The Giggling Goblin (OOC)

298 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay.

I am not going to re-write the text of this spell. The following is more in the nature of a clarification of what we have jointly agreed that the text actually means, in light of the discussion we've already had.

We're going to treat it as understood that dancing lights allows the caster to produce up to four lights that look similar to torches or will-o-wisps. They must at all times remain within a 10 ft. radius area of each other. That is to say that no two of them may be further apart than 20 ft. The central point between all extant lights, whether it's two, three, or four of them, shall be treated as the point which moves when the spell is redirected, and therefore shall be the point we use for range finding and similar tasks. In the event that someone uses the humanoid-shaped version of the spell, we'll treat it as a Small or Medium creature and instead count squares to determine range.

The caster can exert reasonable control over the visual appearance of the lights produced by this spell, but these details are fixed once the spell is cast. Signaling based on color changes would therefore be impractical.

Unless otherwise specified by the caster, either at the time of casting or as part of redirecting the spell, the lights created by this spell will be effectively stationary, although they will bob, weave, and otherwise move around in an inconsequential manner. At the caster's option, he may specify that some or all of the lights instead move in a pattern. In the case of torch/lantern/will-o-wisp lights, this pattern of movement must remain within the bounds of the 10 ft. radius discussed previously, but otherwise it is a matter of the caster's discretion. Further, at the time of casting or redirection, the caster can move the lights into a new "formation" of sorts, so long as they all remain within the specified radius. A distinctive formation or pattern of movement, then, may be an adequate basis for the transmission of a signal.

Redirecting this spell is a swift action, which means that, among other things, it precludes the caster from speaking out of turn in the initiative order (because swift and immediate actions are counted as if they are the same thing), casting a quickened spell, casting spells with a casting time of 1 swift action or 1 immediate action, or activating a magical item with an activation time of 1 swift action or 1 immediate action.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

@Obsidian_Spoon, it looks like we have finished settling the lighting issue. Posts and map images in the IC thread have been updated to reflect the outcome of the new reality. As I have not yet applied your character's actions, and as they depended on a lighting scenario that now does not apply, I am going to pause to let you decide to do something else, if you wish. Conspicuously, Faustus cannot really make Hide checks right now. He has total cover from Philo where he currently stands, and still would if you used the movement you already specified. Move Silently is applicable regardless of lighting, of course.

The entire area inhabited by your group is now well lit, although Fricka's dancing lights don't improve the level of illumination around Philo.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

We can keep it the same action as before. The rest of the group doesn't appear in a rush to engage. My previous move silent roll wasn't great, but we can just keep it all the same.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Aight.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I think Sanctuary is only round/level, rather than minute per level.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Hmm. Yeah, looks like I made a boo-boo.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Question: Speaking on your turn is a free action up to 25 words.

Fricka adopts a wry, amused look, her face a mask that projects 'oh, you didn't really believe that hogwash, right?'. "Come now, Mr. Philo. Put that down and take your earned beating. I promise we won't kill you." Fricka draws forth a small knife from under her cloak. "Or don't, and..."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Correct. Which is actually quite a lot of verbiage. The utterance you have there is 21 or 22 words, depending whether I count Mr. Philo as a single word or as one.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Shit. That question was supposed to be more and got cut off somehow. The actual question was whether more words could be bought by using more of your turn to speak.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

If you go over, it's a move action instead.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I like it. With that in mind, can I change the above a bit?

Fricka adopts a wry, amused look, her face a mask that projects 'oh, you didn't really believe that hogwash, right?'. "Come now, Nerillus... can I call you Nerillus? Nerillus, you've earned a beating. Put that down..." (she motions at his weapon) "...and take it like a man. I promise we won't kill you." Fricka draws forth a small knife from under her cloak. "Or don't, and..."

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar takes a five foot step SW. He readies the same action - he will interpose himself between the door and Philo if Philo goes for it.

Cragar nods. "If you don't fight back, you live."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

What's Gruum doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

@Darker, it's Gruum's turn.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Gruum uses his move action to return his shield to readiness and will ready an action to put a javelin sized hole in the little prick should he step forward in any way other than in surrender (if he steps forward with sword in hand, Gruum lets him have a javelin in a sensitive area).

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 13, 3 = 16.
I rolled 1d6+4, the result is 1, 4 = 5.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Gravington moves behind Faustus so he can see Philo. Deciding that it's going to be difficult to make friends, he opts for a more direct, if discrete approach. He manifests mind thrust.

DC 15 Will Negates
I rolled 1d10, the result is 10 = 10.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Bold move, Gravington. Let's see if it pays off.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Hopefully it won't kill this dude if he fails his save.

I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 13, 4 = 17.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Faust will ask "Are we done talking?" and his actions on his turn will depend on any answers.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

If the maximum damage is 10, and death is at -10, we should have at least a chance to make him not die. If anyone in our party does that. Hard to be sure with this bunch.

In any case, if nobody wants to get close, I can try that a few more times; it may at least force him to abandon a readied action.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I'm a huge fan of "the antagonist goes down without a fight" plan.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Obsidian_Spoon wrote:

Faust will ask "Are we done talking?" and his actions on his turn will depend on any answers.

It is currently Faustus's turn. Are you going to have him ask this question, and then delay until someone answers, or what?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Didn't we talk about being able to speak when it's not your turn? I haven't quite been following all of the rules discussions, but I was thinking he'd ask and then give people a second to reply and then take his actions.

I changed my mind anyway. Can Faust move to the square directly east of the table, or does that chair or stool prevent him from standing in that square? If he can stand there, he'll move to that square and ready an action to attack Philo for non lethal dmg if Philo moves into a threatened square (unless Philo is surrendering).

Readied Attack and Dmg.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 7, 3 = 10.
I rolled 1d6+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yeah, he can do that. The stool is mostly inconsequential from a combative standpoint, but I included it in case someone decides to pick it up and hit things/people with it, or whatever.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Can Gravington pick it up and throw it at someone?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Theoretically. I mean, it's designed for a Medium character, so probably it weighs about 7 lbs. Being that he's Small and not particularly muscular, I think Gravington would find it reasonably easy to pick it up and carry it around. He's only carrying about three pounds of gear, so far as I can tell.

I would assess a -4 nonproficiency penalty, and the range increment would only be something like 10 ft. It certainly wouldn't be a great weapon, but I see no compelling reason why he couldn't do that if he wanted to.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

"He's made his choice, then. Get him, boys!" says Fricka.

For her own part, Fricka will ready an action to cast acid orb in the unlikely event she should get an unobstructed view of Philo.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Is that a readied action to cast the spell if he loses his soft cover from Faustus relative to her? Or is she waiting for a totally clear shot (which is to say that she wants one without cover and also without Philo being in melee)?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

I think you moved the wrong blue circle on the map.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

*waves a magic wand*

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

If there comes a moment when someone's not between her and Philo (as Cragar is currently) and when he's not engaged in melee, she'll loose an acid orb. And she'll aim for his face. She doesn't like him.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar goes full defensive, then moves SE (triggering Fricka's ready). He intends to continue moving into melee - can he change his mind about where he moves mid move?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Cronono wrote:

He intends to continue moving into melee - can he change his mind about where he moves mid move?

To some degree. Let's parse out his action economy for this.

But first of all, the rules for movement do not allow creatures to move diagonally around a corner; if Cragar wants to move into the square immediately SE of his current location, he must move S, then E. This is to be found in http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#measuringDistance, in the second line under "Diagonals." It's more prominent in the Player's Handbook v3.5, which devotes an illustration to the matter.

This probably doesn't matter much in the case at hand; Cragar can just move S, then SE instead. It doesn't matter too much.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#totalDefense gives us the information that he's spending a standard action to use the "total defense" action. One of the consequences of this action is that Cragar won't threaten squares until his next turn—you have to be able to make attacks of opportunity to threaten squares. I'll come back to that in a minute.

This leaves him a move action to work with. As a dwarf, Cragar can move up to 4 squares with a move action, so he can end up immediately S, SE, or E x SE from Faustus's current location. Moving diagonally costs three squares per two squares actually moved, alternating costs of one square and then two squares (see the aforementioned link on measuring distance). So if Cragar moves SE, that's one square of movement, but his next diagonal movement will cost him two squares. That doesn't leave him enough movement to get into a square adjacent to Philo. So he has fairly limited scope in which to change his mind about his destination square, at least if he wants to end up in an adjacent square. But he is under no obligation to end up adjacent to Philo.

Finally, because Cragar won't threaten squares while he uses the total defense action, Philo won't count as being in melee with him. So he won't trigger the -4 penalty for making a ranged attack into melee. On the other hand, he also won't function as a flanking backstop, and if Philo has some kind of spellcasting capability, he won't be in a position to interrupt any exercise of that. He will still be exposed to ordinary melee attack from Philo, albeit with a nice +4 bonus to his AC. That constitutes some risk for Cragar, which is somewhat mitigated if he is immediately NE or NW of Philo. Either placement would leave Philo with cover with respect to Cragar, but the converse also is true; Cragar would have cover with respect to Philo, as well.

On a related note, a perusal of the rules for cover (and particularly, of the illustrations in the Player's Handbook v3.5) indicates that Philo probably has cover, by virtue of the doorway he's standing inside of, with respect to all characters who are not due north of him.

Moving past him into the room he's standing inside of would seem to invoke the aforementioned limitation pertaining to diagonal movement past corners. I had previously forgotten about this limitation, because I don't often run combat encounters in highly constricted spaces like a dungeon or other indoor setting. So I must apologize to Obsidian_Spoon for my earlier error in leading him to believe that Faustus can tumble from the square immediately N of Philo and enter the room to the E or W of him. I was mistaken; that application of the Tumble skill isn't feasible. But a Tumble check (DC 25) would still allow movement through Philo's square without an attack of opportunity.

Other means of dealing with this bottleneck include Bull Rush and Overrun maneuvers. Both of these provoke attacks of opportunity, but a success would compromise Philo's defensive positioning.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, you guys had better hurry this up, because you REALLY don't want to be still trying to chop this dude's cock off on April Fool's Day.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar will just take his move to one square NE of Philo.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I was totally aiming to finish the job. It feels like if we do it on April 1st, it doesn't count the same as if we do it on any other day.

Of course, this being 3.5, he's really only out 910 XP and the time it takes to find a 7th level cleric who feels that even if the guy is a dick, he still deserves to have one. Might even be willing to work pro bono.

Darker

I see what you did there.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Regenerate lacks an XP component, fortunately.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, I guess that I should have Fricka roll attack and damage. I realize that Fixxxer has been talking about acid orb, but I think he actually means acid splash. Am I right?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

You are right. I have no excuse for transposing the name. No idea how I managed it.

Anyhow, with a sudden incantation, Fricka slings her hand toward the now-exposed Philo in an offhand motion, as though batting away an annoying fly. At the end of her motion, a splash of brown-ish liquid leaves her hand as though she'd somehow managed to have it hidden in her palm and sizzles it's way toward the man.

IN DA FACE!
I rolled 1d20, the result is 19 = 19.
I rolled 1d3, the result is 2 = 2.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Gruum's up.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Gruum will toss his javelin, aiming to injure, but not kill Philo. Afterward, he'll use his move action to take up his great club again, figuring next round will be skull smacking time if Philo wants to keep up his little show.

Nonlethal attack
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 16, -1 = 15.
I rolled 1d6+4, the result is 6, 4 = 10.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Ranged weapons that normally deal lethal damage cannot be used to inflict lethal damage, unfortunately.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Well damn, hope Gruum didn't kill him. I guess maybe the priest can cure him up to still alive?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Is he dead?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Someone will have to get a good look at him to ascertain whether he is dead or merely dying.

Either way, you're out of initiative.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar casts Cure Minor and pokes the body.

Does the spell discharge?

Darker

That's what the fucker gets for trying a fucking stand-off while bringing a sword to a fucking javelin fight.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Can Faust ready an action to knock the daylights out of Philo the second he's healed, so he'll have hitpoints, but a significant amount of nonlethal dmg?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes. In fact, he doesn't have to wait, or even make an attack roll. Against a helpless target, he can strike as a full-round action to auto-hit, so he'd just have to roll damage.

On a related note, if you stabilize this guy and leave him at negative hit points, unconscious, and unattended, he is not guaranteed to stay stable. He could wake up in a disabled state, or he could start losing hit points again at a rate of one every hour or so.

If he wakes up in a disabled state, he isn't guaranteed to start to regain hit points on his own, either. Indeed, left without help, he probably will not start healing, and instead will go into decline and pass out again, losing hit points at a rate of one per day.

Which is to say that if you leave him in negative hit points, he'll probably die.

If he's at positive hit points but has a big wad of non-lethal damage sitting on his books, then he's going to stay unconscious until he heals the non-lethal damage, which happens at a rate of 1 hit point per Hit Die per hour.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages