = 6.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Yonah does a double move, drawing his morning star and his shield, and tries to get as close to parallel to Fanax as he can facing the entrance to the cave. If I understand my movement correctly, I can go 60 feet on a double move, which would put Yonah about five or six squares due north of Fanax if he proceeded west in a straight line.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'll have him take a slight dogleg northward to avoid the worst of some rubble on the ground between him and his general destination, unless you have an objection to that. It's probably a slightly better endpoint, anyway, since it would leave him marginally less vulnerable to a charge attack from the cave entryway.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

What's Fanax up to, @Board Rider?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Fanax will move into the fog towards the fire. It appears to require a double move.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Is he going all the way through the fog (that's the blue area)?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

You bet. As many squares as possible. Fanax wants to try to catch a glimpse of Vumrot.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I rolled 4d6, the result is 2, 4, 6, 4 = 16.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 3 = 3.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'll need a Reflex save, please.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

The short sword and chainmail is worth coming back for guys.

I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 10, 11 = 21.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oni will use a double move to advance to two squares south of Yonah's current position.

Springing to his feet, Oni tries to conceal his excitement at finally encountering Vumrot in the flesh. He rushes to clear the distance between where the party made camp and the mouth of the cave, hoping Fanax doesn't perish before the other can come to his aid. "To arms! To arms! The beast has come!"

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

*pings @Fixxxer*

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Shit, sorry. Two friends from Florida have been visiting the past two days, so I've been occupied until late evening. Zathrus will angle to get a better view of what's happening at the cave mouth while still keeping himself at a relative safe distance. He'll double move to a square 4 squares west of Grimvaalk.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Our posts were, unfortunately, in the IC channel. Gorx is going to put them as close to the dragon as possible.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay. When you get a second, why don't you go ahead and roll a Diplomacy check for me.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 17, 3 = 20.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 18, 1 = 19.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Just one?

Gorx, the Likable.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 3, 11 = 14.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

*pings @Darker*

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

From the looks of things, there's not likely a good shot Grimvaalk has on the dragon. What's the penalty to try to shoot it with everything on the map the way it is?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

If Grimvaalk stood in one of a handful of squares on this map (none of which he's in right now) that gives him a shot, it's theoretically possible that he could shoot Vumrot by accident if he selects a random square to shoot into that happens to be the right one, and then he overcomes the 50% miss chance for total concealment, and then he happens to make an attack roll that exceeds Vumrot's AC after we factor in a cover bonus to account for Fanax being in the way. And he probably would risk hitting Fanax.

This is because the blue area of the map is a fog cloud effect. It is a 20 ft. radius cylinder, 20 feet in height. It obscures things inside of it (20% miss chance from concealment against targets within 5 feet, and 50% miss chance from total concealment beyond that). So unless you're literally right next to something in that area, it's invisible to you. Grimvaalk probably has made the connection that Vumrot created it, because the fog is only in one place, which happens to be a place where Grimvaalk really would prefer it wasn't.

Effectively, the fog obscures not only everything inside of it, but also everything on the other side of it from you, which includes both Fanax and the dragon. It doesn't prevent light from propagating, so the bonfire still sheds light, albeit greatly reduced because of the dead goats that Vumrot has piled on it (not that Grimvaalk knows that's what has happened; he can't see the goats, either).

And in fact, Grimvaalk can tell that something or someone is moving around between him and the bonfire. He probably can guess that this is Fanax.

It doesn't impede movement the way blindness would; if you go into the fog, you'll be able to see well enough to move through without any issues.

So broadly speaking, Grimvaalk has two options.

Option One is that he can come up behind Fanax. This would eliminate any miss chance he'd suffer from the fog, although Grimvaalk himself could retain concealment from the fog for himself if he chooses his footing with care. Fanax would still be in the way, essentially providing soft cover. Grimvaalk wouldn't be able to shoot this round if he did this, because his mount would be making a double move, and Grimvaalk would be somewhere on the near side of or just inside the fog when he reaches the midpoint of his movement, which is where he would be when he shot.

He could potentially shoot next round as a full attack. Theoretically, he also could ready a lance or other melee weapon, in case the dragon is close enough for him to get at it that way.

Option Two is that he waits, hoping that Fanax will get out of the way (or die), or that someone else will step in and get rid of the fog, or . . . something. But even if Grimvaalk doesn't know any details about what Vumrot was up to, he knows the dragon is doing SOMETHING to the bonfire that seems likely either to put it out or make it dramatically smaller.

Grimvaalk has every reason to think that if Fanax proves unable to contain the dragon by himself, then Vumrot probably will make his way out of the cave. That may not be entirely a bad thing, despite this party's extraordinary efforts to kill him without actually fighting him, but if he gets out he'll be able to fly, which means you might end up having to fight him on the wing, or that he'll be able to flee into the night sky, traveling much faster than you can chase him.

Even if he gets away clean that may not be the end of the world, depending on how ambitious the PCs are and how badly they want to fulfill the terms of their mission. If you think Vumrot's likely to flee for his life and never trouble the Horde again, then maybe you can just go home and say, "Okay, problem solved! We made the dragon go away. Let's go kill some pinkies."

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

*pokes Darker*

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Let's go with option one! Back Fanax up.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Missed it but noticed Fanax took 8 damage. The 21 wasn't high enough to save? If saved, wouldn't evasion negate the damage? I'm sure you calculated it correctly but I am not sure so I appreciate your explaination.

Thanks!

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I made a mistake and didn't realize he had evasion. So thank you for reviewing and finding that.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Yonah shimmies up to one square northeast of Grimvaalk and suggests, "Clear the bottleneck, or we'll all get blasted in the face again."

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Fanax is more than agreeable to follow Yonah's suggestion. Stepping back 10 feet, stopping at Grimvaalks left, Fanax mutters, "Stupid idea, that fire."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 20, 12 = 32.
I rolled 1d8, the result is 4 = 4.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Anticipating that his colleagues are about to waver and let the dragon past once the fire goes out, Oni is eyeing the mouth of the cave. What he really wants to do here is get up top so he can jump down onto Vumrot's back if he tries to fly out.

How close can I get in one round worth of movement? How many Climb checks do I need to make? Is there even a place for me to stand up there; and if not, is it possible to clutch my spear in one hand while I hang on to the wall and wait?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

Anticipating that his colleagues are about to waver and let the dragon past once the fire goes out, Oni is eyeing the mouth of the cave. What he really wants to do here is get up top so he can jump down onto Vumrot's back if he tries to fly out.

Well, preventing Vumrot from flying out certainly is a pretty good tactical goal. There are any number of good reasons for Oni to think that life is going to be harder if there's an angry dragon flying through it.

And getting up high for some kind of preventative maneuver, as you describe, is one viable way to try to deal with this possibility. Let's walk through the considerations he'll have to deal with.

Quote:

How close can I get in one round worth of movement? How many Climb checks do I need to make?

Okay, these are closely related questions. If Oni climbs, he moves at ¼ normal speed. His normal speed is 30 feet. So, provided that he succeeds on his Climb check he moves 5 ft. as a move action, because we'll end up rounding down from 7.5 ft. to 5 ft.

Per the terrain summary in the IC thread, "The darkest area of the hillside represents a cliff, roughly 40 feet high. A cliff typically requires a DC 15 Climb check to scale. This cliff is not perfectly vertical. For every 20 feet you ascend, you will automatically move 5 feet into its area. If you fail your Climb check by 4 or less, you make no progress. If you fail by 5 or more, you fall from whatever height you have already attained."

The cliffs are a bit lower at the extreme ends of their extent, but overall Oni would need to scale something like 40 feet to get to the top, if he's climbing. So that'd mean he'd have to make 4 successful Climb checks, all of them against DC 15. If he fails, then that move action is wasted. If he fails by more than 5 points, he'll fall, and potentially hurt himself if he's climbed far enough.

But if he devotes all of his efforts to climbing, then scaling the wall is going to take him a minimum of 3 rounds, assuming that he immediately heads for the closest spot on the cliff face (which he can reach with a single move action) and that he consecutively succeeds at 4 checks in a row after that.

Quote:
Is there even a place for me to stand up there; and if not, is it possible to clutch my spear in one hand while I hang on to the wall and wait?

At the top of the cliff, there is a generous expanse of lightly forested hillside, which is a "steep slope," as defined in the DMG/SRD's environmental section.

Oni's spear would present him with some difficulties, however. He needs his hands free to climb. I suppose that he could try to rig up some sort of contrivance that would hold it for him across his back, or something of that nature, but that probably would eat up precious time.

Similarly, Oni possesses a grappling hook with 50 feet of rope, which he could use to make his climb easier. In fact, it could make his climb substantially easier, dropping the DC from DC 15 to DC 5. His risk of falling would be close to nil, in that case, but setting a grappling hook is a standard action, he'd have to dig it out of his pack, and it requires a Use Rope check (DC 10), which I must make in secret.

Alternatively, he could use the lowered DC to compensate for a -5 penalty to his Climb checks, which would allow for "accelerated climbing" at half his normal movement rate. This would expose him to risk, though. With his Str 17, Oni isn't QUITE immune to failure if he climbs with a properly set grappling hook, but he's got a 95% chance of success on each check, and he can't fail catastrophically. If he tries to put on his hurry-up boots, then he has to beat an effective DC 10, which means that he falls if his raw D20 result is a 1 or 2.

You also should keep in mind that Oni would be deprived of his Dex bonus to AC if he's climbing, and he would be unable to use a shield. You may not care about any of that.

Also, I've been acting under the assumption (probably well founded) that Oni took off his hide armor to sleep, so as to avoid being fatigued when he wakes up. That's probably a net good if he's planning to do some climbing, since he's not actually proficient in it and would suffer from armor check penalties as a result. But if I'm somehow mistaken about whether he's wearing his armor, then please correct me.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Nah, the rope and grappling hook aren't really an option. Not only was Oni not wearing his armor while he slept, he also wasn't strapped into his backpack, so all of that stuff is still laying next to where he was resting.

It sounds like the spear is going to be a problem too so instead of carrying it with him, Oni will wait until next round to begin climbing. Instead, this round he will advance 30' and his move east of Grimvaalk and south of Yonah. Then he will use his standard action to throw the spear at Vumrot. I hope this means the top corner of my square will negate his soft cover from my teammates but obviously the 20' range increment will hamper my roll.

Spear vs Vumrot (range penalty)
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 19, 1 = 20.
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 3, 3 = 6.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes, the soft cover should be pretty well eliminated. Too bad about that range increment, though.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

*pings @Fixxxer*

What's Zathrus doing, my dude?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Strangely, Zathrus pauses, his attention briefly on Gorx's ghosts instead of the angry dragon. "Huh," he chuckles to himself. To Gorx, though, he calls "if that one is Khingi'ut like I suspect, you're not getting shit from her without a bribe. Ask he what she wants and give it to her."

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Gorx shrugs. "She won't get anything if we're frozen." The shaman turns back to the undead.

"If you want something at all, you're going to have to help us kill this dragon."

Diplomacy
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 3, 11 = 14.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Also, oof.

Darker

Happy to let the bigger, melee focused guys in front, Grimvaalk fires a rapid shot into the cave to see if he can hit anything by sheer luck, then pulls back and around to the side of the entrance of the cave to the north to put him just out of sight (and out of breath) range of the dragon.

Apply any additional penalties
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 10, 9 = 19.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 46 = 46.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 5, 9 = 14.
I rolled 1d6+2, the result is 1, 2 = 3.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 15 = 15.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Noticing a Vumrot sized gap among his companions, Yonah Adisi sighs, readies his weapon, and bids his fellows, "This is stupid, but let it not be in vain!" He attempts to move quickly through the pile of roasting goat to one square due east of where Vumrot is and wallop him with his morning star.

Yonah has darkvision out to 60 feet, so I figure he should be able to see Vummy pretty immediately once he's in view. Anything needed for stepping on the hot stuff? I've rolled an attack roll here.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 16, 7 = 23.
I rolled 1d8+5, the result is 8, 5 = 13.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Lemme have a Reflex save, please.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Sure.

I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 3, 7 = 10.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

AoO

I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 19, 13 = 32.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Fanax's mind whirls with dozens of thoughts simultaneously as he watches Yonahs rush against the dragon. The goblin annoyingly wishes this happened earlier while fear grips his legs and his innate sense of self preservation begins to force him to stay hidden.

But it is Fanax's ego that wins the moment. The small woodsman simply can't allow someone to take all the glory..."if we survive this encounter" Fanax finally thinks to himself.

With that Fanax exits the fog and moves to stab the dragon.
____________________

Not sure Fanax can get directly across from Yonah but it looks like 30' of movement. So I'll add the +2 and SA damage. I'll roll a reflex save as well.

Attack, SS damage, SA damage, Reflex
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 20, 12 = 32.
I rolled 1d4+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 6 = 6.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 11, 11 = 22.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Critical confirmation and extra damage.

I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 5, 12 = 17.
I rolled 1d4+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Three things:
1. I think that is the first 20 on an attack roll, ever, that I received from the dice roller.
2. I took a screen shot of the post.
3. Damage is still sad.

Pages