[WotD] Chapter One OOC

835 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cronono
Cronono's picture

I mean, it wasn't a purple worm, but I can adjust the fight a bit if that would be convenient. Everybody loves sneaky ninja purple worms in forests, right? You can't spell TPK without Total PurpleWorm Kill!

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Init, please.

Initative
I rolled 1d20-2, the result is 3, -2 = 1.
I rolled 1d20-2, the result is 10, -2 = 8.
I rolled 1d20-2, the result is 15, -2 = 13.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Init

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 15, 3 = 18.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

This is probably where Caleb's winning streak dries up.

Initiative
I rolled 1d20, the result is 1 = 1.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Init!

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 14, 1 = 15.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'm going to do better than Caleb.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 5, 1 = 6.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

You did 500% better than Caleb.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Three zombies clamber out of the brush, moving toward the center of the clearing. They do not appear to notice Eryndir.

One of the zombies, denoted in green, appears to be missing significant portions of its anatomy. It drags itself along the ground with its hands.

One of the zombies, denoted in blue, is wearing a familiar motley of colors and fabric.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir will delay his action.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

RIP Eryndir. I don't even think my turn will come up before they kill and eat you, so I may be absolved of responsibility for fulfilling my vow.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

I was counting on the "they do not appear to notice" part, and hoping if he stays quiet, they'll all move towards you guys, and I can backstab appropriately...

Cronono
Cronono's picture

It is now Charn's turn.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

"Let them get a little closer, rather than run into their arms," says Charn. He delays, too.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I shouldn't have any trouble complying with that idea.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The green zombie catches sight of Caleb. Its spine extends along the ground and pushes its chest off the forest floor. Its arms flail wildly, a mocking parody of living locomotion. The green zombie moves to square J4 and attacks Caleb by attempting to thrust the exposed spine through Caleb's leg in a pinning strike.

Slam Attack
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 6, 3 = 9.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

After the green zombie misses, the orange zombie follows its lead. Its gait shifting from a shuffle to a sprint, the orange zombie simply attempts to barrel into Caleb at full speed, moving to square J5.

Slam
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 16, 3 = 19.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

The orange zombie's bull rush leaves Caleb rattled.

Damage to Caleb
I rolled 1d6+1, the result is 5, 1 = 6.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

It is now Able's turn.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

I also made a rules mistake. Orange zombie provokes from Eryndir. If Eryndir wants to take an attack of opportunity, he may do so before orange zombie body slams Caleb with sufficient force to cause Caleb to question his faith in roads, taxes, and universal healthcare.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir won't react yet, because I believe I will also get an attack of opportunity on the Blue Zombie (if he moves), can then take my held action, and then attack again at the top of the second round. That would give me three attacks in a row.

Is that correct?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Almost. Eryndir could take his reaction against the blue zombie if the blue zombie provokes, the blue zombie would then get to go, Eryndir could then take his delay, and then Eryndir could go at the top of the second round. So, Eryndir, Blue Zombie, Eryndir, Eryndir.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Okay, I'm going to stick with that. Eryndir just feels too exposed off by himself. I'm going to wait until they've all moved into the clearing and hope that some rapid fire actions can ruin their day.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'm going to allow Caleb to go first. Maybe being a cleric of civilization and roads will let him turn them into roadkill with minimal fuss. I'm also hoping that I can roll something to know more about them, like are they resistant to weapons or anything like that?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

You can spend an action to roll Knowledge Religion. Generally, you know animated corpses with flesh attached are zombies, but that doesnt tell you much about what type of zombies you are dealing with. It does take your action in combat though.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

IF I remember correctly from the fight with the Communists, moving within someone's threatened space doesn't provoke opportunity attacks. So that's what Caleb will do on his turn - move one square south to give Able and Charn room to maneuver against the zombies.

I am going to take a big gamble here and instead of healing myself this round I will try to make a Religion check to convey some useful information to the rest of the party.

Religion
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 17, 2 = 19.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Big gamble indeed! That said, Caleb realizes a couple of things. First, he knows that zombies are very, very hard to kill.

Undead Fortitude: If damage reduces the zombie to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5+the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, the zombie drops to 1 hit point instead.

He also knows that these zombies are immune to poison damage and cannot suffer from the poisoned condition. Finally, he knows that the green zombie has only 1 hp - but it still has its Undead Fortitude.

I imagine a number of delayed actions are going off now.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir is still waiting on Blue Zombie to see if I can get an attack of opportunity (with advantage for being unseen?). If he moves, that is...

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Are Charn and Able going? Flanking opportunities abound.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn will move to K6, drawing sword and shield along the way, and attack the zombie at J6.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 16, 5 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 2, 5 = 7.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Assuming a 21 hits.

I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Just to clarify, I think Green (1HP) is at J4 and Orange is at J5.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Orange zombie, in J5, is hit for 8 damage.

For reference, Caleb is in I4, Orange Zombie is in J5, and Charn is in K6. That's the line to the NE.

I suspect Able does not want to get into melee. That means that Eryndir would be able to flank on his turn in K4.

Depending, of course, on what blue zombie does.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I'm blasting the Orange Zombie. I'm also backing away from the melee.

Correct me if my numbers are wrong
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 18, 3 = 21.
I rolled 1d10, the result is 8 = 8.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

In addition to your +3 CHA, you also get to add your proficiency bonus - so attacking with eldritch blast is at +5 instead of a +3! Needless to say, you hit, and hard.

Where do you want to go?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

While DDMW picks a square, blue will move to K5. I assume Eryndir takes the AoO?

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Yes, please. Attacking from an unseen position with my rapier.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 14, 5 = 19.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 14, 5 = 19.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Damage.

I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Hit. Only once, but damned if you weren't trying to murder the hell out of 'em.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Forgot sneak attack.

I rolled 1d6, the result is 1 = 1.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

As you have advantage, also roll sneak attack.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

You tried very hard to hit, and your damage is really bad. Blue Zombie ignores you, continues its move to K5, and attempts to slam Charn.

C'mon and jam
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 1, 3 = 4.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Blue zombie fails to hit Charn even with its aroma.

I assume Eryndir is taking his delayed action?

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Yes, please. Eryndir will move to K4, so as to provide the most flanking opportunities for the party.

While I normally prefer to focus fire, I think I'm going to try and hit the green zombie. Caleb determined that he has 1HP. I'd like to try and take him out.

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 16, 5 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 19, 5 = 24.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Damage.

I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 5 = 5.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

That's more than 1. Here is his undead fortitude roll.

UNDEAD FORTITUDE!!!!
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Green zombie's fortitude has run out. He is now dead. Once we know where Able is standing, I will update the round.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

c6

I like 'b4' because it sounds like 'before', but c6 sounds like 'seasick' so it's okay.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir will glance sideways at orange, frustrated that he can't get a flanking attack off on him. He'll stab at blue.

Attack with advantage.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 5, 5 = 10.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 9, 5 = 14.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Hit.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Damage

I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 7, 3 = 10.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 2 = 2.

Pages

Topic locked