From Beyond The Stars (OOC)

661 posts / 0 new
Last post
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

The scenario in the servants' quarters and the one upstairs in the Count's bedroom are happening at the same time.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Is Thunk in the servants quarters? I wasn't aware there was an encounter going on there.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yes.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Nothing in the description of the servant's quarters indicated a problem. But you'll hear about it in a minute.

Initiative...

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Init

Initiative
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 18, 2 = 20.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I'm going to be heading out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday night. I don't anticipate I will be able to update the game while I'm gone. So rather than launch into new encounters then stall out until Monday, I think we should just wait until next week.

But before that happens - Feruq is pretty sure the pitcher is about to disgorge a deluge of water into the room. He has a single standard or move action to do something about it. Among other options, note that Argus is closer to it by far - it would be a simple thing to backpedal into the hallway. If he succeeds on an Acrobatics check, I would even be willing to allow him to close the door behind him as he goes. It might also be possible to dive behind some furniture and let something other than his own body bear the force of the blast of water.

There is also one other feature in the room I didn't mention before - a pair of floor-to-ceiling tapestries flanks the bed along the far wall but in the split second Feruq has to scan the chamber for threats and opportunities, he thinks they may actually be curtains. I would allow him to attempt to charge the window behind one of the curtains, assuming there is a window there, and make an Athletics check to try and snag a grip on the curtain and haul it through with him so he doesn't plummet to his death.

Finally, he could do just about anything else that requires a move or standard action I have yet to mention. Or nothing. What he believes is going to happen is obviously physically impossible and if the place is haunted, it isn't even real. Right?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

How big is the room, and how far from the pitcher is Feruq? I can envision all sorts of nastiness, but I'm having trouble picturing why Feruq would be so immediately afraid of water as to warrant back flipping toward the door. Is the room so small that drowning might be a concern? Or does he get an impression that a targeted jet of water is coming his way, ala firehose riot control?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Feruq only intuits that an impossible volume of water is contained within the pitcher, but in a few more moments that will no longer be the case. He doesn't know if it is enough to flood the room, or if it will shoot out in a specific direction in a controlled stream, or anything of the sort. He is free to do any of the things I offered as possible less-than-obvious responses, or a regular move or standard action, or just wait. It is also technically possible to ready an action during a surprise round.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Thunk would try to drink all the water so no one drowns. But he's not there. Oh well.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

If possible, Feruq would like to take the imitative and charge forward to... not so much kick the pitcher as use his foot to upend it in such a way that if a geyser erupts from it, it will be pointing roughly in a direction that the eruption might launch the pitcher out the window instead of filling the room.

I'm a little drunk and don't know if that's possible, so I'm gonna roll an attack (sans any potential bonus from a partial charge). If it's not possible, or if some other roll is more appropriate, I'll handle it in the morning.

Not-really-an-attack
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 2, 4 = 6.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Fuck you, die roller. Feruq can't only be awesome when nobody's looking. Hero point to reroll (with my luck, this won't even be the appropriate roll needed).

Reroll
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 13, 4 = 17.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Haha, ok. Good call on the reroll. Is it fucked up that none of the special action opportunities I mentioned previously had anything to do with Feruq attempting to save Argus?

Anyway, I need a Reflex save from both Argus and Feruq, but at a +4 circumstance bonus thanks to that heroic effort. Next, I need one more Reflex save from each of you, albeit without the special bonus.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

That's the power of drunk thought. Gotta save your bro.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Reflex

With bonus, without
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 11, 10 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 15, 6 = 21.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Let's see how this plays out. :D

Ref x2
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 16, 9 = 25.
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 14, 5 = 19.
Darker

Those are some damn fine rolls.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Those were awesome rolls. Originally I had envisioned that encounter being way more difficult than the the one in the servants' quarters but it looks like I was wrong. I will be updating the IC thread tomorrow - I got back into town and unloaded a UHaul truck today but I did something to my back (plus a box full of old D&D books, including the Draconomicon Fixxxer got me for Christmas in 2003 or something, broke through the cardboard and fell on my foot). So right now I'm just trying to drink this booze and lay still.

I will take initiative checks from Dalvar and Thunk, however.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Almost forgot

Surprise round
I rolled 2d10+10, the result is 4, 10, 10 = 24.
I rolled 4d10+30, the result is 5, 5, 3, 3, 30 = 46.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 2, 7 = 9.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 3, 2 = 5.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 17, 6 = 23.
I rolled 2d6+6, the result is 3, 2, 6 = 11.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Init

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 11, 5 = 16.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

K

Roll
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 18, 3 = 21.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Congratulations to Argus and Feruq for escaping their haunt intact. It was definitely the most dangerous one so far, excepting perhaps the one in the infirmary. Also, it looks like Argus just bumped up over 10,000XP, so he levels up! When he wakes up tomorrow, he will be 5th level.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oh, also - Dalvar and Thunk are now at the top of Round One in a new combat. Thunk is up.

I didn't include a map because I haven't drawn one yet but we may not need one. Dalvar is perhaps 20' away from Thunk and the sheet is flying in a square adjacent to him at ground-level. It was obscuring his view of Thunk on its approach but is not currently occupying the space between the two PCs. The bedsheet counts as a Small creature. Thunk is adjacent to the animated bed and it counts as a Large creature.

I can include a map later if you guys would prefer. The room basically consists of rows of beds on the floor and the occasional bedside table or chamberpot in plain view. Some of the beds have footlockers and some do not.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Thunk wants to be level 5!

Thunk also loves smashing furniture and bad guys. This combines his two great loves.

+11 melee (2d6+16/19-20/x2, greatsword +1, Power Attack) and +3 melee (1d4+5, bite, Power Attack)
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 14, 11 = 25.
I rolled 2d6+16, the result is 4, 3, 16 = 23.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 4, 3 = 7.
I rolled 1d4+5, the result is 2, 5 = 7.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yeah I thought he would dig this. Obviously there is a momentary bit of shock when an inanimate object comes to life, whether it attacks you or not. But after that, the idea that he gets to smash the shit out of the stuff in this room and no one can REALLY fault him for it must be a real treat.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Raphael sips his coffee gingerly. He then remembers how to count and shakes his head, disturbing his throat slighly. The Nose calls his player a moron and casts CMW on himself.

Dummy
I rolled 2d8+4, the result is 3, 8, 4 = 15.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Is there a pathway for Dalvar to leave the room without suffering AoO? And if not, is there one that would allow him to leave WITH AoO?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

If he successfully smashes all the animate objects in the room, he'll start on the inanimate objects. It'll be a good day.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

If Dalvar wants to withdraw, he can make it out of the room as a full round action, even considering the intervening obstacles and the other combat in his path. He will successfully escape the area without provoking any attacks of opportunity. What's more, if the bedsheet wants to follow him, it would need to pass right by Thunk and the bed, which seems unlikely to him unless they were being directed by an intelligent entity.

It occurs to me now that maybe Dalvar knows something about magical constructs. He should probably roll Knowledge (arcana).

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

drumandfight
drumandfight's picture

Shit balls, is the IC locked right now?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Not that I'm aware of. The XP & GP sticky should be, though.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

IC isn't locked for this chapter, but it is for Gideon's Justice.

Knowledge (arcana)

I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 18, 12 = 30.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Well, that's pretty fantastic. Dalvar knows everything there is to know about creatures with the Construct type, attacking inanimate objects, and the information present in the following entry from the Bestiary: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary/animatedObject.html#animated-object

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Okay, let's say Dalvar will just withdraw this round. If the thing tries to follow him, great; Thunk gets a cheap shot that might end its participation in the fight before it even really begins. If not, great; he's got breathing space to summon something to do battle on his behalf. Am I correct in recalling that Dalvar is still working from his stats from before the level-up, including his spells prepared list?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

That's correct.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Does Dalvar know at a glance that the sheet bears the cloth and/or flammable qualities, or what special attacks it's capable of? I guess grab and constrict would be the most likely.

It's not so obvious to me what, if any special qualities the bed might have.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

It's definitely flammable, and that would be a safe bet based on how it tried to attack you during the surprise round. But, being Small, it's not actually very good at that.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

OK so I'll update the IC thread momentarily but before I do that, I'll go ahead and declare the bed's action. It wants to trample Thunk, which gives him two options of how to respond: unlike a regular overrun attempt, the bed doesn't need to make a CMB roll. It's just moving into your space. On your end, you can either try to make an attack of opportunity for doing so, albeit at a -4 penalty; OR you can attempt to mitigate some of the damage from the attack with a Reflex save. If you succeed, you'll take half damage.

Blanket vs Thunk (slam plus free grab attempt)
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 6, 7 = 13.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 4 = 4.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 19, 2 = 21.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Thunk chooses the route of pain and possible regret. He's going to take the AoO.

-4 attack
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 2, 7 = 9.
I rolled 2d6+16, the result is 1, 5, 16 = 22.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Not a great time to start missing. That's ok, there's always next round. I'll go ahead and roll damage here and because it isn't even rolling an attack, there's no chance it can crit or anything. Also, if you were interested in using the Cleave feat again anytime soon, you're in luck - the bed and blanket are now adjacent to each other, because the bed didn't actually want to move anywhere. It enters your square to trample you then gets shunted back into its space at the end of its turn.

Bed vs Thunk (trample)
I rolled 2d6+6, the result is 6, 1, 6 = 13.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

WOO!

CLEAVE!
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 8, 11 = 19.
I rolled 2d6+16, the result is 5, 5, 16 = 26.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 16, 11 = 27.
I rolled 2d6+16, the result is 1, 6, 16 = 23.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Awesome. That's... curtains... for the blanket.

Dalvar is up.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It looks like Thunk has this. Dalvar will ready an action to toss an energy ray at the bed if it starts looking like he's wrong. But otherwise, this is an instance in which I think the wizard's going to be content to let Thunk be unrestrainedly himself.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Right on.

Bed vs Thunk (slam)
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 20, 6 = 26.
I rolled 2d6+6, the result is 4, 2, 6 = 12.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Does a confirmed crit count as an indication you were wrong?

Critical confirmation, critical damage
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 1, 6 = 7.
I rolled 2d6+6, the result is 1, 5, 6 = 12.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Here's another AoO if that's a thing that's going to happen. And a regular A if not.

-4 AoO, Regular Full
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 15, 7 = 22.
I rolled 2d6+16, the result is 6, 2, 16 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 20, 11 = 31.
I rolled 2d6+16, the result is 2, 6, 16 = 24.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 12, 3 = 15.
I rolled 1d4+5, the result is 1, 5 = 6.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Nope, this time the bed just tried to hit you and hope it critted (it did not). I'll go ahead and use the AoO attack roll as critical confirmation for the critical threat there. Updating the IC post now.

VICTORY IS YOURS! Here's an updated tally on hit points, XP and all that jazz.

CURRENT STATUS

Argus - 2 Strength damage.
Dalvar - 100%
Feruq - 100%
Jugg - 17 Strength damage, 1 Dexterity damage. Unconscious but stable.
Raphael - 7 damage.
Thunk - 36 damage. 7 rounds of rage remaining.
Puck - 100%

EXPERIENCE TOTALS

Argus - 10,085
Dalvar - 11,085
Feruq - 9,685
Jugg - 8,185
Raphael - 5,770
Thunk - 10,385

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Does Thunk hit that glorious, glorious level 5?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

He does. I wasn't 100% sure how I should award XP for this encounter because in every other room it was a pretty straightforward formula about how to adjudicate CR for a haunt based on the level of spell the haunt was replicating. And normally I would just say, "Well even if it is replicating animate object, you still award XP the same way," just like I would if it were replicating something iike summon monster. But then the blanket turned out to be super complicated and I found I wasn't able to make a blanket that flies through the air and primarily attacks by attempting to grapple and constrict you without raising its CR. So I figured it was just a better solution to try to go the other way and award XP as if they were regular monsters.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Darker

Well, here goes nothing.

I rolled 1d10+3, the result is 2, 3 = 5.
Darker

Q)(&*#$)&*(Q#$

Pages

Topic locked