The Giggling Goblin (OOC)

213 posts / 0 new
Last post
Darker

Gruum will bring the thunder.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

It would have been convenient. But yeah, we're already soaked; what's another hour?

Are there bells or anything marking time we could hear to coordinate our actions if we split up?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

No.

In general, when I talk about how long a thing takes, or how long it will take, or a remaining duration, you should make the assumption that this is an approximation unless I am talking about the duration of a spell or similar effect. And even in that instance, you probably shouldn't try to cut things fine unless the count is expressed in rounds.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Tolrea lacks anything that resembles an accurate clock. The technology is not quite available. It's generally possible to differentiate between dawn, noon, dusk, full dark, and (when the moon is visible) lunar illumination. If you're someplace that affords you an unobstructed horizon, you might also be able to pin down sunrise, sunset, and moonrise/moon set.

All of these celestial markers vary to some degree based on seasonality, lunar cycle, and so forth. It's possible to set up accurate celestial timekeeping for periods of as little as an hour, if you are in a fixed location and are able to devote some time to sinking posts or erecting standing stones to help you track the movement of particular stars, but I don't think you'd get much utility out of that.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

If the new plan is to knock the guy out, Faust is well suited for it.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I'm guessing that Philo isn't going to call to Fricka's back again as she leaves. If that's the case, I'd assume that the new plan will be brute force on the door, followed by overwhelming Philo, either by knocking him unconscious or by holding him down and stuffing a gag in his mouth.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I feel as if Fricka would rather he were awake for it.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

She didn't have an opinion until he thwarted her attempts to get him to open the door. Now she does.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It sounds like you guys are going to find someplace to skulk around, wait for awhile in hopes that Philo goes to sleep or gets drunk or whatever, and then come back to do this via brute force. I'll wait until morning to give you a chance to confirm or deny, but I'm not seeing much sign of dissent thus far.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Confirmed

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Confirmed. Fricka had her chance and she blew it. Now we resort to someone else's strengths.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Also confirmed.

Darker

Sure

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, then. Who's going to be first through the door, who second, etc.?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

In the darkness, Crag would line folks up as orc, human, dwarf, female gnome, male gnome.

For obvious reasons, he wouldn't use names. Orc would go first, because orc.

Darker

Gruum and another strong arm will have to use their action to knock the door down, then someone can jump through to subdue the bastard. Any of the casters have spells that can be used? Maybe the Charm person plan can still be used?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Charm person could potentially work, still, but I think that Philo certainly would receive the +5 bonus to his saving throw for "being threatened or attacked by you or your allies."

But once he is charmed, I'm not sure what kind of requests you'd be able to make of him that wouldn't be obvious threats. You'll have kicked in his door, and given that you're here to cut off his penis and take it away with you, I imagine that most of your upcoming requests would be along the lines of "Take off your pants," and "here, now let us tie you up and gag you with your underpants."

If you were all relatively attractive gnomish females, this might sound like a party to Philo. But Fricka is the only woman present, and although she is attractive, Gruum is an enormous full-blood orc male, Faustus is a particularly unhappy-looking human male, Gravington is a tiny little bearded dude, and Cragar is . . . yeah.

Just saying, this is a pretty exotic scenario for a bondage-themed orgy, even if you luck out and Philo happens to be heteroflexible.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Unless someone has an item from which they can cast silence or a similar spell, I suspect that magic might not be overly useful here.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alright, so my understanding is that the order through the door is going to be Gruum, Faustus, Cragar, Fricka, Gravington. Is that right?

If so, Gruum is the guy who decides how to open this door. He has options.

He can try to burst the door open via a Str check. Each attempt is a standard action. If you think he can get away with it, you are technically capable of taking 20, but it'll take 20 rounds. Alternately, he can get Faustus to help him. But in that case, he can't take 20 (because Aid Another doesn't support that).

He also can try to destroy the actual door. In that case, he'd be using a weapon. He can, once per round, attack vs. AC 3, or he can full attack and auto-hit once per round. The door is made of wood, so it has hardness 5. So if Gruum uses a weapon in two hands, he is basically guaranteed to make SOME progress each round. Technically, Faustus is also capable of attacking the door because he's adjacent to it, although he would be doing it with his fists and feet.

The break DC and hit points are a secret, but Gruum suspects that it will be hard to open. It looks sturdy and seems in good repair. If there is a bar or something holding it shut, as seems likely from the fact that the door has no visible lock on it, then he could be at it for awhile even with help.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

If he takes a 20 for the strength check, is he making noise the whole time? And if he opens the door, can he still move into the room and take an action in the same round?

Darker

Also, I'd point out that Gruum does have a crowbar. For reasons.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Ah, so he does. That's handy.

If he's taking 20, then yes, he's making noise the whole time. But it's a series of standard actions, so he can move inside once the door is open. He wouldn't be able to act, but he could move up to his normal land speed.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Well, Gruum doesn't think that's very smart of him then. No, if he's opening the door, someone else can jump past him and run in first. He's not running in just to let this jackass get the first whack. Doesn't sound very prudent at all.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

If Faust is aiding in opening the door, that takes up his standard action too, yes?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

This is why you put the orc in front.

As a note, Cragar is going to begin contemplating how to make a crowbar into a "Crowbar of Silence." This may be his project for the rest of the campaign.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Obsidian_Spoon wrote:

If Faust is aiding in opening the door, that takes up his standard action too, yes?

Correct.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Cronono wrote:

This is why you put the orc in front.

As a note, Cragar is going to begin contemplating how to make a crowbar into a "Crowbar of Silence." This may be his project for the rest of the campaign.

Silence all by itself would work nicely, although I suppose its utility also depends on how you deploy it. All of the same Line of Effect concerns that we discussed with relation to charm spells apply as readily to silence. The other side of the door wouldn't be within the field of silence unless you found a way to get the effect to originate on the other side of the door.

I suppose you could cast it on a small object like a coin or a slip of paper, and then ease that underneath the door. It wouldn't do in a modern home with weather stripping that would make that difficult from a physical perspective, but in a quasi-medieval setting that wouldn't be a thing. If the silence emanates from a coin and the coin is on the other side of the door, you wouldn't make noise inside the apartment as you hammer the door off its hinges. The neighbors might still hear, but on a rainy night like tonight that is less of a concern than it might be at other times.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Why not have the crowbar cast silence on whatever it touches? In this case, it casts it on the door.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I guess it depends whether you want the effect to be mobile. It seems, now that I read more closely on the spell, that you could cast it on the door. But then it would remain stuck to the door, so if you needed more silence elsewhere, you'd have to take the door with you or cast the spell again.

You also can cast the spell in such a fashion as to have the emanation radiate from a point in space, but again that's stationary.

You even could cast it onto a creature, in which case there's a save allowed and then the effect follows that creature. But that's potentially troublesome depending on the creature.

Overall, I think that I probably would use a wand (or even a scroll) for this. A use-activated or command word activated item would price in the neighborhood of 11,000 to 12,000 gp. Less, if you limited it to only one or two uses per day. But it'd be expensive no matter what you did, and once you gain sufficient levels for 2nd-level spell slots to become plentiful and not the mainstay of your combat planning, I think that silence has more than enough utility and versatility that it's something you'd actually want to prepare every day.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I could see carrying the door around like Braum from League of Legends.

Darker

So should Gruum try to pop this thing open now?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Thumbs up from Cragar.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Do we want Faust to aid in breaking the door, or save his action for attacking if he has the chance?

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Unless Philo is waiting on the other side of the door with a loaded crossbow, or if he's a wizard or something, I don't see him really posing much of a threat to the group. A successful Aid Another attempt adds +2 to the Strength check to break the door, so I don't see much reason not to help when Cragar could just push past the duo into the open doorway, if immediate action is needed.

Also, thumbs up from Fricka on go-time.

Darker

Well, Grum's going to stick it in and give it a couple of quick pops. Then he'll use the crowbar on the door too.

Anyway, I figure if each attempt takes a round, he can make 4-5 attempts to get the door open. If none work out, there's plenty of time to back off if we don't want to make too much noise and want to retreat and plan something else. Who is going through first to knock the guy on his ass if he is waiting? And whoever is aiding, go ahead and make 5 checks so I can add to mine.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Cragar can assist, then Faustus can take point if Faustus is down with that sickness.

Darker

Roll those assists!

Cronono
Cronono's picture

ASSISTING

I rolled 1d20, the result is 18 = 18.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 9 = 9.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 10 = 10.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 9 = 9.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Worst. Dwarf. Ever.

This door should have been made out of stone.

Darker

Wait, he doesn't have any str bonus?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

That's not an unreasonable assumption.

Darker

Well, here goes some attempts.

I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 5, 8 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 12, 6 = 18.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 3, 6 = 9.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 18, 8 = 26.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 1, 6 = 7.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

If it doesn't pop on the 4th try, we might need a battering ram.

Darker

Well, depending on the DC, there was either 12 seconds of noise or 24 seconds of noise before the door came open.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Roll for initiative.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Init

Init
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 11, 2 = 13.
Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Init.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 11, 3 = 14.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Init

Init
I rolled 1d20, the result is 5 = 5.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Initiative

Init
I rolled 1d20, the result is 13 = 13.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Gravington

Initiative
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 18, 2 = 20.

Pages