[WotD] Chapter One OOC

712 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cronono
Cronono's picture
[WotD] Chapter One OOC

OOC Discussion about Chapter One goes here.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Are elves tall in this edition?

Cronono
Cronono's picture

From 5 feet to over 6 feet tall. Similar language for humans.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Once folks step onto the road to civilization described in the IC post, we will consider sheets locked.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

What spells did you recommend? I'm taking those.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Did you want combatty spells or utility spells? Eldrich blast alone is top tier combat, but you may want other stuff to support it.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Cantrips - Eldritch Blast, Prestidigitation; 1st level Charm Person, Comprehend Languages.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Sounds good. Have you guys figured out if you're going to speak with Dyrakus or if you're going to set out?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Caleb wouldn't be opposed to hearing the tiefling's side of the story before we leave town.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Let's do it. I gotta know why he paid for sonething he didn't receive.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn attempts a History check to get a better sense about what the drow is going on about the history of the place.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

From his knowledge of history, Charn knows that the Outpost is built on the ruin of Castle Vuzuvaan. Most other people know that because when they walk around, they see just under half of a castle. Charn also knows that Castle Vuzuvaan is on the very outskirts of the Empire. Most other people know that because they came from the Empire and it took a really long time to get out to the frontier.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Alrighty. If anyone wants to talk to anyone or do anything else at the Outpost, let me know. If we're not doing anything else by tomorrow morning I'll advance us to the road.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Rolls

Rolls
I rolled 1d20, the result is 12 = 12.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 19 = 19.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 6 = 6.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 9 = 9.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 20 = 20.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 15 = 15.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 13 = 13.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 13 = 13.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

More rolls.

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 9, 2 = 11.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 8, 4 = 12.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 13, 1 = 14.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 6, 2 = 8.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 15, 2 = 17.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 12, 4 = 16.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 12, 4 = 16.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 18, 3 = 21.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

The safest option for the living would be to cut the rope from the ground. Cutting a rope with an arrow or an axe would be extremely difficult, though possible. A better option would be a magical strike, such as an eldritch blast or an enchanted blade. A magic stone spell probably wouldn't work due to the blunt nature of the stone. A magic stone spell could work if you struck the actual tree branch, but that could bring down much more than you bargained for.

The safest option for the deceased would be to climb the tree, then gently lower the body to the ground.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

The tree itself is quite leafy, but the branches look strong and sturdy. An adequate Nature(Intelligence) check or a great Perception(Wisdom) check would be helpful in assessing whether or not there is a vantage point in the tree that would give a view of the surrounding environs.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I'll check it out.

Perception (untrained)
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Caleb is quite confident the tree has branches.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Intelligence, Wisdom (no bonus added)

I rolled 1d20, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 9 = 9.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Athletics check.

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 4, 6 = 10.
Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

And another for the trip down.

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 16, 6 = 22.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

The trip down is trivially easy. Charm succeeds.

History and Religion checks are appropriate upon hearing about the murderers.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Rolling

Knowledge (history), Knowledge (religion)
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 1, 2 = 3.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 15, 2 = 17.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Continuing his long history of terrible rolls, Caleb knows absolutely nothing about the history of the group.

However, he does know a thing or two about the religious implications inherent to the iconography contained within the embellishments of the "C" used by the Thousandfold Men of Industry. The group uses the same serifs as several metropolitan monastic orders. It also lacks many of the swash indicators that are standard for the accepted metropolitan monastic orders. Either the Thousandfold Men of Industry are purposefully indicating that they exist outside the bounds of decent society or they are woefully uneducated in the proper forms of religious calligraphy. Caleb does note, however, that the "C" is marvelously symmetrical for a free-hand embellishment. Consequently, he can assume that the inscriptionist is extremely skilled. Caleb knows that there are martial orders which use calligraphy to hone their own martial skills - if the inscriptionist of this "C" was so trained he or she would be quite lethal with a thin blade.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Caleb wants to stop about twenty yards from the entrance to the barn and declare the party's presence and intentions to treat peacefully with the merchants. I'll roll a Persuasion check and, if I still have that Inspiration saved up from the prologue, I think I would like to use it now. If not, the first roll will have to suffice.

Persuasion (inspiration?)
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 17, 4 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 2, 4 = 6.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

He does very well with his persuasion. Go ahead and update the IC thread with a convincing oratory.

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Nothing to see here.

I rolled 16d20, the result is 17, 7, 5, 16, 4, 4, 3, 2, 9, 11, 5, 1, 11, 18, 16, 16 = 145.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

The PCs are in a barn with four non-combatants and many, many sheep. They could attempt to leave with the wagon. They could attempt to improve the fortifications in the barn. They could attempt something else. Please decide what the PCs intend to do prior to the arrival of the marching drums.

It would not be unreasonable to assume the marching drums presage a retinue of murderous communists coming to kill you all.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

It would appear our situation is purty nigh hopeless!

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Caleb thinks the first order of business is obviously to get everyone, even the noncombatants, up to 100% fighting strength; if only because fighting strength is directly proportional to "fit enough to run away strength."

He will climb the ladder and cast cure wounds on the idiot Hollinger.

Cure wounds vs Hollinger (Wis bonus)
I rolled 1d8+3, the result is 7, 3 = 10.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

There are two scenarios that are more likely than not. The first is that there is a fight outside the barn. The area has been described as "barren" and with clear visibility. Anyone engaged in ranged combat is going to love that scenario. The second is that the drum-toting commies come into the barn. The barn is jam-packed with sheep, a wagon, and has rightly been called flammable. Effectively, every square with sheep will be considered difficult terrain, which is hilarious. If you disagree, you are wrong.

If combat breaks out, you'll have to decide where. If you want to forestall combat, you'll need to figure out a plan. Either way, let me know so I can draw up a battlemap.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

I intend to forestall combat. Able doesn't know enough to choose sides between the established political system and insurgent communists. While the orphaning of her children seems bad, just having children isn't proof that you are a good person - lots of tax collectors probably abuse their position to line their own pockets.

Plan 1 - We claim we have captured the son/daughter/merchant now lets use hostages to negotiate with the powers that be. Once we understand their objectives we can decide which side we should be on.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Caleb literally worships the government so he isn't interested in why they killed the tax collector. It is enough for him to insist the children are under his protection and let the Communists decide if they're willing to attack him over it.

He will go outside and wait but leave the door open behind him.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Charn is disinclined to consider the family hostages. He'll say, "It was communists that murdered their kinswoman and hanged her from a tree. They don't seem like the negotiating type to me. Nobody marches around banging their drums to talk about the weather or bargain." And then he waits outside with Caleb.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Not an awesome roll but maybe it didn't make it worse. If they don't attack us outright, we still have a chance to secure the hostages before the fighting starts.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Lo siento.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

That's all right. I was going to attack them as they were leaving even if they did everything I asked anyway.

Initiative
I rolled 1d20, the result is 15 = 15.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

It's like you worship the government or something. Could I get init from everyone, please?

Narad, skinny one, fat one, fat two, big hat, driver, Hollinger, kids
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 12, 1 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 5, 1 = 6.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 8, -1 = 7.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 14, -1 = 13.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 14, 3 = 17.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 14, 1 = 15.
I rolled 1d20-1, the result is 13, -1 = 12.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Eryndir's initiative.

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 19, 3 = 22.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

That's just Dex, right.

Initiative, I think
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 6, 1 = 7.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

That's right, unless you have something that changes it. There isn't much that changes it.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Init.

I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 19, 1 = 20.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Making an init check for FoxWyrd

Init
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 19, 1 = 20.
Trigger
Trigger's picture

Having unlocked his gibbet, Eryndir is going to try and sneak up behind Narad (5ft of movement), draw the dagger from the High Elf's neck as a free action, and stab Narad in the motherfucking throat, then use his remaining movement to hop into the wagon.

Stealth to surprise Narad.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 13, 7 = 20.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

That works. Give me an attack roll, with advantage please.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Third time's the charm for getting the roll mechanic correct.

Attack roll.

Attacking with a dagger (finesse).
I rolled 2d20.takeHighest(1)+5, the result is 8, 3 = 8.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

It looks like the takeHighest function doesn't work well with a modifier. You rolled an 8, to which we add 5 to get a 13. His AC is a 12, so you succeed. Please roll damage with your sneak attack.

Trigger
Trigger's picture

Damage

Dagger is 1d4+3, sneak attack is 1d6
I rolled 1d4+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 3 = 3.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Top marks for enthusiasm, though. You really wanted to roll those dice.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

On his turn, Charn will move to the square due west of Raven and fire his crossbow at Fat Two. As he fires, he bellows his best draconic roar.

(Hrm. Evidently light crossbows are not a thing. Just heavy and hand crossbows. Ah, well.)

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 5, 3 = 8.
I rolled 1d6, the result is 6 = 6.

Pages