From Beyond The Stars (OOC)

197 posts / 0 new
Last post
Darker

At this point, the trail has gone coldish...

We know this path exists, we know that Gideon went this way, but we don't know how far or how long it'll take to travel and even Thunk can figure out at this point we will be exploring down here, not tracking. Too much bad stuffs to move fast enough to catch Gideon, Thunk thinks.

Reverse course, go talk to the Count about restorative magic, maybe make a deal with him, and check out the keep itself while Jugg can rest in an actual bed in one of the rooms up top. After all, people may want answers about what happened and this shit show upstairs needs to be figured out. We can always go tropping into the Underdark with supplies once we wrap up some more stuff now that we knows the passage is here.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Argus will not allow Jugg to be left in last night's camp. He will guard Jugg while thr rest of the party explores, following just behind. If the party finds trouble, he'll step away from Jugg long enough to lend a hand. Fuck the count - the price of his help is too high. Let's explore the keep and find some good stuff.

Darker

Thunk is not going to leave Jugg -- to explore ahead or otherwise. Thunk isn't driven by some ideology of vengeance and sees no urgency to move forward. He just wants his friend to be better.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

MinusInnocence wrote:

Under no circumstances will he consent to his armor being removed, which basically means he can carry his breastplate and armored kilt, as well as either his shortsword and falchion or shortsword and crossbow with ammunition.

Damn shame for him that he's in no position to stop us at the moment, isn't it? I mean, I see no reason for us to strip him (except for the lolz). I'm just saying.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Then Thunk can guard him. Argus can help find curative magic.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Thunk makes a pretty decent guard. They can hunker down somewhere in the dark without arousing too much suspicion. Thunk's predatory instincts would probably help him remain quiet while in enemy territory and trying to avoid detection, and Jugg is also trying his best not to make a sound right now.

His assessment of the situation is well-put. If you're being extremely conservative, Gideon still had one or two days on you before you arrived here. That looks like plenty of time to do whatever it is he wanted to do and get out of Dodge. But it's probably closer to three or four days. Further, a combination of testimony from Lyntern and his now-Undead father as well as Jugg and Feruq's analysis of Gorman's murder outside the jail cells paints a picture that suggests Gideon probably went downstairs, not up here. But as DDMW observes, more detailed information about what's down there and why he might have gone there had a pretty serious price tag attached to it.

Up here, there's a chance you can find potions or scrolls that might get Jugg back on his feet in a hurry. You might also find a book or two in the Parlfray library about the secrets concealed beneath the keep. Speaking of potions, before we proceed there is the matter of the four potions of cure moderate wounds the party purchased from Tauster in Thurmaster. Who's carrying them?

Aside from that, is anyone else taking anything from Jugg's gear before you set out again, either with the intention of using it or because you want to help lighten the load for him? I will post what he's carrying here for your convenience.

Acid (x2), adventurer’s sash (x2), armored kilt, alchemist’s fire (x1), backpack (MW), bedroll, blanket (winter), bolts (x9 reg, x10 silver), breastplate (MW), chalk (x3), crossbow (heavy), crowbar, dwarven Dorn Dergar +1, dwarven waraxe (MW), falchion +1, flint & steel, hammer, lantern (hooded), pitons (x10), pouch (belt x2), rations (trail x6), rope (silk, 100’), sack (empty x2), sledge, shortsword (MW), shovel, waterskin, whetstone.

Finally, is there anything else you guys want to do in this room before you proceed into the kitchen?

Random
I rolled 1d20, the result is 20 = 20.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 3 = 3.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 20 = 20.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20, the result is 4 = 4.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I figure Argus was going to take that falchion.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Is there any indication what bound these shadows to a wine cellar? It isn't like:

http://www.casillerodeldiablo.com/becoming-a-legend/?lang=en

Is it?

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Maybe the original family name was Montresor, rather than Parlfray?

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Casillero del Illithids? Casillero del Cthulu?

Doesn't have the same ring to it. How do you say basement in Infernal?

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

If you'd like to take a look around you're free to make Perception checks or use whatever other tricks you have to dig up some clues. It seems likely their haunting of the place was a recent development.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

A look around

Not a thorough one
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 11, 1 = 12.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Nothing really jumps out at Raph as being out of place. But it's kind of a big space, and there are lots of nooks and crannies behind stacked sacks/barrels/crates/whatever. It isn't inconceivable he could find a dead body or two stashed in here, or some other signs of where these shadows came from. It is technically true that sometimes shadows are created not from someone's death but a cleric's spell. A tremendous infusion of negative energy from the plane of the same name might also do the trick, but perhaps something more innocuous is to blame here. By all accounts, the Keep and its residents suffered a tremendous violation by villains dedicated to some kind of evil cult. Spontaneous genesis of new Undead creatures is not unheard of as the result of acts of profound violence or savagery.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Argus is going to hold on to the magic falchion for the time being. If Jugg wants my weapon, we can trade, but I think the possibility of running into more shadows makes a pretty convincing argument for the ambulatory party member to use it.

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Cronono wrote:

Casillero del Illithids? Casillero del Cthulu?

Doesn't have the same ring to it. How do you say basement in Infernal?

b̉͐̍ͪ̇̽͏̟̘͞ã̢̧ͭͮ͐҉̩̭̘͚̗sͥ̇̀͌҉͈ȅ̘̓ͥ̒̎͒̀͘m̳̙͍̹̮͔͚ͣͫ̌͟͞è̤̀n̡̰̞̝̦̜̙͇ͧ͊ͭ̍̽̋͊t͙̲͈ͧͨ̈͋̾ͨ͋̚̕͠

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Fixxxer wrote:

b̉͐̍ͪ̇̽͏̟̘͞ã̢̧ͭͮ͐҉̩̭̘͚̗sͥ̇̀͌҉͈ȅ̘̓ͥ̒̎͒̀͘m̳̙͍̹̮͔͚ͣͫ̌͟͞è̤̀n̡̰̞̝̦̜̙͇ͧ͊ͭ̍̽̋͊t͙̲͈ͧͨ̈͋̾ͨ͋̚̕͠

Now that's good marketing.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

OK. So who's carrying the healing potions? There are four of them. Maybe just Argus, Dalvar, Feruq and Thunk for now? Raph wasn't in the party yet when they were purchased but if you would rather he have one of them now that he is on the team that's fine, too.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

That sounds good. Dalvar, Argus, Thunk and Feruq for now.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I need a Perception check from Thunk.

For Argus, Dalvar, Feruq and Raphael: the appropriate skills here are Heal, Knowledge (dungeoneering, nature, religion), Perception and Survival.

Anyone can also make any other kind of check they would like with sufficient reasoning.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Nose knows.

Nature, Religion
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 9, 12 = 21.
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 11, 13 = 24.
Darker

Sometimes Thunk sees stuff

I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 1, 6 = 7.
Talanall
Talanall's picture

Checks.

K:dungeoneering, Perception, Survival
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 10, 9 = 19.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 15, 3 = 18.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 4, 1 = 5.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Rolls

Heal; Perception; Survival
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 18, 9 = 27.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 3, 9 = 12.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 10, 6 = 16.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

For Argus, Dalvar, Feruq and Raphael: the appropriate skills here are Heal, Knowledge (dungeoneering, nature, religion), Perception and Survival.

5 out of 6 isn't bad.

Heal; Knowledge Dungeoneering; Knowledge Nature; Perception; Survival
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 20, 7 = 27.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 12, 6 = 18.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 14, 9 = 23.
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 18, 8 = 26.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 2, 7 = 9.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Argus and Feruq both know the body has been here for two or three days. The victim doesn't appear to have any defensive wounds or to have been restrained in any way - perhaps he was still mostly incoherent from his ordeal at the tavern.

What is remarkable about that, however, is that aside from the obviously horrific nature of the wound on his abdomen, the body is mostly intact. No vermin or pests have gotten to Barranas yet. It doesn't really make any sense, unless something more sinister is afoot - maybe it's diseased in a way that is not visually apparent, or maybe there is something truly evil about what has befallen this place and it has a power over lower beasts.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rolls

I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 20, 12 = 32.
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 11, 12 = 23.
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 5, 6 = 11.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I need a second Knowledge (religion) check from Raphael, please.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Running Nose

Not yet congested
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 7, 13 = 20.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

The general state of the room and the peculiar olfactory component to the riddle do not escape the Nose's attention. It isn't just everyone's lack of ability to smell anything, though. Even under torch and lantern light, colors in this room seem muted. It could be that everyone is just trying to keep their voices down, or maybe noise is dampened as well.

Raph knows sometimes the unquiet dead can make their presence felt in less disruptive or aggressive ways than the way the shadows attacked Jugg. These strange phenomena would certainly qualify. Thus far, whatever force is behind the subdued sensory stimuli doesn't appear threatening or malicious at all, but that could easily change.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Aside from what he said, there doesn't seem to be anything amiss about Dalvar's demeanor. This is a pretty weird place, he must have just had a moment. But everyone can feel free to roll Perception or Sense Motive checks if they like.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Oh, also - random rolls.

Secrets
I rolled 1d4, the result is 2 = 2.
I rolled 1d4, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d100, the result is 76 = 76.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Argus
Perception +8
Sense Motive +1 (Untrained)

I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 5, 8 = 13.
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 7, 1 = 8.
MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

The weapon Dalvar found is a silver gladius +1. They're heavier than regular shortswords by about a pound and able to deal either slashing or piercing damage at the character's discretion. Furthermore, when using the gladius, if your attack or combat maneuver prompts a performance combat check (which is a totally new system introduced in Ultimate Combat, and which may occasionally play a role in this campaign), you gain a +2 bonus to that roll.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Raph already knows one possible explanation for the numerals etched into the pommel. To either rule this out as an artifact of the Ninth Legion or confirm its relevance to the organization, let's have Knowledge (history), (planes) and (religion) checks.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Cronono
Cronono's picture

Rollin rollin rollin

History, Planes, Religion
I rolled 1d20+12, 1d20+12, 1d20+13, the result is 15, 13 = 28.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

Whoops.

Formatting is fun.
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 19, 12 = 31.
I rolled 1d20+12, 1d20+13, the result is 17, 13 = 30.
Cronono
Cronono's picture

I can't type today. Please do not assume my incompetence is analogous to Raphael's

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Planes.

I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 11, 11 = 22.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Raphael recalls reading something about a period of civilization that spanned the continent that predates the Royal Years, though he doesn't know what that empire or whatever it was would have been called; he believes the gladius is from back then. If that's true, the Ninth Legion probably didn't exist in the form he is more familiar with in the present day, but the insignia is unmistakable. He knows that weapons similar to this are used in the arenas in Northreach today - blood sports have always been en vogue.

There are whispers of a heretical cult that predates the regime in Northreach who guard a terrible secret about the ninth layer of Hell, the realm of Asmodeus; and that the ramifications of that secret ever coming to light would create an incredible social upheaval not just in Northreach but across Damark, shedding light on half-truths and myths among all the faiths practiced in every land. What lends the conspiracy theory a small measure of credibility is that it is believed the Ninth Legion is that cult, or in league with it, and they are opposed by an ancient order originally born in the Ocean of Fire. It is believed their foes worship Sarenrae, or some aspect of her. Some even say the Brotherhood of Illumination worships the sun itself.

Whatever the truth of that matter, agents of both organizations stalk each other in every corner of every nation in the realm, civilized or otherwise. It is believed that the Brotherhood knows the Legion's secret, because it is also their secret, and both are obsessed with keeping it - but neither trusts the other to manage the task.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Dalvar had never heard of either sect before meeting Raphael a few days ago. Indeed, if he had not found the gladius that prompted this conversation, he might still be half-convinced the strange hobo was simply blowing smoke. But both men thin it's interesting that a ceremonial weapon would have been enchanted as such. And if it is not ceremonial, it is even more interesting that its blade is silver.

Nothing Raphael mentioned made it seem like the Ninth or the Pentacle have any particular beef with lycanthropes. But it makes a certain amount of sense that devil worshipers would have weapons suited to combating devils. Perhaps the story is more complicated.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Both doors leading out of the cellar - the one that takes you to the kitchen where you found the dead body as well as the one you haven't tried yet - open to reveal a short flight of steps. The best guess thus far is that the dining hall is on the other side of the left-hand wall in the kitchen, which means that other door from the cellar leads there too, eventually. But there is another option - the far door on the eastern wall in the kitchen. It's next to both the double doors which, presumably, open up to the dining hall, and flanked on the other side by the cauldron Dalvar and Raphael checked for snacks.

Which way does Argus go? North toward the dining hall or east? Anyone who goes back into the cellar or even peeks out the door finds it a difficult enough task to locate where Jugg and Thunk are hiding, so at least for now they should be fine.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

North toward the dining hall.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

I need Perception checks for Argus, Dalvar, Feruq and Raphael, please.

Random
I rolled 1d4, the result is 2 = 2.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Perception

I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 10, 3 = 13.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Cronono
Cronono's picture

You don't use your Nose to see.

Perception
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 12, 1 = 13.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Perception

Perception
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 13, 8 = 21.
Fixxxer
Fixxxer's picture

Rolling

Perception
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 20, 9 = 29.
deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

Does it appear I can open the curtains? If that is easy to do, I will do it.

MinusInnocence
MinusInnocence's picture

Yeah, drawing the curtains back should be easy enough. It will also let you take a gander outside, while you're over there. You'll have to cross the chamber to do it. This room is about 100' from north to south and 45' or 50' wide. You're standing at the southern end now.

Argus and Feruq can see even from this distance that there appear to be at least a few bodies strewn amidst the debris in the center of the chamber. It isn't clear whether all of it is from where the ceiling caved in or if something else happened here.

Does anyone else want to move up with Argus?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Talanall
Talanall's picture

I think Dalvar will probably wait to see what happens to him, first.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages