Chapter 1: Harvest (IC)

886 posts / 0 new
Last post
Talanall
Talanall's picture

The bull-headed figure moos uncertainly, and replies, "Narg find plantay. Him kill plantay with axe. Then cut off shin." Scratching at the base of one horn, it adds, sounding a bit confused at first, but gaining conviction as it goes along, "Take out wood. Then take wood, give to funny little man for bees knees orange mint. That drink. Make Narg head floaty. Yeah, bees knees orange mint."

It's evident that the minotaur is having a bit of trouble parsing Henrik's advice about plantations.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"We're going to kill the plantation, too. It's just harder than you think. Would you like to come with us and we'll show you how? The axe will help."

Darker

Rasnak speaks up, clearly agitated, "The ssspirt, one that the dwarf wassss working for... itsss trying to get the branch from Narg now! Itssss bad, bad sssspirit!"

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The minotaur looks from Henrik to Rasnak, and finally ventures, "Axe always good for shins. Plantay shin. Lizard shin. Little beardy man shin. Pretty much any shin."

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Let's not test that. You coming?" Henrik tries to lead the minotaur in the direction of the group, signaling to Rasnak to wait with his objections.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The minotaur shrugs, and motions for his two companions to follow as well. The trio doesn't seem hostile, but they stick close together and keep a wary eye on your party. If their experience of life in Enteria's wilderness is at all congruent with your own, that's no more than good sense.

Shortly thereafter, you arrive at the plantation, and the lead minotaur comments, "Uhh. This forest funny looking. All same trees, all in straight lines."

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Yep. That's a plantation. Next thing is killing it. Chopping down the trees is the best way to start."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Narg's brow wrinkles deeply, although its a testament to his bestial features that the furrows are vertical, almost between his ears. "Narg cut trees? Take wood?"

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Rasnak basically squeals with panic and hops around, "No, no take the wood! Bad sspppirit, bad! Desssstroy it all!"

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Once it's all cut down, we'll burn you a nice piece of wood. The ash will be a lot lighter."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Narg's frown deepens. "Narg take not burned wood."

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"We can talk about it after all the trees are cut down. It's funny, in this language 'ash' means a type of tree. Maybe that's what he wanted."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Narg does not seem to have put it together that Henrik was trying to talk him into sabotaging his little band's errand for the spirit, which probably is a good thing. Seven hundred pounds of angry minotaur is a lot more than any reasonable person wants to deal with, and Narg's buddies don't look any smaller than he. There's no way your day could possibly be improved by an Imperial ton of hostile minotaur.

Instead, the minotaur squares up to a bleak banyan tree, unshoulders his axe, and gives the unearthly plant a good chop that shears nearly a quarter of the way through its trunk. The other bull-men fan out and select trees of their own.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Arkenian
Arkenian's picture

Evrinel says firmly to Rasnak, "Who is the funny little man who gives bees knees orange mint? While I normally don't approve of cutting down trees, it seems like a viable option at the moment, but you seem to know more than I do right now."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

In the time it has taken for Evrinel to ask the kobold why he's so upset about Narg's desire to cut down trees and take away the wood, Narg and his comrades have felled three of them. The minotaurs pause for a second to moo back and forth at one another in a language that none of you recognize.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Narg and the other two minotaurs seem to come to some agreement between themselves, and return to work, quickly lopping off the limbs from the newly felled bleak banyans. Despite the lack of plaid flannel shirts, they are doing a credible job as lumberjacks.

But if the minotaurs' intentions were unclear before, it's impossible to mistake them now. It's clear that they're preparing the felled timbers to be hauled away.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Hey cowboy, I got a question for you and herd before you go off. The guy who asked for the sticks, was he an elf wearing a robe with a high pitched voice. Rapier at his side, voluminous clothing, but no pack or anything - seems to show up without leaving a trail?"

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Narg squints at Henrik for a moment, mulling his way through the question. But when he finally answers, he speaks decisively. "Him cloak not loud. Quieter than beardy man."

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Rasnak fidgets with obvious worry, crouched and wringing his claws.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Narg returns to work. His axe shears through the bleak banyan's branches without any great difficulty, until the felled tree is denuded of greenery. Placidly, the minotaur hoists the timber—easily a hundred pounds of green wood—onto his shoulder, and his brethren do likewise with their own. If you're going to stop them from wandering off to hand over the strange spirit's requested timbers, you'll have to act now.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

If there were a time for this odd little encounter to break into violence, now is that time. But even with Rasnak hissing and squealing about bad spirits, none of you really feels like sticking your neck out to stop the minotaurs from harvesting the wood they came for. Or at least, not beyond the token effort represented by Henrik's attempts to talk circles around Narg. At the end of the day, you signed up for a mercenary contract, and meddling in whatever game the Stranger is playing was NOT part of it.

On the other hand, the minotaur and his brothers brought down those trees with impressive speed, and you have a lot of work ahead of you, if you're going to kill every tree in this orchard. It'd be really, really nice to finish what you came to do, and get the hell back to civilization, and aside from being top-notch lumberjacks, Narg and his kinsmen are the first creatures that haven't tried to kill you since you left Baronet Delavee's manor.

In this light, it's no huge surprise when Mbali asks, "Do you have time to chop down more trees, Narg? We could pay you."

The minotaur pauses at this proposal, and then asks, hopefully, "Orange lady give bees knees orange mint, too?"

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Vexandi speaks up, "We have something better to offer, Narg."

Once the bull-headed monster turns his attention to the elf, Vex goes on, "If you and your friends help us chop trees, we'll give you a shiny thing that makes pretty noises. A lute."

"Loot?" Narg asks, sounding hopeful.

"It's a wooden thing with strings that make noises when you pluck them. This lute in particular is shiny. It's made of ebony, and there are diamonds on it. It sparkles," the black-skinned elf replies, sounding like he's doing his very best to drive home how shiny and sparkly is the instrument in question.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Darker

Rasnak, figuring the longer they are delayed the better, joins in, "Yesss, yesss! It is sssso ssshiny! Help ussss chop ssssome treesss and you can have the ssshiny!"

Talanall
Talanall's picture

It takes a little bit more convincing, but after waxing poetic about the shininess of the lute, and the pretty jangling noises it will make, Vexandi and Rasnak manage to sell Narg on the idea of trading it for lumberjacking work from him and his brothers. For today, at least, you've got three minotaurs working with you.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The day's work goes . . . not quickly. No. But you get more done with Narg and the other two minotaurs, who turn out to be called Gruk and Burr. By the time you're ready to stop for the day, somewhat more than half of the orchard has been either cut down or girdled.

You think there are at least another three days of work ahead of you, but you also suspect that you could save a whole day, if you can talk the bull-men into working for you until every tree has been killed. All three minotaurs seem delighted with the lute, so maybe the offer of additional treasure might sway them, especially if you talk it up a bit.

Of course, there's no sign that the minotaurs have packed any food, so keeping them around may also require you to feed them. Hopefully they like dried apricots.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Over the course of the day, you've reached a consensus that you'd all prefer to continue this fucked-up errand with the minotaurs' help rather than without it. And that leads to a second question, which is how you're supposed to keep them around.

The lute you've already given up is lovely and shiny, and it makes nice twangling noises. But Narg and his brothers don't seem terribly interested in additional baubles—minotaurs are simple souls. Or at least, these ones are. Vexandi is finding it hard to sway them, and Rasnak's attempts to help him entice the bull-men into another day's work would probably have more force against another kobold, or possibly a dragon. There are only so many ways to offer shinies to someone.

But the discussion of how to feed them and whether they eat the same foods as the rest of you leads Evrinel to recall that Narg, Gruk, and Burr have already agreed to harvest wood for the Stranger in exchange for some kind of potable . . . and to remember that courtesy of the bleak banyan cartelists, you have a tiny little jar of preserved prism fin sturgeon caviar.

It takes a bit of time, and a lot of talking using short words, but Narg finally agrees to trade another day's labor with you, if you give him and his brothers shelter, feed them, and relinquish the caviar to Narg.

In the aftermath of the deal, Evrinel suggests that he'd really like a chance to talk privately with the group's magical-minded personalities: Vexandi, Rasnak, Henrik, and Leland.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Arkenian
Arkenian's picture

Evrinel looks about the little group he has gathered, "Mostly I am a simple man. I kill people who kill trees, and the world is a better place. This," he gestures back towards the plantation, "Is a great irony. But those things seem more abomination than tree. This stranger wants some of their wood to do . . . something . . . supposedly to protect the forest from unnatural incursion." He shrugs, "Now that last is an admirable goal, but it brings up two questions: First, are these trees evil, or just horrible? Second, whatever they are, can their wood actually be used to a noble purpose? I must admit, my gut instinct is just to burn it to the ground and hope the ashes grow something more wholesome."

Darker

Rasnak becomes agitated at the mention of the stranger again, "The treessss, it drainsss life. Pullssss it out, leaving jusssst dark and evil. They are bad. No good. Bad... bad..." The kobold gives a shake of his head.

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"Worse even than normal trees." Henrik laughs. "That's a joke. Dwarves aren't at war with trees in general, but it's funny how often people bring it up. I don't think these trees are capable of making moral decisions, but their existence is a perversion. Anything made from these trees will be inimical to life, but there is at least the possibility that it is only used against people who are themselves evil. Unlikely, but possible."

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

"We were offered this deal and declined it. If we now actively work to prevent others who accepted it from completing their bargain, we will create ourselves an enemy." Vex ponders.

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland weighs Erinvel's question a moment and reasons, "We were in the process of stripping the bark and leaving the trees to die anyway. Suppose we'd done that before these fine fellows showed up. They would still have their wood, and we would still have our job completed. The when's and the wherefore's make little difference to me." He nods in agreement with Vex. "I don't care to upset whomever hired these three," he begins, "And they seem like decent folk." He leaves out that this whole situation might have been avoided had the group not been so eager to tell the minotaurs exactly where to go.

Arkenian
Arkenian's picture

Evrinel says flatly, "This is not a matter for cowardly pragmatism to play into. If the master of these minotaurs is a threat to the natural order, in this unwholesome place he may be a threat indeed . . . something is wrong in these parts" he grimaces, "beyond what is apparently USUAL" he sneers in contempt at this last word, "and I was not told what or where to find it."
Evrinel shrugs, "If you deem this action not an extraordinary threat to the natural order, then by all means we let it go. I care little for the idiocies so-called civilized people inflict upon one another. If it is, though, then it is my beholden responsibility to stop it or die trying."

Arkenian
Arkenian's picture

After a few moments of silence, Evrinel says quizzically, "So is them taking the wood okay, or should I kill them in their sleep?" He pauses and adds, "If we can find some, poisoning them first might be advisable. With three of them, one of them might wake up before I finish."

Darker

Rasnak nods in approval of the most kobold method of solving their problem, "Yesssss! Thisss is a good plan."

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland gives Rasnak and Erinvel a horrified look and shakes his head. "Let us not make an enemy of whatever it was commissioned our large friends here, and let us not betray them after having them work for us. Good heavens."

Arkenian
Arkenian's picture

Evrinel seems genuinely repelled that he might be agreeing with Rasnak, but doesn't seem to like Leland's answer much better. "I have not been inducted into the mysteries, and so I am obliged to take such counsel as you and the shaman" he nods to Vexandi, "offer. Still, my master warned me that other druidic orders are often full of well-meaning fools and cowards. I urge you to take no counsel of fear for me, or even for others, and put less weight on foolish imperial notions of honor. Honor is to be found only in doing what is right for Nature, and dying well for such a cause would be my privilege."

Dafyd
Dafyd's picture

Leland patiently ignores Erinvel's insults and reasons, "You'll do more for Nature in the long run if you don't go around poisoning people to death for taking things we were prepared to leave unattended anyway. Nature has enough enemies as it is without us needlessly provoking new ones." He adds, "My colleague here doubtlessly has a better sense of this than I do, but even the fey of the forest will be annoyed with us if we develop a treacherous reputation."

deadDMwalking
deadDMwalking's picture

"I didn't sign on to die for nature, but I did agree to risk death for monetary gain. That's the mercenary business," Henrik continues, "but if this thing causes a problem someone will be willing to pay to see it dealt with. Sure, it'd be good to proactively solve problems before they caused anyone trouble, but then nobody would be willing to pay me to solve those problems. I don't mind working myself out of a job, but not if it means I don't even get to drink."

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Vexandi says, "Let me speak with some of the fey again, and ask if they have any new input on this." At that, he stands and moves a short distance away, and begins reaching out for spirits.

Talanall
Talanall's picture

In short order, Vex's awareness bumps up against what he thinks is a pixie, but stronger than the ones that he's been calling upon. Since he just has a few questions that shouldn't take long to answer, he coaxes the sprite away from its home in a glade of flowers off in the Spirit World, and into the material world.

It (or more properly, she) appears a few yards away, and immediately comments in Sylvan, "It's been two centuries since I've so much as laid eyes on a shaman. Bother. Still, I suppose it had to happen sometime." By the tone, this remark is delivered to herself, but the next sentence clearly is meant to address the elf, "You understand me, don't you? I do hope so."

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

"I do, my lady. I am Vexandi Iwu. I did not mean to cause offense. I am in need of some answers, and perhaps advice."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

"Very well," she agrees. "What's the matter?"

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

Well, though he's very curious about this new fey he's called, Vex doesn't push for information about her if she isn't going to offer it freely. He does, however, ask her about the stranger, telling her everything he does know, and asking if she has any ideas as to who he might be, what he might be, and if he could possibly be up to something nefarious with his request for banyan wood.

"We are uncertain how to proceed. If we may prevent some great wrong by acting now, we want to know."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

The pixie reaches into a quiver at her belt and draws out an arrow, and as she contemplates Vexandi's words she uses it to scratch her back, down in between the roots of her wings. At length, she says merely, "It sounds as if your stranger is a spirit of some kind, but I don't think I would care to guess as to the specifics. This isn't the best neighborhood, but we have natural portals hereabouts. The worlds haven't gone all . . . stiff . . . here. Not yet, anyway." She flicks a shred of dry skin off of her arrowhead, and puts away the arrow as she continues, "Anyway, it doesn't sound like anyone I know, and from what you've said about the matter, I don't much care if someone takes away some wood. I wouldn't be too happy about, ah, the cutting of large numbers of healthy native trees. What's the mortal word—"she pauses, and says in Common, "Logging—" before switching back to Sylvan, "But if it's these invasive fruit trees? No problem, so long as you aren't planting rooting them to plant elsewhere, though I don't see why you'd want the stuff otherwise. If something bad comes of it, that'd be because your stranger is a nasty fellow. Unseelie, or a devil or demon or something like that."

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Obsidian_Spoon
Obsidian_Spoon's picture

"Well, thank you none the less. I do not believe I have any further questions. Thank you for talking with me."

After the spirit leaves, Vex returns to the group and informs them the fey had nothing really to add about the stranger, though she wasn't particularly concerned about something taking away the banyan wood.

Arkenian
Arkenian's picture

Evrinel shrugs at Vexandi's report. "Well, seems like we don't need to kill the minotaurs in their sleep after all. Just as well, hardly seemed a fair recompense for helping us kill these nasty trees."

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Having taken a decision, over Rasnak's objections, not to murder the minotaurs in their sleep, what passes for the expedition's ecclesiastical council adjourns. Supper that night is the same as it has been for the past couple of days, consisting of food plundered from the cartel mages' pantry. But at least there's plenty, even accounting for the minotaurs' vast appetites.

That night, rain starts up, but it blows over by dawn.

10 Imogen, 973 IR
After breakfast, at which Narg and his brothers eat a huge portion of food, you get back out to the plantation to continue chopping down trees. Again, the minotaurs show their worth, as does Vexandi's alliance with the magmin. After you've worked for most of the daylight hours, your task is nearly two-thirds done—another day or two of work, you think, and you should be able to get out of this hellhole.

As you're getting ready to head back to your camp, the minotaurs say their farewells, rumbling and mooing excitedly to one another about their bees knees orange mint, and collect fresh logs from the plantation.

Then, despite the fact that it's nearly sunset, the bull-men tramp off into the bushes. Leland is reminded that they are incapable of getting lost, so long as they travel while they're awake. So no doubt they are threading their way through this chilly rainforest towards their rendezvous with their original employer.

For your part, you head back towards Rasnak's clanhold.

There's a spot where your best path to the plantation passes through a low spot, at the bottom of which is a marshy area. You're skirting around the muckiest part of that region when Vexandi hears and sees movement off to the west, but the elf is no more familiar with the animals that inhabit this strange land than are any of the rest of you. He's not sure what to make of the five creatures' long, flat, brown-furred bodies, or their spade-like paws, or the black and white stripes on their heads and faces. But he definitely can tell that they've heard and spotted the expedition, and each one is nearly the size of a small bear.

He isn't sure whether it'd be safe to get any closer, but he also isn't sure whether running away is likely to get all of you chased as prey. The nearest of the creatures is making a grumbling noise that doesn't sound friendly, alerting its companions (and the rest of your expedition) but it appears to be waiting to see what your group does.

OOC
Blue areas are shallow bogs. They have deep mud or standing water of about 1 foot in depth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into a square with a shallow bog, and the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks in such a square increases by 2.

Brown dots that do not take up a whole square are trees. A creature standing in the same square as a tree gains a +2 bonus to Armor Class and a +1 bonus on Reflex saves (these bonuses don’t stack with cover bonuses from other sources). The presence of a tree doesn’t otherwise affect a creature’s fighting space, because it’s assumed that the creature is using the tree to its advantage when it can. Trees have AC 4, hardness 5, and 150 hp. A DC 15 Climb check is sufficient to climb a tree.

Brown dots that consume a square are massive trees that provide cover to anyone behind them. They have AC 3, hardness 5, and 600 hp. It takes a DC 15 Climb check to climb them.

Black haze on a square is undergrowth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into, and it provides concealment (20%). Undergrowth increases the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks by 2 because the leaves and branches get in the way. Running or charging through it is impossible.

Creatures (Black 1 to 5) - 18
Vexandi (Blue 6) - 5

Surprised
Johten (Blue 1)
Evrinel (Blue 2)
Henrik (Blue 3)
Vandersrike (Blue 4)
Rasnak (Blue 5)
Leland (Blue 7)
Raksha (White 1)
Horace the Mule (Lg. White)
Uluwazi (Yellow 1)
Mbali (Yellow 9)
Other Hobs (Yellow 2 to 8)

It is currently Vexandi's turn.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Surprise Round
The dire badgers continue to look distrustfully at the party, growling a warning not to come closer.

Vexandi immediately heeds this warning, very quietly calling for a halt and moving backward. He gets his spear ready for action in case he was too late, but moves as slowly and nonthreateningly as he can.

Round 1
At the first hint of trouble, Vandersrike goes to ground by easing into the nearest stand of undergrowth. Inspired by cowardice, the kobold nearly disappears.

As soon as Vexandi points out the badgers, Leland spies them there and murmers, "Okay. Nice and easy, we're going to back up slowly and go around. We don't want to scare these animals, and we do not want to fight them. Nice. And. Easy." He demonstrates by sliding back, making no sudden movements.

OOC
Blue areas are shallow bogs. They have deep mud or standing water of about 1 foot in depth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into a square with a shallow bog, and the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks in such a square increases by 2.

Brown dots that do not take up a whole square are trees. A creature standing in the same square as a tree gains a +2 bonus to Armor Class and a +1 bonus on Reflex saves (these bonuses don’t stack with cover bonuses from other sources). The presence of a tree doesn’t otherwise affect a creature’s fighting space, because it’s assumed that the creature is using the tree to its advantage when it can. Trees have AC 4, hardness 5, and 150 hp. A DC 15 Climb check is sufficient to climb a tree.

Brown dots that consume a square are massive trees that provide cover to anyone behind them. They have AC 3, hardness 5, and 600 hp. It takes a DC 15 Climb check to climb them.

Black haze on a square is undergrowth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into, and it provides concealment (20%). Undergrowth increases the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks by 2 because the leaves and branches get in the way. Running or charging through it is impossible.

Initiative
Vandersrike (Blue 4) - 23
Leland (Blue 7) - 20a
Raksha (White 1) - 20b
Horace the Mule (Lg. White) - 20c
Rasnak (Blue 5) - 20d
Creatures (Black 1 to 5) - 18
Henrik (Blue 3) - 16a
Uluwazi (Yellow 1) - 16b
Mbali (Yellow 9) - 12a
Hobs (Yellow 2 to 8) - 12b
Johten (Blue 1) - 8
Vexandi (Blue 6) - 5

It is currently Rasnak's turn.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Rasnak follows suit from Vandersrike, disappearing into the undergrowth. Unlike the larger kobold, he does a poor job of moving silently, and it's likely that someone with senses as keen as a dire badger's would be able to track him just by the noise.

But that may be a good thing—the badgers continue to refrain from attacking, although they remain alert and on guard, watching you intently and continuing to grumble in warning. It's possible that Rasnak has done such a poor job of being quiet that he has been dismissed as a potential threat.

OOC
Blue areas are shallow bogs. They have deep mud or standing water of about 1 foot in depth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into a square with a shallow bog, and the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks in such a square increases by 2.

Brown dots that do not take up a whole square are trees. A creature standing in the same square as a tree gains a +2 bonus to Armor Class and a +1 bonus on Reflex saves (these bonuses don’t stack with cover bonuses from other sources). The presence of a tree doesn’t otherwise affect a creature’s fighting space, because it’s assumed that the creature is using the tree to its advantage when it can. Trees have AC 4, hardness 5, and 150 hp. A DC 15 Climb check is sufficient to climb a tree.

Brown dots that consume a square are massive trees that provide cover to anyone behind them. They have AC 3, hardness 5, and 600 hp. It takes a DC 15 Climb check to climb them.

Black haze on a square is undergrowth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into, and it provides concealment (20%). Undergrowth increases the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks by 2 because the leaves and branches get in the way. Running or charging through it is impossible.

Initiative
Vandersrike (Blue 4) - 23
Leland (Blue 7) - 20a
Raksha (White 1) - 20b
Horace the Mule (Lg. White) - 20c
Rasnak (Blue 5) - 20d
Creatures (Black 1 to 5) - 18
Henrik (Blue 3) - 16a
Uluwazi (Yellow 1) - 16b
Mbali (Yellow 9) - 12a
Hobs (Yellow 2 to 8) - 12b
Evrinel (Blue 2) - 11
Johten (Blue 1) - 8
Vexandi (Blue 6) - 5

It is currently Henrik's turn.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Talanall
Talanall's picture

Henrik continues the party's slow withdrawal from the badgers. Judging from the look on the dwarf's face, he has something "witty" he wants to say about that, but he keeps his mouth tightly shut for once.

Uluwasi doesn't really do anything except get his spear ready and wait, but the rest of the hobs, led by Mbali, back away from the cete of enormous badgers, leaving just Evrinel and Johten.

OOC
Blue areas are shallow bogs. They have deep mud or standing water of about 1 foot in depth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into a square with a shallow bog, and the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks in such a square increases by 2.

Brown dots that do not take up a whole square are trees. A creature standing in the same square as a tree gains a +2 bonus to Armor Class and a +1 bonus on Reflex saves (these bonuses don’t stack with cover bonuses from other sources). The presence of a tree doesn’t otherwise affect a creature’s fighting space, because it’s assumed that the creature is using the tree to its advantage when it can. Trees have AC 4, hardness 5, and 150 hp. A DC 15 Climb check is sufficient to climb a tree.

Brown dots that consume a square are massive trees that provide cover to anyone behind them. They have AC 3, hardness 5, and 600 hp. It takes a DC 15 Climb check to climb them.

Black haze on a square is undergrowth. It costs 2 squares of movement to move into, and it provides concealment (20%). Undergrowth increases the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks by 2 because the leaves and branches get in the way. Running or charging through it is impossible.

Initiative
Vandersrike (Blue 4) - 23
Leland (Blue 7) - 20a
Raksha (White 1) - 20b
Horace the Mule (Lg. White) - 20c
Rasnak (Blue 5) - 20d
Creatures (Black 1 to 5) - 18
Henrik (Blue 3) - 16a
Uluwazi (Yellow 1) - 16b
Mbali (Yellow 9) - 12a
Hobs (Yellow 2 to 8) - 12b
Evrinel (Blue 2) - 11
Johten (Blue 1) - 8
Vexandi (Blue 6) - 5

It is currently Evrinel's turn.

Wæs se grimma gæst Grendel haten,
mære mearcstapa, se þe moras heold

Pages