Chapter 14: Visionaries (OOC)

599 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Talanall wrote:

Mariners are sometimes a bit strange, though. So maybe there's nothing sinister about this staircase at all.

Or maybe it's plotting a murder.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!

Darker

What does a magical contrivance has been disjoined mean?

Bard stuff; Magic stuff
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 14, 15 = 29.
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 4, 12 = 16.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alannah does not know what the old codger is getting at.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

What next? Track down Wisten Howe and see what it'll take to get access to the library?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Time for Garren to show a little leg

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Two questions on that...

1. Can getting the library access handled OOC? Or is it more likely to be more complicated than getting access to the others?
2. I had thought to wait to secure access until it was clear it was going to be needed. At the moment, Oskav has a much better Arcana check and hasn't yet attempted to answer any questions. I think MI said that when it was done with his private work that he'd be willing to help as long as he could gloat that he was better than Alannah. So the question is: does Alannah think they will be better off finding him and asking now, or just as well off doing it later if/when they are actually going to be doing the research?

On a side note, I had said earlier that Alannah checked every evening for any sense that Cole has returned to the plane. I apologize for not really bringing up again to double check, but is it understood that she's gotten no signal of his return via circle dance?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I guess it depends on how long you guys want to hang out around town. It's been a few days since Oskav got lost in his pile of books and he hasn't come up for air yet. I lost track of how long he's been transcribing spells into his books, actually, but it definitely hasn't been the full amount of time I alotted for that.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Well, Alannah is convinced now that they did indeed get a piece of the necklace, so if they flaunt it well enough, Cole should eventually come to them... making the hunt less urgent. Also the fact that at least one other piece is in or near Port Hope increases the chances that he might come there.

Though the party has considered going to adventure in hag castle or find dragon mama, I think another alternative might be to look for other pieces -- which will require going to hang with the halflings. What does everyone else think (OOC or IC)?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Timeline-wise, Oskav started his transcriptions on 7 Verdil, the same morning that the other Bastards went off to contract Markan as their finder. 9 Verdil was the audience with the duke, and 10 Verdil was your purchase of this fragment of the necklace, as well as your discussion with Earl Greyden (whom I liked a lot more than I expected).

Thus far, the Bastards, minus Oskav, have attempted and either failed or answered their questions on Knowledge (history), (planes), (arcana), (nature), and (religion). Knowledge (geography) and (local) are still outstanding. I think some of the results linked here are items that you've already decided will be revisited in better libraries than the ones you used at the start.

Oskav was going to be busy for a total of nine days. Right now, he's on day 4 of his transcription project. Whether he finishes before the others is going to depend a little bit on how many questions they want to revisit, and in which libraries.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:

Two questions on that...

1. Can getting the library access handled OOC? Or is it more likely to be more complicated than getting access to the others?
2. I had thought to wait to secure access until it was clear it was going to be needed. At the moment, Oskav has a much better Arcana check and hasn't yet attempted to answer any questions. I think MI said that when it was done with his private work that he'd be willing to help as long as he could gloat that he was better than Alannah. So the question is: does Alannah think they will be better off finding him and asking now, or just as well off doing it later if/when they are actually going to be doing the research?

You can handle this IC or OOC, now or later. I don't much care which.

Quote:

On a side note, I had said earlier that Alannah checked every evening for any sense that Cole has returned to the plane. I apologize for not really bringing up again to double check, but is it understood that she's gotten no signal of his return via circle dance?

No sign of him so far.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Then let's say OOC for asking for permission from Wisten Howe or his underlings unless another party member wishes the opportunity to RP the meeting for other motives.

Alannah hogged most of that RP, I think now they should consider getting to a private place and decided what to do, maybe even (ugh) meeting up with Oskav during a break to get his input. Others should have the opportunity to run their errands or quests if there are any more to do other than the research that is left. There could be questions and some characters (not sure) may want Alannah to explain just what she learned about Cole's relationship with the Fey noblewoman and necklace and sowing chaos and all.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The Greyden library requires a subscription of 50 gp per person per year for access to its stacks. No food, drink, or flames, even for lighting, are permitted in the library or reading area. Volumes from the collection are not permitted to be taken out of the library or reading area. Greyden House accepts subscriber visits only during daylight hours, but in practical terms, this isn't much of a restriction unless you're able to see in the dark or have unlimited access to magical lighting.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

For his own, Chuul's chores right now are:

1: Getting his guisarme silvered, which he'll do at the place recommended to us by Markan, if they have the time.

2: Acquiring a trained horse large enough for his needs (the horse Talanall posted stats for somewhere in this thread), as well as the related tack and saddle. He wants Garren's help with this, as his knowledge of animals is much better than Chuul's.

These things can be handled IC or OOC.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Now that things have died down (hopefully) Avar will go see Qisit. PM, OOC, or IC wprks for me.

Darker

Man, Alannah wants to be there for that.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Decide how you want to handle it, BR.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Fixxxer wrote:

For his own, Chuul's chores right now are:

1: Getting his guisarme silvered, which he'll do at the place recommended to us by Markan, if they have the time.

I assumed that Chuul stopped by the cutler immediately after meeting with her, and set that in motion. I think you wanted to have it rushed for a total of 360 gp, so just edit your sheet to reflect the completed work. He'll be able to pick up his silvered weapon on 11 Verdil, which is tomorrow from the In Character reckoning of present time.

Quote:

2: Acquiring a trained horse large enough for his needs (the horse Talanall posted stats for somewhere in this thread), as well as the related tack and saddle. He wants Garren's help with this, as his knowledge of animals is much better than Chuul's.

These things can be handled IC or OOC.

Sir Fluffernutter, I think you named him. here's the stat block. Eventually I'll add this to the Tolrea bestiary. Market value is 800 gp if you want to do it OOC. If you want to do it IC, that's fine with me. Or DDMW can decide.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Talanall wrote:

Decide how you want to handle it, BR.


IC....I want Avars death, like Rysters, available for everyone to read about.
Darker

Board Rider wrote:
Talanall wrote:

Decide how you want to handle it, BR.

IC....I want Avars death, like Rysters, available for everyone to read about.


Techincally Ryster's death was OOC. We only found the body.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

True. But the details and everything else was posted IC. I was going more for the reading and description of Avars demise much as it was done for Ryster.

But, sure, the actual death was OOC.

Darker

It looks like Alannah isn't the only one good at burning bridges.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Let's see if Avar can win this guy over. Come on dice roller!

Diplomacy
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 7, 9 = 16.
Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Well, shit.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

When the orc is starting to become one of the better-tolerated members of the group.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Maybe this priest is just especially salty.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

I've updated Chuul's sheet to reflect the cost of the silvering process, as well as the -1 penalty to damage rolls that comes with it. Unless something unexpected happens to the group that would prevent it, I do intend for him to purchase Sir Fluffernutter, but I haven't accounted for it in his sheet yet because we haven't heard from DDMW whether he'd prefer to handle Garren's help IC or not.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

OOC is fine. I'm super-busy at the moment...

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Cool. I'll go ahead and reflect the cost of the beast from Chuul's stat block, then. Will Chuul need to purchase a special saddle or anything?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

No, these are regular horses, just with a myostatin deficiency. Think of them as the equine equivalent of Piedmontese beef.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Like that. Except without horns.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Repost of your a List-o-Things. Strikethrough indicates a completed item. Green items are in some sense ongoing. Items in grey are in need of player input. Red items are failed.

  1. Introduce Arkady and his children to the Temple of Derena, in support of charitable treatment for Rodion's and Yana's exposure to the curse of lycanthropy.
  2. Scry on Cole, if possible with the assistance of Temple-Warden Geddan Burke.
  3. If practical, arrange to provide official notice to the government of Port Hope concerning the Incident at Morville.
  4. If practical, provide notice of confirmed goblin and kobold activity between Morville and Golden Sheaves in the period immediately following the Incident.
  5. If practical, provide assistance to Jalen in authenticating himself at court.
  6. Figure out your next move in your ongoing feud with Cole. 
  7. Research the lore associated with the origins of Berger Cole, general information on the powers and weaknesses of night and true hags, the planar and natural surroundings of the Triune Fortress of Zoratadya, and the nature of the Bone Necklace, provenance and habits of extraplanar dragons, and a few other topics.
  8. Make an expedition into the wilderness of the northern moors to visit the fortress of the night hag Zoratadya.
  9. Attempt to draw Berger Cole into coming to you, by beginning The Bone Necklace (see the subheading under Hail to the King, Baby).
    1. Search Port Hope for fragments of the Bone Necklace. Obtain as many as possible.
    2. If possible, assist in the spread of rumors that you have possession of at least one necklace fragment.
    3. ??
  10. Sell your loot.
    1. Georgie claims anklet of translocation, loses acrobat boots.
    2. Chuul claims ring of sustenance, acrobat boots and a potion of bull's strength.
    3. Alannah claims hammersphere. Individual sale of +1 light crossbow, 6 bolts, 4 silver bolts.
  11. Buy gear in support of #8 and #9.
    1. Spells for Oskav (purchase and copy): (0) stinking cloud (no purchase needed, copy only from Gallielle's book in trade for access to haste), (2) invisibility sphere, (4) magic circle against evil, (5) protection from energy, (3) sleet storm and (1) slow. Numbers indicate priority.
    2. Commission water-producing item for Oskav (approx. 5 uses/day, 1 gallon/use). Possibly contingent upon going into desert.
    3. Scrying mirror (Garren).
    4. Apply silver to +1 guisarme (Chuul).
    5. Acquire a heavy-duty mount (Chuul).
    6. Head slot item: passively understand spoken language, as if via a touch-free version of comprehend languages, continuous use-activated, plus 1 dose silversheen (Avar).
    7. 6x scrolls of create water, 2x scrolls of purify food and drink, 2x blessed bandages, everlasting rations. Possible substitution for partially consumed wand(s). Possibly contingent upon going into desert (Alannah).
  12. Assorted and miscellaneous tasks.
    1. Seek and join an arcane society (Oskav).
    2. Be a guidance counselor for Rodion (Oskav).
    3. Obtain aid for Golden Sheaves in the form of material components for defensive lighting.
    4. Lift fey debt (Avar).
    5. Write to Father Dearest, care of Jalen (Alannah).
    6. Damage control with Church of Agon.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

I have nothing to add, nor any more money to purchase, stuff for a potential run into the dunes.

I am interested in Avar in trying to help with the damage control for his church. However, as a.player I don't know what options I have.

Darker

Well damn, now Alannah is going to owe Jalen that letter and/or a meeting if they failed to introduce him at court.

Wait, did Jalen split his share with the party so that we'd owe him a favor? Or so Alannah would?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Board Rider wrote:

I have nothing to add, nor any more money to purchase, stuff for a potential run into the dunes.

I am interested in Avar in trying to help with the damage control for his church. However, as a.player I don't know what options I have.

That item refers to what I assume to be Avar's desire to mend fences with the local church. He already tried the most direct means at his disposal, which was to go and ask for a meeting with the Lawkeeper, but I think we've established that they're upset with him, and also that they have other things on their mind.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the firebombing is related to the sentry's disinclination to open up the gate for Avar, but the situation probably is a little murky from Avar's perspective. So I don't think it's surprising that Avar didn't make any headway with the direct approach, despite his basic charisma; it's hard to fix a problem when you don't know exactly what it is and the other person won't tell you anything. I guess he could try again with the Bastards in tow, and hope that someone will come up with something. But despite Alannah being a more skilled negotiator, she's still working uphill. So maybe that won't get him anywhere, or it might even make things worse. Alannah has been on a roll lately, but when she clashes with someone, she REALLY clashes.

If asking for help from the rest of the party doesn't get him anywhere, he'll probably have to use an intermediary or other indirect means of 1) finding out exactly what's happening and 2) getting in to try to smooth things over.

It seems obvious that the Surcaptain's Guard knows something about what happened, since there were guardsmen patrolling the area outside the walls. But it's hard to say whether the Palace is going to be much help, and I dunno how eager Avar's going to be to approach the ducal government and ask a bunch of questions about the business of his own church.

A similar problem presents itself if he asks around in the ecclesiastical community.

Then, too, there's the fact that this is a relatively major temple in the city, and it's been firebombed. So there's little doubt that the town rumor mill knows SOMETHING happened and is theorizing about why, and how, and what it all means. The rumors may not be 100% accurate, but it might give him a clue.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Darker wrote:

Well damn, now Alannah is going to owe Jalen that letter and/or a meeting if they failed to introduce him at court.

Wait, did Jalen split his share with the party so that we'd owe him a favor? Or so Alannah would?

The latter, I think, since it was divided up rather than given to her in particular. Thus far, he hasn't asked for help. In fact, he's been keeping pretty well to himself since the Bastards' court appearance. I guess he's trying to figure WTF to do now.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Just an FYI, she’ll assure Jalen she’ll help somehow — at this point she’s waiting to be approached by her family and figured she’ll deal with it when it happens and make their introduction at the same time. Bare minimum she’ll write a letter of introduction for him.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar will try to get in touch with Markan given she is the only person he has contacted in Port Hope that can get to the bottom of things.

He will also try the palace. No

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Board Rider wrote:

Avar will try to get in touch with Markan given she is the only person he has contacted in Port Hope that can get to the bottom of things.

He will also try the palace.

Okay, I'll pick this up shortly.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Bringing this up to date.

Some questions appear under more than one heading in the listings below. Depending on the question, getting a complete answer may require successful checks under multiple Knowledge disciplines.

In all cases, the libraries noted below confer a circumstance bonus.

Research in a library is a function of its size and quality. Better libraries have more material, but it takes longer to find what you're looking for.

The difficulty of finding the information you want on a given question is denoted thus. Simple (probably doesn't require a library); Easy (reference works may be helpful to ensure a useful outcome); Advanced (reference works are necessary to be sure of accurate information); Complex (useful results aren't guaranteed even with reference materials); Obscure (finding a useful answer is unlikely even with the aid of a library).

For some questions, a higher result yields better outcomes. These are marked with a *; higher results yield additional pieces of usable information, typically based on increments of 2 or 5 points above the base difficulty required for success.

Knowledge (history)
The best library in the city for research pertaining to its founders and early history undoubtedly would be the archives at the ducal palace, since it contains original documents from the period. The Ducal Archive would confer a +8 bonus to Knowledge (history) checks for questions #1-3, below. For other inquiries, it is "only" capable of granting a +6 bonus. Finding pertinent material on a query takes 1d4+4 hours.

There also is a variety of private artwork which may include depictions of key figures from the early history of Port Hope. If this Cole person was a boon companion of the city's namesake, and he was known for his fancy bone necklace, then perhaps there's a picture of him in there. Getting access to the artwork may take some wheeling, since the palace is an official building that also serves as a private residence.

Coming in at a distant second place would be the Temple of Agon, which really is better if you're interested in genealogy [Knowledge (nobility and royalty)] or legal matters [Knowledge (local)]; it would confer a +6 bonus to either of those topics. But it also includes chronicles and things of that nature, and would provide a +4 bonus for Knowledge (history). Finding pertinent material takes 1d6-2 hours.

There's also a private library belonging to Sir Sirvian, a baronet who's got a reputation as a local historian, but it's kind of a hodgepodge of material and he's widely regarded as an eccentric. His library would confer a +2 bonus. Finding relevant material takes 6d20 minutes.

  1. Who has gone to Zoratadya's fortress since she was "killed?"
  2. Any records of sages that studied it?
  3. What happened to Merestone Hope I?
  4. Who's this Virgil Cole guy?*
  5. What happened to the others of their merry, cursed band?
  6. Anything about the necklace Virgil wore or any items or artifacts that were similar in appearance?

Answers are here: https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/25489#comment-25489. Results were obtained in Sir Servian's library. Questions 1, 2 and 4 (Alannah 19, Gallielle 23, Gallielle 23, respectively) may yield to investigation in a better archive.

Knowledge (the planes)
The best library in the city for planar lore is privately held by Wist Howe, the Earl of Greyden, who is arguably the most skilled arcanist living in Port Hope. He usually has nothing to do with ordinary people outside of his household servants. Persistent rumors suggest that he has a habit of turning them into fish when they displease him, so that may be just as well. In addition to being maniacally focused on his arcane studies, the earl is an extremely old man. Most of the family's day-to-day business is managed by his son and heir, Wisten Howe, who isn't exactly a young man himself. The younger Howe is reputedly some kind of second-rate magus in his own right, but he's better known as an incorrigible lecher. There's also a grandson, who Alannah is pretty sure was being considered as a marriage match for her before she put a stop to such nonsense by running off. The Greyden Library confers a +4 circumstance bonus to Knowledge (the planes) checks. Finding sources takes 1d6-1 hours.

The library at the Temple of Derena is the next best resource, conferring a +2 bonus to Knowledge (the planes) checks. Checks require 6d20 minutes.

  1. What's the possibility of the Big Bad Zoro Hag being alive?
  2. Do [night] hags have a weakness?*
  3. What happens to their their heartstones when they die?
  4. Can they go dead or dormant and what can wake them??
  5. Are they tied to a certain hag?
  6. What happened to Big Bad Zoro Hag's stone?
  7. All about [night] hag curses--particularly, can they cause lycanthropy?*
  8. Any records of rifts opening and big bad dragons coming out?
  9. What kind of terrain is around the fortress and exactly how far is it and what kind of ground would be covered?
  10. Who has gone to Zoratadya's fortress since she was "killed?"
  11. What supplies to take with them?

Answers to 1 and 2 are here: https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/25522#comment-25522.

Answers to 3 through 11 are here: https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/25772#comment-25772.

All results currently reflect the use of the library at the Temple of Derena. Question 7 may yield to research in a better facility.

Knowledge (arcana)
The Greyden Library shows up here, as well, offering a +6 bonus to Knowledge (arcana) checks. Many of the volumes contained in Wist Howe's collection are reputedly unique, and rumor has it that he may even include some notable grimoires other than his own. Those would certainly be kept under lock and key. Checks require 1d4+4 hours.

House Alastar is reputed to have a library that's nearly as good as the Greyden. Alannah is probably gratified to note that the librarian doesn't know who she is; sadly the librarian also is right; her family DOES have an excellent collection. Getting access to it would require her to make contact with her family, but it would confer a +4 bonus to her checks. Checks require 1d6-2 hours.

Finally, various wizard, sorcerers, and lorekeepers scattered around the city have small, relatively unremarkable libraries that would confer a +2 bonus. Checks call for 6d20 minutes of research.

Often these figures are members of an arcane society that (in aggregate) has a much nicer collection, but getting hold of the specific sources you need is a lengthy process that involves much visiting, gossip, handshaking, and so forth. If you had more time, joining an arcane society and chasing down the best sources could yield a bonus rivaling the Greyden collection. But you're in a rush by the standards of arcane scholarship, so you hardly have 1d6+2 days to spend on each check.

  1. Is there magic that could trap a hag?*
  2. Anything about the necklace Virgil wore or any items or artifacts that were similar in appearance?
  3. All about bone carving magic items.*
  4. Any records of rifts opening and big bad dragons coming out?
  5. All about [annis/green/night/sea] hag curses--particularly, can they cause lycanthropy?
  6. Any information on artifacts or magic specifically related to lycanthropes?*
  7. Any spells for protection or to damage lycanthropes*

Answers at https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/26877#comment-26877. #2 probably would yield to research in a better library, but it's questionable whether said research will better the outputs of the Bastards' discussion with Wist Howe, Earl Greyden. Questions 3, 6, and 7 may yield better results in a better library.

Knowledge (nature)
People don't think of cities as being places that have druids in residence, but that's not really true. The Blight Wardens are a druidic order that concerns itself with fighting the spread of disease, which is often an urban issue. They have a chapter in Port Hope, and it maintains a surprisingly good library if you're interested in naturalism and related topics. Their collection would confer a +4 bonus to Knowledge (nature) checks, and would also be useful for inquiries for Knowledge (geography).

The Temple of Merthia's collection rivals that of the Blight Wardens, providing similar benefits. In either case, checks take 1d6-2 hours.

The Temple of Derena has a modest library on natural topics, conferring a +2 bonus for Knowledge (nature). Checks take 6d20 minutes.

  1. Do [annis/green/sea] hags have a weakness?*
  2. All about [annis/green/night/sea] hag curses--particularly, can they cause lycanthropy?
  3. Any information on artifacts or magic specifically related to lycanthropes?
  4. Any spells for protection or to damage lycanthropes
  5. Are there any snake or lizard lycanthropes?*
  6. Anyone done studies about the local mob/wererats?*

Answers at https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/27000#comment-27000. 

Knowledge (geography)
As previously noted, the Blight Warden druids maintain what is probably the city's best resource for this topic, offering a +4 bonus on checks that requires 1d6-2 hours to obtain.

The Church of Oceus is another possibility; the solar god is concerned with travel even though his clergy are not itinerant. The local temple to Oceus has a reasonably good collection of maps, geography texts, and similar material, offering a +4 bonus after 1d6-2 hours of work.

The Church of Herenus also keeps a collection of maps and travelogues. It's poorly organized because it's maintained by whatever Herenar clergy are passing through the area, many of whom are not scholars, and it would be more appropriate for geography pertaining to nautical concerns and the weather, but it would still confer a +2 bonus. Finding what you want would be a real chore, taking 1d2 hours.

  1. What kind of terrain is around the fortress and exactly how far is it and what kind of ground would be covered?
  2. What supplies to take with them?

These checks have not yet been attempted.

Knowledge (religion)
The churches of Derena, Agon, Oceus, and Merthia all maintain libraries on religious and theological topics. The contents of the libraries are all roughly of equal quality, providing a +4 bonus to Knowledge (religion) checks. Checks conducted at any of these institutions require 1d6-2 hours of study.

The local shrine to Herenus includes a mishmash of ill-assorted texts on religious matters. For general Knowledge (religion) checks it affords a +2 bonus. This bonus rises to +4 for topics pertaining specifically to incorporeal undead, due to the Church of Herenus's involvement in the interment of the deceased. Consulting this library requires 1d2 hours.

  1. Any records of rifts opening and big bad dragons coming out?
  2. All about bone carving magic items.

Answers at https://www.dndarchive.com/comment/26986#comment-26986.

Knowledge (local)
The Ducal Archive is the preeminent repository for lore having to do with lore having to do with local legends, laws, criminals and so forth. Consulting the Archive for Knowledge (local) checks confers a +6 bonus to the result, albeit at the cost of investing 1d4+4 hours of research into the task of sifting through its contents.

The Temple of Agon is a lesser but still useful source of commentary on topics of local interest, granting a +4 bonus to such checks at the cost of 1d6-2 hours of research.

The eccentric baronet and local historian, Sir Sirvian, maintains some texts on legal and criminal trials, mostly collections of old proclamations, personal journals, and court transcripta having to do with lurid crimes, scandals, and public upheavals over taxation and the like. It grants a +2 bonus to checks, requiring 6d20 minutes of research.

  1. Anyone done studies about the local mob/wererats?

This check has not yet been attempted. The Temple of Agon probably is not going to open its doors to you anytime very soon.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Alannah is going to roll a local knowledge for that mob question. Then if it seems worth it, she'll check records at a library -- likely the ducal archive, which makes sense to be the first place to attempt to repeat any of the big questions.

She knows nothing of geography and right now thinks those questions are somewhat iffy, depending on their next steps. Now she's thinking of an alternative route, so we'll see what happens IC.

Knowledge (local) about local mob/wererats
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 13, 3 = 16.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Alannah is as lost as a fart in a windstorm. She doubts that a library will meaningfully assist her.

Unless someone with ranks in Knowledge (geography) wants to take point on those, we're done with the research phase.

Board Rider, do you want to handle Avar's discussion with Markham in character, or out?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

OOC is fine.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Talanall wrote:

Unless someone with ranks in Knowledge (geography) wants to take point on those, we're done with the research phase.

If Alannah asks him to assist, Chuul will do so, gladly. If not, I guess we can ignore the results of this roll.

Knowledge (geography)
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 1, 1 = 2.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

*snerk*

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Hahahaha! Stupid orc.

Board Rider, exactly what does Avar want to have Markan look into for him?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Talanall wrote:

Board Rider, exactly what does Avar want to have Markan look into for him?


His pants.

Also, Alannah will ask for everyone's help, including Chuuls.

Board Rider
Board Rider's picture

Avar cannot help with Geography. But he'll help with whatever else he can.

If he catches up with her Avar wants to see if Markham knows whats going on with the firebombing of his church. If possible, anything regarding Qistis or any rumors or threats coming his way. Basically, any info/rumors regarding his church or the Bastards.

Essentially, a sort of situation report based on the actions of the group while in Port Hope.

Pages