Chapter 2: How Do They Rise Up? (OOC)

1656 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Init

Init
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 15, 4 = 19.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

Secrets
I rolled 1d8-1, the result is 4, -1 = 3.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 5 = 5.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 18 = 18.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 7 = 7.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 88 = 88.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 46 = 46.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 5 = 5.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Noted in the OOC section of the latest post, but worth repeating: everyone who was not on watch before Henrik's alarm is now prone. Standing up is a move action that provokes AoO. While you are prone, attackers in melee gain a +4 bonus to attacks against you . . . but ranged attacks suffer a -4 PENALTY.

Also, Henrik is not visible to any of you because there's a wall between you and him. He's audible without a problem, though, so if something runs out of the dark and starts mauling him, you should be able to enjoy his screams.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland stands up and readies his club and shield. "Never a dull moment," he observes, and encourages everyone else, "Up, up. Tout de suite," or whatever the equivalent bit of Dragonic would be.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I'm going to wait for Vandersrike's action before I update, although I feel like I can predict what his action is going to be: hide.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

It's almost like we've been playing this for a few years.

Hide!
I rolled 1d20+18, the result is 2, 18 = 20.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Henrik believes that his pained screams are particularly melodious and that is why they have brought joy to so many others in the past, not that they simply enjoy seeing him in pain. Fortunately, as a cleric, Henrik is almost as good as putting himself back together as the rest of the world is at tearing him apart.

It feels divine when he touches himself like that.

Darker

Swarbrick draws his sword and stands. If he can do both, he draws both his sword and dagger... otherwise, just the sword.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay. What's Kaarys doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Kaarys will stand and ready his bow. "You'd think the monsters'd learn by now that adventurers taste better well rested..."

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Kisasi will advance 8 squares east to get to the other side of the map where the noise came from, drawing his sword as he does so. I assume he already had his shield strapped to his arm while he was making his rounds on patrol.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let's have a Will save from Kisasi. DC 16.

I rolled 5d6, the result is 6, 3, 2, 6, 6 = 23.
I rolled 1d100.hits(11), the result is 95 = 1 vs. 11.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Fungah! Foiled again!

Will
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 11, 4 = 15.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Wow. Okay, then.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Henrik's turn. I didn't increment that part of the OOC section of the combat post.

Also, I promise I'm not singling Kisasi out for special treatment. He was the first person to satisfy the conditions for a readied action. I'm not trying to kill him so I can have a little graveyard full of MinusInnocence's characters from this campaign, or anything.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

There's a potential opponent between now and Armund's turn in the initiative. If nobody falls dead and an obvious enemy doesn't appear where he can see it, Armund will locate some nearby pebble or stone and grab it up as he gets to his feet.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Henrik is going to run (x4) west 80', moving slightly south to avoid the undergrowth. If my figuring is correct, he'll end in the square directly NW of the fireplace, 15' to the east of Gray 7 (Livestock). It's not clear to him whether the scorpiontaur has darkvision, but trying to take this thing in single combat doesn't seem smart.

IC: It looks like the kobold's influence if finally showing. Henrik takes one look at the creature, then turns and bolts in the other direction. It might look like cowardice (and would certainly make Vandersrike proud), but Henrik's motivation isn't simply to avoid fighting this thing on his own. If it wasn't already too late for Kissai, it would be up to Henrik and his stubby legs to save him.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Henrik must move in a straight line for the entirety of his run action, so he can't dogleg around the undergrowth. He could attempt a Jump check (DC 15) to go OVER the undergrowth, if you like, since he will have moved at least 20 feet before he encounters that section of his path. If he fails, he'll stop in whatever square he lands in. If he rolls higher than 10, that isn't really a total failure, since he'll at least have some brush between him and the scorpiontaur, as well as concealment (20%), which wouldn't be awful if it starts swinging.

If that doesn't appeal, then he could try going SSW towards the end of the farmhouse wall, not far from where Kaarys is standing.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Jump. I think there is a -4 for being slow and a bonus for Strength, so I think I'm at -1. Not great odds for heroic fantasy, but perfect for comedy relief.

"Fuck me! He cleared it!" - Will Scarlet
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 11, -1 = 10.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Or not. I misremembered the penalty for stubby legs: it is -6. Also, Str is +2 not +3, so that goes to a 7 instead of a 10. Net -4, so it wasn't impossible, merely improbable.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland isn't sure at all how to proceed. "Advice? Whatever that is sounds nasty." He delays.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

What's Vandersrike doing?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

If there is a way to get to Kiasi without being obvious in the light, that.

If not, he's going to move SE 4 squares and ready an action to murder a monster with his claw. He would like to maintain stealth.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Vandersrike has to move at half-speed while hidden. If he wants to move 4 SE, he won't have an action left over to ready at the end, because 4 squares of diagonal movement is equal to 30 feet, which is his base speed. A move action can cover up to 3 horizontal or vertical squares, or up to two diagonal squares. If he moved E E SE, that'd count as 3 squares rather than two, because diagonal movement counts as a single square and then double, alternating.

The pale blue area is under shadowy illumination, which grants concealment. Vandersrike can pass through that region while hiding in order to reach Kisasi, but if the enemy has low-light vision, he will not be concealed. The darker blue area is shadowy to low-light vision, but I think the distance becomes prohibitive if he goes that far out of his way. If the enemy has darkvision, such a pathway would be more likely to bring him within view, at which point he would, again, lose his concealment.

He could make an attempt to reach Kisasi by moving 2 SE, S, SW, but he'd be taking a calculated risk. Kisasi wasn't hiding, so it's not immediately apparent whether he was picked off by someone who could see him as if brightly lit, or by someone who just aimed for a shadowy figure that he was pretty sure wasn't on his own team.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Calculated risk it is. He'll break hiding, move to Kisasi, try to pull him into the darkness, and consider hiding next round.

He'll also muse about how Henrik is doing what he should be doing, but that internal dialogue won't be manifestly obvious.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

To be clear, he could make the movement under stealth. It would take him two or three rounds to do it, though, and that's kind of an uncertain proposition during combat.

If he wants to minimize exposure, he can move due west without stealth. He'd need to pass through four squares of bright illumination, but whatever took down Kisasi will not have had a chance to ready an action yet. And after that, he can move in full darkness heading SW, all the way to Kisasi. That precludes the need to hide at all, since he'd be visible to anything that has darkvision/blindsight and is in range to see him, and invisible to all others. If he wanted to do it quietly, then a Move Silently check would be in order, and he'd need two rounds to get there instead of just one. I don't know if it's worth bothering, though. He'll be visible crossing in front of the light, so if an opponent wants to try to close in on him, they'll already know the general area in which to search.

I don't think Kisasi weighs more than 375 lbs. even with his armor on, so after that Vandersrike should be able to drag him. He's a big guy, though, so Vandersrike will be moving slower while he does that. 20 ft. instead of his usual base rate of 30 ft.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Apologies for the delay. Vandersrike will break hiding, move directly to Kisasi, and attempt to drag Kisasi back toward the group.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Just to make sure that I understand your intentions: the most direct route will leave Vandersrike in the same square as Kisasi at the end of his movement. He'll be in shadowy illumination (bright illumination for low-light vision). That's what you want?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Swarbrick's turn.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Swarbrick is going to delay until he can see more of what's going on.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Kaarys is going to double move to the corner square beside the fireplace, so he has walls to the left and top of his square.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 20, 4 = 24.
I rolled 1d6+4, the result is 1, 4 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 9, 3 = 12.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 17, 4 = 21.
I rolled 1d6+4, the result is 3, 4 = 7.
Will save, Vandersrike
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 3 = 3.
Stabilization, Kisasi
I rolled 1d100, the result is 84 = 84.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Here's to hoping.

Henrik attempts to cast Sanctuary defensively. His normal bonus on Concentration is +9; +13 with Combat Casting when attempting to do so defensively (so as to avoid an Attack of Opportunity). Assuming he succeeds on the spell, he'll find out if it works by standing up.

IC: Henrik hears as much as sees the creature bearing down on him, bearing a sword that will end his existence if it connects with him. It went without saying that Henrik was afraid, even more so when it looked like the ghouls would overwhelm and tear him apart. But Henrik had known this moment was coming - not the specifics, but generally. He had saved a special prayer for this moment. "Oeí narho rast az felrast hreth rak ach." The prayer would allow him to remain safe even when surrounded by enemies, but like all magical wards it could be overcome by greater faith. He simply had to hope that it was enough. With the spell successfully cast, he rose to shaky feet, confident that he would know whether he would survive the night with this action.

Concentration (DC 16)
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 3, 13 = 16.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Henrik isn't prone, you know. He's in a patch of brush, but he didn't fall or anything. So if your action was dictated by the belief that he wasn't in a position to flee . . . well. He is. A step SW or NW from his current position breaks him free of the underbrush.

He'd potentially take an AoO unless he used the withdraw full-round action.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I did think I was prone. But still casting sanctuary. Then moving away. I'm fine with provoking (my faith is my shield). If sanctuary holds, it'll impact my next couple of actions. If it doesn't protect from the spider-taur, I'd like to know right away.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I'd like to wait until the potential baddie before Armund in the initiative acts before deciding on Armund's action.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Are any of our delaying characters going to do anything? Guess I ought to ask.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Sure. Swarbrick is going to take a double move toward the horses.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

I rolled 4d6, the result is 5, 1, 2, 5 = 13.
I rolled 1d100.hits(11), the result is 51 = 1 vs. 11.
Will save vs. sanctuary spell
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 14, 4 = 18.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let's get a Will save from Swarbrick. DC 16. It counts as a spell or spell-like effect.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Ouch... that's his weakest by far... he's not what you would call a wise or self-control type of guy.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 8, 1 = 9.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

This could definitely be going better.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Anybody have character ideas for after the TPK?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well, some good news: I had forgotten that the scorpiontaur does not have reach. The template I used follows the base creature (a Large scorpion, in this case). The scorpion doesn't have reach because it's Large (long) rather than Large (tall), so neither does this monstrosity. So Henrik won't suffer AoO as he flees.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Did he make his save against Sanctuary?

Edit - I see it now. I don't think that was there originally. DAMN. Now I'm sad.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Purely hypothetically, if someone in the group were deciding to ride off on their horse, how difficult would it be to get the horse free to escape upon?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Obsidian_Spoon wrote:

Purely hypothetically, if someone in the group were deciding to ride off on their horse, how difficult would it be to get the horse free to escape upon?

Hmm, let's say that they're hobbled to keep them from wandering but allow them to move around a little during the night, so as to graze and so forth. We'll call it a move action to get the hobbles off of a horse.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Armund will cast light -his one remaining spell for the day- on the stone he holds. He'll toss it into the darkness, aiming generally for a spot about 50ft south and 30ft west of his current position.

I'm including a ranged attack roll for the sake of convenience, in case such will be required to hit the general spot Armund wants with the stone. It doesn't include any modifiers for range increment or anything else. I'm also including a d8 roll on the chance that he misses, assuming the grenade weapon chart might be used.

Rolls
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
I rolled 1d8, the result is 4 = 4.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Nicely done.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Who would have guessed that Rasnak is back?

Pages