Tenfold Shields (OOC)

739 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Oh. Haha, it wasn't really a spider, anyway.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

If we have at least half an hour before the fire dies out, Oni's preference is to also get his armor on before proceeding. But after that, he will gather as much additional fuel as he can find to pile on. Once we get back into the swing of things, we can revisit trying to smoke the dragon out or smother it in its cave.

The alternative would be to let the fire die out and then go into the cave to confront the dragon directly. Not opposed to it, but it's a little bit farther down my list of desirable outcomes.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

What MI said. Zathrus hasn't abandoned the idea of smoking being effective. It certainly got Vumrot's attention.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well, there is plenty of fuel around. You could reasonably keep this fire going for a few days, at the very least. Food might become a challenge, since you will eventually run out or have to send people to forage. If some of you are away during an attempted breakout, that could suck. And if Fanax gets stuck in a hole and dies, Grimvaalk may have trouble feeding two bugbears and three goblins all by himself.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Grimvaalk has some everlasting rations -- and as a small character, he makes more than enough for himself and some of the goblins. At the very least, it should be enough to suppliment some.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

You guys are out of initiative. The combat engagement was inconclusive, but your fire's still lit and burning well.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:

Grimvaalk has some everlasting rations -- and as a small character, he makes more than enough for himself and some of the goblins. At the very least, it should be enough to suppliment some.

This certainly helps, and in fact Grimvaalk probably can feed all four goblins out of this item. It still leaves both of the bugbears, as well as wolves belonging to Zathrus, Grimvaalk, and Gorx. I think everyone has at least some feed on hand for the wolves, and in aggregate there's probably a week's worth available. But it's not infinite, and feeding a total of five Medium creatures is a pretty heavy burden that will slow you down if you are short on food by the time you head back toward the Great Horde.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Talanall wrote:

You guys are out of initiative. The combat engagement was inconclusive, but your fire's still lit and burning well.


Just so I am clear, Fanax is still wedging his way towards death, right? DM?
Talanall
Talanall's picture

I have not assumed that he has stopped what he's doing. He's wedging toward . . . something.

What's his Escape Artist bonus, again?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

+10. I will take 20 if possible. If there is a point where Fanax can't get his head through he will shimmy out.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Please roll an Escape Artist check, as well as a Survival check.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

I expect this to go poorly.

EA and Survival
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 1, 10 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 20, 5 = 25.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahababaha

I genuinely beleive that is the first time I had a 20 rolled.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Fanax will weasel his way out of the hole and return to the group.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

What's your plan of action, gentlemen? Come up with something, or the fire's going to burn out with no firm idea of how you plan to address the dragon's icy wrath. Who's doing what?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Grimvaalk had a plan, no one wanted to try it. Now he's going to be a little bitch and watch everyone else's plan fail. There's lawful evil, neutral evel, chaotic evil, and little bitch petty evil.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

What was Grimvaalks plan?

Darker

Wait for the dragon to come out to hunt, ambush it on the way out or way in. Could even wait until it leaves and then pact some elementals to cave in his lair maybe behind it.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

A better plan would be to do most of the heavy lifting while the dragon is gone then finish the job when it returns, hopefully none the wiser that we were sapping the walls and ceiling of its home. Trapping it inside seems like a more definitive answer to the problem of what to do about the dragon than forcing it to fly away and find a new home we don't know about.

But in the meantime, a fire seems to be doing a pretty good job of keeping it fenced in. Oni will 1. Put his armor back on, 2. Stash his gear and weapons around the corner of the mouth of the cave where he doesn't have to run a marathon to retrieve it again, and 3. Start stacking firewood in the same place.

Once the pile of kindling is respectably high, he will resume feeding the fire, and encourage Yonah to do the same. We can take turns running to the fire to stoke it, or resume fanning it with the tent, or whatever.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Gorx will relieve himself in the foliage to the NE.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well done. I shall mark that on the map, in case I have an opportunity to make someone fall or step in it later.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I suspect there may be a canine who will assist you in that endeavor.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Zathrus will help as needed, mostly by directing and by watching the cave for signs of trouble. He'll actually work if he must, but why get his own hands dirty when we have two bugbears who are so much better suited to this kind of work? Each to his own strengths and all.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Oni (and anyone else who involves himself in searching for firewood) should roll a Survival or a Search check, whichever happens to have the better modifier.

Fixxxer might as well roll a Spot check for Zathrus.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Gotta make sure I only bring back kindling and not one of the goblins

Survival (untrained)
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 8, 3 = 11.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also you don't want to step in dragon poop or anything like that.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

If Dragon poop smells anything like other carniverious reptile poop (but bigger), we shouldn't have had any issue finding this lair.

Also, he makes a survival check -- he may think this whole smoking the dragon out plan is dumb, but he's going to see if he can't help out anyway by finding some grub for everyone since his stick carrying capacity isn't that great. It'll help them stick around longer and strength out the supplies they have.

Survival
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 20, 10 = 30.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Roll

Spot
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Is the sun out? Zathrus apparently can't see it.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Good thing he's keeping watch. If he were looking for firewood I'd have to consider having him disturb a colony of hornets.

It's really a pretty good thing that we don't use any of the variants involving critical failure.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'll need a Fort save for Oni, please.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

This is where we turn it all around, boys.

Fortitude
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 8, 4 = 12.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Pooh. That saves.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

One more save from Oni, please.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Do your worst, Dice Tyrant!

Fortitude
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 19, 4 = 23.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

MI, I sincerely like the cut of your jib.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yeah, that saves, too. He's got a slightly itchy spot on his arm.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I'm gonna venture to guess that his face, naughty bits and butthole would be covered with urushiol oil had you rolled low, MI.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Your kung fu is strong.

Do you want to speculate about which of several different urushiol-producing plants might be lurking in the shadows?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Yonah will help search for firewood. This is a search check.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 10, 3 = 13.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let me have a Wisdom or Int check, please, @Dafyd.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Int check. Here's hoping our boy is smarter than the average bugbear.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 9, 1 = 10.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Talanall wrote:

Your kung fu is strong.

Do you want to speculate about which of several different urushiol-producing plants might be lurking in the shadows?

If it has a real-world parallel, I'm gonna guess it's the Urushi tree.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well done.

For those who are following along, urushiol is the compound that causes the rash associated with exposure to poison ivy or poison oak (which one is more familiar to you will depend a little on where you live). Urushi is the Japanese name for a tree in the same genus as poison ivy. Most of you will be familiar with red and/or black lacquerware goods that sometimes show up in the States as souvenir/curio pieces from Japan and China. The urushi tree is tapped somewhat like a maple to obtain its sap, which is the base for this lacquer.

Oni didn't roll quite high enough with Survival to avoid contact with one, but fortunately he made both of his saves vs. poison.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

For those of you lucky enough not to have had a bad exposure to urushiol, let me assure you that it might be the most un-fun thing in the entire history of mankind. Yes, including the Holocaust.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Starting tomorrow afternoon and extending through until the afternoon of Wednesday of next week, I expect to be unavailable due to a travel obligation. I will appreciate your patience with the delay.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'm back. Sorry for the delay, but I was subject to a sudden and non-negotiable obligation.

Picking up where we left off, I was going to ask Darker whether Grimvaalk plans to tell people he's riding off to look for extra food, or just go.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

No, Grimvaalk will make it clear that it looks like they'll be around there for a while, so hes looking for some food to extend their provisions.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Noted. Thank you.

I rolled 1d100, the result is 9 = 9.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 18 = 18.
I rolled 1d8, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d3+2, the result is 2, 2 = 4.
I rolled 1d3+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
I rolled 1d3+2, the result is 2, 2 = 4.
I rolled 1d3+2, the result is 2, 2 = 4.
I rolled 3d6, the result is 5, 5, 2 = 12.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 5, 7 = 12.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 12, 7 = 19.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 5 = 5.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 6 = 6.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I think I need a Listen and a Spot from Grimvaalk.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages