Chapter 2: How Do They Rise Up? (OOC)

1429 posts / 0 new
Last post
Darker

Swarbrick is all for 1) or 3) but not 2). But honestly, he's not being paid enough to compensate for the cost of magical healing on a mission that isn't likely to get any other rewards unless they screw up and get in another fight. He will pay Leland market price per charge for the use of his wand and if alright with Dafyd, he'll have made that clear OOC. When they find his horse, it's likely it'll need at least one, maybe two hits of that sweet, sweet healing power.

Swarbrick is also really wondering what the plan is. They know of a place they *might* find this beast, but with orders to only observe and not engage and several non-sneaky party members, how realistic is this to actually turn out well? Seems like they should escort the super sneaky kobold a bit closer and then let him do his super sneaky thing to complete the mission.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Just a thought: you're only really traveling as fast as Henrik can go (he's on foot and is the slowest party member). This isn't ideal from the perspective of covering ground quickly, but it does mean that if you wanted to hedge your bets, you could wake up in the morning, canvas the area on foot, and then head back to the village and try to make it home regardless of the outcome. If you don't use your horses to search the area, you won't get them tired, which would mean you don't have to worry about force marching THEM. Just yourselves, and you'll take non-lethal damage.

This approach also would mean that overnight, you can rely primarily on natural healing. If Leland provides long-term care, most of you would end up at or near full HP.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Let's stick with option one. People can deal with their own healing as needed and natural healing will help. Vandersrike will volunteer to take 4-6 hours of watch since he doesn't need any more healing. In the absolute worst case scenario, he'll keep watch all night then curl up inside someone's saddle pack for the trip back tomorrow.

There were 2 hours until sunset - after whatever time it takes to heal up and reassemble, we'll push forward until there is another hour remaining. We'll take the hour before sunset to set up camp.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

There's also Option 4.

We grab a peasant, then assert that they're totally responsible for the attempt on the Marchioness's life. It works for the police. :)

If someone wants to put Henrik on their horse, that would also speed us up.

Darker

I don't think anyone trusts Hendrick to ride behind Then. "Stop sticking that axe handle in my back!"

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Yes, I think I'd want Henrik riding in front of me. Definitely not behind.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

He's willing to ride solo. Or be ridden solo. If that's a thing.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Two words.

Kobold. Hat.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Let's put this to a vote.

Out of options #1 (heal up and go on with your search), #2 (run back to the village and rest, then try again in the morning), or #3 (run back, rest, and then go home), which do you favor?

Each player should vote for ONE of these options. You have 24 hours to decide what to do. If there's a tie, I'll break it in favor of whichever option I think is going to turn out worst for you collectively.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Also, a big thank you to Cronono for presenting a chasm of awfulness that yawns wider the more I contemplate it.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Yawning.
Kobold.
Hat.

It gets worse with every explanation.

Option 1.

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

If healing him up beyond half-dead is going to happen, Kaarys is for option 1. He doesn't quite share Swar's opinion of paying for the charges in coin, but he'll make it count in damage dealt to would-be devourers of the party.

Darker

Well, Swarbrick isn't for paying, but he'll pay if it means getting healed. He forgets that everyone isn't as mercenary as he is.

Swarbrick is for option 1.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

#1. Let's ride this til the wheels come off.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Option 1.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Option #1. I'm about to drive 600 miles, so I am not able to post for a bit. Feel free to roll CLWs from the wand, if you'll keep add up the charges?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, let's see.

Armund has taken 9 points of damage.
Kaarys has taken 10 points of damage.
Kisasi has taken 2 points of damage.
Kisasi's horse has taken 5 points of damage.
Leland has taken 12 points of damage.
Sally has taken 17 points of damage. She is unconscious.
Swarbrick has taken 2 points of damage.
Swarbrick's horse has taken 18 points of damage.

CLW from wand, Armund, 2 charges
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.
CLW from wand, Kaarys, 2 charges
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 8, 1 = 9.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
CLW from wand, Leland, 3 charges
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 2, 1 = 3.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 6, 1 = 7.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
Sally, CLW from wand, 2 charges
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 6, 1 = 7.
Swarbrick's Horse, CLW from wand, 2 charges
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 8, 1 = 9.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Kaarys has taken 1 point of damage.
Kisasi has taken 2 points of damage.
Kisasi's horse has taken 5 points of damage.
Swarbrick has taken 2 points of damage.
Swarbrick's horse has taken 4 points of damage.

11 charges expended from Leland's wand.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'm late to the party, but I'm also for Option 1. Consensus!

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Wait, the rolls for Kaarys were 9 and 2, yeah? So isn't he fully healed?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

After the 9, Leland basically said, "He looks good." And then he moved on and applied the 2 points to himself, and then the ones with 3 and 7 as well, and so on.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Right, my impression is that you guys are going to make a camp when it starts to get dark. Are you attempting to build fires? What is your watch schedule looking like?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

As a dwarf, I'll take the darkest watch.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

As a dwarf, I'll take the darkest watch.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Well, tonight's the last night of the full moon, and the weather is clearing from heavy clouds associated with the storm. So probably that makes the first watch after sunset the darkest.

Depending on where you set up your camp, the moon will cast sufficient illumination that those characters with low-light vision will be able to see normally. If you find a reasonably open spot, that ambient lighting will be available. If you were to camp right where you killed the bothrians, by comparison, the tree canopy will block out most of the moonlight.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Armund's good for any watch if we find a spot where his low-light vision can be used. He'll try to find such a spot, with an eye toward somewhere where we won't need a fire through the night.

Survival
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 16, 11 = 27.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Kisasi is not terribly observant so he would prefer to join Henrik or pair up with Vandersrike for last watch, leaving the hours with most moonlight exposure in the middle of the night for characters with low-light vision.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alright, let's see. You've got a total of about 11 hours of night, but we'll figure that the first hour after sunset or so is going to be concerned with getting a meal together, securing water, finding a safe place to take a dump, etc. So we'll say that you're just looking to cover the 10 hours between bedtime and sunrise.

Watch 1 - Henrik and Kisasi
Watch 2 - Armund
Watch 3 - Kaarys
Watch 4 - Swarbrick
Watch 5 - Vandersrike and Leland

This gives everyone 8 hours of rest if you're undisturbed. The first and last watches are in a position to get eight hours uninterrupted. Sound okay?

A Survival check or Knowledge (geography) check gets you some basic control over the details of your campsite.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages